Edge rushers still available in free agency

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

What teams cut 2nd rders after 2 seasons unless they're caught with a gun or sexually assaulting someone?

What cost effective player are you signing to replace him? Dumb take

Guess you don’t have a sense of humor.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Anyone we sign after the draft doesn't count towards the formula. That's when I'm guessing a lot of these guys will be signed.

The one that really intrigues me is Ngakoue but I have no clue what kind of AAV he'll be looking at. This late in the offseason you'd have to assume it will be cheaper than expected. Is there any way we could get him for 1 year $5 million or something like that? That's probably the ceiling of what we can afford.

Beane has around $6M left.  Barely enough to cover rookies, PS and IR replacements and a couple million for the season.

I see that 1 $5M type signing as the tops he can go.  It would mean he gets some money out or Taron Johnson's contract and maybe Morse.

Going to the well again with Diggs, Dawkins and White seem counterproductive.  There really isn't anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

Given the tight cap situation, it would be interesting to see if the Bills can nab a decent vet pass rusher, I wouldn't hate brining back Shaq Lawson as the 4th DE on the roster he was solid last year and will only be 29. But if they can somehow get a more productive vet to help the young guys hold down the front until Von gets back that's huge.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

There are still a lot of edge rushers available. Full list here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge/available/

A few names that jump out to me:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

Dunlap for DT and Houston for outside.

19 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Everyone sleeping on AJ and Groot

AJ  has been here awhile and is just a guy, groot is good but we need more than him

8 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

We tried to crowd-source the edge rushing with second-tiered 10M pass rushers like Addison - Hughes in 20-21 and it did not work.  Would rather pay 16-18 for the real deal like last year which was working great until that horrendous turf in Detroit ruined my life. 

IMO you're missing the point that Hughes and Addison were our best pass rushers. That caliber of player would be pretty useful as the 2nd pass rusher after a guy like Von Miller.

As far as the answer to our pass rush problems, two words... Kingsley Jonathan.

Or is it Jonathan Kingsley?

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Everyone sleeping on AJ and Groot

Never underestimate the motivational impact of a walk year.   AJ had 6.5 sacks on just 38% of snaps and flashed a high ceiling as a pass rusher.  Which has been surprising because he didn't seem to have that potential in his bag as more of a base DE at Iowa.  His weaknesses are correctable.   

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So far the Bills haven't signed a single edge rusher in free agency. I can't be the only one that thinks this is still a need, not with Von Miller's timetable being up in the air.

There are still a lot of edge rushers available. Full list here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge/available/

A few names that jump out to me:

Bud Dupree

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Carlos Dunlap

I'm guessing some of these will be signed after the draft. What should our plan be?

Plan should be that months ago they picked the guys they didn't want and eliminate them. Of the others, establish contract limitations that would be acceptable for the team for each guy.

Then tell them we're not picking up anyone before the comp pick formula effect deadline, the Thursday or Friday of the week after the draft, if I remember correctly. Then either tell them what we'll give or keep it a bit nebulous if that provides a bargaining advantage. Wait and see what happens.

A couple of these guys look really good to me. But I doubt they will be affordable under the financial plans the Bills have made to deal with the cap over the next few years.

Edited by Thurman#1

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Melvin Ingram has been a thorn in our sides before, seems like he'd be worth a look. 

Unfortunately, Dupree has never been the same since the ACL. 

Justin Houston can still get after it as well. 

These are my two favorites. IMO they wouldn't fit into our financial plans unless they give large discounts. Which is I suppose possible but surely unlikely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.