NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

Scouts and GMs badmouth every draft class…if the class sucks, then they can’t be blamed for coming away with mediocre players.  

To an extent, sure. But I think this class is different. I think it just legitimately isn't very good. That doesn't mean there won't be any good players from it, of course there will. They will be fewer than most other years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

To an extent, sure. But I think this class is different. I think it just legitimately isn't very good. That doesn't mean there won't be any good players from it, of course there will. They will be fewer than most other years. 

I dunno…it seems like a pretty weak class at WR and IDL, but quite strong and deep at CB, Edge and TE…average at O-line and pretty decent at QB. Not seeing how it’s so awful.  Seems at least as good as last year.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I dunno…it seems like a pretty week class at WR and IDL, but quite strong and deep at CB, Edge and TE…average at O-line and pretty decent at QB. Not seeing how it’s so awful.  Seems at least as good as last year.

I think it’s more of the top tier talent that’s being talked about as being poor.  Which i agree with.  I wouldn’t want to be picking in the top 10

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think it’s more of the top tier talent that’s being talked about as being poor.  Which i agree with.  I wouldn’t want to be picking in the top 10

Well there certainly doesn’t seem to be a consensus on the top picks, but I’m not sure it’s poor.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I dunno…it seems like a pretty week class at WR and IDL, but quite strong and deep at CB, Edge and TE…average at O-line and pretty decent at QB. Not seeing how it’s so awful.  Seems at least as good as last year.

Corner and Tight End are the two spots where I think it genuinely, through rounds 1-3, has good depth. But that is like 6 or 7 tight ends... it is better than a normal top end tight end class but that is a low numbers position. I think it is slightly above average at Edge, and it has good round 3/4 type depth at IOL. But it is weak at tackle, weak at IDL, weak at linebacker, weaker than most recent drafts at receiver... and it is just generally lacking blue chippers. 

Because round 1 is weak you are going to have lost half your round 2 board by the end of round 1. And at least a third of your round 3 board by the end of round 2. And to your point yesterday..... while I have never had more than 32 'round' or 'tier' or 'cluster' 1 grades.... I have had more than 32 'round' or 'tier' or 'cluster' 2 grades multiple times. I do this year too (just). I have 34. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness to him he got Neal - Giants too although at the wrong spot. 

Okay.  Two.  Still pretty poor for an expert who claims to be plugged in across the league.  I guess he's plugged into New Jersey.

• Haha (+1) 1

For a lot of the leadup to the 2023 NFL Draft, the consensus top offensive line prospect was Northwestern's Peter Skoronski. Skoronski, however, has been recently overtaken in the process by Ohio State's Paris Johnson. Johnson has a better skill set alongside more length, which in combination project him to being a prototypical left tackle. Skoronski has slid somewhat since the coaches have gotten involved in the 2023 NFL Draft process. Sources from multiple teams said the coaches lowered Skoronski on their team draft boards because they project him to playing guard only. Some scouts felt Skoronski could remain at tackle, but many coaches did not see things that way because of his short arms and lack of length. Hence, Skoronski had a late-in-the-process slide. That being said, teams feel Skoronski should a very safe pick to become a good pro starter. They think he could start for 10 years and be rock solid in both phases. While he is not considered sexy, sources across the league feel that Skoronski is simply a good football player.

In the last week, some media like NBC's Peter King have projected the New York Giants to take a tight end in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft. Even though the Giants traded for a dynamic mismatch weapon in Darren Waller, these media members project them to add to the position. In speaking to sources with the Giants, they view that as very unlikely. Picking late in the first round makes it harder to project who will be available, but Giants sources don't think the 2023 NFL Draft will likely play out in such a way that selecting a tight end will be the franchise's best option at pick No. 25. It sounds more likely that top candidates for the Giants include USC wide receiver Jordan Addison, Boston College wide receiver Zay Flowers, and TCU wide receiver Quentin Johnston. Iowa linebacker Jack Campbell is a darkhorse candidate for the Giants if there is a run on receivers so there are not good wideout options available.

Early in the 2023 NFL Draft process, sources with Tampa Bay really liked Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer and Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson. Bucs evaluators felt that Mayer was just a good football player and felt the concerns of other scouts about his skill set as something lacking was overthinking. They also placed a good amount a lot of Richardson's shortcomings on the Florida coaching staff, saying that the new Gators staff did not know how to use Richardson well and did not do a good job of developing his incredible talent. The Bucs probably won't select Mayer in the 2023 NFL Draft because of other needs, and Richardson most likely won't make it to them at pick No. 19. Richardson might intrigue Tampa Bay, but the team may not be willing to give up a package of picks to move up for him.

In every NFL draft, some veteran players are shopped around and teams are making calls trying to acquire a veteran. One player to watch this year is Lions running back D'Andre Swift. Teams have been calling Detroit to see if Swift is available after the franchise signed David Montgomery in free agency. Swift has played really well for Detroit when on the field, but has had a hard time staying healthy. Swift is in the last year of his contract, so teams probably won't be willing to give up anything more than a mid-round pick. Swift will be an interesting player to monitor because some teams are interested in making a deal for the fourth-year pro.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Corner and Tight End are the two spots where I think it genuinely, through rounds 1-3, has good depth. But that is like 6 or 7 tight ends... it is better than a normal top end tight end class but that is a low numbers position. I think it is slightly above average at Edge, and it has good round 3/4 type depth at IOL. But it is weak at tackle, weak at IDL, weak at linebacker, weaker than most recent drafts at receiver... and it is just generally lacking blue chippers. 

Because round 1 is weak you are going to have lost half your round 2 board by the end of round 1. And at least a third of your round 3 board by the end of round 2. And to your point yesterday..... while I have never had more than 32 'round' or 'tier' or 'cluster' 1 grades.... I have had more than 32 'round' or 'tier' or 'cluster' 2 grades multiple times. I do this year too (just). I have 34. 

Most importantly, the QBs are nothing to write home about, right? None of those guys really impress me.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Have you looked at Campbell's most recent mock? Don't like it. O'Cyrus Torrence G, Gervon Dexter DT, Zacch Pickens DT, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB, Ryan Hayes OT, Ivan Pace, Jr LB

Torrence is not a fit for Kromer and Campbell admits Torrence is a sloppy body type, then two DTs and a CB. No WR or TE, not one offensive weapon.

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Have you looked at Campbell's most recent mock? Don't like it. O'Cyrus Torrence G, Gervon Dexter DT, Zacch Pickens DT, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB, Ryan Hayes OT, Ivan Pace, Jr LB

Torrence is not a fit for Kromer and Campbell admits Torrence is a sloppy body type, then two DTs and a CB. No WR or TE, not one offensive weapon.

If they can’t make a talent like Torrence fit then they need to find new coaches.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If they can’t make a talent like Torrence fit then they need to find new coaches.  

He might be the pick. The folks I trust on this board are not high on him. In general, I am for upgrading the oline, so naturally I hope it works out well if that is how the draft unfolds. My critique of Campbell's mock involves the various choices as a whole. I can see DT early, but not back-to-back. This is a draft with superior TE talent and the Bills have had a few in for visits, so I think it disappointing he has no TEs or WRs among our selections.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I love reading your draft posts, keep up the great work! It is certainly appreciated. 👍

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

A CBS Sports Mock has us moving up to Ravens pick, mentions the Bills put the word out they are looking to move up.

Seems Addison is the name we’re most frequently tied to now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I don't think the Bills are moving up.  Lack of draft capital....they need to add all the bodies they can as they approach cap crunch coming next year.

While probably true .. We don’t necessarily have that many open spots on the potential in-season roster.  Beane goes hard in filling in the roster before the draft.  No sense in drafting guys just to have them poached - which has been happening in recent years. 

Allen/Allen (2)

Dawkins/Brown/Q/Doyle (4)

Morse/Bates/McG/Edwards/Ike (5)

Knox/Morris (2)

Cook/Harris/Hines (3)

Diggs/Davis/Harty/Shakir/Sherfield (5)

Von/Rousseau/AJ/Shaq/Boogie (5)

Ed/Jones/Settle/Phillips (4)

Milano/Klein/Bernard/Dodson/Spector/Matakevich (6)

White/Elam/Jackson/Johnson/Neal/Benford (6)

Hyde/Poyer/Rapp/Hamlin/Zayne (5)

Bass/Ferguson/Martin (3)

(( 50 ))

We could certainly use upgrades at RT, WR & LB, with DT, EDGE & S being upgradeable and/or looking to the future, but where are we putting 6 draft picks?  Many of these guys are locks, some likely locks and some ST’s guys… I don’t see many cut candidates on the 50 I listed. 

Maybe Zayne, brought in for ST’s gets bumped.  

Maybe Ike or Edwards in favor of a rookie IOL.  

Morris for a TE2 if he can clear waivers and we only keep two. 

Maybe Quessenberry for an OT.  

DT is bizarre contractually, and I guess maybe they could cut Settle. 

EDGE, again, would be a surprise cut or keeping six. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

While probably true .. We don’t necessarily have that many open spots on the potential in-season roster.  Beane goes hard in filling in the roster before the draft.  No sense in drafting guys just to have them poached - which has been happening in recent years. 

We could certainly use upgrades at RT, WR & LB, with DT, EDGE & S being upgradeable and/or looking to the future, but where are we putting 6 draft picks?

The Chiefs rostered all 11 picks last draft.  The idea is you get guys who are BETTER (and cheaper) than some of what you already have.  

Also...most teams go into drafts with enough of a roster that if you had to play a game tommorrow...they could field a team and backups.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

The Chiefs rostered all 11 picks last draft.  The idea is you get guys who are BETTER (and cheaper) than some of what you already have.  

Also...most teams go into drafts with enough of a roster that if you had to play a game tommorrow...they could field a team and backups.  

I understand that, but most of the guys I listed were on the team last year and/or are likely making the team this year.  

I’d be interested in hearing from those who know our team intimately if they could foresee us (trades aside) rostering six draft picks.   IMO, it would require some surprising decisions. 

It’ll never happen….

but I’m intrigued about the Bills selecting 

OT Anton Harrison & OT Dawand Jones

I’m not a big Dion Dawkins fan and it would be nice to have a talented player in Harrison push him for starting LT

Jones could be available at 59 due weight/character concerns.  Him just taking the field and standing there is already an upgrade from Spencer at RT. If he can be reached/motivated by coaches, he’s an elite RT fast

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I feel the need. The need for speed.

Highly Athletic + SEC Production + Age

I’d bet the Bills have a high grade on him

That top speed statistic is intriguing. I was disappointed by his 4.40 40 time. But maybe he is just a little slow to accelerate. I've come back around to loving the idea of Hyatt at pick 27. He needs to eventually develop a lot more route concepts to prove worthy of that high selection but even as a rookie I think his current skill set fits really well into this offense.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That top speed statistic is intriguing. I was disappointed by his 4.40 40 time. But maybe he is just a little slow to accelerate. I've come back around to loving the idea of Hyatt at pick 27. He needs to eventually develop a lot more route concepts to prove worthy of that high selection but even as a rookie I think his current skill set fits really well into this offense.

Agreed. I think he stumbled or tripped a bit out of his stance in the 40 time. His game speed is blazing. He clocked in the 4.2’s in high school. He can learn routes and develop with Diggs and DHop on either wing haha. He actually does show some pretty good subtle moves with his feet on breaks 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I understand that, but most of the guys I listed were on the team last year and/or are likely making the team this year.  

I’d be interested in hearing from those who know our team intimately if they could foresee us (trades aside) rostering six draft picks.   IMO, it would require some surprising decisions. 

Yeah I suspect there are a lot of guys you think will make the team that are far from roster locks.  Kyle Allen at QB,  Harris at RB, Sherfield at WR, Edwards and Boettger at G,  Quess and Doyle at tackle..........all could lose their jobs to a rookie with potential or if they just flop in OTA's or can't practice due to injuries etc. in camp like OJ Howard did.   And that's just the offense.   Plenty of room for 10+ rookies if they had the picks or got priority to the UDFA's they want.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Isn't the potential knock here that he was a fast guy running like 3 basic routes in a very college offense? Operating within the complex nuances of an NFL offense could involve a serious learning curve.

I don't disagree that the Bills probably love the traits, though.

Edit: just watched some highlights and well he sure can pick em up and put em down. Seems like a Beane-y WR prospect.

Edited by Richard Noggin

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Isn't the potential knock here that he was a fast guy running like 3 basic routes in a very college offense? Operating within the complex nuances of an NFL offense could involve a serious learning curve.

He does have a limited route tree and the Tennessee offense schemed him open in ways that won't happen in the pros. You're gambling on traits a fair bit, but they're good ones.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

If we were to draft him and acquire DHop, in 3 or 4WR sets he’s going to beat man or zone coverage deep. A lot. 

That would put a ton of stress on defenses and what to do with their safeties.

Josh could just throw it 60 yards to him 3-4 times a game 

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Sure, but I think people have a tendency to way overthink this stuff. It happened with DK Metcalf too. "We don't know if he can run every route." Well, turns out he's pretty damn good at the ones he does run. Hyatt can run lightning fast, he tracks the deep ball very well, he has good hands, he's competitive on the field, he has proven production against top college defenses. Sounds like a no brainer to me. But again, "we don't know if he can run every route." Take the obvious pro traits and figure out the rest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure, but I think people have a tendency to way overthink this stuff. It happened with DK Metcalf too. "We don't know if he can run every route." Well, turns out he's pretty damn good at the ones he does run. Hyatt can run lightning fast, he tracks the deep ball very well, he has good hands, he's competitive on the field, he has proven production against top college defenses. Sounds like a no brainer to me. But again, "we don't know if he can run every route." Take the obvious pro traits and figure out the rest.

agreed. I don’t need someone that runs like hyatt to run a full route tree.

(edit: as long as he can catch the ball)

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Agree 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we were to draft him and acquire DHop, in 3 or 4WR sets he’s going to beat man or zone coverage deep. A lot. 

That would put a ton of stress on defenses and what to do with their safeties.

Josh could just throw it 60 yards to him 3-4 times a game 

This is an intensely oversimplified best case projection. The NFL doesn't really work like this. Defenses catch up to specific schemes and personnel groupings.

It could work occasionally, sure, if there's enough protection AND enough threat of short and intermediate route concepts underneath the deep stuff and/or a solid rushing threat from the same spread concepts to draw defenses down out of deep safety shells. 

11 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is an intensely oversimplified best case projection. The NFL doesn't really work like this. Defenses catch up to specific schemes and personnel groupings.

It could work occasionally, sure, if there's enough protection AND enough threat of short and intermediate route concepts underneath the deep stuff and/or a solid rushing threat from the same spread concepts to draw defenses down out of deep safety shells. 

Come on now.   You gotta' play along.   Like when the Bills play action to their elite 1st round RB they will have a field day throwing over the top because teams will be FORCED to take their extra DB off the field and go with 3 LB's to stop said RB.    Sure, the Bills own defense basically never comes out of the 4-2-5........regardless of how great the RB is..........but other teams will fear a RB running for 5 yards per carry more than they fear Josh Allen passing the ball.  

• Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Not for nothing and something to keep in mind. The 2 NFL comparisons I've seen on Torrence the most have been Saffold and Incognito. Both guys were coached and had really solid success under Kromer at points in their career. The "sloppy body type" comment that Campbell made seemed a bit weird. However, the Bills have one of the top end training and nutrition staffs in the NFL and I'd be confident they can assist there. I haven't heard anything about him being particularly unmotivated or lazy, so my hunch is that he can turn that around.

The body comment on Torrance reminds me somewhat of the chatter about Jordan Davis from last year close to the draft. I believe Torrence would be a solid pick...however I think he will be gone before pick 27. 

• Vomit 1

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I know I have said it before but my favourite thing about him is how well he locates and tracks the football. The more you watch him on tape the more you think man that is elite level ball tracking. For a guy who catches so many balls deep down the field he is in position to make the catch so consistently. He is up there with Tyler Lockett as one of the best deep ball trackers I have seen. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yep. DK still doesn't run the whole route tree. Do you think Seattle care? I'm not taking a receiver in the top 10 that can't run the route tree, but nobody is asking Beane to. He is at #27. I actually think the release package is the bigger question. They schemed him a lot of free releases at Tennessee. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I suspect there are a lot of guys you think will make the team that are far from roster locks.  Kyle Allen at QB,  Harris at RB, Sherfield at WR, Edwards and Boettger at G,  Quess and Doyle at tackle..........all could lose their jobs to a rookie with potential or if they just flop in OTA's or can't practice due to injuries etc. in camp like OJ Howard did.   And that's just the offense.   Plenty of room for 10+ rookies if they had the picks or got priority to the UDFA's they want.

Yea agreed, although I wouldn't bank on them having 10+ good enough to win spots. But there are absolutely slots there to be won - particularly on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.