[Name Only Title] Ed Oliver

ToBillsFan

Oliver was really good against Green Bay, at least in terms of noticeable plays, but he was a joke yesterday. 

I'd honestly consider moving him this offseason for a pick.  At some point we should consider getting ahead of some of these expiring deals and flip them for picks.  

I'm open to having my mind changed on Ed, but unless he follows Quinnen's lead and makes the jump into the Tier 2 of DT's behind Donald, I'm out on Oliver for next year.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was excellent last year and excellent week 1 at the Rams. Hasn't looked the same player yet since his injury and he was poor yesterday. I say that as a big fan of him as a player. 

Players who play thru nagging injuries often get criticized for their performances. If Oliver’s performance is due to the nagging ankle injury it is worrisome that the bye week didn’t help more. I’d hate to see it linger all year. If it’s not, then that’s a bigger worry. The good news is that Beane and the coaches know which it is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think there could be some thoughtful discussion on the effects that a platoon/rotation have on DL effectiveness. In other words, yes, you may be reducing the amount of wear and tear by rotating guys and keeping them fresh, while also in theory improving the energy they can exert on their downs.

On the other hand, maybe the lack of flow in the game causes them to check out and not be as alert throughout the course of the contest.

Oliver was consistently in the 60-70% snap count in 2021. After an early injury, they ramped him up to a season-high 63% vs KC. But the last two weeks he's been under 50%. And Jordan Phillips has moved up above the 50% mark along with DaQuan.

So whether that's managing his snaps for fatigue, or whether he's just underperforming, the numbers show he's not out there as much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Meh. 

It’s said all the time DTs in this system don’t get numbers, they just chew up blocks. Sometimes it looks like they don’t even attempt a tackle, they literally just chew up a blocker. 

His stats suggest he definitely isn’t make any impact plays. I’m just not sure if it’s an Ed Oliver thing, but I have a hard time believing MLB and DT just isn’t ‘impact positions’ in our defense. 

24 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I think there could be some thoughtful discussion on the effects that a platoon/rotation have on DL effectiveness. In other words, yes, you may be reducing the amount of wear and tear by rotating guys and keeping them fresh, while also in theory improving the energy they can exert on their downs.

On the other hand, maybe the lack of flow in the game causes them to check out and not be as alert throughout the course of the contest.

Oliver was consistently in the 60-70% snap count in 2021. After an early injury, they ramped him up to a season-high 63% vs KC. But the last two weeks he's been under 50%. And Jordan Phillips has moved up above the 50% mark along with DaQuan.

So whether that's managing his snaps for fatigue, or whether he's just underperforming, the numbers show he's not out there as much.

Oliver was under 60% snap count last year.

You don’t pay a part-time player big money. Especially one that isn’t a star

7 minutes ago, colin said:

oliver is a good player, but not a great one.

he's our 3rd best lineman after von (obv) and then groot.

Right now I am not sure he is the 2nd best Dlineman.   Jordan Phillips has outplayed him this year.

10 million dollar salary next year, going to be a pretty hefty expense for what he brings to the table.

27 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm in favor of resigning him.  I picked him as the difference maker yesterday, and he was, in a disastrously negative way.  I hope the Bills resign him in the off season.

This is a confusing statement to make

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.