Where was the best hamburger you’ve ever ate?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bill Gray’s? I used to love that place as a kid. Used to go to one in Fairport and one at Eastview Mall. Great burgers and great crinkle fries.  I wonder if they are still around. 

I make it a point to go there every time I visit friends and family.  The last time was 5 years ago, and business seemed to be booming.

Unfortunately, I found out that they make their own version of a Garbage Plate and ate too many of them during my visit.  I swear to God that I'm still carrying around an extra 5-10 pounds from that trip. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

I recently went to lunch at the Garrison in Lake George, NY.  Decided to try what they call the T-Burger.

T-BURGER

8 oz grilled patty with melted American cheese, a hard fried egg, jalapenos and applewood-smoked bacon.

Simple, but was cooked perfectly medium and absolutely fantastic.

Over easy and no jalapenos

14 hours ago, teef said:

i can't think of one specific place, but the better burgers i've had are from restaurants that aren't burger places.  We have an place by us that i suppose you would call italian as it's the bulk of the menu, but they always have a burger on the menu, (type changes with the season) that's out of this world.  there's even a mexican place in the city that has one of the better burgers in the area.

And those places are?

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I had a shake shack burger in an airport once that caused me to change my shorts.

Best burger ever and totally worth the felany. 

You realize there are three reasons one's shorts would require changing.  Two are very bad.  Readers presume you are referring to the third reason.  In my advanced years, I find I am more likely to skew to the bad. 🙁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

16 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Good topic. I’m sure I’ll think of more but these couple popped into my head first.

Thurman cafe: Columbus staple, can’t go wrong with any but the Thurman burger is pure gluttonous bliss
https://places.singleplatform.com/thurman-cafe/menu?menu_id=551975#all-menus

Coyote bluff cafe: Amarillo, Tx. Was on man vs food many years ago. I did the burger from hell it was excellent. Cool little spot. 

https://www.coyotebluffcafe.com/menu.html

Thurman's does a pretty mean burger.  Betty's down by the baseball and soccer stadiums is one to check out.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And those places are?

here's the italian place: https://companetrattoria.com/menu

and here's the mexican place: https://l4h642.p3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/BH-fall-2022-Nov15.pdf

both have great burgers for a non-traditional burger place.  the first restaurant changes them seasonally too.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

City Grille in Rochester (Closed)

Ray's Hellburger in Arlington Virginia (closed)

Merchants Grille in Rochester - Black n blue burger

Gatehouse in Village Gate Rochester

My backyard - Ground Prime Rib or Ground Brisket, Teriyaki sauce (just a bit) Chedder, Red Onions, Lettuce, Tomato on an English Muffin

9 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

City Grille in Rochester (Closed)

Ray's Hellburger in Arlington Virginia (closed)

Merchants Grille in Rochester - Black n blue burger

Gatehouse in Village Gate Rochester

My backyard - Ground Prime Rib or Ground Brisket, Teriyaki sauce (just a bit) Chedder, Red Onions, Lettuce, Tomato on an English Muffin

thank you for mentioning the gatehouse.  it's probably one of the best in this area.  also, right around the corner...GL+Dinner.jpgthe good luck burger is amazing, and take multiple people to eat.

22 hours ago, teef said:

and here's the mexican place: https://l4h642.p3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/BH-fall-2022-Nov15.pdf

both have great burgers for a non-traditional burger place.  the first restaurant changes them seasonally too.  

There's gotta be something to this because theoretically great chefs would make awesome burgers, but they're not gonna be working at a burger joint.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:07 AM, teef said:

What do you think of the Good Luck burger everyone raves about?  I enjoy it but its not my favorite example of a burger by a long shot. 

32 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What do you think of the Good Luck burger everyone raves about?  I enjoy it but its not my favorite example of a burger by a long shot. 

ya know, we always get it, but it's mostly because i'm not in love with their menu, and want to know i'll leave somewhat full.  it's a good burger, but no one at the table ever wants it cooked the same way, (it serves 4 or a full meal for two).  anything from the gatehouse is far better imo.

i feel that way about good luck in general.  i love the bar, there's always good looking women to look at, but the food just doesn't do it for me.  not that it's not well made, just more not my thing.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's gotta be something to this because theoretically great chefs would make awesome burgers, but they're not gonna be working at a burger joint.

absolutely.  same thing with wings.  the first place i listed has amazing wings, it's just not typical for the menu.

Edited by teef

10 minutes ago, teef said:

i feel that way about good luck in general.  i love the bar, there's always good looking women to look at, but the food just doesn't do it for me.

Dentist.  Bit of a watcher.  F***, you are  Tim Whatley! 😳  Next thing you know, you'll be announcing that you've converted.

15 minutes ago, teef said:

ya know, we always get it, but it's mostly because i'm not in love with their menu, and want to know i'll leave somewhat full.  it's a good burger, but no one at the table ever wants it cooked the same way, (it serves 4 or a full meal for two).  anything from the gatehouse is far better imo.

i feel that way about good luck in general.  i love the bar, there's always good looking women to look at, but the food just doesn't do it for me.  not that it's not well made, just more not my thing.

absolutely.  same thing with wings.  the first place i listed has amazing wings, it's just not typical for the menu.

I no longer live in Rochester but I love Good Luck.  The menu doesn't always excite me at first glance but I give everything a shot and I can't recall having ever been served a bad dish.  I can safely say I never expected to crave red lentils and tripe in red sauce.  I thought it was best restaurant in town when I was still living there. 

Last time I was home I made it to a new spot with all the buzz, Velvet Belly.  The menu looks great, the atmosphere is nice, excellent scenery but the food was a let down. 

Edited by Jauronimo

37 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I no longer live in Rochester but I love Good Luck.  The menu doesn't always excite me at first glance but I give everything a shot and I can't recall having ever been served a bad dish.  I can safely say I never expected to crave red lentils and tripe in red sauce.  I thought it was best restaurant in town when I was still living there. 

Last time I was home I made it to a new spot with all the buzz, Velvet Belly.  The menu looks great, the atmosphere is nice, excellent scenery but the food was a let down. 

and that's always the way with good luck.  people love it there, and it is a lot of fun.  one of my colleagues went there so often that he's now great friends with the owners.  we went together, and the guy had a special menu made for us.  i like going, but i never get overly excited for the food.  oddly enough one of my hygienists just old me her favorite dish is the lentils.

i've heard the same thing about velvet belly.  i've been there twice, but have never had an actual meal.  we always order a bunch of sushi along with other apps and share.  it's been fantastic, but number of people are very meh towards it.    

even the first menu i shared if from a place we love in fairport.  we go there all the time for quick meal while sitting at the bar and it's great.  last time we had a discussion with the older couple next to us who go weekly because they like it so much. i told my receptionist about it, so she went with a bunch of friends.  they all felt it was average.  i think it's just me.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, teef said:

i can't think of one specific place, but the better burgers i've had are from restaurants that aren't burger places.  We have an place by us that i suppose you would call italian as it's the bulk of the menu, but they always have a burger on the menu, (type changes with the season) that's out of this world.  there's even a mexican place in the city that has one of the better burgers in the area.

No love for the Good Luck burger?

On 12/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Another Fan said:

I hadn’t been there in over 10 years but Donavans Pub in Woodside, Queens.  

Was once recognized as best burger in NYC.  Not sure is still is 

I used to work at a place called the Piper's Kilt, they had a location in the Bronx and another in Inwood, Manhattan, that also at one point was recognized as the best burger in NYC.  They were pretty great.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I think it's awesome.  Very simple with high quality meat.

People go out of control with the outlandish toppings.  Just give me quality   

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2022 at 5:24 PM, mead107 said:

McDonald’s quarter pounder with cheese 

My favorite burger is a mushroom swiss burger. McDonald's had the best ones, perfect blend of tasty mushrooms & seasoning.  I used to go once a week for them, then I went one day & it was discontinued.  

I had Covid last week (now testing negative) and when I ran out of food in the house late last week, I ended up getting 3 McDonald's Quarter Pounders with cheese along with 3 cheeseburgers at the drive thru window to get me through the weekend.   Good thing I'm not superstitious or I'd now have to eat a quarter pounder with cheese before every Bills game because the Bills won last week.  Or maybe I should never have a QPWC before the game because it caused all those punts in the 1st half.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

In Hawaii a Teriyaki burger with caramelized Maui onions, sliced beefsteak tomato and grilled pineapple slice on toasted Hawaiian bread bun with kosher salt on it cooked on a lava rock grill with Kiawe wood.

Not only unique, it probably has a hula dance dedicated to how it's prepared.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.