S. Diggs Restructures

Chaos

3 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

If it wasn’t real they would’ve kept Tremaine imho.

No it means the cap is “loosely real” (ask KC and New Orleans and Dallas) when you have an owner willing to pay up front bonuses, and the Bills are still sticking to value by position and no MLB in this league is worth 18million unless he is the best in the game. Lavonte will be at 11 or 12 and is an all around better player and has showed up in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t disagree, I’m simply pointing out the fact he COULD have easily been traded if they wanted to this year.  People see the “dead cap” number on Sportrac and think that’s the cost to trade players and it’s not necessarily the case.  In his case it would have been a fortune to cut him, but his signing bonus wasn’t exorbitant and would have made the dead cap hit reasonable. 

You could not be more wrong

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You could not be more wrong

Get the breakdown on that, bc it’s wrong.  Or better yet, YOU explain how it’s right.  I’ll wait.  

If they TRADE him, not cut him, they must pay out his signing bonus and his restructures.  Signing bonus has 4.3M x 4 years, plus restructure money of ~ 11M, meaning they could eat about 24M of dead cap, all the other money he’s trying to lump in there transfers on with the contact.  Make it post June 1 and you cut it in half.  It (was) POSSIBLE and technically still is, but stupid.  As a post June 1 move, it’s less than his actual hit for the year.  

Based on todays move, they took his base down to Vet min, and paid him that in a signing bonus, meaning it added 1.2ish to his hit every year here after.  They must have also converted some of next years money too. So that’s going to add on more.  They also have to add his guaranteed option bonus within this week, which tacks on 16M, which will get spread out as a secondary signing bonus.  Once that is added, there’s another 3.2 per year of cap hit, so his deal is going to get out of hand if we keep kicking the can down the road.  

Edited by DCofNC
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I might actually prefer they be talking with the Cards about someone who has actually played the last 2 years but any real WR2 is welcome. 

I’m good with a signing if that will help the team get us over the hump. The fact that Diggs restructured too says a lot.

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

No, he was plenty easy to trade before based on his current contract, this makes him all the harder for the Bills to absorb the money to trade him as it accelerates what he would cost on our cap.  He’s now here for this year, bar none, no way around it.

He’s here for the next 2 or 3 years.  I think his cap hits elevate after the restructure.

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Get the breakdown on that, bc it’s wrong.  Or better yet, YOU explain how it’s right.  I’ll wait.  

If they TRADE him, not cut him, they must pay out his signing bonus and his restructures.  Signing bonus has 4.3M x 4 years, plus restructure money of ~ 11M, meaning they could eat about 24M of dead cap, all the other money he’s trying to lump in there transfers on with the contact.  Make it post June 1 and you cut it in half.  It (was) POSSIBLE and technically still is, but stupid.  As a post June 1 move, it’s less than his actual hit for the year.  

Based on todays move, they took his base down to Vet min, and paid him that in a signing bonus, meaning it added 1.2ish to his hit every year here after.  They must have also converted some of next years money too. So that’s going to add on more.  They also have to add his guaranteed option bonus within this week, which tacks on 16M, which will get spread out as a secondary signing bonus.  Once that is added, there’s another 3.2 per year of cap hit, so his deal is going to get out of hand if we keep kicking the can down the road.  

If you trade him post 6/1 his 2023 dead cap would be 13 million.  Sounds like a great deal.  However, your 2024 dead cap would be 31 million! Their next real opportunity to trade him is in his age 33 season with 13 million in dead cap.

Dude is a bill for life.  

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Extend DaQuan and trade Oliver

I would love these two moves!  

I think the only reason we have not extended DaQuan is because Daquan has not wanted to be extended at what the Bills are offering.  He clearly is our best DT and at a bargain for his production or at least market value.  I think we WILL see an extension in the coming days.

Oliver serves no purpose on our DL rotation at that price.  I would love to reallocate his money/cap to another position.

What happens if Oliver has a monster year in 2023?  IMO he hits free agency and leaves.  We can't afford to resign him.  And, I don't think he will have a monster year.  I really don't see a benefit in keeping Oliver.  Trade him for a 7th and free up the cap space.  If you can get more than a 7th, have at it.

7 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree on the #s and options.

We'd have money for a scenario such as:

1. Wagner or David at LB

2. Elemuenor at RT

3. Williams at RB

4. then a depth player

That would leave the draft open for WR, TE, S, and IOL (in no particular order).

Hmmm, I don't hate it.  I could live with it.  Wagner or David is where it starts for me.  Then the other dominoes fall.  

I think we need MLB, Olinemen and WR.  Safety can be an after thought.  RB, not sure on what is needed.  I think the Oline needs to be better and the RBs will be better.  Williams I am okay with.  IF we swung for the fences and got Henry I could get behind it.

I think today is a big day to see which direction we go and I am very excited and hope Beane gets it right!  I think he will.  He sure has free'd up the monies.  I am VERY surprised on Diggs and thusly think something big is coming!

Go Bills!

6 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Something is coming.  Now we just wait…..

Agreed

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Given that he’s the second best player on the team (given that Miller is injured), him remaining on the Bills is a good thing.

HEY!😡 There’s NO ROOM here for intelligent football discussion! Isn’t it obvious to you?

Restructures mean nothing in terms of something being on the brink of happening.

Look at it this way.

A player has 4 years left on deal.  Ten million dollars is converted to bonus so now its spread amongst this year, and the remaining three years.  Cap savings of current year would be 7.5 million.

Guy is cut after year 2 of restructure.  That means the dead money increased 5 million dollars when you go to cut him, because you already accounted for the 2.5 million in each of the prior 2 years.  

The Bills rolled over the cap savings from the restructure so now have an additional 5 million when you go to cut him.  

End of the day, it costs you nothing more against the cap than it would have been since it is a higher dead cap, but you have more roll over.  However, in the current year of the restructure, you have a cushion just incase you need it.

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Nothing about a supposed "rift".

Diggs was getting paid the exact same amount of money over the next 10-12 months.  He just collects it now, as supposed to being weekly game checks...

To a rich guy like Stefon, that means little...sure he gets the "time value of money" (chance to invest), but let's not turn this into a story about some rumored rift.

This is a move to create cap space, plain and simple. If we gave him a raise/more money, I'd buy what you're selling...

Yes. And the money was guaranteed when the extension was signed so it was in escrow anyway. Also it is unlikely that the Bills even needed Diggs’ permission to do the restructure. The option to do so was almost certainly already in his contract. 

Diggs is the kind of player that every team needs to find success in the NFL. He’s supremely confident he can dominate any defender or scheme. He can’t tolerate losing if he is not allowed to contribute with being targeted. In wins, he’s fine with others filling the stat sheet. He’s nasty and projects toughness to younger players. Part of the problem last season was Dorsey not finding a way to feature Diggs down the stretch and in the playoffs. Dorsey needs to learn from his epic fail at the end of the season. Diggs strives for success and demands production from his teammates. How can you not love this guy.

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

No it means the cap is “loosely real” (ask KC and New Orleans and Dallas) when you have an owner willing to pay up front bonuses, and the Bills are still sticking to value by position and no MLB in this league is worth 18million unless he is the best in the game. Lavonte will be at 11 or 12 and is an all around better player and has showed up in the playoffs. 

The Bills spend a bunch on players no diferent than any other top team in this league. Just look at our salary cap by individual players, we have lots of high paid players.. The issue is Beane and company are not finding enough players to fill holes through the draft and are kind of force to patch as many holes as they can with FA's... which in the long run causes more cap issues as you can only push tit so far.

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why weren’t all these restructures done already so the Bills their maximum money to spend before FA started? 

Free Angency hasn't started yet

We are just in the legal tampering stage of it. They can agree to terms with anyone at any price they choose they just have to have the money all ready to go when FA officially starts

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Free Angency hasn't started yet

We are just in the legal tampering stage of it. They can agree to terms with anyone at any price they choose they just have to have the money all ready to go when FA officially starts

I keep seeing those posts all over twitter. Its like fans want a reason to pretend Beane is just not doing anything when he should be 😄

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

just curious for the more cap knowledgeable posters, it saves $5.4m, but how much was the check TP cut today then?

Not sure exactly, depends on the number of year’s remaining. If it’s 3 yrs for example, would cost $16.2M to save $5.4M. You can do the math from there, but it’s basically an extra $5.4 per year remaining as it’s spreading the cap hit equally over year’s remaining. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Evidently NFL contracts have language allowing the team to make these decisions unilaterally.  It is good for the player because it gets them money sooner.   But Diggs did not have to agree to this restructure.

SOME NFL contracts have that language. No idea if Diggs deal did. That said, you’re right that it benefits the player in getting cash up front. 

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Evidently NFL contracts have language allowing the team to make these decisions unilaterally.  It is good for the player because it gets them money sooner.   But Diggs did not have to agree to this restructure.

Not all contracts have team option restructures in them. The ones that do have it generally only have it in one or two of the early seasons. Diggs’ extension was probably one that did have it. Also the option can’t add void years so if you see that done it was with player approval. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.