Your Bills-related unpopular opinion

QB Bills

Dawkins is tracking toward eating himself out of the league. He was worse in 2022 than most folks realize and he may need to be replaced next season. 

Oliver is worth keeping this year. We won't do any better than him on the DL in trade value and he will be fired up w contract year and Von returning. He's going to be productive in 2023. If he's here, I expect him to have a great year and shock everyone. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, julian said:

Luck will be the number one contributing factor for this teams ability to win a championship after Allen.

20 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He's retired and never coming back😎

Grundy wins the 'Police Squad!' snappy banter award of the week. 😁

23 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Should have finished the Cincy game after the Hamlin incident.

And you win the DC Tom award of the month.  Quite possibly for all of 2023.

1. Salary cap is a real thing and we have borrowed from the future quite a lot already (Beane knows this and was super conservative this offseason).

2. We overpaid for Von Miller, in a sense that he would've come cheaper (He is still great player though).

3. We might never win a SB even with Josh, since you also need a lots of luck a some franchises just don't have it (I already made a peace with it and try to enjoy every season nevertheless).

These are some major ones from the top of my head. Many others were already mentioned.

Edit: I'll add 4 somewhat related to 1 and 2: Diggs' and Miller's contracts are both one year too long and will cause us some cap trouble in two years (or even next year, if we don't win it all and Diggs won't take it well).

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm now on a crusade about this.  I think many people have this perception that Davis is a problem, and I don't see it.  At least, not so big a problem that people should be so excited about.  Just seems to me that it would NICE to have top-of-the-league production from the #2, but it isn't necessary for the team to succeed.  Yes, the Davis wasn't as consistent making plays last season, but he was still a nice play-maker in the offense.  Yes, it's fair to expect some improvement in his production, and I'm sure it's his expectation, too, but he is nowhere near a problem.  

I'll join you on your crusade.  

I'll add to what you said.  Everyone's perfectly willing to give Beane & McD years to get things done despite minimal evidence that they know what they're even doing from a big-picture perspective, and players on our D and team elsewhere we're told need time, but Davis has one off season and they're willing to throw him overboard.  And let's keep in mind that to date absolutely no one has defined what "The Process" actually is or how it works.  Yet, we're willing to wait unforetold years to find out.  LOL  

Meanwhile, in the playoffs, Diggs goes MIA in the biggest games that this team has, even to the extent that Davis outplays him in the last game vs. Cinci and KC each, and not a word about how maybe our $96M WR should be doing more than averaging 3 catches for 40 yards while being held scoreless in those games.  

I'm not saying ditch Diggs, but the discrepancy between how the two are treated is remarkable.  

In Diggs' first three NFL seasons he put up 2,472 Yards on 12.4 YPR and 15 TDs.  

Davis in his first three NFL seasons has put up 1,984 Yards on 16.8 YPR and 20 TDs.  So yeah, let's get rid of him, he sucks.  

Diggs' in his first three seasons of playoffs put up 309 Yards on 22 catches for 14.0 YPR and 2 TDs.  

Davis in his first three seasons of playoffs put up 474 Yards on the same 22 catches for 21.6 YPR and 6 TDs.  

Yeah, he'll never amount to anything.  Meanwhile, of all the WRs drafted along with Davis in '20, only one has scored more TDs, Jefferson.  Hmmmm.... 

Only one drafted after him has caught for more yards, a marginal 65 yards/season, but with half the TDs, only 10.  Mooney, in Chicago.  

Davis has caught more passes than 8 WRs drafted before him, has logged more Yards than 9 WRs drafted before him, and has more TDs than 14 (all but one) WR drafted before him.  

Yeah, he's hot garbage.  LOL  

The irony is that IMO Beane hasn't done anything even average much less better in terms of his Drafts.  But Davis was actually his best pick in his last four Drafts.  Who's been better since 2019?  Oliver?  Debatable, but considering that Davis was 128th overall at the end of the 3th round contrasted with Oliver at 9th overall, top-10, there's no comparison.  

Edited by PBF81

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

2. We overpaid for Von Miller, in a sense that he would've come cheaper (He is still great player though).

We did, but keep in mind that that was no secret.  Von Miller's acquisition was a high-risk high-reward move that was made because Beane's draft picks weren't getting the job done, so had to pay more for it via FAcy.  

The more unpopular opinion re: that is that Beane should be held accountable for it and the damage that signing has done, considering that the risk was realized, not the benefit.  When you make moves like that, you shouldn't get away with the consequences should they go awry.  Again, the unpopular opinion.  The majority opinion seems to be that Beane should be vindicated on poor drafting for four straight years.  

Just sayin'  

1. We haven't done nearly enough to upgrade a poor OL in an offseason which started with us being $20 million over the cap. Our options are limited and I don't think the brain trust fully understands the need because they have a defense first philosophy.

2. Brandon Beane had a great draft his 1st time around selecting Allen and Edmunds in the 1st round. Since then, his selections in the top 3 rounds have been underachievers with too few exceptions (Knox, Singletary, Rousseau). We are now paying for those misses. Every GM has misses in the draft, but the pressure is really on him now. He has to nail this draft with 3 very solid picks and I don't mean good value. No one cares if or when you were picked when the bullets start flying. We need 3 good starters.
3. Josh isn't the best QB in the NFL after leading the league in turnovers, but he could be with a better supporting cast -- A big, nasty, talented OL and a run game that can carry the load when we have the lead in the 2nd half or when the other team's defense keeps playing with a light box. We need a run game that can carry the offense rather than one that's fairly "efficient".
3. We may take a step back in 2023, but not if we draft well and our best players stay healthy. 11 or 12 wins vs 5 or 6 losses is not inconceivable otherwise. If Josh misses any appreciable time, the season is over.
4. If Rodgers joins the Jets and has a bounce back season, the Jets could win the AFCE. If that happens, TBD will be lit up with calls for firing everyone at OBD.

• Like (+1) 1

Told my ticket rep twice that I was cancelling my seasons after 19 years...
Then told my wife
Then told my friends

All told me I was crazy and it's the only thing I like in life (ticket rep just said "what!?" but the crazy was implied)
My opinion on cancelling was so unpopular that I broke at the last minute and renewed for #20.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

In terms of actual unpopular opinions on here, I'm happy that the Bills prioritize special teams players. Giving the opponent worse starting field position is an underrated advantage. I don't think devoting a decent amount of cap space to those players has caused us to miss out on any meaningful upgrades at other positions.
Agreed. So is playcalling. Get 'em looking one way when you're going the other way. I'd also add that many fans undervalue the importance of a good offensive lineman because OL don't get sexy stats. Look at the OL's of the final 4.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the two Bills opinions I have that are unpopular in terms of this forum as it has been recently would be: 

1. Ed Oliver is one of our top defensive players.

2. Josh Allen didn't play well enough in the post season this past January. 

I think a lot of people forget to some degree that Ed (and Gabe Davis as well) fought thru high ankle sprains. Somewhere there was a video that showed how difficult it is for a DT to anchor with a bad ankle with a 320 LB guy or two trying to move you. That hurt me just to watch. They both get a bit of slack in my mind for playing thru that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, QB Bills said:

A few of mine:

James Cook is a below average RB and is a significant step down from Motor.

The biggest position of need on the team is the d-line and they should use their first round pick on a lineman (again).

Ken Dorsey is a better playcaller than Brian Daboll. But Daboll knew how to coach Allen better.

The Bills will never have a head coaching advantage in a playoff game under this regime.

I just want to say... I LOVE this topic.. It's like we are getting it all out of our system in a positive way. GG mate.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.