[Name Only Title] Ed Oliver

ToBillsFan

On 11/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, HOUSE said:

He likes horses and lives in East Aurora....he stays

(Private joke )

I got one.

A drill sergeant grumbles at his fresh young trainee, “I didn’t see you at camouflage training this morning, Private.”

“Thank you very much, Sir,” replies the soldier.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I say again:

Most overrated player on the team.

At what point do you look at coaching for the lack of sack production on this team? Especially since Jerry Hughes (who I also personally thought was finished in this league) is putting up numbers in Houston.

If this team does fall short of lofty expectations once again this year after last offsesaon's defensive line overhaul it's clearly time to part ways with the likes of Frazier and Washington. Either that or Beane is publicly admitting his repeated failures.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, FilthyBeast said:

At what point do you look at coaching for the lack of sack production on this team? Especially since Jerry Hughes (who I also personally thought was finished in this league) is putting up numbers in Houston.

If this team does fall short of lofty expectations once again this year after last offsesaon's defensive line overhaul it's clearly time to part ways with the likes of Frazier and Washington. Either that or Beane is publicly admitting his repeated failures.

They want Frazier to get hired as a Head Coach to get the draft pick compensation. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand why people think DT get astronomical sack numbers. Ed will get some looks every once in a while where he's single blocked, but he's often going to get chipped by a RB in the pass game. Oliver gets great penetration, but the downfall with that is you lead to a secondary block. The benefit of that is you take that running back out of the play. I understand stand people expect 10+ sack seasons cause he was drafted at 9. That is absurd, if he's constantly in the 6-8 range as a DT and gets his share of TFLs we are winning with him.

Secondly, I do believe he has a high ankle sprain.. that's what he got dinged up with? I'm 3 months out from a high ankle sprain and I still don't have full strength/weight bearing ability. Granted he's an athlete with a world class rehab team, but they always tell people the high ankle sprains last and linger all season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

People talking about how oliver was slighted with pro bowl announcements. puuuhhhleaase

How did we draft a 6' undersized player from a mid major over , the guys after. SIMMONS, wilkins, lawrence, burns..... all massive 6 4 from schools like clemson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft#Supplemental_draft

its a big whiff IMO. drafting 9th overall. you have to get a better player than what oliver is. 

1.5 sacks this year. needed a dareus 10 sack performance. not gonna get it im afraid

On 11/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, Monty98 said:

I don't understand why people think DT get astronomical sack numbers. Ed will get some looks every once in a while where he's single blocked, but he's often going to get chipped by a RB in the pass game. Oliver gets great penetration, but the downfall with that is you lead to a secondary block. The benefit of that is you take that running back out of the play. I understand stand people expect 10+ sack seasons cause he was drafted at 9. That is absurd, if he's constantly in the 6-8 range as a DT and gets his share of TFLs we are winning with him.

Secondly, I do believe he has a high ankle sprain.. that's what he got dinged up with? I'm 3 months out from a high ankle sprain and I still don't have full strength/weight bearing ability. Granted he's an athlete with a world class rehab team, but they always tell people the high ankle sprains last and linger all season

he doestnt get 6-8!

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

People talking about how oliver was slighted with pro bowl announcements. puuuhhhleaase

How did we draft a 6' undersized player from a mid major over , the guys after. SIMMONS, wilkins, lawrence, burns..... all massive 6 4 from schools like clemson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft#Supplemental_draft

its a big whiff IMO. drafting 9th overall. you have to get a better player than what oliver is. 

1.5 sacks this year. needed a dareus 10 sack performance. not gonna get it im afraid

he doestnt get 6-8!

Simmons was a guy I liked going into that draft but he got hurt late in his senior season so there was question about his ability to return. I was happy with Ed but the truth is his numbers don't warrant a top 10 pick and while love him back I don't think he deserves top dollar but someone likely will give it to him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Simmons was a guy I liked going into that draft but he got hurt late in his senior season so there was question about his ability to return. I was happy with Ed but the truth is his numbers don't warrant a top 10 pick and while love him back I don't think he deserves top dollar but someone likely will give it to him. 

mostly there with you. its definitely retrospective. but thats what i love doin surrounding team building and draft picks. only to evaluate is after the fact. 

Just now, Ramza86 said:

#freezingcoldtakes

its needed for the ridiculous hot takes / oliver got snubbed from pro bowl

The Edmunds thread has made debating the play of certain players super vague, generalized, and--by the standards of this board-- indefensible. Here's the go to that we can apply to any player:

It's the plays he takes away that you don't see that makes him valuable. 

His size is an asset. 

He only does what the coaches ask of him. 

He's a leader. 

He would not be easily replaced. 

He could go to any other team to get paid and we're lucky to have him.

By the laws of the Edmunds thread, this argument is over and I win. Anyone who has specific examples is just a hater and likes to lose somehow. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think he must have a lingering injury. He was a monster the 2nd half of last year so not sure what happened there...

He has also been a monster this year, right up to the point where he got injured

you don’t measure a defensive tackles, production in sacks, and Oliver is more of a disruptor

having said that thinking that Oliver should make the pro bowl is silly because he has been inconsistent due to his injuries

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, balln said:

mostly there with you. its definitely retrospective. but thats what i love doin surrounding team building and draft picks. only to evaluate is after the fact. 

its needed for the ridiculous hot takes / oliver got snubbed from pro bowl

Are there really that many people saying he got snubbed?  I haven’t seen anyone say that.  

Ed is 4th alternate-  the real snub is Daquan.  He should’ve been 1st or 2nd alternate based on his play 

the worst alternate-  Saffold being 2nd alternate  🤮  maybe 2nd to last alternate

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Are there really that many people saying he got snubbed?  I haven’t seen anyone say that.  

Ed is 4th alternate-  the real snub is Daquan.  He should’ve been 1st or 2nd alternate based on his play 

the worst alternate-  Saffold being 2nd alternate  🤮  maybe 2nd to last alternate

I think that's one of those Ben Franklin "let a man once develop a reputation for being an early riser, and he may sleep until noon" things

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I think that's one of those Ben Franklin "let a man once develop a reputation for being an early riser, and he may sleep until noon" things

Yeah, like Ruben Brown collecting pro bowl after pro bowl because of his name . He wasn’t as bad as Saffold this year, but I don’t think he deserved a couple of those pro bowls at the end. 

• Agree 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, ArtVandalay said:

We had the #1 defense in the NFL. Coaching blew the Chiefs game, don't kid yourself. 

That #1 ranking was a mirage. We played a bunch of bad teams & offenses. The opposing QB list, at that time, was riddled bad young QBs and bad old QBs. The list of bad QBs faced last year:

Jones - twice 

Wilson & White - once each

Tua - twice

Mills

Heinicke

Siemian

Ryan

Wentz

Newton

Lawrence 

Roethlisberger 

Average QB faced:

Tannehill

Good QBs faced:

Mahomes

Brady

9 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

That #1 ranking was a mirage. We played a bunch of bad teams & offenses. The opposing QB list, at that time, was riddled bad young QBs and bad old QBs. The list of bad QBs faced last year:

Jones - twice 

Wilson & White - once each

Tua - twice

Mills

Heinicke

Siemian

Ryan

Wentz

Newton

Lawrence 

Roethlisberger 

Average QB faced:

Tannehill

Good QBs faced:

Mahomes

Brady

You’re right, it was a mirage….

but coaching lost that game.  There is no doubt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.