Is Buffalo now considered the most intimidating/hardest stadium to play in for opponents?

Another Fan

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Difference between fans attending a game in flip flops and shorts versus and 300 lb football player effectively doing winds sprints loaded down with pound of gear.

Not to mention that one team cooks on the sideline while the other has 100% shade. Sorry, you can never convince me that is fair, and the league needs to address it. 

Speaking of Miami, I just heard on Maggie and Perloff (she’s a Bills fan) that the Dolphins took heaters for the game in LA last night. Good luck Saturday night in OP! I want more than a W this week! I want some revenge!  (But I’’ll settle for a win if that’s how if falls.) 

There are 2 of 8 games per year that weather confound another team. 25% of games. Bills at least are ready for it, not sure it helps bills much at all but they are mentally ready.

Each NFL dome I’ve been to is more tame vs OP. a very different vibe. Even Bills Ford Field…Strollers vs no tables  seen.

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so wouldn't that make Miami the worst weather stadium?

Rex Ryan said, after the Bills lost earlier in the year, that Miami had the single best stadium advantage for that reason.  Teams on the opposing sidelines face temps 30 degrees hotter, baking in the Miami sun.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Boomer Esianson has often commented on his morning WFAN Show here about how "Hostile" it was for him as a QB to go to Orchard Park as a visiting QB. Very loud, windy and often freezing.

Dan Marino said Buffalo was the hardest place to play for him on Inside the NFL years ago now.  I think back then we had the undisputed home field advantage.  We used to go 8-0 Home sometimes during the Super Bowl years.

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

As a big hard rock heavy metal fan, I couldn't agree more.  Concerts inside a domed facility provides nowhere near the level of energy from an outside concert, with the same band.  Have to assume its no different in football.  Never been to a domed game yet though

Domes are terrible for sound. Reverb.

"Back in the day", Memorial Stadium where the Colts used to play , Johnny Unitas era , was considered the loudest place , horse shoe shaped stadium and the closed in part was legendary for it.. Then, the same people , i believe one was Weeb Ewbank , former coach of the Colts, then the Jets, said Buffalo(WMS) rivaled Baltimore.. all 45, 000 of us.. lots had to do im thinking was the roof.. closeness to the field.. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Sound waves absolutely cancel eachother out, but I'm not sure outdoor stadiums are, by default, actually louder. It's just a harsh, loud feeling outside. But I think indoor stadiums have potential to be much louder.

The sound builds up inside a dome because the sound waves aren't escaping as fast, but I don't think it equals more decibels like people think. If you want to amplify sound, you have to focus it and give it somewhere to escape.

Saints fans are pretty good as fanbases go and there have been plenty of big games played there. It's never been measured as the loudest.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Because a stadium has been recorded as louder doesn't mean it is because of the dome versus open air,  could also be the fan base so yes Seattle is one of the loudest ever recorded.  Certain Stadiums like Seattle were acoustically designed to funnel the sounds and the fans are rabid (when they are good), have the 12th man mantra (the stole form Texas A&M) and try to live up to it.  Sounds is a wave and enclosing the sound makes it louder, simple physics.  Put a dome in Seattle and it will be louder.  

I'm not sure you really understand the "simple physics." You said open air stadiums can't even compete with domes for loudness, but the reality is that they do. Plenty of big games have been played in outdoors and domes alike, but outdoor stadiums have been measured as louder.

And it's exciting to think the new Bills stadium will be even louder.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I take it you don't get to many games then if you are trying to argue against it.

well, you said it might be zero bad weather games a year.  Maybe 1-3.  That's not an argument for it--not a strong one anyway.

The index provided is for whole months at a time.  

I have a really limited sample size to draw from, (I travel into Buffalo only once a year from Hawaii), but I was at the Bills vs Packers game, (Seated in the lower bowl - section 139 no less) on 30 October 2022, and during most of the game, you could almost hear a pin drop.  Fans around me were practically falling asleep and / or were not really into the game - shocking, to me any way.

I was the only one screaming my like hell when the Packers had the ball, most everyone else was just looking at me; not an intimidating environment to our opponent, (On that day, the Packers).  

Anyway, one game probably should not be considered what's normal at the stadium, but should'nt be ignored in the debate either.  Any thoughts as to why it was so quiet at that game?  

5 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I have a really limited sample size to draw from, (I travel into Buffalo only once a year from Hawaii), but I was at the Bills vs Packers game, (Seated in the lower bowl - section 139 no less) on 30 October 2022, and during most of the game, you could almost hear a pin drop.  Fans around me were practically falling asleep and / or were not really into the game - shocking, to me any way.

I was the only one screaming my like hell when the Packers had the ball, most everyone else was just looking at me; not an intimidating environment to our opponent, (On that day, the Packers).  

Anyway, one game probably should not be considered what's normal at the stadium, but should'nt be ignored in the debate either.  Any thoughts as to why it was so quiet at that game?  

Bonus points to you for traveling such a distance for a Bills game. I once had to travel from Guam so I can relate to the challenge.

Sadly, the silent fans around you were too drunk to participate at a loud level.

A big part of the why the Bills of the early '90's were so great at home was because of the O-Line and having Thurman Thomas (and Kenny D). When the weather was good, we could air it out. When it was bad we could run it down their throat. For whatever reason, the O-line has not been a priority compared to defense. And it shows when the going gets tough. Of course the fans bring the noise, and make it generally uncomfortable every game.

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Well especially this time of year?

While not a perfect performance yesterdays game reminded me a little of watching early 90s home games as a kid.  I’d have to look it up but I thought the team was 8-0 at home most of the Super Bowl years.  Opponents have to face the cold and possibly rainy weather without sunlight like yesterday, the loud fanbase, and a real nasty defense.  Btw I thought all the hits on White were clean.  While still knowing they’ll have to play their A game to have a chance to win.  

Even from a non homer perspective now I wouldn’t want any part of playing in Buffalo as an opponent.  While my thread was based off nostalgia for watching childhood games….  it shows as well though how important having the number 1 seed would be 

I say this with absolutely zero homerism here, those hits on white were perfectly legal, perfectly timed, and perfect form.  The reason I can say it so easily?  Those hits were so vicious, had they even been REMOTELY questionable, the refs would've quickly thrown the flag.  In a league where you can barely breathe on a QB nowadays, they are overly protected and coddled.  Those hits were just flat out perfect.  The refs had no choice but to leave the flags in their pockets.  I swear on that Milano hit I think I spit up a little bit of blood for him lol.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills at least have a chance to throw in that weather. Most other teams don't. They're automatically one-dimensional. 

Like the New England game last year when they should’ve been throwing it right off the bat, but chose to only try it in the final minutes and it actually worked. 

1 hour ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Domes present noise issues.  KC and (Domed) New Orleans are tougher.

Is New Orleans tougher though?

All time home record in the Superdome: 189-176

Compare that to outdoor stadiums that are actually tough to play in:

Orchard Park: 223-160

Arrowhead: 238-156

Lambeau: 251-125

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/stadiums/index.htm

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Outdoor stadiums are known to be the loudest. Not domes. I think it's due to the reverberation in the dome causing some noise to cancel itself out. I'm no expert, though.

Air conditions actively affect sound waves. Colder air makes sound travel further but slower (resting state of atoms). Sound waves actually bend away from heat and back towards the ground -field- which benefits the home team. Humidity by contrast makes sound travel faster due to increased density from microscopic water droplets. WNY weather has an interesting combination where the cold lengthens the wave -distance- of sound while the lake effect humidity can speed up the travel while the heat dissipation from fans makes sound waves amplify around the field itself. Seattle benefits from that combination as well due to the North Pacific weather.

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Probably...I will say even though the fans might make the most noise, it is not the loudest place but that is due to how it is made with the seats going out at a lower upward slope than other stadiums and obviously not being in a dome.  The loudest place I ever was was the Houston playoff game, when they were coming back and made some big plays that place was insane due to its design.

Sure they weren't piping noise in? They do it in domes...

I think in the modern NFL where teams don't practice as often during the season, have fancy indoor practice facilities and are generally weenies, game-time weather conditions aren't the advantage they used to be. Crowd noise on the other hand, can be.

I hate to say it, I really do ha ha, but fans make more noise in Seattle and KC. Still, few teams like to play in Winter weather - and that likely includes many Bills player ha ha, but at least they are used to it.

Now let's ice the Fins' bench and turn up the AC in their locker room., for what they did to the Bills earlier.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.