Time for Beane to "break glass in case of emergency"?

zow2

All the areas fans were worried about came flooding in at once yesterday, so I get the panic.  Diggs couldn’t stay on the field, Davis showed no explosion presumably due to his ankle, the OL got banged up and could do anything right, the secondary is down to a UDFA taking snaps at corner.. yeah it’s a hot mess.   That said, you can’t have 53 starters, that’s not how it works, you also have virtually zero chance of winning every game, so regardless of what Rex Ryan says, you shouldn’t have planned on that anyway.   All of the crap that happened, the Bills managed to stay in the game to the point where they should have won, but JA choked (on the goal line) and that’s excusing the missed FG earlier in the game, the missed snap before half and the eventual ***** show of a last play. 

Should they be concerned?  Yeah, this is a lot of injuries to over come.  Baltimore is playing good football, there’s absolutely a chance they drop 2 in a row if guys can’t get back in.   Also, I have to question the conditioning program without the extra preseason game.  It’s been obvious Diggs isn’t in shape to play this year, he’s effective when he’s out there, but he’s constantly pulling himself.  The muscle injuries are generally blamed on lack of conditioning, not a great sign there either.  

What do you do? Nothing and hope to get and stay healthy.  The only potential move would be Beckham and that’s going to be about the money working.  It’s also going to be something we talk about more in ~a month when he’s close to ready to practice. 

• Like (+1) 2

We lost a 2 point game in week 3 (after piling up a +55 point differential against 2 playoff teams, btw) with an injury ravaged roster where we still managed to dominate yardage and TOP.  We clearly need to BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!! SIGN SEAN PAYTON, OBJ AND TRADE FOR CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY OR WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YA!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

0-4 under the McDermott regime.  (JAX, HOU, KC, KC) :(

Yeah he's in some murky water right now. I feel like he completely has ownership's goodwill and all, but I think his fan approval rating keeps sliding if the perception grows that he's strategically losing them games. He's definitely adapted over the years, probably out of survival instinct as much as anything (thinking 4th down calls mostly). but he's still out to lunch on many challenge scenarios, and there isn't much confidence you can gain between 13 seconds and the way the final plays were executed yesterday. I'm willing to chalk some of the final drive yesterday up to exhaustion, but he's gotta be more than a cheerleader.

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

And worst case scenario? 2-2, and maybe you start getting those guys back (and Tre).

Like i said elsewhere, looking at the next few weeks, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs, then the bye.  Things are easier after that so even if they go into the bye at 2-3, but have most of their starters back going into November, they can make a run.  Having said that, the injury rate isn't sustainable and a few more starters go down for any period and it's going to be Josh Allen and 21 JAGs

It just sucks because you know damn well that this division/conference game is probably going to cost them home field

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

Who do you suggest we get?  The Bills have about $2 million dollars in cap space, and are way up against it next year.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

If there’s one thing about Beane its that he’s not reactive like that.  He will make the big move if it makes sense but he’s not going to mortgage the future for one season.  

With the recent contracts the Bills signed those high round, cost controlled contracts are all that much more important 

38 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who do you suggest we get?  The Bills have about $2 million dollars in cap space, and are way up against it next year.  

Not that I am suggesting who they should “sign/don’t sign”, but don’t the cap dollars of Hyde’s free up once he is placed on IR?

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I feel like the 'All in' move was getting Von Miller, with the added benefit of 'adding a Pro Bowl level CB' at some point in the season in Tre White.

RELAX.

This is our first Overreaction Monday of the year. Pace yourselves, it’s a long season. 

We were decimated by injuries, and still won that game in every aspect but the scoreboard. I know, that’s the one that counts, but our mix of starters, 2nd and 3rd string guys should have beaten a good team on the road in insufferable conditions.

Let’s get healthy. We will be fine.

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, pocoboy said:

Man, 1 loss in September and it's already doomsday. Hopefully the exhaustion stuff can be rectified quickly.

And worst case scenario? 2-2, and maybe you start getting those guys back (and Tre).

It's a long season, we're so focused on HFA but it can be done on the road too.

Hmmm. Maybe if he had traded for Miller last season they would have won in KC. The trade deadline is early in the NFL so you have to start thinking about making moves now.

Maybe that move is to move a corner to safety. Maybe it is to sign someone else. Cowboys just moved Jason Peters up from PS. Bucs added Beasley.  Not saying those are make or break moves but it shows you teams are still adjusting their roster and addressing injury issues beyond just next man up.

I think they should sign a quality veteran starting guard, a quality veteran defensive tackle, a hall-of-fame caliber defensive end with Super Bowl championship experience, and three more defensive linemen with experience, preferably two of them on the interior (one of whom has inside pass rush skills) and one who can set the edge against the run.  When is Beane going to do something?

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

No need to panic just yet but I certainly think if the injury concerns mount then McBeane might come in and bring in some help via trade. But I just don’t see that point yet.

This was no blowout. The Bills could have won the game. Give the Dolphins defense credit, but the Bills harmed themselves more than the Dolphins did.

The problem is, we only have the cap space for maybe ONE significant move.

Right now, we are getting extremely thin at WR, OL, DT, CB and S.

Which position do you want to address, here in the first month of the season?  What if you go after a DB... and then Stefon Diggs goes down for the rest of the year.  You are going to wish you had saved the money for Odell Beckham.

Most of our injuries fortunately seem short-term, so hopefully we will be back to somewhat full strength in a month or so.

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

In light of Benford's injury, we are very thin at corner until Tre gets back.  I would expect them to perhaps sign more DBs to their practice squad for the time being, but no more than that.

Benford is hurt??  When/how.  missed that

Edited by RyanC883

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The problem is, we only have the cap space for maybe ONE significant move.

Right now, we are getting extremely thin at WR, OL, DT, CB and S.

Which position do you want to address, here in the first month of the season?  What if you go after a DB... and then Stefon Diggs goes down for the rest of the year.  You are going to wish you had saved the money for Odell Beckham.

Most of our injuries fortunately seem short-term, so hopefully we will be back to somewhat full strength in a month or so.

OL rarely becomes available.  Probably not going to have a chance to address that in season.   Also, we’re currently fine there (imo).  Wish they run blocked better, but they’re a solid offensive line with decent vet depth. 

DT & CB are short term injuries.  Knock on wood, we get to a point after the bye where our 4 man DT rotation finally sees the field together and Tre White / Kaiir Elam are backed up by Dane Jackson & a healed up Christian Benford. 

Safety & WR is where I’d be looking.  If it’s me, and we can make one move, I’m going full court press on Odell Beckham.  He should be affordable under the cap we have left and we don’t need to trade away picks for him.   

Love the potential of Gabe Davis… don’t trust him as WR2 for a full season right now.  We’ve played three games so far.  He’s missed one, played hobbled in another and was healthy for exactly one game.. the opener. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.