Isaiah McKenzie Show 12/12 - discusses drops, his role, and offensive malaise

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I do. 

But there’s something ironic about people on a message board who discuss every little thing a player (person) does in their public life, shaming players for having emotions. 

Not singling you out… the whole concept is funny to me. 

Well, it's interesting you characterize it as "shaming players for having emotions"

I think McKenzie is more of a liability than an asset.  His overall success from last year led to more playing time this year that just hasn’t panned out.  I think Dorsey is trying too hard to get him in the game plan and in doing so sacrifices the rhythm of the offense.  An example was in KC, we inexplicably forced the use of McKenzie in the red zone and turned the ball over because he doesn’t know the play or was focused on something else.  I’ve seen enough to not trust him in the playoffs.  Completely agree with bringing in Beas for the push to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

"I actually got the ball that time" referring to Thanksgiving....

then the "you were the scapegoat for not stopping Taylor" comment from the host about the Colts game as they were rehashing last season...

Seems like there's a "I'm the victim" vibe, although I do still like McKenzie. Can't blame a competitor for being frustrated for not  (in his mind) getting a chance to contribute 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

What would you characterize it as? 

Open and honest feedback from someone who has no idea what it’s like? 😂

It's a criticism about him allowing a certain segment of the social circle to affect him enough that it shows outwardly and he acts on it.

It's like if you're out barhopping with your buddy and some random homeless person throws a banana peel at you. When your buddy freaks out at this random stranger who probably has mental issues and starts getting into a fight with them, are you just gonna be like "yeah, let those emotions out Buddy."

If you tell him he shouldn't let that random homeless person affect him, then I guess your shaming him for having emotions. I mean, why shouldn't he take it personally? The banana peel was aimed right at him.

12 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

"I actually got the ball that time" referring to Thanksgiving....

then the "you were the scapegoat for not stopping Taylor" comment from the host about the Colts game as they were rehashing last season...

Seems like there's a "I'm the victim" vibe, although I do still like McKenzie. Can't blame a competitor for being frustrated for not  (in his mind) getting a chance to contribute 

McKenzie: “5 TDs” (snarky)

Dunne eggs him on a lot 

18 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

So it I'm reading this properly: McKenzie does not take personal accountability for his drops and wants more targets.

That's gotta be the chocolate and peanut butter of attitude that McDermott wants from this receivers.

Thanks to all who gave a synopsis.

Pretty much. I haven’t listened to the entire thing yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

But...home field advantage, no dome. Could it be true that our own players don't want to play in bad weather either?

Honestly, I’d say 99% of the players don’t want to play in it, including our own. Not many players are comfortable being uncomfortable. The last 1% are the guys that can find the fun in it, like Dion Dawkins.  That doesn’t mean I don’t think the team has the mental toughness to do so, just that they’d rather not.

I 100% gurantee if you polled the Bills locker room, coaches and players, on if they prefer to play indoors or outdoors in Buffalo bad weather, the vast majority will select in a dome.  

What we do best is tied up in a quarter of a billion dollar QB who airs it out.  They want to win game, they want to play their best football.  

Dome is the better choice for true home field advantage where Bills Mafia can make it deafening and the Bills can play their best on the field.  Not to mention, our biggest threats in the AFC, and likely will be for years to come...is Cincy and KC, both used to playing in cold bad weather.   

Don't matter now though, it is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not gonna give an hour-plus of my life to a guy I'm fed up with. If anyone watches this, a couple highlights and salient quotes would be appreciated.

Does he say he needs to play better or offer excuses is my big question?

-says he is open a lot but the ball isn't coming to him - not going to complain or ask for the ball more - hopes they will see it eventually because he wants to contribute and be more involved

-Lil Dirty nickname came because he would not shower after practice in camp and wait until the end of the day

-do wet ball drills all the time in practice and says Allen hates them the most of anyone

-said he would be #5 if he could pick any number because he wore it growing up in little league.

-says Matt Milano is his favorite player on the team but he hates him in practice because he hits people like he hit Mike White all the time.  Plays in practice exactly the way he does in the game. 

-if Bills win the SB, he is retiring(100% not joking)

-once he retires said he plans to drink alcohol and do some drugs for the first time

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4

So I was listening to the podcast and Dunne and McKenzie were talking about how you prepare for bad weather before the game.  McKenzie didn't really have an answer, then asked Dunne what he thought.  Dunne responded by saying "maybe run the ball more.  Is it that simple?"  McKenzie goes "No, because we can barely run the ball when its sunny out."  

WOW    😬

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a criticism about him allowing a certain segment of the social circle to affect him enough that it shows outwardly and he acts on it.

It's like if you're out barhopping with your buddy and some random homeless person throws a banana peel at you. When your buddy freaks out at this random stranger who probably has mental issues and starts getting into a fight with them, are you just gonna be like "yeah, let those emotions out Buddy."

If you tell him he shouldn't let that random homeless person affect him, then I guess your shaming him for having emotions. I mean, why shouldn't he take it personally? The banana peel was aimed right at him.

You missed the mark here.

It’s not one instance… using your analogy… it would be like on any given day when you walk down the street, every homeless person you walk by throws a banana peel at you.

Sure, the first time you laugh it off as the crazy homeless person… but then it happens a thousand times over. You’re just going to sit there, wear it and smile? Not even an ounce of frustration or retaliation… that’s just unrealistic. 

Edited by JGMcD2

4 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

So I was listening to the podcast and Dunne and McKenzie were talking about how you prepare for bad weather before the game.  McKenzie didn't really have an answer, then asked Dunne what he thought.  Dunne responded by saying "maybe run the ball more.  Is it that simple?"  McKenzie goes "No, because we can barely run the ball when its sunny out."  

WOW    😬

Yup. I thought he even said “we can’t even run the ball when it’s sunny”

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

That may have been it, I may have worded it a bit wrong.  But either way, not something you want to say.

If he said they can’t, it throws shade at the OL and RBs. If he says they don’t run it, shot at Dorsey. Not sure who you want to  be taking shots at right now. Too lazy to go back and listen again 

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

McKenzie pretty clearly has concentration issues on the field, I'm sure the weather was a factor but any time contact is even threatened he doesn't hold onto the ball.  

Another genius who threw a tantrum when I called him Lil' Dummy but is now calling him out. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Guessing McK didn’t actually use the word ‘malaise’: 

He went to Georgia he prefers Duke's malaise to the northern stuff.

52 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I 100% gurantee if you polled the Bills locker room, coaches and players, on if they prefer to play indoors or outdoors in Buffalo bad weather, the vast majority will select in a dome.  

What we do best is tied up in a quarter of a billion dollar QB who airs it out.  They want to win game, they want to play their best football.  

Dome is the better choice for true home field advantage where Bills Mafia can make it deafening and the Bills can play their best on the field.  Not to mention, our biggest threats in the AFC, and likely will be for years to come...is Cincy and KC, both used to playing in cold bad weather.   

No, just no. Cincy and KC do NOT play in bad, cold weather, full stop. They play in cold/chilly occasions (very) occasionally, while the Bills regularly play in precipitation fests with 20+ mph winds and very low windchill temps. The Bills play in hands down the worst conditions in the NFL because of the unique high winds, high precipitation levels, and cold, and it ain’t even close. Regardless of whether the Bills players like playing in these conditions or not, the conditions represent an inarguable home field advantage for the Bills (and when I say inarguable, I mean it). As tough as it might be for them, it’s almost always tougher for opponents not used to it. Outside of the NE game last year — a game the Bills probably should have pulled out at the end — they win virtually all of the rough weather home games. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Another genius who threw a tantrum when I called him Lil' Dummy but is now calling him out. :rolleyes:

He went to Georgia he prefers Duke's malaise to the northern stuff.

All I said was that your tone was ridiculous, which it was. I even said that I understood being frustrated by him, but by all means go off. 

EDIT: Here's the receipts, there were two comments: 

I said "I can understand being frustrated with a player having a poor game but man this post is just in bad taste. With that much vitriol you'd think he stole your wife."

In the same thread I also said "Oh totally. I'm all for seeing somebody else start to eat at McKenzie's snap share, but we don't have to be mean about it."

The only one throwing a tantrum was (and still is) you. 

Edited by Bruffalo

10 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

All I said was that your tone was ridiculous, which it was. I even said that I understood being frustrated by him, but by all means go off. 

I'm just laughing at you clowns who are NOW turning on Lil' Dummy.    He's the same unaccountable screwball he's always been.

It was actually just a vocal minority of idiots who complained about my "tone" in that thread but I went back and quickly took stock of you guys this am so I could watch you now call McKenzie out when he inevitably reacted in his unique way to criticism on his show.    Saying you would be OK with somebody cutting into his snap share is a different league of criticism than calling him out as unfocused on his job.   You should be ashamed of yourself.  Have you ever tried to catch a wet football?  So mean. :lol:   

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not gonna give an hour-plus of my life to a guy I'm fed up with. If anyone watches this, a couple highlights and salient quotes would be appreciated.

Does he say he needs to play better or offer excuses is my big question?

So first of all, it should really be called more like the "Ty Dunne Show featuring Isaiah McKenzie".  Ty Dunne is the one who steers the show and pulls little tidbits out of McKenzie.  Ty Dunne knows his ball, he's a good journalist, he writes entertaining stuff and he's an entertaining host. 

About 38 minutes in, they're talking about Isaiah's mini-bye tweet "can anyone give me a ride from Pittsburgh to Buffalo at 1am?" and what's behind it, and it's hysterical. Their 6-ish pm flight from Miami was delayed to the next day, and he was trying to find a way to get to Buffalo for his 8:30 am meetings.  NYC, nothing; Rochester, Nothing.  Syracuse, Nothing.  He found a flight to Pittsburgh, which he thought was 2 hrs away (it's actually more like 4 hrs).  They got on the plane, and it was missing "a piece".  Isaiah thought it was a part that steers, so they might die.  He thought about calling the coaches "Coach, I was late, because I'm dead".  Dunne asks "would you still be punished for missing the meetings?" Isaiah deadpans "Yes".  He wants the plane to take off, "Whatever happens, Happens" (His GF knew what the piece was, and of course the plane could still steer)

So they get to Pittsburgh and Isaiah says OK, someone is coming to pick us up because I tweeted".  His girlfriend is "so we're just letting some random strangers pick us up?" Isaiah is "well, do you have a better idea?" She tried Uber and Nothing.  So they got a ride and his GF was happy:  "The woman has to be happy - in the end.  Not during the process...In the end"  And he made the meetings!

I can't do it justice, it was really funny.  Then there was a bit about the World Cup and why Isaiah wanted Portugal. "Don't you believe in American Exceptionalism?"

So that's what you get if you watch. 

About the wet ball contest, Ty Dunne took Isaiah seriously and brought a football, but the owner said "No" to any football throwing in his establishment.

----------

First quote from Isaiah: "We could have played better".  Says the Jets are good, they have a good defense, they have a lot of young guys, they will be good for years to come.

They discussed last season, how the Bills were 7-6 at this point now this season they're 10-3 but people are unhappy. 

McKenzie talks about wet ball drills.  "We do wet ball drills at practice, the main person who hates it is Josh.  He hates it.  He hates it."

How hard is it to catch a wet football? "Oh, it's hard, especially with gloves on"

So take the gloves off!  "Good luck!"  (I assume the fingers get stiff from cold but he doesn't say explicitly what the problem is to be gloveless).

Says on the end around, his left hand slipped off the ball and he was going down the left sideline with the ball tucked in his right arm because he couldn't change it, it would slip. 

Isaiah's perspective is in the first half, all the receivers were struggling to catch the ball "I'm the one who got us started (with his 2 completions on the TD drive before half), who else was catching the ball besides me?"  On the TD drive, his POV is he got it going with 2 completions and drew a defensive hold on the ball he didn't catch, then Knox caught a TD, cool.

I looked it up.  Isaiah has a point.  In the first half, Diggs was 3 targets, 1 completion; Brown, Shakir, and Davis all 1 target, 0 completions.  Knox, who also takes flak as "Dropsome Knox" here, was 4 for 4 though.  So, the answer to "who else is catching the ball besides me?" would be"Knox", but for the WR, Isaiah has a point, no one else was catching it.  He doesn't say it, but between the lines ball placement becomes extremely important when it rains (and I'm sure, big hands help)

Dunne asks him if it bothers him when people give him grief.   He said "No".  Said one guy told him he (Isaiah) was losing him a lot of money on his bets.  Isaiah told him "Well, stop betting on me".  Dunne: "Easy fix".  A bit of talk from Dunne about the hypocrisy of NFL supporting betting then putting up a phone number for help.

Anyway, McKenzie's POV seems to be: conditions were tough, he had some good plays that helped the team including a penalty he drew, some catches he didn't make, it is what it is.  His point of view overall is he's not "pooping the bed", he has 5 TD, 38 receptions, if you watch the film, he's open a lot, and that's why he's still playing.  Dunne suggests maybe the fix for the offense is "feed Isaiah McKenzie".  (I can hear all of TBD groaning there).  McKenzie says he doesn't beg for the ball, he doesn't want to be seen different by asking for stuff, he just watches the film with his girlfriend "hey, I'm open here, I'm open there" and then goes back to work.  He feels that he's open in zone.

So if anyone watched or listened who was expecting some groveling or apology, none of that; he says better play is needed but there's a "we" there.

----------

There might be a clue to offensive struggles in some stuff Isaiah says.  He says during the week, "we got the plays, we're practicing hard, we're doing well, the sun is out, everything's fine.  Then Sunday comes, it's raining, we got to change the game plan, we got to run different, catch the ball different.  During the week, you're like ah, I'm feeling good I'm feeling good. Then you get out there and it's a snowstorm, you got to adjust the offense, you got to call certain plays a different way, catch the ball a different way, throw the ball a different way, it's different" 

If this is true, it begs the question why don't the coaches adjust the plays and the throws and the catches DURING THE WEEK when bad weather is expected?  Why don't they practice the way they are, more likely than not, going to have to play?  Craziness if true.

Dunne points out football has always been played in the wind and the snow and the heat, and asks him "so how can these coaches get you be better prepared to handle whatever gets thrown at you on Sunday?"  Isaiah hesitates and hems and haws then says "I don't think there's a preparation for elements...to be honest, I don't know.  We just got to play better football, we understand that. It's not like we don't understand we got to play better football."  (I think McKenzie is trying to stay out of trouble here).

McKenzie asks Dunne,  "I'm trying to figure it out, and I'm on the team, what do you do to be better?" 

Dunne suggests "run the ball more, if it's bad weather, just run it, is it that simple?"  McKenzie says "No"  Dunne says "why not?"  McKenzie says "because we can barely run the ball when it's sunny out".  (Ouch.  McKenzie just opened a can called "Trouble" with his name on it)

----------

• Thank you (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm just laughing at you clowns who are NOW turning on Lil' Dummy.    He's the same unaccountable screwball he's always been.

It was actually just a vocal minority of idiots who complained about my "tone" in that thread but I went back and quickly took stock of you guys this am so I could watch you now call McKenzie out when he inevitably reacted in his unique way to criticism on his show.    Saying you would be OK with somebody cutting into his snap share is a different league of criticism than calling him out as unfocused on his job.   You should be ashamed of yourself.  Have you ever tried to catch a wet football?  So mean. :lol:   

My position didn't change at all.  If there's anyone who should be ashamed it's you, a grown man (assumption), ranting and raving about a player as if he personally did something to you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lots of excuses so far about the weather - I’m about 15 min in. Garrett Wilson didn’t seem to have a problem catching the wet balls, just saying 

Garrett Wilson was, however, apparently whinging about not getting calls (he can get his when they're called equivalently on both defenses - looking at you "Sauce")

I think it's just possible Josh Allen "piss missiles" may be harder to haul in when wet

I also think the coaches need to strip the gloves off the Bills WR in wet weather and make them practice wet ball drills without gloves, because the gloves get slick when it's wet. 

Really, reading between the lines of what McK said, it sounds as though the coaches may be having them practice a fair weather game plan and then changing it up at the last minute, and not having them do enough wet ball practice stuff - which may be influenced by Josh since apparently he hates it.

Note: McKenzie did NOT say this.  It is my interpretation.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Really, reading between the lines of what McK said, it sounds as though the coaches may be having them practice a fair weather game plan and then changing it up at the last minute, and not having them do enough wet ball practice stuff - which may be influenced by Josh since apparently he hates it.

Josh has said he hates the wet ball drill, I think essentially everyone hates that drill, don't see him screwing with the game prep because of that though, just doesn't make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

You missed the mark here.

It’s not one instance… using your analogy… it would be like on any given day when you walk down the street, every homeless person you walk by throws a banana peel at you.

Sure, the first time you laugh it off as the crazy homeless person… but then it happens a thousand times over. You’re just going to sit there, wear it and smile? Not even an ounce of frustration or retaliation… that’s just unrealistic. 

In this scenario there's a path you can take that has zero crazy homeless people on it. So, you missed the point. It's not "shaming" them by suggesting he should check himself and go walk that other path.

Calling it "shaming players for having emotions" is a mischaracterization and overdramatic

13 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

My position didn't change at all.  If there's anyone who should be ashamed it's you, a grown man (assumption), ranting and raving about a player as if he personally did something to you.

I know you are also a Lil' Dummy because you think I'm ranting and raving.    I'm LMFAO at you........and at the Bills version of Lil' Dummy. :lol: 

Football is just a form of entertainment........and life is a comedy to those who think........and a tragedy to those who are up in their feels,  always looking for something to be offended about,  like you. :beer:

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

In this scenario there's a path you can take that has zero crazy homeless people on it. So, you missed the point. It's not "shaming" them by suggesting he should check himself and go walk that other path.

Calling it "shaming players for having emotions" is a mischaracterization and overdramatic

If you had thousands of notifications on social media flooding your phone throughout the day, most of them telling you that "you suck", "you should lose your job" and to "kill yourself" over and over and over again... I feel like it would be kind of difficult to handle. 

Your suggestion that the player should avoid having a social media is fair, but why should they be stripped of that ability because others can't behave themselves? And why should they be expected to maintain their composure at all times when people are hurling comments at them repeatedly? It's not the nature of the comments, it's the frequency.

If you're going to fixate on the "shaming players for having emotions" then what would you call it?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I posted this in the other thread about Buffalo being tough to play in:

Is New Orleans tougher though?
All time home record in the Superdome: 189-176

Compare that to outdoor stadiums that are actually tough to play in:

Orchard Park: 223-160

Arrowhead: 238-156

Lambeau: 251-125

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/stadiums/index.htm

Domes are not as loud as people think and the perfect conditions/sterilized atmosphere they create actually provides less of a home field advantage.

Go to that link and review the home records in all those stadiums. Outdoor stadiums take the cake. 

Domes are good for stats. Outdoors are good for winning games.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know you are also a Lil' Dummy because you think I'm ranting and raving.    I'm LMFAO at you........and at the Bills version of Lil' Dummy. :lol: 

Football is just a form of entertainment........and life is a comedy to those who think........and a tragedy to those who are up in their feels,  always looking for something to be offended about,  like you. :beer:

I'm not offended, I just have more tact.  Have a great day though. 

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

If you had thousands of notifications on social media flooding your phone throughout the day, most of them telling you that "you suck", "you should lose your job" and to "kill yourself" over and over and over again... I feel like it would be kind of difficult to handle. 

Your suggestion that the player should avoid having a social media is fair, but why should they be stripped of that ability because others can't behave themselves? And why should they be expected to maintain their composure at all times when people are hurling comments at them repeatedly? It's not the nature of the comments, it's the frequency.

If you're going to fixate on the "shaming players for having emotions" then what would you call it?

I already told you what I'd characterize it as.

And as far as practical solutions go, you can just turn notifications off... You don't even have to delete the app.

Text Phone GIF by Life at Lower

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

No, just no. Cincy and KC do NOT play in bad, cold weather, full stop. They play in cold/chilly occasions (very) occasionally, while the Bills regularly play in precipitation fests with 20+ mph winds and very low windchill temps. The Bills play in hands down the worst conditions in the NFL because of the unique high winds, high precipitation levels, and cold, and it ain’t even close. Regardless of whether the Bills players like playing in these conditions or not, the conditions represent an inarguable home field advantage for the Bills (and when I say inarguable, I mean it). As tough as it might be for them, it’s almost always tougher for opponents not used to it. Outside of the NE game last year — a game the Bills probably should have pulled out at the end — they win virtually all of the rough weather home games. 

Bills dont play well in those extreme conditions either.  So whats your point?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.