NFL Rules on Heaters For Sidelines?

Warriorspikes51

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  Anyone who thinks the Bills would even consider letting their own players freeze with no heaters is out of their minds.  

it's up to the players.  they have winter gear.  or maybe the dolphin's heaters might malfunction.  would they cry about i mean forfeit the game on account of malfunctioning sideline heaters?  

Edited by jethro_tull

21 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The cold and snow is already in the Dolphins heads especially Tuna.

I heard him on TV saying that he played in a snow game his first year at Alabama. Apparently they had an inch in Northern Alabama and some flurries at the stadium. And then he commented that it snow's in Alabama too. He'll be the first one running for the heated bus.

Squish the Fish

Pummel the water mammals

He said it snowed when he was in his first year at Alabama.  Didn't say when.  This is Tua's game log from his first year.  Please find the game where it would have snowed.  (I checked November 18 already... the high was 75 and the low was 63.)

Maybe it snowed in February or something.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 4.34.51 PM.png

3 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

it's up to the players.  they have winter gear.  or maybe the dolphin's heaters might malfunction.  would they cry about i mean forfeit the game on account of malfunctioning sideline heaters?  

it's "up to the players" whether they want heaters on the sidelines??

lol, no.

15 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Just crank the heat to 85 in the visiting locker room, get them all good and sweaty and send them out to the freezing temps.

Why stop at 85?  I love the creative idea.  Since they have to be allowed heaters because our team wants heaters, you’re best bet is sauna temps so 105-110 degrees.

Now that stark change to 6 degrees windchill is perfect.  My cynical and hatred for Fish says get the maintenance on non stop Mighty Taco and they are only allowed to relieve themselves  in the visitor locker room for a very special surprise for the one toilet they have festering until tomorrow night at 8:20 pm.

screw those guys.

Oh, and Tua will figure out tomorrow night that Alabama snow isn’t  Orchard Park.  Let the games and torture begin.

Edited by machine gun kelly

On 12/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, Bubba Gump said:

Tus is still gonna have to throw a block of ice with his little tiny baby hands. Should be the only advantage the Bills need. That and plenty of hot chicken broth, like they had last year when it was 5 degrees out. 

Yea can’t wait to see Tua try throwing a frozen ball with snow packed in the laces lol…..

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mango said:

For player safety concerns, the league needs to figure out how to manage Miami better. Full stop. I don't think they are going to ever allow a fully tarped sideline and adding any roof protection would take too much time and too much money to push through and have installed for the next season. @Richard Noggin suggested that Miami plays the first few weeks of the season at 4:30 only. This is likely the most implementable immediate solution. 

The question remains, though: aside from an obvious mitigation of the sun's angle of incidence from early afternoon to late afternoon (as the sun gets lower in the sky its radiation is considerably more filtered out by our atmosphere), DOES that acceptably alleviate the dangerous conditions on the visiting sideline? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:48 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm seeing people claiming that if the Bills decide not to use heaters, the Dolphins can't either.

Anyone know what the official rules are on this?

That's the rule 

Just now, Bronxbomber21 said:

That's the rule it's up to what the home team chooses. I would give Miami the OLDER heaters thats on its last leg that real doesn't work

Again... How can Miami use the stadium roof for shade and the visitors aren't afforded the same thing?

Aren't they using something the other team isn't?

And portable tents don't count.  Both teams should have the same equipment.  The stadium roof in Miami is no different as equipment when compared to heated benches.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

The Dolphins know they are gaming the equity rule with their new roof. The League should force them to at very least switch sides at halftime if the team can't provide equal shade. No different than turning benches on.

Here's the dig, the rub... They know what they are doing:

Check out this dig from McDaniel: "You don't really prepare for it besides mentally deciding whether it's going to matter to you, or not," McDaniel said. "To me, you just decide whether you're going to let it factor in or not, and then you adjust as best you can. There's certain things that become harder when there's moisture or it hits a certain level of frigidness. But the good news is that there's not different atmospheres on both sidelines. We will be playing the game in the same elements."

THERE were literally different atmospheres in Miami between the sidelines back in late September!

I say let miami bring the best heaters they can because it will be so cold on the field they will be thinking more about getting to that heater on the sodelines than playing hardnosed football.I could see Dolphins players bow out a lil easier n just want to be next to the heat.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Again... How can Miami use the stadium roof for shade and the visitors aren't afforded the same thing?

Aren't they using something the other team isn't?

And portable tents don't count.  Both teams should have the same equipment.  The stadium roof in Miami is no different as equipment when compared to heated benches.

Except it is different.  It’s the stadium-  it’s not equipment

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Dolphins know they are gaming the equity rule with their new roof. The League should force them to at very least switch sides at halftime if the team can't provide equal shade. No different than turning benches on.

Here's the dig, the rub... They know what they are doing:

Check out this dig from McDaniel: "You don't really prepare for it besides mentally deciding whether it's going to matter to you, or not," McDaniel said. "To me, you just decide whether you're going to let it factor in or not, and then you adjust as best you can. There's certain things that become harder when there's moisture or it hits a certain level of frigidness. But the good news is that there's not different atmospheres on both sidelines. We will be playing the game in the same elements."

THERE were literally different atmospheres in Miami between the sidelines back in late September!

-Switch the entire sideline?  Lol- put down the bottle, game doesn’t start for 9 hours!

-of course they know what they’re doing.  They currently have a loop hole and if I were then, I’d take advantage of it until the league does something about it

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

I say let miami bring the best heaters they can because it will be so cold on the field they will be thinking more about getting to that heater on the sodelines than playing hardnosed football.I could see Dolphins players bow out a lil easier n just want to be next to the heat.

They can put all the heaters on the sideline they want, but that field is going to be soooo cold when broken Tua is lying on it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

They can put all the heaters on the sideline they want, but that field is going to be soooo cold when broken Tua is lying on it.

God I can’t wait to see Milano at the right time come in like a heat seeking missile legally with the shoulder pads to the numbers, and see Tua whence in agony like Mike White.  Then the next play Oliver hits him again and he has to go to the tent.  Not a serious injury, just this isn’t Alabama, this freakin Orchard Park in December.

THIS IS DECEMBER FOOTBALL IN BUFFALO!  Get used to it!  🏋️🥊🏈🏈🏈

Edited by machine gun kelly

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

God I can’t wait to see Milano at the right time come in like a heat seeking missile legally with the shoulder pads to the numbers, and see Tua whence in agony like Mike White.  Then the next play Oliver hits him again and he has to go to the tent.  Not a serious injury, just this isn’t Alabama, this freakin Orchard Park in December.

THIS IS DECEMBER FOOTBALL IN BUFFALO!  Get used to it!  🏋️🥊🏈🏈🏈

Are those symbols...uterus, punch, football, football, football?

If so, I agree!

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Except it is different.  It’s the stadium-  it’s not equipment

-Switch the entire sideline?  Lol- put down the bottle, game doesn’t start for 9 hours!

-of course they know what they’re doing.  They currently have a loop hole and if I were then, I’d take advantage of it until the league does something about it

Sure sounds like it's equipment.  The original design of Hard Rock didn't have that equipment.  It was added 30 years later... Just like adding heated benches.

They added the roof and only one team, the home team benefits from it.  It's not structural.  It can be taken off.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure sounds like it's equipment.  The original design of Hard Rock didn't have that equipment.  It was added 30 years later... Just like adding heated benches.

They added the roof and only one team, the home team benefits from it.  It's not structural.  It can be taken off.

But it’s not equipment-  it’s part of the stadium.  

like I said-  the dolphins will (and should) continue to take advantage of it as long as the league continues to do nothing about it.

i agree with you…..it’s an unfair advantage and can be dangerous to the players….. but the blame goes to the NFL, not Miami imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The question remains, though: aside from an obvious mitigation of the sun's angle of incidence from early afternoon to late afternoon (as the sun gets lower in the sky its radiation is considerably more filtered out by our atmosphere), DOES that acceptably alleviate the dangerous conditions on the visiting sideline? 

I don’t necessarily mind the difference between sidelines as a home field advantage. I do mind it when it starts to toe and cross the line of player safety. It’s certainly something to pay attention to though. The league is pushing for so many new stadiums, you certainly want to make sure that physical home field advantages don’t start to get way out of whack. 

I am not a meteorologist, but the league should have a formula and plan in place. Something like estimated heat index + due point = moved time slot. If it crosses that threshold 30 minutes before kickoff then there is a requirement for both sidelines to have some sort of NFL/Miami branded canopy rolled out. This is likely a scenario that only gets used 0-2 times per year. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

This isn’t that cold of a game. We’ve officially reached the point where even we are over exaggerating the weather issues. 

Football players will be playing in snow.  The kid from Hawaii might struggle but the rest of the roster will be fine. Their only struggle will be whether or not their game plan can acclimate to the snow and a little bit of luck in regards to not slipping. But 6’4 250 men aren’t running to the sideline because it’s 28 and snowing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

like I said-  the dolphins will (and should) continue to take advantage of it as long as the league continues to do nothing about it.

i agree with you…..it’s an unfair advantage and can be dangerous to the players….. but the blame goes to the NFL, not Miami imo

It would take a player to die of heat stroke before the reactive NFL does anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, Gisele said:

They intentionally built their stadium this way.  They don't have to use any shades on their side due to the stadium design so opposing teams can't use any either.  Brilliant, but cruel.   

and a violation the the equity rules.  What if we install permanent heated seats on the bills sideline but not the other.  

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

then make heated seats, or better, a heated canopy over the Bills sideline “part of the stadium”. 

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and a violation the the equity rules.  What if we install permanent heated seats on the bills sideline but not the other.  

then make heated seats, or better, a heated canopy over the Bills sideline “part of the stadium”. 

Brains would likely rule those options out

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It would take a player to die of heat stroke before the reactive NFL does anything. 

Korey Stringer’s family would point out how quickly we forget. I know, it wasn’t in a game in front of the world, and it was years ago, but the same principles apply.  You can DIE from that heat! 

EDIT: We are also a different society now, for better or for worse. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As many NFL Players have died of heat stroke after a game as have been hit by lightning

That might be because they stop the game if lightning is a threat. Possibly a factor there. In that case they take players off the field because, well…….they could DIE! 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That box has already been checked, multiple times, but still no substantial changes. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/07/12/marion-barbers-death-what-we-know-dangers-heatstroke/10036028002/

Edited by Saint Doug
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.