McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Former coordinators calling plays as a HC has been going on forever. That's 100% a non factor. Who is he hiring that's proven to be a better DC than he was in Carolina? 

It works on with Offense sometimes, sure. Not historically with Defense.

To the bold, THAT is exactly one of the things he is being paid millions of dollars as a HC to figure out.

Not having a replacement/improvement ready is mismanagement.

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

It works on with Offense sometimes, sure. Not historically with Defense.

To the bold, THAT is exactly one of the things he is being paid millions of dollars as a HC to figure out.

Not having a replacement/improvement ready is mismanagement.

Unless it was his plan all along to take over the playing once Frazier left. Who says Frazier wasn't forced out so McDermott could take over. If it's reached this point and my butt is on the line and I'm more than qualified to do so, I'm calling the plays.

• Agree 2

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Unless it was his plan all along to take over the playing once Frazier left. Who says Frazier wasn't forced out so McDermott could take over. If it's reached this point and my butt is on the line and I'm more than qualified to do so, I'm calling the plays.

I've said all over this thread that I can kinda appreciate it from that accountability stand point.

I HATE that it has had to come to that point tho.

I also think that being the plan all along is a BAD PLAN. Even if you disagree with that opinion. Your red X's have no power here! :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Focus on head coaching before you start trying to take DC responsibilities on as well

This is not a good idea imo

I agree wholeheartedly.  After the 13 seconds debacle, adding anything onto McDermott's plate isn't going to be a good idea.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Mentioning the Browns as any example only helps my case! :thumbsup:

Sure. It’s easy to rip on the Browns, but offensive play calling hasn’t been their issue since Stefanski was hired. He’s actually done well all things considered. And then there’s the fact that both SB teams had HCs that call plays on one side of the ball. So….

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've said all over this thread that I can kinda appreciate it from that accountability stand point.

I HATE that it has had to come to that point tho.

I also think that being the plan all along is a BAD PLAN. Even if you disagree with that opinion. Your red X's have no power here! :thumbsup:

You HATE it, I LOVE it. We'll see who's right come playoff time.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you for digging that up. Yeah, not a great list when it comes to D coaches. Belichick is an entire different breed, and McD is no BB.

I do think it could change too. Hence, why I pointed out McDs coach-speak of "the current plan". That could literally change tomorrow.

Thanks again, good stuff.

That's the problem.

As leader of my team at work, I need to be the ultimate decision maker and see the bigger picture, but I absolutely hire people smarter than me in their specific field and often tell them "If it ends up with ME pressing the keys, then we've gone horribly wrong".

Well, McD is pressing keys.

Your analogy is well taken, but not directly comparable.

It'd be more like your team is pressing the keys still, but you are going into the meeting and describing what they did.  

In this case, nobody knows how much this detracts from his day-to-day VS just on gameday itself.  McDermott likely wants the control, for various reasons, on gameday.  But he could be having his staff handling more of the preparation/key pressing as you say.

Without knowing the exact ins and outs of how this will work, its WAY too early to say either way.

All we know is Coach had been one heck of a DC before.  As many mentioned, different HCs have balanced coordinating roles too and been successful (doesn't matter if it's OC or DC).

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure. It’s easy to rip on the Browns, but offensive play calling hasn’t been their issue since Stefanski was hired. He’s actually done well all things considered. And then there’s the fact that both SB teams had HCs that call plays on one side of the ball. So….

Offense, offense, offense.

Yes, it's good to have an Offensive genius on your team, and Teams will promote the top innovative OCs to HC in order to have that talent in house.

But we're talking soft-ass Tampa 2 Defense for our HC.

Forgive me for being less than thrilled with the idea.

• Dislike 2

47 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Focus on head coaching before you start trying to take DC responsibilities on as well

This is not a good idea imo

He’s a defensive HC and he wants his team to play HIS defense.  There has never been any doubt that McD wants HIS defense being run and Frazier was a perfect guy to call the D because he’s had so much experience in it (and exp coaching with McD).  

Knowing that, should he bring someone in, teach them everything he wants and hope he can comprehend, learn and retain everything by opening day so he can call plays for a Super Bowl contender?  Should he have promote Washington?  The guy that has been in charge of developing the DL that we invest everything into…..and has failed. 

who do you think McDermott should’ve hired and have call plays knowing all of this?

He can hire others to help him with head coaching duties…..but no one can call his defense like he can.   

• Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, it's good to have an Offensive genius on your team, and Teams will promote the top innovative OCs to HC in order to have that talent in house.

Mcdermott didn't run a soft ass Tampa 2, historically. You are either generalizing OR haven't seen what he did in past roles.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He didn't run a soft Tampa 2 defense in Carolina, why would he start now? It’s literally the biggest reason why I'm excited that he's taking over. We will see a far more aggressive approach. Your outrage should be saved for our OC. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He’s a defensive HC and he wants his team to play HIS defense.  There has never been any doubt that McD wants HIS defense being run and Frazier was a perfect guy to call the D because he’s had so much experience in it (and exp coaching with McD).  

Knowing that, should he bring someone in, teach them everything he wants and hope he can comprehend, learn and retain everything by opening day so he can call plays for a Super Bowl contender?  Should he have promote Washington?  The guy that has been in charge of developing the DL that we invest everything into…..and has failed. 

who do you think McDermott should’ve hired and have call plays knowing all of this?

He can hire others to help him with head coaching duties…..but no one can call his defense like he can.   

So Frazier, running McDermott's defense and being the perfect guy to call plays ultimately failed, yes?

Washington in charge of DL has failed in your estimation.

Now McDermott, despite being the architect of this entire operation, is suddenly putting his foot down and going to call the right plays that the guys before weren't?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Mcdermott didn't run a soft ass Tampa 2, historically. You are either generalizing OR haven't seen what he did in past roles.

The Tampa 2 is intrinsically one of the softest D schemes out there.

It did ok in 2015 when Cam was lighting it up on the way to an MVP season and they could pin their ears back after taking early leads.

Hoping for the same from Josh/Dorsey this year to help out.

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He didn't run a soft Tampa 2 defense in Carolina, why would he start now? It’s literally the biggest reason why I'm excited that he's taking over. We will see a far more aggressive approach. Your outrage should be saved for our OC. 

What do you think he ran in Carolina when he had Keuchly in the same role as Edmunds?

We run a Cover 2/Tampa 2.

This was "MCD's Defense" he brought from Carolina and enlisted Frazier to call as his proxy. What else could he have ran in Carolina?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This is what I wanted and I am good with this. Time to put the onus of his defense on McDermott. I never expected them to go outside of the organization so will see if defense continues to under perform in key situations like it has in the past. Super Bowl or bust with this team so they needed to explore all avenues while looking to avoid wasting prime Allen years.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The question at hand was whether having a HC call plays is generally a problem. It’s obviously not.

Whether it matters whether Frazier, McDermott or someone else calls plays for McDermott’s defense is another issue entirely. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You surely have the right to not be thrilled by this and quite a few reason to believe it wont work.  But, I am looking at it like quite a few on here appear to be that it's all on him now for sure.  Do what you are best at and deligate others who may be better at what you didnt excel at.  Thats the rub the way I see it.   This is my hope.  You may be correct as well.

Edited by Lagoon Blues
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this will help the defense, but it worries me as McD is not known as a strong in-game head coach.  Particularly on things like challenges and using timeouts.

I hope there is someone in his ear that he can trust that will alert him to stuff like this.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.