Rate all of Beane's draft picks

Einstein

Players in red are gone or are presumed to be gone (example: Edmunds is testing free agency and is expected to get way more than the Bills can pay). Also didn't include 2022 picks since its too early to rate them.

How do you rate the rest of the draft picks? Here are my ratings:

Allen - elite

Edmunds 

Phillips

Teller 

Mccloud 

T Johnson - good

Proehl 

Oliver - average

Ford 

Singletary 

Knox - average

Joseph 

J Johnson - bad

D Johnson

Sweeney  

Epenesa - backup quality

Moss

Davis - average

Fromm

Bass - good

Hodgins

D Jackson - average (I'm not as down on Dane as some of you)

Rousseau - average

Basham - backup quality

Brown - backup quality

Doyle - backup

Stevenson

Hamlin - backup quality

Wildgoose

Anderson

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

again??

I searched before posting and we don't have a topic like this recently. Closest we had was a guy bashing Beane's draft record but didnt list any picks or give any real reason. This is a thread where people can all rate each player.

And also, feel free to stay out of threads you don't like. No one forced you to click.

rate.png

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen is elite, which buys him a ton of credit and time.

But now it's time for him to hit on some picks. 

Groot is a good player. Oliver is decent. Bass is good at an important position. But there's not a lot there outside of them. By that I mean guys who are better than (insert NFL rostered player's name here) type players. 

Beane needs a successful draft where rookies actually contribute to the team in a meaningful way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would rate them similar to you. However, I would say that Knox, Davis, Rousseau and maybe Oliver all still have a chance to be better than average. I would say all of them have flashed the ability to be better. They just need more consistency.

I’d also say that Brown still has a chance to be a starting caliber RT. And I’m hoping J. Johnson maybe just had a bad year. He seemed to be trending in a good direction before last season. Maybe the new safety coach will help him? 🤞 

Beane has done an awful lot of good here but I do think his drafts could use some improvement. He needs a home run draft or two to get Buffalo over the hump like we’ve seen other teams do. He needs to draft some true game changers. It’ll be more important now than ever before with the cap situation.

I actually think the 2017 draft that McDermott ran might possibly be their best overall draft. Well, excluding Josh Allen anyway. Getting him in 2018 automatically makes that their best draft IMO just due to the importance of a true game changing franchise QB.

2017:

Tre White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Matt Milano

Nathan Peterman 

Tanner Vallejo

White is a #1 CB. Dawkins is our franchise LT. Milano is one of the top LB’s in the NFL. Jones was traded but has now found success.

Not a bad draft. However, I guess it could be argued that it’s overshadowed by trading the #10 pick to KC and handing them Mahomes, who completed their dynasty and now stands in the way of Buffalo every season for the foreseeable future… lol. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I searched before posting and we don't have a topic like this recently. Closest we had was a guy bashing Beane's draft record but didnt list any picks or give any real reason. This is a thread where people can all rate each player.

And also, feel free to stay out of threads you don't like. No one forced you to click.

rate.png

toxic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Rousseau is definitely not average.

I know a lot of people see some elite qualities with him, but i'm talking about his overall play so far.

As soon as Von goes out, we never saw Rousseau do anything above average again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This just goes to show though.

Get the QB right and everything else is a distant second. 

Josh Allen could be much, much better (and he's already amazing) with a better OL that protects him and allows the offense to become more multiple.

Bills won 13 games with a horrible OL, no running game, and 1 WR threat. That's insane!

• Like (+1) 1

You have to consider to some extent the draft position.  Oliver would have been a slam dunk as a 6th rounder but as the 9th pick, not so much.  Dane Jackson is a great pick in the 6th round.   Teller is outstanding, just not with the Bills.  

I am all for evaluating Beane but to do so you have to guard him against his peers not a list like this.  No GM gets a bunch of starters every year.  I think even going round by round and looking at snap counts, starts, pro bowls....do that for all GM's and compare.  A bunch of guys, especially late round guys contribute on special teams but most fans ignore the value in that.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

horrible OL, no running game, and 1 WR threat

This is nonsense.  

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would rate them similar to you. However, I would say that Knox, Davis, Rousseau and maybe Oliver all still have a chance to be better than average. I would say all of them have flashed the ability to be better. They just need more consistency.

Good post. I struggled the most with Knox. I can see an arguement for him being better than 'average' but least year wasn't kind to the "knox is going to be elite" argument outside of a few amazing plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of average. I think his worst pick is Ford. Missing on Ford hurts because it cost us Teller and multiple draft picks.

Ford ultimately cost us a 2nd, 4th, 5th, and Teller. 😬

To me, this is why im not so sore about dabol leaving (aside from the fact that we had our own problems w him, and we've had the same numbers on o a better reg season record, and the same playoff exit w dorsey) -- his staff kept ford on and let teller walk.  i understand players change and develop and one system is better than another, but ford was a slow fat weak pie eating fatbody who sucked out loud day one, and teller was at least ok to start with and became a savage monster.  we had mouse mcnally when peters was on the team, and he had all of one offseason w peters and said he could be one of the best ever.  i feel like the candy azz coaches we had, at least for OL, under dabol messed that up awfully.

Here is the problem with Beane and the Bills front office and coaching. They haven’t done a good enough job finding stars in Round 1 and 2.  Period.  

Outside of Allen and Edmunds (who they both gave up picks to trade up for), these are their selections:

R1: 

Ed Oliver (2018)

Greg Rosseau (2021)

Kalir Elam (2022)

R2:

Cody Ford (2019)

AJ Epinesa (2020)

Boogie Basham (2021)

James Cook (2022)

We still don’t know about players like Elam and Cook.  I think Rosseau still has the potential to be a good DE though I don’t think he will ever be elite.  

But the rest of the return from the past 4 years is really bad.  You can’t draft JAG players high, which is what the Bills have done for the most part - especially on the DL. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You have to consider to some extent the draft position.  Oliver would have been a slam dunk as a 6th rounder but as the 9th pick, not so much.  Dane Jackson is a great pick in the 6th round.   Teller is outstanding, just not with the Bills.  

I am all for evaluating Beane but to do so you have to guard him against his peers not a list like this.  No GM gets a bunch of starters every year.  I think even going round by round and looking at snap counts, starts, pro bowls....do that for all GM's and compare.  A bunch of guys, especially late round guys contribute on special teams but most fans ignore the value in that.

This is nonsense.  

Not only do I disagree (I'm just some person on a message board).

Beane and McDermott apparently disagreed too, because they signed 2 formerly retired WRs during the season to try to fix the deficiency. 

OL is plain for anyone to see. It was bad. 

Just now, JohnNord said:

Here is the problem with Beane and the Bills front office and coaching. They haven’t done a good enough job finding stars in Round 1 and 2.  Period.  

Outside of Allen and Edmunds (who they both gave up picks to trade up for), these are their selections:

R1: 

Ed Oliver (2018)

Greg Rosseau (2021)

Kalir Elam (2022)

R2:

Cody Ford (2019)

AJ Epinesa (2020)

Boogie Basham (2021)

James Cook (2022)

We still don’t know about players like Elam and Cook.  I think Rosseau still has the potential to be a good DE though I don’t think he will ever be elite.  

But the rest of the return from the past 4 years is really bad.  You can’t draft JAG players high, which is what the Bills have done for the most part - especially on the DL. 

The DL/OL picks from Beane have been BRUTAL. 

Rousseau has some juice, although I agree, he’s likely never going to be elite.  Above average DE is a fine return for where he was picked. 

However.. AJ, Boogie, Oliver, Ford, Teller (trade) + guys they didn’t draft to take some of these JAG’s.   Just awful. 

If we don’t figure out Day 2… it’s going to be an uphill battle every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Players in red are gone or are presumed to be gone (example: Edmunds is testing free agency and is expected to get way more than the Bills can pay). Also didn't include 2022 picks since its too early to rate them.

Allen - elite

Edmunds 

Phillips

Teller 

Mccloud 

T Johnson - good

Proehl 

Oliver - average

Ford 

Singletary 

Knox - average

Joseph 

J Johnson - bad

D Johnson

Sweeney  

Epenesa - backup quality

Moss

Davis - average

Fromm

Bass - good

Hodgins

Rousseau - average

Basham - backup quality

Brown - backup quality

Doyle - backup

Stevenson

Hamlin - backup quality

Wildgoose

Anderson

Allen - A

Edmunds - A

Phillips - C

Teller - F

McCloud - F

Taron Johnson - A

Proel - F

Oliver - C

Ford - F

Singletary - C

Knox - B

Joseph - F

Johnson - F

Johnson - F

Sweeney - F

Diggs - A

Epenesa - C

Moss - F

Davis - B

Fromm - F

Bass - A

Hodgins - F

Jackson - B

Rousseau - B

Basham - F

Brown - C

Doyle - F

Stevenson - F

Hamlin - C

Wildgoose - F

Anderson - F

Elam - C

Cook - C

Bernard - F

Shakir - C

Arazia - F

Benford - C

Tenuta - F

Spector - F

Bills have been average drafters, but the team has plateaued because they haven’t hit on an A talent since Diggs in 2020. 

Just now, Einstein said:

All-pro Teller is an F? Or maybe the trade is an F?

I knew this question would come up.

I viewed each pick as, did this draft pick work out for the Bills?

Teller barely played and then left the team, that’s a failure. 

Same with Hodgins. He didn’t do anything for the Bills, it’s a failed pick.

Now, outside of these grades the Bills FO gets credit because they identified those players. 

But All-Pros for the Browns don’t help the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

Looking at that list......wayyyyyy more misses than hits.

Honestly we all know we'd be stuck in another yearly rebuild if not for them hitting an absolute home run with 17. 

Just now, Success said:

You didn't include '22, but I think that could end up being the best draft since '17.  Elam, Cook & Shakir could all be starters in the upcoming season. Benford could too if he moves to safety; if not, he's a very quality backup at corner.

22 he did do much better, it seems , so far. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Allen - elite

Edmunds 

Phillips

Teller 

Mccloud 

T Johnson - good

Proehl 

Oliver - average

Ford 

Singletary 

Knox - average

Joseph 

J Johnson - bad

D Johnson

Sweeney  

Epenesa - backup quality

Moss

Davis - average

Fromm

Bass - good

Hodgins

Rousseau - average

Basham - backup quality

Brown - backup quality

Doyle - backup

Stevenson

Hamlin - backup quality

Wildgoose

Anderson

I know your trying to bash Beane's draft record here and there have been some misses and not enough impact player however I think your off on what your trying to prove here. If your trying to prove he is a bad drafter you need to factor in all of his picks regardless if they are still here or not. You can question their judgement on guys like McCloud, Teller, Phillips, Hodgins on if they used the player correctly or should have been resigned but they should still get credit for drafting them.

Overall by my take Bean has only drafted 1 elite play (that is not enough even though they have drafted at the end of the draft and this is their biggest problem). 2019 was a poor draft and is what is really putting the bills in a tough spot. The guys in that draft should be entering their prime and making and impact on the team now.

In order for the team to take the next step the coaches and Beane need to do a better job once they are drafted of evaluating the talent they have and utilizing them correctly (Hodgins, Teller, even Moss looked decent in Indy when he played). They need more of the good players they draft to be elite they get good contributions from picks but not top end talent.

1 Elite Player

8-9 good players

5 Average players

4 Solid Backup level players

10 bad players (all bad players expect Ford where late round picks)

Allen - elite

Edmunds- Good

Phillips- Good

Teller -Good

Mccloud -Average

T Johnson - good

Proehl - Bad

Oliver - average/good

Ford - Bad

Singletary - good

Knox - good

Joseph - Bad

J Johnson - bad (although for the round he was picked was 4 phase special teams player)

D Johnson- bad

Sweeney  - bad

Epenesa - backup quality (I agree with this but he had a 1/2 sack less than Josh Allen and Phillips on Miami who most consider good to elite)

Moss- backup quality

Davis - good

Fromm - bad

Bass - good

Hodgins- average

Rousseau - good

Basham - backup 

Brown - average

Doyle - backup

Stevenson- bad

Hamlin - backup 

Wildgoose- bad

Anderson- bad

Compare this to the chiefs just the past 3 seasons:

McDuffie - A

Karlaftis - A

Moore - B

Cook - B

Chenal - B

Williams - B

Kinnard - C

Watson - A

Pacheco - A

Johnson - C

Bolton - A

Humphrey - A

Kaindoh - F

Gray - B

Powell - D

Smith - A

Edwards-Halaire - B

Gay -A

Niang - C

Sneed - A

Danna - A

Keyes - F

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I know a lot of people see some elite qualities with him, but i'm talking about his overall play so far.

As soon as Von goes out, we never saw Rousseau do anything above average again. 

The only time Rousseau looked remotely good (not elite) was when Von was on the field chasing players into him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only time Rousseau looked remotely good (not elite) was when Von was on the field chasing players into him.

Rousseau is a serviceable average DE. Nothing more. Definitely not worth a first round pick. Another swing and a miss by Beane. 

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

KC drafted a superior player in Karlaftis at the same spot this year and he is already better than our pick at the same spot last year in Rousseau.

KC drafted a CB before us in the 1st and one in the 7th. Both are better than our CB taken in the first.

KC drafted a RB in the 7th that is better than the one we took in the 2nd. 

KC drafted the better LB later in the 3rd than us. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills organization has not drafted an elite or even great WR since 1996, picking Eric Moulds.  Think about that, 27 years. Sammy was a bust. We picked a few 2nd and 3rd rounders who didn't stick.  We're probably only getting 2 more years out of Diggs.  Beane has to nail a great wr in this draft.  Either 1st round or a "diamond in the rough" day 2.  Giving Josh only Stefon is criminal. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.