Panthers fire HC Matt Rhule

Draconator

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't think Baker is the sharpest crayon in the shed but a petard? I think you've gone a bit far and I'm not totally comfortable with you using that term.

This is sarcasm right?

Never go full petard

Beck may use way too many quotation marks, but this is a reference to blowing oneself up with their own bomb and not a slight to the mentally challenged

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

7 years was too long a contract anyway.

The reason they gave him that contract was because they thought they needed to do it to outbid the NYG, who he was rumored to be going to.  Word leaked out about the Carolina deal & the Giants turned to Joe Judge.  It turned out to be lose, lose for both teams.   

in fairness, he wasn't given much to work with.  A carousel of mediocre (at best) QBs.  

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Can't say you didn't see this one coming. He's not built for the NFL. He'll go right back to a college gig after a year or so off. 

nothing wrong with that.  Some people are better college coaches, some better NFL coaches, some better coordinators, HCs, etc.  I think he'll be back as a top college coach soon.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

they moved now to get the guy off their pocketbooks and now have a plan to finish the season. they already have a list and hoping to get a defensive target but i haven't heard a name.

Off their pocketbooks? Coaching contracts are guarenteed unless something very severe occurs.

I wonder how NFL front office would react if he tried to sign a current DC as head coach.

Panthers only have 4 picks in this draft...5 in next years draft.  And they still suck after failing to fix the QB situation with Darnold and Baker.  Maybe he should sign Rosen and trade for Rudolph just to round out the failed QB's from the same class.  

Maybe the guy they should be firing is the GM?  

Big dividends can be earned being a small fish in a big pond with big time college HC jobs…..and easier.

But some think they’re sharks ready to go for bigger prey, and pay, in the NFL. 

They are two different environments, and jobs, for sure.

45 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Another guy with almost no NFL experience who should have never been hired by the Panthers.  Lesson learned.

I doubt it …… There always seems to be some owner who holds out hope that a hot college coach will make it in the NFL.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.