Sam Martin in Buffalo on a visit (Signed to a 1 yr contract)

Turbo44

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I still can’t believe we care this much about a punter. I’m having flashbacks to Moorman being the best player on the team. Those were bad times.

We will soon go back to not noticing the punter, until he shanks one or does something exceptionally well.  Otherwise, he will become appropriately invisible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

We will soon go back to not noticing the punter, until he shanks one or does something exceptionally well.  Otherwise, he will become appropriately invisible.

I disagree. I think we’ll be noticing him pinning teams inside the 20 regularly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Has anyone heard what Martin's contract and cap hit are?  I heard 1 year, but no amounts.

I can't give you numbers, but I did hear that even though he wouldn't take a pay cut from the Broncos, he took less than his old contract to sign with the Bills.

This is a sound signing.  Martin's leg may not be freaky, but is certainly above average, maybe well above average.  He's said to be a capable holder of field goals and extra points, and he's good a directional punts a pins a lot of opponents inside the 20.  Most importantly, he's consistent.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I still can’t believe we care this much about a punter. I’m having flashbacks to Moorman being the best player on the team. Those were bad times.

Were they bad times? … or did we just have an unbelievable punter. 

Brian Moorman 4 ring of honor.

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I can't give you numbers, but I did hear that even though he wouldn't take a pay cut from the Broncos, he took less than his old contract to sign with the Bills.

This is a sound signing.  Martin's leg may not be freaky, but is certainly above average, maybe well above average.  He's said to be a capable holder of field goals and extra points, and he's good a directional punts a pins a lot of opponents inside the 20.  Most importantly, he's consistent.

Compared to Haack he's Ray Guy.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, billieve420 said:

Biggest issue for me with new Punter is him getting comfortable with Bass on FG attempts. Other than that Just need Martin to be average elsewhere and we are fine.

I suspect they’re working on that 8 hours a day until Thursday—they better be. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:16 PM, Since1981 said:

Has any group put this much mindshare into a PUNTER? Started as G O D. Ended as D O G. 

SEPT 12 can’t get here fast enough!

…and no punts in ‘22, per Josh anyway.

seriously lol. 

Im of the mindset: this team rarely punts. We need a punter who is 1. Not a liability when asked to punt and 2. Good for Bass. This guy seems like he covers both. 

getting into the weeds of whether or not he’s an elite punter is kinda like trying to find blemishes on ScarJo 

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

There were 5 teams last year with less punts than the Bills, and another 14 who averaged less than 1 punt more per game than the Bills.   The idea that the Bills punt much less than any other team is not true.

Here are the stats I read from last year.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/special-teams/punts/2021/reg/all

Bills punt a lot less than the average and have way less returns.

The thing with me is having a low number of shanks.

• Like (+1) 1

And there we have it, a competent punter…, what position is next on the relentless thread agenda? 

Go Bills!!!

On 9/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

The other thread is 295 pages.   This thread has many miles to go...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.