McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

Andy Reid calls the offense in KC, has won two championships so I don’t think he is wasting his time…, 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Andy Reid calls the offense in KC, has won two championships so I don’t think he is wasting his time…, 

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

McDermott calling defense is what got him a HC gig in the first place…..just saying.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, streetkings01 said:

McDermott calling defense is what got him a HC gig in the first place…..just saying.

Right. And now he has a new job that has an entire set of new, higher pressure responsibilities.

Just now, Charles Romes said:

Are McDermott’s tendencies any different from the conservative play calling we have seen from Frazier?  

Seems so, yes. We were much more aggressive when he temporarily took over in 2018(?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

Focus on head coaching before you start trying to take DC responsibilities on as well

This is not a good idea imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Which was assumed. 

I’m really looking forward to this .

Me too! I think we'll see a great deal of improvement with the players we have.  He said he wanted to be more aggressive and have an edge.

I'm willing to bet he wants to really put a stamp on it....and stamp on QBs as well. The defense should finally be fun to watch.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

Are McDermott’s tendencies any different from the conservative play calling we have seen from Frazier?  

He took over play calling for 2 games or so either in 20 or 21 and it improved the D alot. 

If Elam makes that jump, our secondary will be filthy with disguises , man and zone mixed up. Seems to have a great feel for play calling 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If McDermott was planning on running the same type of D this year, he would have given the play calling to one of his minions.

I'm really thinking he is installing a new D and will hand it over to someone else next year.

If my speculation is correct, I can't see why anyone would not like this plan.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But its not just Reid. It's actually really common for HCs that were OCs to call the plays. Off the top of my head, this is the list:

• Nick Siriani
  • Zach Taylor
  • Sean McVey
  • Kevin O'Connell 
  • Kyle Shanahan
  • Mike McDaniel
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Matt LaFleur

There are probably more of them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

If McDermott was planning on running the same type of D this year, he would have given the play calling to one of his minions.

I'm really thinking he is installing a new D and will hand it over to someone else next year.

If my speculation is correct, I can't see why anyone would not like this plan.

If your speculation is correct, then I LOVE this plan. But there's nothing indicating it's not gonna be the same ol soft Tampa 2 we've always seen. Might just have a few more aggressive play calls.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

But its not just Reid. It's actually really common for HCs that were OCs to call the plays. Off the top of my head, this is the list:

• Nick Siriani
  • Zach Taylor
  • Sean McVey
  • Kevin O'Connell 
  • Kyle Shanahan
  • Mike McDaniel
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Matt LaFleur

Now do Defense.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Bills Fan in MD said:

I'm as skeptical as anyone that McDermott has the bandwidth to take this on, but give the guy credit from an accountability perspective.

If the D crumbles again in the post-season, it's 100% on him.  No excuses.

I'm not skeptical at all. It's how he made a living before becoming a HC and he was very good at it. I think we see a more aggressive defense this year, which from what we've seen on this board over the last few months, is exactly what fans have been begging for.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If your speculation is correct, then I LOVE this plan. But there's nothing indicating it's not gonna be the same ol soft Tampa 2 we've always seen. Might just have a few more aggressive play calls.

If that is true, it makes no sense not to just have Butler or Babich do the calls.  They know the D as well as anyone, including Frazier.

Frazier leaving the way he did and McDermott taking over (yes, it's unusual) IS my evidence.  We will have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

I dunno.

If I'm Terry and this is the best McD can come up with this year, I'm thinking "Then why am I paying you HC wages if you are just a DC? As HC, why cant you build a staff properly?"

But I do agree with the accountability aspect. Again, if I'm Terry I'm also thinking "Ok, but any drop off or disappointment by the Defense puts you on the hot seat"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I like it better than promoting a guy who hasn't earned it

i 100% agree with this while also not liking this decision.

mcd has greater things to worry about and that the org didn't have a plan beyond frazier is interesting. even if he announced it without informing the Bills they still should have had a plan in place. you can't be a business like the nfl and not have every layer ready to peel.

• Like (+1) 1

he didn't let his pal and ass't head coach frazier walk to call the exact same plays.

He is feeling pressure (could be from up top, could be from himself) and is going to apply that pressure to the whole organization.

given we are minus edmunds and plus tre, hyde, poyers leg, and von, i think we are a stronger D than we were last year.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember a game against the Chargers when Frazier was calling the plays and our defense was getting slaughtered. McDermott took over the play calling in the 2nd half and the defense did a complete turnaround. I think the Bills should stick to this plan and let McDermott call the defense. We may see our best defense yet in McDermott's tenure.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

i 100% agree with this while also not liking this decision.

mcd has greater things to worry about and that the org didn't have a plan beyond frazier is interesting. even if he announced it without informing the Bills they still should have had a plan in place. you can't be a business like the nfl and not have every layer ready to peel.

Right, @Captain Hindsight is merely replacing one bad management decision with another bad management decision.

There's yet another alternative, which is bringing in a capable DC, elevating yourself to true HC status, and trusting your hires to do their jobs so you can do yours.

But again, I do like it from an accountability perspective. It just sucks it had to get that far and need to be so accountable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Now do Defense.

1. Bill Belichick
  2. Todd Bowles
  3. Dennis Allen
  4. DeMeco Ryans is probably going to call the plays in Houston

Outside of BB, not the best list. It must be noted that this might not work, and it would not be unheard of for this to change before week 1. He has someone on the defensive staff that has called plays in the NFL before so a change could happen after he sees how it goes in the preseason. Brian Daboll intended to call the plays in NY, but ended up handing that to Kafka.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:
  1. Bill Belichick
  2. Todd Bowles
  3. Dennis Allen

Outside of BB, not the best list. It must be noted that this might not work, and it would not be unheard of for this to change before week 1. He has someone on the defensive staff that has called plays in the NFL before so a change could happen after he sees how it goes in the preseason. Brian Daboll intended to call the plays in NY, but ended up handing that to Kafka.

It shouldn't change before the season imo. McDermott is the best defensive mind on the coaching staff.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:
  1. Bill Belichick
  2. Todd Bowles
  3. Dennis Allen

Thank you for digging that up. Yeah, not a great list when it comes to D coaches. Belichick is an entire different breed, and McD is no BB.

I do think it could change too. Hence, why I pointed out McDs coach-speak of "the current plan". That could literally change tomorrow.

Thanks again, good stuff.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It shouldn't change before the season imo. McDermott is the best defensive mind on the coaching staff.

That's the problem.

As leader of my team at work, I need to be the ultimate decision maker and see the bigger picture, but I absolutely hire people smarter than me in their specific field and often tell them "If it ends up with ME pressing the keys, then we've gone horribly wrong".

Well, McD is pressing keys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

• Nick Siriani
  • Zach Taylor
  • Sean McVey
  • Kevin O'Connell 
  • Kyle Shanahan
  • Mike McDaniel
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Matt LaFleur

Stefanski in Cleveland 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you for digging that up. Yeah, not a great list when it comes to D coaches. Belichick is an entire different breed, and McD is no BB.

I do think it could change too. Hence, why I pointed out McDs coach-speak of "the current plan". That could literally change tomorrow.

Thanks again, good stuff.

That's the problem.

As leader of my team at work, I need to be the ultimate decision maker and see the bigger picture, but I absolutely hire people smarter than me in their specific field and often tell them "If it ends up with ME pressing the keys, then we've gone horribly wrong".

Well, McD is pressing keys.

Former coordinators calling plays as a HC has been going on forever. That's 100% a non factor. Who is he hiring that's proven to be a better DC than he was in Carolina? 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.