Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

Great to see! 

as to what they are paying him, I don’t give a hoot what they pay him, it was a very good decision to retain his services, 

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

agree with this.  This won't likely impact Davis.  I think Singletary is gone after this year.  He likely has a good year, would like to keep him, but if Davis also has a good year likely easier to replace Singletary (unless he goes really insane on a top 3 RB level).  

Even if it does Beane has to do things one at a time.  The thing with Davis is it's all unknown right now.  He's under contract

for next year and we all (Beane and McDermott included) have to wait to see what happens.  He could play well and be a solid WR2 or

he could play better than last year and end up a WR1B.  Then again, he could go crazy and price himself out of the Bills market.

It will be fun to watch what happens with him, but they had to address the TE position now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think this is a great move for the morale of the locker room, a palate cleanser if you will after the Matt Araiza situation. Everyone on the team knows what Knox went through this offseason, to see him rewarded like this will bring the team closer together.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Great to see! 

as to what they are paying him, I don’t give a hoot what they pay him, it was a very good decision to retain his services, 

Go Bills!!!

Isn’t it great that we don’t have to manage the salary cap and Beane does it for us?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I still think its him or Gabe.  Looks like Buffalo valued Knox more.

It’s probably Knox or Gabe eventually. But “not enough money under the cap to pay all our good players” is a classic good team problem. 
As far as the wisdom of committing scarce money to Knox vs. Gabe (or another WR): it makes sense to me. They are at about the same stage of development right now - guys who took a big step last year and are poised to enter the ranks of the pro bowlers at their positions. But TEs generally peak later, and elite TEs are a more rare commodity. Ask yourself: when did this franchise last produce one? (“Never” is the answer that comes to mind.) The likelihood of replacing Gabe’s production through other avenues is greater. So yes, this does tie Beane’s hands a bit starting next year, but it’s the kind of calculated risk I applaud him for taking. 

7 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

My opinion on this one is completely dependent on the opportunity cost.

Edmunds, Poyer, or Oliver not being signed?  I'm fine with it.  Poyer is too old to commit to a long term, expensive deal.  Edmunds simply is not worthy of a truckload of money.  I think Oliver will ultimately be too expensive for us to sign.  I'd rather have Knox on the offense than any of those guys on the defense.

If this signing means there isn't money left for Gabe Davis - I'm against it.  I think Gabe has the higher ceiling and I'd rather see him on the team long term as opposed to Knox.

Totally reasonable take.

Me? If forced to choose, I'd rather have Knox than Davis, simply because I think very good tight ends are harder to find than very good receivers. Obviously, I hope they re-sign Davis, too. But if they can't, I have faith that they can find a capable replacement at WR. There are simply too many good ones coming out every year. As it is, we've seen them hit on a 4th rounder (Davis) and it appears they've hit on a 5th rounder (Shakir), too.

It's harder to find very good, very productive tight ends, AND it takes longer for rookie tight ends to get acclimated. A matchup-dictating tight end is also more important to overall offensive production and ceiling than a WR2, in my opinion.

Anyway, hopefully it's a moot point and they find a way to pay Gabe, too, because I agree, he's a potentially special player.

Key point to remember: The Bills control Davis for the next three years if they want to, even WITHOUT signing him to an extension.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

agree with this.  This won't likely impact Davis.  I think Singletary is gone after this year.  He likely has a good year, would like to keep him, but if Davis also has a good year likely easier to replace Singletary (unless he goes really insane on a top 3 RB level).  

That was my first thought after hearing about the Knox contract....”save some money for Davis and Oliver!!”

I’m pretty sure they will be the next two priorities for re-signing next offseason. 

This is is likely the last season in a Bills uniform for Singletary and Edmunds. I’m holding out hope for a 1 year extension for Poyer, but I’m sure he’s looking for a longer term deal and will roll the dice on the FA market next offseason.

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Oh you got me good man 😂. If you looked, at the time I was typing that post, literally every single comment before was glowingly positive of the extension.  I was obviously referring to the board at that time, not the general population. 

Knox is not, by any standard, a top 5 TE.  That is a delusional take colored by red and blue lens. Don't get me wrong, we all wear em, but take them off for second. He is due for a touchdown regression and by any other measure (especially when you account for blocking) he is not an elite player.  Hope he takes some big steps forward and becomes an elite all around TE, but that's a reach to say currently. 

He’s due for aggression? In an offense that features the tight end?

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The tweet mentions that the deal is expected to put him in the top 5 of TE's. We know what the top 5 makes.

Based on what?

- 18th in TE receptions

- 15th in TE yards

- 22nd in TE yards per reception

Only stat he is one of the best is tight end TD's.

After all Isn’t that the goal? 🙄

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

While you are hoping you should hope for a replacement to magically appear who is nearly as good, because he is not on the roster now.

What I'm hoping for is a guy to replace him at 1/10th the price, and actually make an impact play from time to time.

Edmunds at 5-8 mil? Sure even though I don't like him as as player, but I will acknowledge he is a defensive captain and brings some intangibles to the defence.

edmunds at 13 plus? Not a chance in hell

Edited by BillsFan130

I really don't like it. Knox is a fine player, but he's far from an elite talent based on what he's shown so far. I think he's closer to top 10 than top 5. A team that's a league favorite shouldn't have to overpay for mediocrity the same way we did when we were in the drought. If he wanted top 5 money, i would have rather drafted a replacement and signed a guy like Gesicki to mid term.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

awe some 

I hate when work interrupts my Bills fix.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rodgers let Adams walk without a peep. 

A A Ron won’t be around much longer 

JA 17 is ours indefinitely 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.