Is Buffalo now considered the most intimidating/hardest stadium to play in for opponents?

Another Fan

Well especially this time of year?

While not a perfect performance yesterdays game reminded me a little of watching early 90s home games as a kid.  I’d have to look it up but I thought the team was 8-0 at home most of the Super Bowl years.  Opponents have to face the cold and possibly rainy weather without sunlight like yesterday, the loud fanbase, and a real nasty defense.  Btw I thought all the hits on White were clean.  While still knowing they’ll have to play their A game to have a chance to win.  

Even from a non homer perspective now I wouldn’t want any part of playing in Buffalo as an opponent.  While my thread was based off nostalgia for watching childhood games….  it shows as well though how important having the number 1 seed would be 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

While not a perfect performance yesterdays game reminded me a little of watching early 90s home games as a kid.  I’d have to look it up but I thought the team was 8-0 at home most of the Super Bowl years.  Opponents have to face the cold and possibly rainy weather without sunlight like yesterday, the loud fanbase, and a real nasty defense.  Btw I thought all the hits on White were clean.  While still knowing they’ll have to play their A game to have a chance to win.  

Even from a non homer perspective now I wouldn’t want any part of playing in Buffalo as an opponent.  While my thread was based off nostalgia for watching childhood games….  it shows as well though how important having the number 1 seed would be 

Don't see why it would be. That would mean it would have to be an advantage for us to play in this weather.  Our offense and that weather are not a great combination.

I believe the new stadium will be louder with how it's designed, which should definitely work in our favor.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Bills by far have the hardest conditions to play in, especially as it gets to playoff time.  Weather Channel broke down the worst weather stadiums in the NFL and Buffalo won in a landslide...and that didn't even include the notorious swirling winds at one end of the stadium caused by only a single tunnel entrance, just the conditions themselves.

Edited by Big Turk

Probably...I will say even though the fans might make the most noise, it is not the loudest place but that is due to how it is made with the seats going out at a lower upward slope than other stadiums and obviously not being in a dome.  The loudest place I ever was was the Houston playoff game, when they were coming back and made some big plays that place was insane due to its design.

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Don't see why it would be. That would mean it would have to be an advantage for us to play in this weather.  Our offense and that weather are not a great combination.

Neither is any other offense in that weather. I'll take Josh Allen and the Bills offense over any other, in any type of weather.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Probably...I will say even though the fans might make the most noise, it is not the loudest place but that is due to how it is made with the seats going out at a lower upward slope than other stadiums and obviously not being in a dome.  The loudest place I ever was was the Houston playoff game, when they were coming back and made some big plays that place was insane due to its design.

Outdoor stadiums are known to be the loudest. Not domes. I think it's due to the reverberation in the dome causing some noise to cancel itself out. I'm no expert, though.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

Saw a part in a sports show the other day, not sure which one. They had people vote and Buffalo was not on the list, KC was.  So to answer your question basing it off a poll, the only way we have a non biased opinion evidence of this, the answer is No

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Vomit 1

50 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I agree.  I was at the game and even though there were a LOT of Bills fans it was so loud it hurt my ears.    It is a massive difference with the roof closed and an open air stadium.  An open air stadium cant compete with a dome.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

It wasn’t that easy for our offense to play in either.  One of our players on Twitter using weather as excuses for dropping passes even.  

With us not being great at running the ball in these bad weather games, it makes me remain skeptical just how much of an “advantage” it really is for this offense to be at home in bad weather.  

Don’t get me wrong, the fans are amazing and stadium is amazing environment.  But as much as we say it’s an advantage, end of the day bad weather is not a friend to what this offense does best either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree.  I was at the game and even though there were a LOT of Bills fans it was so loud it hurt my ears.    It is a massive difference with the roof closed and an open air stadium.  An open air stadium cant compete with a dome.

Except they do. Decibel levels have been measured. I think it's the reverb effect you get in your ears. Crisp sound vs muddled sound.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It wasn’t that easy for our offense to play in either.  One of our players on Twitter using weather as excuses for dropping passes even.  

With us not being great at running the ball in these bad weather games, it makes me remain skeptical just how much of an “advantage” it really is for this offense to be at home in bad weather.  

Don’t get me wrong, the fans are amazing and stadium is amazing environment.  But as much as we say it’s an advantage, end of the day bad weather is not a friend to what this offense does best either.  

The Bills at least have a chance to throw in that weather. Most other teams don't. They're automatically one-dimensional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Except they do. Decibel levels have been measured. I think it's the reverb effect you get in your ears. Crisp sound vs muddled sound.

Because a stadium has been recorded as louder doesn't mean it is because of the dome versus open air,  could also be the fan base so yes Seattle is one of the loudest ever recorded.  Certain Stadiums like Seattle were acoustically designed to funnel the sounds and the fans are rabid (when they are good), have the 12th man mantra (the stole form Texas A&M) and try to live up to it.  Sounds is a wave and enclosing the sound makes it louder, simple physics.  Put a dome in Seattle and it will be louder.  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I see varying accounts online.   The design of the structure, with a dome or partial covering matters.  According to the link below the sound reflecting in Seattle is the reason theirs is the loudest, while not a dome, it has a ceiling in the ideal locations.  THere are lots of factors that are not apples to apples such as how much the fans get into making noise, that is different with different fan bases.

https://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/09/17/the-science-of-sound-how-seattle-got-so-darn-loud/

Edited by Matt_In_NH

That is all fine until you don’t have the Buffalo weather for the Super Bowl so what is the point? We have done this before so some Buffalo Bills fans thinking it is great to try to stack the odds in Buffalo Bills favor for a Super Bowl championship that is shortsighted as the Buffalo Sabres tanking with some Buffalo Sabres fans buying in what the Sabres organization was going to cheat the game to win a Stanley Cup championship ridiculous. You can’t cheat the game you need to play well at the end of the day to win a championship in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Bills by far have the hardest conditions to play in, especially as it gets to playoff time.  Weather Channel broke down the worst weather stadiums in the NFL and Buffalo won in a landslide...and that didn't even include the notorious swirling winds at one end of the stadium caused by only a single tunnel entrance, just the conditions themselves.

I read in countless threads for weeks right here that it was Miami....

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how many severe weather games are there in Buffalo in Oct/Nov/December?

Quite a few...wind more than anything is a pretty much constant issue. WNY is one of the windiest places in the country and the windiest place in the month of January on average.

Buffalo with a 77.4 score, 2nd was GB at 65.6...not even close. Miami was 6th at 56.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-12-nfl-worst-weather-cities

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills at least have a chance to throw in that weather. Most other teams don't. They're automatically one-dimensional. 

I get what you are saying, but it also is one of those blanket statements that lack context.  In the playoffs, our biggest threats right now are easily KC and Cincy.  Both play in bad weather and both throw as well as us in bad weather.  And honestly, based on what I have seen, I would say they have shown to be a little better at passing in bad weather than us.  They both have QB's who can both throw and scramble in bad weather and a deeper roster of more sure handed pass catchers while we lead the league in drops.  

I mean our 3rd WR is on twitter blaming wet balls for dropping 3 passes this week.  So yes, do we have an advantage over some teams, sure, but not the ones who will be facing in the playoffs.  It is at best a wash against those who pose the biggest threat to a SB birth in the playoffs this year.  

Don't get me wrong, love love love the fan base and its energy being there behind this team.  But I am skeptical that the bad weather will actually help this team against someone like KC and Cincy given they are fully capable of everything we can do in terms of passing in bad weather.  If we can establish a consistent and effective run game, I would be less concerned.  

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yet the two loudest stadiums are open air: https://sportsbrief.com/facts/top-listicles/19096-which-loudest-stadium-nfl-moment-2022/

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is what I noticed at the Bills/Browns game.  Domes are comfortable and that was great.

However, it's too comfortable where you're feeling laid back and the energy wasn't there.  I've seen the Bills now probably 10 games in my life and 4 of them were in a dome.  Open air just seems to breed energy.

I was a dome guy before this last Browns game.  I have been at the Ralph with sold out crowds and not sold out crowds....it gets loud.

Every dome Bills game I've been to, not loud.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not really...wind is an issue most games during that timeframe.

I know it gets windy but what would you categorize as severe?  For me, severe wind happens about once every 3 years?  

This new stadium is supposed to combat that.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is what I noticed at the Bills/Browns game.  Domes are comfortable and that was great.

However, it's too comfortable where you're feeling laid back and the energy wasn't there.  I've seen the Bills now probably 10 games in my life and 4 of them were in a dome.  Open air just seems to breed energy.

I was a dome guy before this last Browns game.  I have been at the Ralph with sold out crowds and not sold out crowds....it gets loud.

I know it gets windy but what would you categorize as severe?  For me, severe wind happens about once every 3 years?  

I'm a never dome guy for the same reason. I've never been to an indoor sporting event - hockey included - where the intensity matched that of an outdoor football game. I feel like that shows up on the field too.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Severe...probably once a year honestly.  There is at least one game a year where the winds make passing really difficult to the point you have to only throw downfield with the wind and FG kicking is impacted forcing teams to go for it because they can't kick into the wind.  It might not meet the level of severe in terms of the Patriot game last year, but in terms of its impacts on the game, it's at least once a year, which I think qualifies as severe in terms of a football game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

As a big hard rock heavy metal fan, I couldn't agree more.  Concerts inside a domed facility provides nowhere near the level of energy from an outside concert, with the same band.  Have to assume its no different in football.  Never been to a domed game yet though

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Outdoor stadiums are known to be the loudest. Not domes. I think it's due to the reverberation in the dome causing some noise to cancel itself out. I'm no expert, though.

Sound waves absolutely cancel eachother out, but I'm not sure outdoor stadiums are, by default, actually louder. It's just a harsh, loud feeling outside. But I think indoor stadiums have potential to be much louder.

31 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Difference between fans attending a game in flip flops and shorts versus and 300 lb football player effectively doing winds sprints loaded down with pound of gear.

we aren't talking about fans in attendance though

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Quite a few...wind more than anything is a pretty much constant issue. WNY is one of the windiest places in the country and the windiest place in the month of January on average.

Buffalo with a 77.4 score, 2nd was GB at 65.6...not even close. Miami was 6th at 56.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-12-nfl-worst-weather-cities

That index wasn't based on the actual game dates, but all days in the time period.  

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

probably 0-3 every year

exactly...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

we aren't talking about fans in attendance though

That index wasn't based on the actual game dates, but all days in the time period.  

exactly...

I take it you don't get to many games then if you are trying to argue against it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.