NFL Rules on Heaters For Sidelines?

Warriorspikes51

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Bills had cooling benches and AC units. So did the Dolphins. The issue is direct sunlight and the NFL is protecting line of sight for camera's and fans over players so teams cannot bring tents. 

Bill Bellichick has circumvented that rule with temporary shade covers over the benches. It was certainly smart, but ultimately I wish that somebody didn't need to find a loophole for such a rule. 

Given the fact that the Vikings and Bills both had dangerous weather and this has become a national topic, I would not be shocked to see some sort of rule change proposed this offseason. Miami is installing cooling fans in the upper deck on that side of the field for their fans. Something should be done in the same of safety, the rule isn't cutting it. 

Exactly.  Not even getting into the "unfair advantage" part, it's just outright dangerous to be playing in that kind of heat with no relief.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Did you read this somewhere? First I heard this. The Patriots had to ship their own cooling benches down to Florida to use.

Yeah, in post game interviews. Players mentioned the cooling fans were just blowing hot air, and the bench wasn't doing enough. 

That is correct about shipping their own benches. The Bills did the same thing. In the shade, Miami might not use their cooling benches, which means they don't need to provide them, but it doesn't prohibit anybody from using them.

I think its likely that this stuff is pretty common, teams like and know their own equipment. If they are going to play in say GB in January I would imagine the Bills bring their own benches and heaters even though GB would be able required to provide them.

If I were a team I would consider always traveling with my own benches. Sounds weird, but that means everywhere your team goes on the road they are sitting in the same seat. There is a certain amount of comfort and consistency to that. Not a whole lot different than the Bills playing in Detroit on the away side two weeks in a row 

• Like (+1) 1

People keep saying that according to the rules the home team needs to provide the away team with whatever they are using (AC benches, Heating benches, etc.). But, the Bills brought their own AC benches to Miami (Miami did not provide them). And I am pretty sure that, at the time, it was reported that the Bills had to bring their own benches because Miami wasn't going to provide them. So, that would have to mean that either the Fish decided not to use AC benches on their own sideline for that game (which I doubt...but don't remember off hand if they did use them or not), that they offered them but the Bills wanted to bring their own (which is not how the story was reported), or the reporters at the time misreported this issue (weren't clear on the rules or why the Bills brought their own benches). Even though the Fish were in the shade, I can't imagine they weren't using cooling benches for their players in that heat (no matter how used to it they were). That would seem to be endangering players for a competitive advantage. But then they did throw Tua back in the game with a concussion, so maybe they don't care that much about their own player's safety.

Anyone have any insight on this or remember things differently?

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The Bills had cooling benches and AC units. So did the Dolphins. The issue is direct sunlight and the NFL is protecting line of sight for camera's and fans over players so teams cannot bring tents. 

Bill Bellichick has circumvented that rule with temporary shade covers over the benches. It was certainly smart, but ultimately I wish that somebody didn't need to find a loophole for such a rule. 

Given the fact that the Vikings and Bills both had dangerous weather and this has become a national topic, I would not be shocked to see some sort of rule change proposed this offseason. Miami is installing cooling fans in the upper deck on that side of the field for their fans. Something should be done in the same of safety, the rule isn't cutting it. 

Easy. Finish closing the roof. Open it to let grass grow.  The grass is growing now... How hard is it to make it like a sun/moonroof now @ HardRock?

Or... A sun retractable shade over the hole in roof... 

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Whatever they do, there won't be any heaters on the field of play.

The advantage is simple:

Hill and Waddle will be less sure footed and less sure handed. Add to that Tua having to throw a cold, hard ball in Buffalo winds….,advantage Bills.

Also, I truly hope we knock Tua’s cheating “ What concussion, I didn’t have a concussion “ arse straight out of the game!!!!!

Don’t get mad, Get even😈😈😈

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Whatever they do, there won't be any heaters on the field of play.

The advantage is simple:

Hill and Waddle will less sure footed and less sure handed. Add to that Tua having to throw a cold, hard ball in Buffalo winds….,advantage Bills.

Also, I truly hope we knock Tua’s cheating “ What concussion, I didn’t have a concussion “ arse straight out of the game!!!!!

Don’t get mad, Get even😈😈😈

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The question is like retractable roofs, which some stadiums have, when does this need to be declared?

If Bills say no heating equipment can they declare it when inactives need to be declared so Bills players and staff know equipment to wear?

Personally I think it is time to do a Pat(hetic)s trick in response to Phish half sun stadium and have mysterious fuses blown when Phish equipment is hooked up.

I agree and while we're at it short circuit their locker room heat. Get in their heads before they even take the field.

15 minutes ago, folz said:

People keep saying that according to the rules the home team needs to provide the away team with whatever they are using (AC benches, Heating benches, etc.). But, the Bills brought their own AC benches to Miami (Miami did not provide them). And I am pretty sure that, at the time, it was reported that the Bills had to bring their own benches because Miami wasn't going to provide them. So, that would have to mean that either the Fish decided not to use AC benches on their own sideline for that game (which I doubt...but don't remember off hand if they did use them or not), that they offered them but the Bills wanted to bring their own (which is not how the story was reported), or the reporters at the time misreported this issue (weren't clear on the rules or why the Bills brought their own benches). Even though the Fish were in the shade, I can't imagine they weren't using cooling benches for their players in that heat (no matter how used to it they were). That would seem to be endangering players for a competitive advantage. But then they did throw Tua back in the game with a concussion, so maybe they don't care that much about their own player's safety.

Anyone have any insight on this or remember things differently?

It's because the new partial roof makes the home sideline 40°-50° cooler. The home team has a roof... Don't need AC!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

For next years sauna game in Miami I was thinking we should just build a 4’ high tent over our benches with AC that won’t won’t obstruct the fans.  Maybe that is not possible.  

No tents. You can have staff hold tarps or whatever for cover. I don't know if there are rules on sizing or number of staff that are allowed on the sidelines. The Bills had guys holding shade on their sideline as well. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

No tents. You can have staff hold tarps or whatever for cover. I don't know if there are rules on sizing or number of staff that are allowed on the sidelines. The Bills had guys holding shade on their sideline as well. 

Yet... Miami gets one big permanent tent. The roof above them!

How does that float with the League?

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's because the new partial roof makes the home sideline 40°-50° cooler. The home team has a roof... Don't need AC!

You're right. I just went thru the highlight video and some photos from the game and it appears that Miami did not use AC benches, just cooling fans. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Last year, the Patriots shipped air conditioned benches to Miami to use during the game.

I doubt Miami allowed that. I’m guessing that benches are allowed regardless and are not part of the equity rule.

You are allowed to bring anything you want within league rules for general equipment use. Miami cannot prohibit the use of anything. They only have to provide the same equipment that they use. If they don't use it, they don't provide it. The team is welcome to put whatever they want on a plane and ship it though. 

The issues in Miami are: 

1. Direct sunlight on one side and not the other based on the construction of the building.

2. The rules regarding tents/structures on sidelines in order to protect line of sight for TV's and spectators rather than player safety.

The equity rule doesn't actually matter all that much here and we (fans) keep misinterpreting it.

I think that the climate change we are experiencing will make the "outlier" hot games more and more dangerous as time goes on. The NFL may have do something eventually to flex games in extreme heat to the evening. But they won't do anything that takes away a single dollar from the coffers. I imagine someone will have to die before they change anything. Like the hockey and baseball protective netting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gisele said:

They intentionally built their stadium this way.  They don't have to use any shades on their side due to the stadium design so opposing teams can't use any either.  Brilliant, but cruel.   

I’d simply set up pop up tents or umbrellas and use misters anyway.  The team can make a statement like “player safety is more important to us than any fine the league will issue”

win the game pay the fine and win the PR battle 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.