NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Anyone know if YouTube TV has MSG for Sabres games? One of the reasons I am with FUBO is because it’s one of the only ones I’ve found with our Buffalo MSG. 

ESPN + seems to have all the Sabres games. We get it for free in a Hulu / Disney + bundle when we got a new phone. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Unfortunately, Google will probably monetize this better than DirecTV did.  There will not be a "retention department" to call.

Anyone expecting some kind of ala carte thing will be disappointed.   The value of Sunday ticket is fans out of the market of their team....that is what will generate money.  They "give" you everything even though you can only watch one 1PM and one 4PM game.  

I heard a rumor that a lot of out of market folks have YT TV registered in the Buffalo area, and basically get Buffalo area tv channels. 

$2 billion per season

about 50% goes towards players salaries

($2 billion*0.5) /. 32 teams = 31.5 million approximately in salary cap space 

not sure if my math is correct but its got to be in the ball park. Will they add that in one season I don't know but I thouhgt the CBA had provisions that approx 50% of all TV monies go towards player salaries.

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I heard a rumor that a lot of out of market folks have YT TV registered in the Buffalo area, and basically get Buffalo area tv channels. 

That won't last. They will protect their investment and block anyone who pings off a local distribution router in the WNY area.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Unfortunately, Google will probably monetize this better than DirecTV did.  There will not be a "retention department" to call.

Anyone expecting some kind of ala carte thing will be disappointed.   The value of Sunday ticket is fans out of the market of their team....that is what will generate money.  They "give" you everything even though you can only watch one 1PM and one 4PM game.  

I haven’t paid for full-price ticket in years— maybe in over a decade. I will miss the deals we would get from DTV.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Nice- we switched to YTTV in January and we love it.  

Cool to hear.

I have been looking into it but held off till I saw what was happening with Sunday Ticket.

It looks like a rock solid deal, much cheaper than DirectTV....

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Do any of the "free" options consistently work throughout the entire stream, though? No freezing, no excessive buffering, that kind of nonsense?

I'm legitimately asking, because I've been paying for NFL Gamepass for the past few years to ensure that I get high video quality and that the game actually works and doesn't have all sorts of tech hiccups.

In your experience, are the free streams actually GOOD?

used be that way. it was a pain in the ass with pop ups, the buffering and losing the feed altogether but that was years ago. some of those issues you mention could still happen even (internet connection, ect) with those "legal" sites but just as everything else internet related they have advanced as well. now, I can watch a game in HD until the end although you do deal with some delay, not minutes by any means but at least 30-45 seconds.

not going to guarantee you or anyone else would have the same success but for me it has been my Sunday ticket for years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

used be that way. it was a pain in the ass with pop ups, the buffering and losing the feed altogether but that was years ago. some of those issues you mention could still happen even (internet connection, ect) with those "legal" sites but just as everything else internet related they have advanced as well. now, I can watch a game in HD until the end although you do deal with some delay, not minutes by any means but at least 30-45 seconds.

not going to guarantee you or anyone else would have the same success but for me it has been my Sunday ticket for years.

I agree with this-  although I don’t think I’d ever trust it to watch a Bills game- I watch all the bills games at the local bills bar and have never had the NFL package. 

I use a website for all games not Bills- the site I use is solid, but sometimes freezes and I’ll have to refresh (maybe 1-2 times per game at most).  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

bout 50% goes towards players salaries

($2 billion*0.5) /. 32 teams = 31.5 million approximately in salary cap space 

not sure if my math is correct but its got to be in the ball park. Will they add that in one season I don't know but I thouhgt the CBA had provisions that approx 50% of all TV monies go towards player salarie

But they already had $1.5B coming in, so the real increase will be like 8 million per team-ish

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, phypon said:

As for a few seconds of delay time, really?  Most services outside of an antenna have a delay of some sort.  I don't mind being 30 seconds behind real time.  Are we really that hell bent on a fractional time differential?  

YTTV allows for unlimited DVR'ing.  If they allow DVR'ing for the games that's also a huge value added service.

This seems like a huge win for football fans.  Of course, we'll have to see the pricing, but there seems to be a lot more upside over DTV just with this announcement. 

I actually don't mind it either UNLESS the disparity between a TV call and a radio call is 30 seconds......

30 seconds conceivably an entire football play behind OR ahead depending on who you are watchin-listening to?

Am I missing somethin here?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I agree with this-  although I don’t think I’d ever trust it to watch a Bills game- I watch all the bills games at the local bills bar and have never had the NFL package. 

I use a website for all games not Bills- the site I use is solid, but sometimes freezes and I’ll have to refresh (maybe 1-2 times per game at most).  

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Thank you both for the replies.

I guess maybe I'm still thinking of how it was the last time I did it regularly, a few years back. The pop-ups, dropped feeds, buffering, or the possibility that the stream could be discovered at any time and taken down was all too much of a risk for me.

Watching Bills games is one of my great joys, and I just didn't want to risk having to spend all day monkeying with the website trying to get the stream to re-load or what have you. And if it dropped altogether and I missed the game...man, that would be a Sunday ruiner. On the other hand, $250 per year is a lot of coin to spend on NFL Gamepass, so if several people tell me the other streams have improved and are pretty reliable these days, I'm willing to give it a shot. I think I'll check out the Bears and Pats games that way and see how it goes as a test run for next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thank you both for the replies.

I guess maybe I'm still thinking of how it was the last time I did it regularly, a few years back. The pop-ups, dropped feeds, buffering, or the possibility that the stream could be discovered at any time and taken down was all too much of a risk for me.

Watching Bills games is one of my great joys, and I just didn't want to risk having to spend all day monkeying with the website trying to get the stream to re-load or what have you. And if it dropped altogether and I missed the game...man, that would be a Sunday ruiner. On the other hand, $250 per year is a lot of coin to spend on NFL Gamepass, so if several people tell me the other streams have improved and are pretty reliable these days, I'm willing to give it a shot. I think I'll check out the Bears and Pats games that way and see how it goes as a test run for next year.

Make sure you download ABP (Ad Blocker Pro), it's free and cuts out 99% of the crap on any site, not just streams. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I haven’t paid for full-price ticket in years— maybe in over a decade. I will miss the deals we would get from DTV.

Yeah, that's one downside, small as it will be.

I figure I'll save $57/month by going to YTTV...that's $684/year.  Even if ST winds up costing ~$400, it's still a savings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

if you don't live in Buffalo, how else do you get the non prime-time games (which, this year, were very few!) 

2022 has been the best year for Bills games in Albany.  Only the 11/20 Cleveland game & the Amazon Thursday Night game weren't on home TV (Local broadcast, ESPN or NFL Network).  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I wasnt comfortable with Apple getting it either.  Over time I have had nothing but bad experiences with all their proprietary hardware and software, attempting to force you into their ecosystem.  I doubt they would just give the package away out of the goodness of their heart without re-couping the money out of our wallets.

Not super pleases about Youtube TV/google, but at least im a PC/android/google user.

43 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

YouTube TV does not carry MSG in my market Erie, PA. And I can confirm Sabres are blacked out on ESPN+ since Erie is in that markets radius (which is bs since no one here offers MSG except DTV). There are workarounds via geo-changing, but it's a huge pita.

Yeah, this is where I'm at as well. And right when it looks like the Sabres might be on the verge of being relevant again. :wallbash:

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

I actually don't mind it either UNLESS the disparity between a TV call and a radio call is 30 seconds......

30 seconds conceivably an entire football play behind OR ahead depending on who you are watchin-listening to?

Am I missing somethin here?

Games have been delayed like that for years.. decades.  There’s various lags between the different network feeds, online streams, Sunday ticket.   My family group text.. 6 of us spread pit around the country... has one rule... no texting during the Bills game.  Because someone is always a play or so ahead/behind.  So the lag isn’t an issue as I see it.  

I’ve tried all manner of free feed over the years. Some are good, they’ve gotten better; but all require some fidgeting to get a good stream that doesn’t crap out a few times a game. I currently found a site that shows replays of all the games a day later. Love that for rewatching the games. 

I don’t know anyone with YouTube tv. My sister has given me  her direct tv/sunday ticket password for years. So i can stream those games, if needed.  In return she uses my amazon and Netflix as she needs. Its worked pretty good. 

This year, the number of times i needed her sunday ticket to watch the games has dwindled significantly!  With the Bills being good and on all the different days and time slots.. I finally hooked up a cheap digital antenna, used the ticket, her direc tv passord for nfl network and espn, my amazon, and one free site when i had “issues”... its been ridiculous piecing the season together!!   

But anyone thinking this deal will be good for them because google will offer packages that are cheaper, keep your dreams alive.  The one thing, none of these corporations or the NFL care about is giving us a good deal.  They’re gonna make their money, keep raising prices and working to make free loaders like me work harder each year!  LOL.  Its kinda like a challenge to stick it to the man at this point. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.