Which player on the roster baffles you that they are on this team?

Wizard

Stevenson over Hodgins is the big shocker.  

Van Roten over Mancz is an injury move.  Mancz would have likely been out injured and they need a backup C so that Bates can stay at RG.  I think we could get Mancz back later unless Van Roten actually does good as a backup C/G.  

Sweeney lucked out that OJH was actually worse and slow to learn the offense.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Morris is new.  Josh knows Sweeney and he sticks until something else happens.  Beane will get the best TE for the PS that he can.

Sweeney if under the gun and he knows it.  If he doesn't improve, he won't be a Bill next year.

What do you mean Josh knows Sweeney??  Are you saying he gets to pick his buddies for the team?  That sounds silly.  But not sure how we end up w Sweeney and Morris as our 2nd and 3rd TE's.  That's curious that we cut OJ Howard.  What did he do so poorly?  The guy ran a nice route for a TD against the Broncos.  

20 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I can't believe how poor the OLine depth is. 

I don't like Doyle at all.  But where are you finding better then Hart, Van Roten, and Quissenberry/Brown?  Not a lot of good O lineman around the league.  A lot of teams can barely find 4 or 5 starting caliber O lineman, let along backups.  

Was Cody Ford really worse then Hart and Van Roten?  

7 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What do you mean Josh knows Sweeney??  Are you saying he gets to pick his buddies for the team?  That sounds silly.  But not sure how we end up w Sweeney and Morris as our 2nd and 3rd TE's.  That's curious that we cut OJ Howard.  What did he do so poorly?  The guy ran a nice route for a TD against the Broncos.  

I don't like Doyle at all.  But where are you finding better then Hart, Van Roten, and Quissenberry/Brown?  Not a lot of good O lineman around the league.  A lot of teams can barely find 4 or 5 starting caliber O lineman, let along backups.  

Was Cody Ford really worse then Hart and Van Roten?  

No, Ford wasn't worse than them. Nor was Mancz which is weird. 

I'm just wondering how Blackshear and Hodgins AREN'T on the team. Remember when Beane and McDermott almost made this mistake with Gabriel Davis? I understand the running back position is undervalued but in this offense, having a stable of wide receivers who can get it done in the event something terrible happens you'd think would take priority. Hopefully he catches on somewhere else, not in our division.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, billybob71 said:

None of this back end of the roster stuff matters much, yeah I know this is a Bills message board so knock yourself out and discuss away... but we have Josh freaking Allen best QB in the league, that nullifies the whole Quintin over OJ or Hart over Mancz... etc it doesn't matter we have JOSH ALLEN people😁

Mattered last year in Kansas City. Short memory?

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the irritation with cockroaches like Sweeney and Jones. But coaches value leadership intangibles and ST. As a fan, I have no insight into those nuances and whether there’s any return on investment over the course of a season.

I’m more baffled with retread scrubs like Lawson and Phillips who have zero upside.

• Eyeroll 1

Sweeney makes no sense. Howard was already paid for and he should have been given time to get better.  Sweeney does nothing well.  If Howard truly can't play fine, but Sweeney can't play either. 

My feelings on Gilliam are well known.  I don't want a FB on the field and I would use an OT as a third TE.  I would use Moss in a two backfield set.  I'm sorry to rant but Gilliam also does nothing well except know the playbook in multiple spots. He is not a good lead blocker and he is not a threat in the pass game.  If they really want a true FB then go get a decent one.

I still believe the team puts too much emphasis on Special Teams.  I don't understand why they have three guys designated for special teams that have zero ability with their natural position.   Why can't they coach up Blackshear, Hodgins, or some other LB to play teams?  Those first two guys showed more than Jones and Kumerow have at RB and WR.  Ultimately it doesn't really matter.  All these guys are bottom of the roster and only the PHK really makes a difference.    

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Stevenson (unless running into the ass of your teammates is now a thing I am not sure what value he adds)

Sweeney (bad at football)

Hart (I get that people can improve but this would need to be Clark Kent's unattractive, half-brother turning into Superman)

6 hours ago, msw2112 said:

What surprises me is not that Jones is a great gunner and therefore kept on the roster, but that year after year, they can't find a guy who they can coach up to be a really good gunner who is also a viable backup at a position of need.  So many good athletes pass through that don't make it.  Couldn't a backup CB, S, LB or (viable) RB be molded into a gunner over the course of a training camp or a season on the Practice Squad?  Or is it just that specialized a skill and Jones just that much better at it?  Given that I trust our coaching staff and front office, I'd have to say yes.

It's that. I don't know why Bills fans still need this explaining every year but Taiwan Jones is really, really good at what he does. He isn't replaceable by any Tom, Dick or Isaiah that you just pluck off the bottom end of the roster.

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm thinking being a gunner is as much mindset as talent---much like a WR/TE being a good blocker. The technique can be taught, but not the mentality.

Plus you need a guy you KNOW (not hope) will be there game after game doing a great job.  Most RBs (just for example) are concentrating on breaking into the starting lineup as a RB. It's good to have a guy who knows his role and puts all of his effort into his ST position.

I've said it before and say it again. Too many posters have a disrespect of special teams. They would rather have a slightly better RB sitting on the very edge of the bench, rarely if ever getting into a game at that position, than have a stud ST player. Completely absurd, IMO.  If the RBs get injured, it's pretty damn easy to pick one up during the week. 

Good Post Dean.

Most fans don't care about special teams until we get a PR or KR TD scored against us or have a botched punt, etc. And then they are mad at the team for not having good special teams, even though on cut day they were advocating to cut core special teams players. We have been spoiled by good special teams the last few years, for the most part (and during the Super Bowl runs). But there have been many years in between where they weren't so special, where it cost us games, etc. Field position is real (even though the new kickoff rules have diminished the number of kick returns themselves).

As to the roster...

I really wanted to see Hodgins make the team (I think he's a beast at converting 3rd and 4th downs and catches everything thrown his way). But, how much would he have realistically played (barring injury). Are you sitting Diggs, Davis, Crowder/McKenzie, Cook/Singeltary on 3rd down for Isiah? Whereas Kumerow will play teams every week. And, most likely, Hodgins ends up on the practice squad anyhow...so will still be available if injuries occur.

My heart would have liked to see Blackshear make it, but my head pretty much knew he wouldn't. Again, with Singletary, Moss, and Cook in front of him, he's not on the field unless there are injuries. Whereas Taiwan plays every week at an important position (just not RB). And again, we will most likely have at least one, if not both, Duke Johnson and/or Blackshear on the practice squad, in case of injuries.

Not sure why everyone is so down on Tommy Sweeney all of a sudden. O.J. Howard is a name and a high draft pick, so I can only assume that people are still holding out hope that he'll finally reach his potential (I did too when they signed him). But, he didn't do it in Tampa Bay with the Goat, and from all reports, was not playing well in training camp. And he was invisible in the preseason except for that one TD...and he played a lot of minutes. I'm not sure yet if Sweeney is much better than O.J., but I definitely don't think he is clearly worse. And if it's even, or slight edge to Sweeney, why wouldn't you keep the guy you know better, that does all of the right things, that already is bonded with the rest of the team, and knows the system better? As for Morris, I think he did stand out in the preseason and is more athletic than Howard or Sweeney, so deserved a spot. 

I can't knock the Bills for the roster decisions they made (with some tweaks still to come, I'm sure). Even if a guy I wanted didn't make it, I at least can see the reasoning behind the decisions. Could we lose a player like Blackshear or Hodgins to waivers (possibly, and that would suck), but come week one, who is more important on the field? A 6th-string WR who can or can't play STs, a 4th/5th-string RB who can or can't play STs, etc. And with the size of and lack of restrictions on the practice squads now, you can stash a lot of injury insurance there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He toes the company line…. That’s what he means by shill… he’s a homer who will support just about anything the organization does. 

I don’t trust nor take into consideration anything he says.

Well it is your loss because what I find is that because he is out there and has cultivated the relationship - he knows more about what is going on than most others - especially people on this board.

He had been telling those that listened - don’t be surprised if Sweeney makes it - the staff thought he had a great camp - he was catching everything and Howard was struggling.

He talked about Cam Lewis and using him at safety and how that was the last piece for him making this roster.

Maybe he is a shill, but if being a shill means you get the legitimate knowledge of what is going on with little bits filtered out because of things he can’t say - compared to other media members that spout crap because you want to hear it - give me the facts.

Everything he has said was coming up correct or he said it was down to these 2 depending on roster make-up.  For example - he had Hodgins out because he could not separate against the 4’s and he was weak at the point of attack on ST.  Therefore he had Kumerow making it.  Kumerow is less polished as a receiver, but gets separation even versus the 1’s and blocks better.  Plus he is way better at ST.

That isn’t shilling- that is stating what the team is looking for in a #6 WR and why Kumerow has and edge.

He talked extensively about Cam Lewis versus Nick McCloud as a final roster spot and how going into camp McCloud had the edge because he had corner/safety flexibility and that was the request of the team to Cam.  Cam stepped up and has outside/slot/ and now safety flexibility giving him the edge.

You could learn a lot because reading your posts it seems you miss a lot of what and why teams do things.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.