Bills hosting/hosted David Edwards on visit

gonzo1105

Depending on price of course, this would be a sort of the low risk high reward sort of signing that could pay off big time.  If you look at his 2020 and 2021 play before he was injured he was rated as decently above average in both pass and run blocking.  He was on his way to be considered a potential upper echelon guard in this league.

I would think if the Bills could sign him to 2 year 8 Million deal with about  3 of that guaranteed it would be worth the gamble.

He could end up supplanting Bates as the starter.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Pretty clear that Beane learned nothing over the last few years.  He is still not willing to make real, dramatic, positive changes in the O Line. 

More mediocrity or worse, as is the case here.

Love the Bills, but losing faith for the first time that this GM will lead them to a championship.

He can't see what is right of front of us--the Bills need to upgrade their offensive line, and offense, in a dramatic way this off season.

While I like the signing of McGovern, the lack of any significant movement on the O-Line and on a high caliber wide out, and a new linebacker, are all very discouraging.

Maybe he should have thought into the future a bit before shelling out huge guaranteed bucks for a 32 year old linebacker, clearly on the decline? Could have signed two high level starting O lineman for that money, players that would have could have helped the Bills take the next step.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He’s already proven to be better than Bates, he doesn’t have the RAS athletic upside, and I am a Bates fan, Edwards is better imo. 

If brought in, he’s legit competition, at the same time, the injury questions maybe make him cheap. 

this is the perfect signing type imo. it may or may not work, but the risk/reward on these types of signings are great when you look at them as a numbers game. a handful of these types should be made every year

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Pretty clear that Beane learned nothing over the last few years.  He is still not willing to make real, dramatic, positive changes in the O Line. 

Love the Bills, but losing faith for the first time that this GM will lead them to a championship.

He can't see what is right of front of us--the Bills need to upgrade their offensive line, and offense, in a dramatic way this off season.

While I like the signing of McGovern, the lack of any significant movement on the O-Line and on a high caliber wide out, and a new linebacker, are all very discouraging.

Maybe he should have thought into the future a bit before shelling out huge guaranteed bucks for a 32 year old linebacker, clearly on the decline? Could have signed two high level starting O lineman for that money, players that would have could have helped the Bills take the next step.

It’s March 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Very short term mem here. Von in no way looked in decline, we looked amazing on D till he got hurt.  that type of injury had nothing to do with age or his history, it was a reg football injury. troll. we also have a draft. people were saying the same thing about poyer and hyde when we signed them. they cant all be top end signings, part of a gms job is to take calculated risks on players with potential that havent quite materialized yet.  but please dont let that stop your emotional driven pitchforking

• Like (+1) 3

Low risk potential signing. For a team that passes as much as the Bills do like they are focusing on players whose strengths appear to be pass blocking. Time will tell if they work out but with money being limited by the salary cap. Glad the team realizes the biggest issue last year was the offensive line and they are looking at different ways to fix that this offseason.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

You keep lists??? Who ARE you?

I'm a Bills fan and football fan in general. So towards the end of the season I look up upcoming UFAs and see who'se available and evaluate guys and see if think they'd fit in here. I mentally keep track of guys aka list that think fit in. I brought up his name in other threads before etc. I've been doing it for years, I still remember posting years ago that the Bills might go after a QB from Seattle named Travis Brown before it happened. As think he had a tie to one of our coaches or GM at the time. 

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

But he always forgets his wife's birthday. Just saying.

Actually I don't forget it, as her birthday a week before Christmas. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Very short term mem here. Von in no way looked in decline, we looked amazing on D till he got hurt.  that type of injury had nothing to do with age or his history, it was a reg football injury. troll. we also have a draft. people were saying the same thing about poyer and hyde when we signed them. they cant all be top end signings, part of a gms job is to take calculated risks on players with potential that havent quite materialized yet.  but please dont let that stop your emotional driven pitchforking

Really? The guy hasn’t had a 10 sack year since 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He likely would have gotten 10 sacks with us had he played the whole season. 

But he didn’t because he’s now old and breaking down. Hell now have missed the equivalent of 2 seasons (assuming he’s not ready by October) in the last 5 years. Because he’s old. 

hope I’m wrong and I do believe he’s an absolute freak and warrior. But Father Time never loses. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Really? The guy hasn’t had a 10 sack year since 2018. 

look at the tape. sacks are great. qbs being disrupted early and throwing incompletions/int's, or making bad reads (10yd completion, when a 50yarder was there. allowing corners to get closer to the line, play more aggressive, safeties and lb's getting to play more shallow, other DL getting sacks, or causing the above while Vons double teamed. he makes defenses better bottom line

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

look at the tape. sacks are great. qbs being disrupted early and throwing incompletions/int's, or making bad reads (10yd completion, when a 50yarder was there. allowing corners to get closer to the line, play more aggressive, safeties and lb's getting to play more shallow, other DL getting sacks, or causing the above while Vons double teamed. he makes defenses better bottom line

So what we should have done was kept Jerry Hughes who practically led the league in pressures all while getting almost zero sacks in his last season on the Bills. Instead of paying Von Miller 100m+

just want to make sure that’s what your saying. 

From everything I have read about Edwards health wise, this is what I found.

In 2022 he suffered a concussion in the 3rd game of the season against Arizona.

He was out the following week and then tried to come back the next week against Dallas but couldn't finish the game.

He never played again during the season.

Previous to that, after becoming a starter on the 7th game of his rookie year in 2019 he started every game but 2 (ankle) until his

concussion in game #3 of 2022.  It seems it's the concussion that is the huge concern, and nothing but that.

Here is his career game logs:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaDa01/gamelog/

Another note from some of the articles I read was concerning the LA Rams line going into 2022.  They already lost Austin Corbett to FA and

where riddled with injuries throughout the year, right from the start.

FWIW.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

From everything I have read about Edwards health wise, this is what I found.

In 2022 he suffered a concussion in the 3rd game of the season against Arizona.

He was out the following week and then tried to come back the next week against Dallas but couldn't finish the game.

He never played again during the season.

Previous to that, after becoming a starter on the 7th game of his rookie year in 2019 he started every game but 2 (ankle) until his

concussion in game #3 of 2022.  It seems it's the concussion that is the huge concern, and nothing but that.

Here is his career game logs:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaDa01/gamelog/

Another note from some of the articles I read was concerning the LA Rams line going into 2022.  They already lost Austin Corbett to FA and

where riddled with injuries throughout the year, right from the start.

FWIW.

Just to kind of add on, Edwards was playing next to Andrew Whitworth during his best years and, Whitworth retired after the Super Bowl, which could also have affected Edwards' play in a negative way in 2022. But he was definitely Tua'd by the Rams, and the concussions should be a concern, but the Bills have managed Mitch Morse really well, so we shall see.  

1 minute ago, mrags said:

He looked pretty good. Not sure about 100m good 

He “looked pretty good” when he singlehandedly stopped the chiefs final 3 drives short of the end zone.

he’s a closer and we didn’t have many games that needed closing.  He was a stud.  

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

He looked pretty good. Not sure about 100m good 

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/11/who-are-the-nfls-all-pro-players-of-the-2022-first-half/

Miller has been worth the extremely lofty price of admission for the Bills so far this season, posting a pass-block win rate of 57.3% and winning 63.0% of his run-defense matchups.

You may be screaming ‘where is Micah Parsons?!’ about the absence of the man seen as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year frontrunner. Parsons is fourth in pressure rate among edge rushers (28.3%), but 16 of his pressures have been unblocked, illustrating a role in the Dallas defense in which he often takes advantage of stunts as the looper. 

Athleticism and quickness create a tougher situation for the linemen who are being gamed, but it also relies on the penetrator half of the stunt to pick two defenders. In other words, he’s creating pressure because a different lineman is blowing a hole through the protection, giving Parsons a free rush on the QB.

In terms of traditional pass rushing, Parsons’ impact has not quite been significant enough to make the cut.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just to kind of add on, Edwards was playing next to Andrew Whitworth during his best years and, Whitworth retired after the Super Bowl, which could also have affected Edwards' play in a negative way in 2022. But he was definitely Tua'd by the Rams, and the concussions should be a concern, but the Bills have managed Mitch Morse really well, so we shall see.  

Yep, the concussion thing is the real issue regarding his health.

As for his play, he seems like an average NFL G (2022 injury year removed).  If they can sign him cheap, he is good depth at worse.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He “looked pretty good” when he singlehandedly stopped the chiefs final 3 drives short of the end zone.

he’s a closer and we didn’t have many games that needed closing.  He was a stud.  

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/11/who-are-the-nfls-all-pro-players-of-the-2022-first-half/

Miller has been worth the extremely lofty price of admission for the Bills so far this season, posting a pass-block win rate of 57.3% and winning 63.0% of his run-defense matchups.

You may be screaming ‘where is Micah Parsons?!’ about the absence of the man seen as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year frontrunner. Parsons is fourth in pressure rate among edge rushers (28.3%), but 16 of his pressures have been unblocked, illustrating a role in the Dallas defense in which he often takes advantage of stunts as the looper. 

Athleticism and quickness create a tougher situation for the linemen who are being gamed, but it also relies on the penetrator half of the stunt to pick two defenders. In other words, he’s creating pressure because a different lineman is blowing a hole through the protection, giving Parsons a free rush on the QB.

In terms of traditional pass rushing, Parsons’ impact has not quite been significant enough to make the cut.

He also won the Jets game for the BIlls until Josh decided to throw another INT.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

But he didn’t because he’s now old and breaking down. Hell now have missed the equivalent of 2 seasons (assuming he’s not ready by October) in the last 5 years. Because he’s old. 

hope I’m wrong and I do believe he’s an absolute freak and warrior. But Father Time never loses. 

He was playing as well any edge rusher in football last year. Whether he can be the same guy off a second ACL at his age is a fair question.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was playing as well any edge rusher in football last year. Whether he can be the same guy off a second ACL at his age is a fair question.

He was pretty good. Really very good. But the fact is when we signed him he was definitely on the downturn of his career. Hasn’t had over 10 sacks in 5 years. 4 seasons if you count his year off because of a previous knee injury. Now he’s older. 

im not saying his signing was a mistake, we needed a difference maker and hoped for the best. But his signing will likely be a disappointment over time. Especially considering the money tied up in him. 

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

He was pretty good. Really very good. But the fact is when we signed him he was definitely on the downturn of his career. Hasn’t had over 10 sacks in 5 years. 4 seasons if you count his year off because of a previous knee injury. Now he’s older. 

im not saying his signing was a mistake, we needed a difference maker and hoped for the best. But his signing will likely be a disappointment over time. Especially considering the money tied up in him. 

They went all in for 2022 which I think was the right move and then had the most injury ridden season they have had under this regime. That is awful luck. But it happens. The Rams had better luck. They went all in for 2021 and won it all then the injury bug bit back in 2022. That is why I say sometimes you need luck as much as judgment to win a Lombardi. 

I didn't like the restructure on Von. Because I thought a 3 year gamble was defensible. It is now 4 years before the contract is escapable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Um, saying the Bills are dropping the ball in addressing weak areas, such as the O-line and receiver, and that the Bills would have been better off using the Miller money on those things, isn't 'emotional driven pithchforking'.

The Bills, still a high quality team, took a clear step back last year because clear needs were not addressed well last off season.  If they do so again this year, the Bills may quickly be an afterthought next season.

Edited by Mister Defense

21 hours ago, DJB said:

Only interested if PFF approves

We should get rid of J.A. then….

19 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Who is David Edward's?

He is…you know…that guy…

If the Bills sign him…good signing, he has potential..

If someone else signs him…didn’t need him…he sucks..

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They went all in for 2022 which I think was the right move and then had the most injury ridden season they have had under this regime. That is awful luck. But it happens. The Rams had better luck. They went all in for 2021 and won it all then the injury bug bit back in 2022. That is why I say sometimes you need luck as much as judgment to win a Lombardi. 

I didn't like the restructure on Von. Because I thought a 3 year gamble was defensible. It is now 4 years before the contract is escapable.

As the old saying goes "It's better to be lucky than good". And all Championship teams have a ton of luck.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As the old saying goes "It's better to be lucky than good". And all Championship teams have a ton of luck.

Remind me how many AFC championship games the Chiefs have been in lately. You can start to add the Bengals to that list. They must be pretty lucky. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.