NFL Replay needs to be like XFL

Jrb1979

18 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYBUUusD/

Seeing how the XFL does replay and how transparent they are is something the NFL needs to follow. 

Somebody in the XFL watches Rugby.  That's exactly how penalty replays in Rugby are handled; the ref, his assistants and the replay guy are all real time on live microphones.

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Wont happen.  Roger will never admit another league does it better 

Roger is missing out on a potential cash cow. Now I'm not saying the xfl is great, but why the nfl isn't trying to capitalize on this is baffling to me. There's 32 nfl practice squads and thousands of former NFL players and undrafted free agents available to play. Why the nfl hasent tried to make this into a developmental league blows my mind. 

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How about the one below? That’s an interception. Call reversed. Took me 2 seconds.

XFL watched it over and over and called it a TD. Transparent or not, they still suck.

Wow that's crazy.. 

Doesn't see enough lol.. clear int 

I do like the concept though of them being transparent.  That dude should be fired though

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How about the one below? That’s an interception. Call reversed. Took me 2 seconds.

XFL watched it over and over and called it a TD. Transparent or not, they still suck.

Looks like simultaneous possession to me? 

Latimer has an arm around the ball all the way to the ground and when they roll over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Roger is missing out on a potential cash cow. Now I'm not saying the xfl is great, but why the nfl isn't trying to capitalize on this is baffling to me. There's 32 nfl practice squads and thousands of former NFL players and undrafted free agents available to play. Why the nfl hasent tried to make this into a developmental league blows my mind. 

Despite all the noise to the contrary there’s really no evidence of sufficient demand for pro football outside of the NFL. And they already have a developmental league that doesn’t cost them a penny. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defender has it initially, but if we use the "survived the ground" rule (assuming that's a thing in the XFL), then he lost possession upon hitting the ground. Since the ball didn't touch the ground and the receiver snatched it away, they gave it to the offense.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The defender has it initially, but if we use the "survived the ground" rule (assuming that's a thing in the XFL), then he lost possession upon hitting the ground. Since the ball didn't touch the ground and the receiver snatched it away, they gave it to the offense.

Snatching away isn’t simultaneously catching the ball. The key to replay is not think about it too much. 

The WR didn’t get possession until the roll over on the ground. It’s not a simultaneous catch.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

36 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow that's crazy.. 

I do like the concept though of them being transparent.  That dude should be fired though

Transparency is always better but that’s exactly what I thought went on. Someone reviewing and over analyzing the play. Make a decision and let’s go.

I think the majority of people would call that an INT. That’s got to be the goal of officiating. Look at it quickly and make a decision. 

Part of me thinks the NFL likes the controversy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Snatching away isn’t simultaneously catching the ball. The key to replay is not think about it too much. 

The WR didn’t get possession until the roll over on the ground. It’s not a simultaneous catch.

I never said it was a simultaneous catch - I said the defender didn't maintain possession after hitting the ground, therefore it's not an interception.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Transparency is always better but that’s exactly what I thought went on. Someone reviewing and over analyzing the play. Make a decision and let’s go.

I think the majority of people would call that an INT. That’s got to be the goal of officiating. Look at it quickly and make a decision. 

Part of me thinks the NFL likes the controversy. 

I agree they like the controversy but I also think they like it this way so they can keep playing favorites. I'm not saying they fix games but they do tend to give favorites the benefit of the doubt 

• Like (+1) 1

The most important point is this: can they put on commercials during the review process. That's the #1 benefit of the current system.... for the league. and TV stations. And let's be fair, the current system works for the most part. The controversial calls are the non reviewable ones.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Wont happen.  Roger will never admit another league does it better 

LOL these leagues that can't stay solvent because no ones cares to watch their product sure "do it better" than the NFL.

Anyway, these things aren't up to "Roger"

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Naw, that was the correct call. No clear evidence to overturn. I was watching that game and I couldn't tell who had possession.

19 hours ago, Steptide said:

Because they don't want the additional liability for CTE for a bunch of minor leaguers on top their own players. The NFL is completely fine with separate spring leagues.

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow that's crazy.. 

That dude is Dean Blandino.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Transparency is great but in the age of social media, how over analyzed is every word and statement going to be?

God forbid the official incorrectly states something, people will be off the rails.

The NFL is already doing a version of this called "sky judge." They just don't put them on camera. How many times has a call been reversed without a challenge flag? That's sky judge doing a quick review and buzzing the refs on the field. For something obvious it takes a few seconds.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because they don't want the additional liability for CTE for a bunch of minor leaguers on top their own players. The NFL is completely fine with separate spring leagues.

That dude is Dean Blandino.

Has nothing to do with CTE (?).

The NFL doesn't want to get too close to these bogus leagues so as to keep their stink off them.  They know what everyone else can see--these leagues are bereft of talent and therefore no viewership and therefore are doomed .  Every "developmental league" has folded, some multiple times.  The NFL is the undisputed pro sports king---and untouchable broadcast leader for all TV content.  Why would they want to be closely associated with these celebrity vanity products?  They always have had the "developmental league that suits their purposes perfectly.  They don't need this stuff.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has nothing to do with CTE (?).

The NFL doesn't want to get too close to these bogus leagues so as to keep their stink off them.  They know what everyone else can see--these leagues are bereft of talent and therefore no viewership and therefore are doomed .  Every "developmental league" has folded, some multiple times.  The NFL is the undisputed pro sports king---and untouchable broadcast leader for all TV content.  Why would they want to be closely associated with these celebrity vanity products?  They always have had the "developmental league that suits their purposes perfectly.  They don't need this stuff.

They may not want to get too close to these "bogus leagues" as you call them but they have no issue taking things from them. The "eye in the sky" from the original XFL. I hope they take this review idea and are transparent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.