Ken Dorsey is really really good

78thealltimegreat

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

I appreciate your POV but me, personally, I don't give a flying f*** about meltdowns if the man is producing. Many great ones have been angry during losses. 

I'll take that over composure and losing. Dick Jauron was a master at being calm.

I remember watching a fly die on the lig of Bud Grant while he was coaching on the sideline one game. 

I have ZERO issue with Dorsey's post game booth meltdown. And as long as he is successful at his job, I doubt many others will, either. 

Now if he implodes, that that is front and center of every report/story. But so far, a failure as an OC doesn't seen to likely at this point. 

I'm also a bit worried he will get poached. But I think/hope we have a few good years before that happens. I have no idea if he will be a good HC, but I'm guessing he will get another opportunity if he keeps up his current success rate. 

And the little criticisms of his play call here or sequence there won't impact his ascent one iota, IMO.  Every OC makes a questionable play call, or two. So far, it looks like Dorsey is learning as he moves forward with this offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I think he will be better than Daboll when it’s said and done.

To be fair, Daboll is elite at the interpersonal component of coaching. He values the human element of the game more than some, without being a pushover. Which when combined with game-planning acumen and overall aptitude, sounds like the makeup of a solid head coach. 

I don't know enough about Dorsey, beyond his demonstrable and oft-cited competitiveness, to have an opinion on his capacity for being the head guy. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

1P7g.gif

won't hurt him at all 🙄

again, not the end of the world or a noteworthy disqualifier but it was a bit more than the McD gif, and if someone’s on the fence about him it may tip the scale slightly in the short term. I think most owners like some passion but also don’t like the idea of their HC on full tilt. He will be able to bury that memory if he performs well enough though 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

again, not the end of the world or a noteworthy disqualifier but it was a bit more than the McD gif, and if someone’s on the fence about him it may tip the scale slightly in the short term. I think most owners like some passion but also don’t like the idea of their HC on full tilt. He will be able to bury that memory if he performs well enough though 

he's better than both the coaches tonight, hell almost of u son the board would be better than these 2 dolts....

FWIW, He isn't getting a HC job this year, needs a couple more years IMO

Edited by Reed83HOF

From the Ringer:

Buffalo can go light with three and even four receivers on the field at once. They can put multiple backs in the backfield or multiple tight ends on the line of scrimmage. They can line up under center or in the gun. They can dial up old-school, downhill-run plays, or call more modern option plays designed around the QB. Allen has become a surgeon on underneath stuff, but he’s still throwing rockets to the deep and intermediate parts of the field. And he’s as comfortable throwing to the middle of the field as he is outside the numbers.

This offense can do anything at any time, and it does it all at a high level. This isn’t just the best offense in the NFL today. It’s one of the most comprehensive attacks this league has ever seen.

5 Takeaways from The Bills Win

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I haven't been happy with our RB usage, Singletary should play more and we saw why yesterday.  Also, no creativity in the redzone or short yardage, Daboll seemed to often catch the defense off guard for big plays. He's still learning, but I was happy he stuck with Singletary much of the Chiefs game.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Outside of that stupid option call early in the game it was a very well called game for the most part. Dorsey has stepped up well in the absence of Daboll. 

That was a screen play to the L

The shovel pass to the R after a L to R sweep motion was NOT in the play Dorsey drew up as an option

Bank on it.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

1P7g.gif

won't hurt him at all 🙄

Oh, My.  Where did you find that?

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Our TD percentage is better outside of the red zone than in the red zone. That’s my only complaint so far.

The problem is we don't have great personnel to score in the red zone. Our OL isn't good enough to dominate defenses in compressed areas and our RBs aren't fast enough to maximize the small windows of opportunity that exist. I'd like to see us get Knox more involved. Outside of Allen he is our best red zone weapon. Other than that we need to either trade for McCaffrey or hope that James Cook develops because Singletary and Moss never find their way into the endzone.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has a long way to go before he’s a HC

his resume is small and he was fired as a QB coach in 18

he has josh Allen

and I do think he’s been really good but it’s wayyyy too quick to say he’s gonna be a HC soon

It doesn't take much anymore in the NFL if you are considered a bright offensive mind to get hired as HC.  Everyone wants to "keep up with the Jones'" so to speak offensively.

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I appreciate your POV but me, personally, I don't give a flying f*** about meltdowns if the man is producing. Many great ones have been angry during losses. 

I'll take that over composure and losing. Dick Jauron was a master at being calm.

It’s hard to win in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, akcash said:

I was thinking of making the same thread. You watch Denver and appreciate what we have. 

Speaking of that he could be the Broncos head coach next year.

I think Denver will think twice about hiring another hot shot OC who had an All World QB in his previous stint to work with. 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We actually had a QB sneak sighting last game! I was so proud.

They added a wrinkle in the new QB sneak play. 

Gabe Davis pushing Josh ahead while in motion is actually a great idea considering their ineptitude lately on 3rd/4th and 1 situations.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That was a screen play to the L

The shovel pass to the R after a L to R sweep motion was NOT in the play Dorsey drew up as an option

Bank on it.

Hmm. Interesting. Originally I thought that was an improv by Allen too just from how not prepared McKenzie was. It was like a total shock to him. The more I have watched it the more I have felt maybe it was designed as an option pitch play the type Anthony Lynn used to use a lot for Tyrod and Shady. I will watch again later looking for screen left keys.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Exactly. There is banging a fist or even throwing an ipad.... and then there is a full scale meltdown where you demolish a booth. The number of people who don't think that was a bad look worry me. Like how do these folks react when things don't go their way in life?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has a long way to go before he’s a HC

his resume is small and he was fired as a QB coach in 18

he has josh Allen

and I do think he’s been really good but it’s wayyyy too quick to say he’s gonna be a HC soon

He will be a head coach within the next 2 years. COULD BE NEXT YEAR 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. There is banging a fist or even throwing an ipad.... and then there is a full scale meltdown where you demolish a booth. The number of people who don't think that was a bad look worry me. Like how do these folks react when things don't go their way in life?

Apparently you have not had a chance yet to watch "All or Nothing: Arsenal" yet. 😀

Mikel Arteta and Ken Dorsey (and many people in sports) have the same reaction after losses. Ken and Mikel both have the same passion. We (Arsenal and the Bills) are "top of the table," and I am very happy that Arsenal stuck with Mikel and the Bills chose Dorsey to be the OC.

I have not heard one player criticize the way Dorsey reacted. Instead, all of the players have been very positive and complimentary of his passion (particularly Josh).

Everyone who has ever been in a locker room has seen reactions like Dorsey's. Everyone. If an owner decides that Dorsey has the ability to be a HC, the video of him after the Dolphin game is not going to hurt him.  

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

To be fair, Daboll is elite at the interpersonal component of coaching. He values the human element of the game more than some, without being a pushover. Which when combined with game-planning acumen and overall aptitude, sounds like the makeup of a solid head coach. 

I don't know enough about Dorsey, beyond his demonstrable and oft-cited competitiveness, to have an opinion on his capacity for being the head guy. 

I was talking specifically as an offensive coordinator…Daboll could very well end up being a much better head coach but not as good as an offensive coordinator. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.