Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

34 years old coming ACL. We can’t cut him for 2 more seasons. This one is going to hurt. $18 million next year, $21 million the following year. Yikes. That’s a lot of cap space that we can’t do anything about.

This was the absolute worst case scenario with Von Miller signing.

Worst case scenario would be doing what most teams do and trading away picks for the right to pay a player like Von Miller. 

That’s when you get in trouble.  

It’s not ideal, but I’m not overly concerned because he will be back next year, I’m certainly not betting against Von and we have our full compliment of picks to continue building this team.  

We signed him for his play on the field and his mentality for our culture.  Let’s hope the latter still translates and he can help coach up the young guys who will need to pick up their game this postseason.   

The amount of disdain shown for players and coaches is really disheartening.

Not concerns.

Not disappointment.

Not thoughtful criticism.

Not common sense discourse.

Disdain.

Seems like a lot of people here decide early on who they are going to despise forever, and just keep pounding that pulpit until it turns to dust.

17 hours ago, WideNine said:

Milano is good, but I don't think he is good enough to hang with Kelce w/o help.

Kelce is a special talent. He runs routes as crisply as any receiver yet has that strength, size, and height to outmuscle DBs and safeties for contested balls. He has a better catching radius and softer hands than Knox and has also mastered that little shove or pushoff in and out of his breaks to create enough separation to be a consistent target.

Also, for reasons I cannot fathom, defenses lose track of him - especially down in the red zone. It is like he is coated in radar-absorbing material.

You cannot let him get off the line cleanly or he will just run by folks, find the soft areas in your zone schemes on schedule where Mahomes will hit him. You have to jam him and disrupt the timing and the route first and foremost. Then do your best bracketing him in coverage and making him earn every catch. Take your flags and your lumps along the way, but probably worth it down the stretch in a game just to keep him and Mahomes off their game.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I think Milano is a fantastic football player. But I agree that Kelce has been a huge problem for us. Not sure if it’s scheme or player.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

With Von gone the whole Dline is going to have to step it up, that includes AJ. It doesn't matter if his role changes or not. Your rationale is invalid. 

Bills have no one to "step up." It's not like Epenesa and Basham are suddenly going to become consistently useful players. The onus lies with the coaches as this will be a collective, schematic effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Augie said:

As I understand it, it was a partial tear. Beane said something about it wouldn’t last. Unfortunately, sewing it back up isn’t an option. You don’t fix it, you replace it. We’ve had a bit of experience with this, but I’d love to hear from someone (knowledgeable 😋) if that’s incorrect. 

That's correct. ACLs do not heal themselves, nor do they heal when sutured back together. There's just not enough blood flow to the ligament. If an ACL is torn at all, it's usually torn enough that it should be replaced, because it's going to cause instability until it finally fails, and there is a high risk of collateral damage to other knee parts when that happens. I once had a partial tear, rehabbed it for four months hoping to avoid surgery, then it blew out. Wasted four months!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well I'm glad HE is in a good headspace. He has 2 Super Bowl rings and is still making millions of dollars. I, on the other hand... NOT DOING SO WELL HERE!

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

That's correct. ACLs do not heal themselves, nor do they heal when sutured back together. There's just not enough blood flow to the ligament. If an ACL is torn at all, it's usually torn enough that it should be replaced, because it's going to cause instability until it finally fails, and there is a high risk of collateral damage to other knee parts when that happens. I once had a partial tear, rehabbed it for four months hoping to avoid surgery, then it blew out. Wasted four months!

Which is what makes this story even more crazy. His ENTIRE PRO CAREER!

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2018/07/buffalo_bills_hof_rb_thurman_thomas_played_entire_career_with_partially_torn_acl.html

On 12/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, HappyDays said:

To be honest Miller is probably best served to keep quiet at this point.

He also said he'd be back this week after the lions game, the Bengals game after 4 week IR, etc.

Let's also not forget this OBJ circus and promises he's coming here.

• Eyeroll 2

On 12/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, msw2112 said:

Forgive me for being naive, but isn't an injury settlement only done in situations where a player is being released (and typically on a 1-year deal, or in the last year of a deal)?  And also fogive me if there is sarcasm above that I am missing.  I don't think it's something typically used with star players.

That is correct. Someone else’s misunderstanding is the issue. Injury settlements were generally used with the kinds of players you mention. After being placed on IR and getting healthy enough to play they would agree to give up some of their salary for the season so they could become a free agent. This was because they could not be reactivated from IR by their team. The new rules that allow some players to return from IR will likely make injury settlements a lot less common. There is no reason someone like Von Miller, who has a lot of guaranteed future money in his contract, would give up any of that money by agreeing to an injury settlement. 

On 12/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, Airseven said:

Bills have no one to "step up." It's not like Epenesa and Basham are suddenly going to become consistently useful players. The onus lies with the coaches as this will be a collective, schematic effort.

The player that needs to step up is Greg Rousseau, who has really been coming on this year

13 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

To be honest Miller is probably best served to keep quiet at this point.

He also said he'd be back this week after the lions game, the Bengals game after 4 week IR, etc.

Let's also not forget this OBJ circus and promises he's coming here.

Another horrible post
The ACL tear was found in exploratory surgery. That means that Von Miller didn’t know about it whenever he said that he was gonna be back.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.