Field Yates - "I truly believe there's no scarier player to defend in 2022 than JA."

BillsFan619

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, that was the problem.  It was a bad/wasted pick then and an even worse pick in hindsight.

Yes, YES!  It prevented the Packers from back to back appearances AND kept him from winning his first MVP in 7 years.

Oh wait---none of that happened!  But we will always be left to imagine how a rookie at some position would have made the #1 Offense so much even better that the MVP wouldn't choke away the game at the very end.

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is no chance Josh Allen is scarier than Aaron Rodgers.

I have no problem putting him 2nd though. Rodgers is on a different planet.

Umm…please go back and watch the last games played by both Rodgers and Allen,  them please come back and try to say this with a straight face.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why so many people just blindly love Aaron Rodgers and just continue to fellate his reputation to no end simply astounds me.  Is it all the endless (and atrocious) State Farm commercials?  I don’t know. All I know is that I have been completely unimpressed with his play and attitude on the field for several years now.  That last game against the truly mediocre 49’rs was just awful.  Just the look on his face the entire game inspired absolutely no one, let alone the team he was supposed to be leading to the SB again.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, YES!  It prevented the Packers from back to back appearances AND kept him from winning his first MVP in 7 years.

Oh wait---none of that happened!  But we will always be left to imagine how a rookie at some position would have made the #1 Offense so much even better that the MVP wouldn't choke away the game at the very end.

Look, your assertion 2 years ago that no draft pick would have helped the Packers because their fate was set was absurd enough.  Then you tried to claim that since they did it before, Love had a good chance of being another HOF'er. 

No, they would have been far better-served drafting anyone other than Love because a) at best he wasn't going to help them for several years and b) he hasn't show much and will likely be gone in 2 years max and for nothing.  Meanwhile a guy like Tee Higgins, who you dismissed and who was taken just 3 spots after GB's original pick in that round, has averaged 1,000 yards and 6 TDs, and guys like Antoine Winfield and Trevon Diggs have made the Pro Bowl.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Umm…please go back and watch the last games played by both Rodgers and Allen,  them please come back and try to say this with a straight face.

If we’re only basing this on their last 2 games then Allen is the scariest athlete ever.

I don’t know where Allen goes after last year’s playoffs. No one does. He was in the zone as he’s said.

I remember the Falcons game right before the playoffs as well. One of his worst games of his career. A lot of poor decisions. Allen is still inconsistent, but we’re watching him grow into the scariest QB in the NFL. It’s a process man. Eventually he’ll get there the way he’s going. 

If I’m a defensive coordinator and get to choose the QB I face out of Rodgers, Mahomes, and Allen, I’m picking Allen. That’s right now. He’s in the conversation, who cares  who people pick at this point? I’m not going to dislike someone’s answer if they say Allen’s the scariest. I don’t agree but I’m not hitting the dislike button.

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If we’re only basing this on their last 2 games then Allen is the scariest athlete ever.

I don’t know where Allen goes after last year’s playoffs. No one does. He was in the zone as he’s said.

I remember the Falcons game right before the playoffs as well. One of his worst games of his career. A lot of poor decisions. Allen is still inconsistent, but we’re watching him grow into the scariest QB in the NFL. It’s a process man. Eventually he’ll get there the way he’s going. 

If I’m a defensive coordinator and get to choose the QB I face out of Rodgers, Mahomes, and Allen, I’m picking Allen. That’s right now. He’s in the conversation, who cares  who people pick at this point? I’m not going to dislike someone’s answer if they say Allen’s the scariest. I don’t agree but I’m not hitting the dislike button.

Rodgers was terrible in the season opened last year against the Saints.  Cost me 5 survivor picks. :censored:

On 7/16/2022 at 9:49 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Really? He has a winning record. 45 TDs to 13 ints in the playoffs. Other than last year I feel his defense has been the biggest reason he hasn’t gone back to the Super Bowl.

The Packers defense is absolutely the reason he hasn't made it back to the Super Bowl.  

In 6 of his 10 playoff losses, the opposing team scored between 31-55 points.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, BillsFan619 said:

#3 on the coaches, execs and players survey AND

currently the MVP favorite according to FanDuel AND

the scariest player to defend in 2022 according to Field Yates

Well, duh!

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Packers defense is absolutely the reason he hasn't made it back to the Super Bowl.  

In 6 of his 10 playoff losses, the opposing team scored between 31-55 points.

Oh baloney, I watched the last packer ouster and Rogers couldn’t buy a play all day….

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Look, your assertion 2 years ago that no draft pick would have helped the Packers because their fate was set was absurd enough.  Then you tried to claim that since they did it before, Love had a good chance of being another HOF'er. 

No, they would have been far better-served drafting anyone other than Love because a) at best he wasn't going to help them for several years and b) he hasn't show much and will likely be gone in 2 years max and for nothing.  Meanwhile a guy like Tee Higgins, who you dismissed and who was taken just 3 spots after GB's original pick in that round, has averaged 1,000 yards and 6 TDs, and guys like Antoine Winfield and Trevon Diggs have made the Pro Bowl.

Actually I didn't try to claim that.  lol...

Look, the Packers were rolling over their competition, scoring more points than any team in the league.  Tee Higgins wouldn't have made them higher than #1.  Also, Winfield and Diggs weren't on anyone's 1st round board, both going in the second---before the Packers pick.  By your logic, the Bills should have not traded for Diggs and kept the pick for Jefferson--who has averaged 1500 yards right off the bus...with Cousins as his QB...while splitting targets with Thielen (none of which Diggs could do) and had him on a rookie contract---maybe got them to a SB or 2!   

Since the Packers drafted Love, Rodgers has won back to back MVPs and they have gone to the NFCC game also back to back. In that game against the Bucs, the MVP threw for 346 yards, 3 TDs.....and then, on the cusp of tying the game late in the 4th, he made a bad decision.   

To claim that was the direct or indirect result of a bad draft decision before the season started is jus..."absurd".

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You have no clue what it prevented them from doing…..THAT’S the point.  

We KNOW, for a FACT, that the packers didn’t win either of the last 2 Super Bowls after wasting draft picks on Jordan Love.  

We aren’t saying that they absolutely would have won a super bowl if they had drafted someone that would have actually contributed……we’re saying that they might have.  They were a top team both seasons. Both of those seasons ended in a one possession game.  Don’t pretend like you KNOW they wouldn’t have won a SB if they drafted someone else.  You don’t.  But continue pretending.  

again…..before you change the premise…. We aren’t saying they would have won a SB….we’re saying that is possible that they may have.  The only thing that we KNOW….. after two season…..is that drafting Jordan Love was a bad pick for a team focused on winning a super bowl.   You disagreed at the time…… because you said the packers weren’t that good and we’re pretenders….. not contenders. But you were wrong. Yet again

13 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I’ll be the first to say that allen is better than Rodgers….but Rodgers played a very good niner defense in 1 degree weather.  I’m sure you can use other examples other than “their last game”.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We KNOW, for a FACT, that the packers didn’t win either of the last 2 Super Bowls after wasting draft picks on Jordan Love.  

We aren’t saying that they absolutely would have won a super bowl if they had drafted someone that would have actually contributed……we’re saying that they might have.  They were a top team both seasons. Both of those seasons ended in a one possession game.  Don’t pretend like you KNOW they wouldn’t have won a SB if they drafted someone else.  You don’t.  But continue pretending.  

again…..before you change the premise…. We aren’t saying they would have won a SB….we’re saying that is possible that they may have.  The only thing that we KNOW….. after two season…..is that drafting Jordan Love was a bad pick for a team focused on winning a super bowl.   You disagreed at the time…… because you said the packers weren’t that good and we’re pretenders….. not contenders. But you were wrong. Yet again

I’ll be the first to say that allen is better than Rodgers….but Rodgers played a very good niner defense in 1 degree weather.  I’m sure you can use other examples other than “their last game”.  

They might have, sure. But why does the Love pick get obsessed over? Why not the years of wasted 1st and 2nd round picks on defensive backs? 

I still to this day defend the Love pick. It was strategically the right move even if the talent evaluation was wrong. Years of wasting picks on running backs and defensive backs is what has stopped the Packers putting talent around Rodgers. Not taking a shot at his successor. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Actually I didn't try to claim that.  lol...

Look, the Packers were rolling over their competition, scoring more points than any team in the league.  Tee Higgins wouldn't have made them higher than #1.  Also, Winfield and Diggs weren't on anyone's 1st round board, both going in the second---before the Packers pick.  By your logic, the Bills should have not traded for Diggs and kept the pick for Jefferson--who has averaged 1500 yards right off the bus...with Cousins as his QB...while splitting targets with Thielen (none of which Diggs could do) and had him on a rookie contract---maybe got them to a SB or 2!   

Since the Packers drafted Love, Rodgers has won back to back MVPs and they have gone to the NFCC game also back to back. In that game against the Bucs, the MVP threw for 346 yards, 3 TDs.....and then, on the cusp of tying the game late in the 4th, he made a bad decision.   

To claim that was the direct or indirect result of a bad draft decision before the season started is jus..."absurd".

You have no idea what Tre Higgins or any other player would do.  In a one possession game, all it takes in ONE play. A first rd pick is capable of starting and making one big play.  But you can pretend to have a magic crystal ball.  We aren’t pretending to know anything other than the packers made a bad pick that MAY HAVE prevented them from winning a super bowl.  While you LITERALLY MAKE STUFF UP. to try and prove a point.  

cole strange wasn’t on anyone boards as a first rd pick.  Yet he was picked in rd 1.  EVERY year, there a handful of guys taken in rd one that were projected by most to go rd 2.   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Neither am I.  Where did I change the premise?

I have repeatedly said that the Love pick did NOT prevent them from going to a SB--as the team got better despite the pick and they were on the cusp of making the SB both years.  

You're stuck arguing that some OTHER rookie that they could have taken at 30 or 26 would have, in that NFCC game,  made a difference that would have gotten them past the Bucs in the 4th Q.   Who is it? 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They might have, sure. But why does the Love pick get obsessed over? Why not the years of wasted 1st and 2nd round picks on defensive backs? 

I still to this day defend the Love pick. It was strategically the right move even if the talent evaluation was wrong. Years of wasting picks on running backs and defensive backs is what has stopped the Packers putting talent around Rodgers. Not taking a shot at his successor. 

Because WEO and I have discussed it since it happened.  

you can defend whatever you want. Analytics shows that drafting QBs with a first rd pick is the smartest use of a first rd pick.  As a team that I thought was very close to winning a super bowl, I thought they should be going all in to help AR win another SB. Instead, they drafted his potential replacement.  Worked out well.  Number 1 seed 2 years in a row.  Two losses in one possession games.  Games where all it takes is one play to change the result.  Jordan Love contributed nothing and they lost.  They MAY have one a super bowl if they would have used the pick elsewhere.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You have no idea what Tre Higgins or any other player would do.  In a one possession game, all it takes in ONE play. A first rd pick is capable of starting and making one big play.  But you can pretend to have a magic crystal ball.  We aren’t pretending to know anything other than the packers made a bad pick that MAY HAVE prevented them from winning a super bowl.  While you LITERALLY MAKE STUFF UP. to try and prove a point.  

cole strange wasn’t on anyone boards as a first rd pick.  Yet he was picked in rd 1.  EVERY year, there a handful of guys taken in rd one that were projected by most to go rd 2.   

Some unnamed rookie player could have, at that very moment, stepped in and made a game winning play----and I'm making things up??  lol.

Anyway, yes--in that moment, all it took was one play.  But the wrong play was chosen.  Game over.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Neither am I.  Where did I change the premise?

I have repeatedly said that the Love pick did NOT prevent them from going to a SB--as the team got better despite the pick and they were on the cusp of making the SB both years.  

You're stuck arguing that some OTHER rookie that they could have taken at 30 or 26 would have, in that NFCC game,  made a difference that would have gotten them past the Bucs in the 4th Q.   Who is it? 

I said….before you change the premise….. I didn’t say that you did.  

yeah…..Jordan love caused them to improve.  Die on that hill.  Please.

I’m stuck arguing that Jordan Love was a terrible pick and they may have won a super bowl if they had drafted someone else.  Do you have a packer friends?  I do.  We discuss this multiple times per year.  They agree with me 💯.  Most people agree that drafting Jordan Love is a debacle.  But die on the hill that Jordan Love made the packers offense better.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Some unnamed rookie player could have, at that very moment, stepped in and made a game winning play----and I'm making things up??  lol.

Anyway, yes--in that moment, all it took was one play.  But the wrong play was chosen.  Game over.

You’re insufferable……

I said that someone else MAY have made a play.  MAY have made a difference.  Why is that so hard to understand?   You’re saying that Tee Higgins WOULDN’T have made a difference…..,you don’t see how what you and I saying are completely different?  I’m not claiming ANYTHING to be true.  I’m saying anything definitively.  You are.  BIG difference.  

it was fun.  Jordan love.  Great pick.  ✌️ 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m stuck arguing that Jordan Love was a terrible pick and they may have won a super bowl if they had drafted someone else.  Do you have a packer friends?  I do.  We discuss this multiple times per year.  They agree with me 💯.  Most people agree that drafting Jordan Love is a debacle.  But die on the hill that Jordan Love made the packers offense better.  

You’re insufferable……

I said that someone else MAY have made a play.  MAY have made a difference.  Why is that so hard to understand?   You’re saying that Tee Higgins WOULDN’T have made a difference…..,you don’t see how what you and I saying are completely different?  I’m not claiming ANYTHING to be true.  I’m saying anything definitively.  You are.  BIG difference.  

lol

Anyway, you keep putting arguments in my posts that aren't there.  I said they got better despite the pick, not that the pick "caused them to improve".  

If you can only make straw man arguments, then just hoist the white flag or allow me to enjoy myself reading your responses!

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No one's obsessing over it.  Love just wasn't going to help them at all for years, if ever.  Rodgers had just come off a Pro Bowl season (I similarly think drafting AJ Dillon was dumb, since Jones was also coming off a Pro Bowl season) and they had just made it to the NFCCG.  Rodgers had been clamoring for more receiver help and Higgins would have done just that.  What they'd done before means little.

Edited by Doc

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because WEO and I have discussed it since it happened.  

you can defend whatever you want. Analytics shows that drafting QBs with a first rd pick is the smartest use of a first rd pick.  As a team that I thought was very close to winning a super bowl, I thought they should be going all in to help AR win another SB. Instead, they drafted his potential replacement.  Worked out well.  Number 1 seed 2 years in a row.  Two losses in one possession games.  Games where all it takes is one play to change the result.  Jordan Love contributed nothing and they lost.  They MAY have one a super bowl if they would have used the pick elsewhere.  

But still why focus on that pick? I think that pick is defensible. There are tons of high GB picks in recent years that are not.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

No one's obsessing over it.  Love just wasn't going to help them at all for years, if ever.  Rodgers had just come off a Pro Bowl season (I similarly think drafting AJ Dillon was dumb, since Jones was also coming off a Pro Bowl season) and they had just made it to the NFCCG.  Rodgers had been clamoring for more receiver help and Higgins would have done just that.  What they'd done before means little.

Dillon is a much worse pick than Love. It is undeniable. 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:23 AM, Doc said:

True, but it will be interesting to see him without Hill.  If he's still putting up the same stats...

Hes still going to put up big numbers but that offense should be much easier to defend with Juju replacing Tyreek.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Hes still going to put up big numbers but that offense should be much easier to defend with Juju replacing Tyreek.

It will be interesting to see.  Kelce will be 33 a month into the season and his numbers dipped noticeably last year.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But still why focus on that pick? I think that pick is defensible. There are tons of high GB picks in recent years that are not.

Dillon is a much worse pick than Love. It is undeniable. 

Read up thread.  This was rehashed because WEO brought how great the 2020 packers team was.  The same team that he said wouldn’t make the playoffs that year.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Read up thread.  This was rehashed because WEO brought how great the 2020 packers team was.  The same team that he said wouldn’t make the playoffs that year.  

Aaron Rodgers performance in the playoffs is the problem and has been other than his one SB win.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, BillsFan619 said:

#3 on the coaches, execs and players survey AND

currently the MVP favorite according to FanDuel AND

the scariest player to defend in 2022 according to Field Yates

If the JA17 we saw in the playoffs carries over into this season than there's no disputing this.

But I think there are probably still doubts he can play at that level consistently and why many NFL insiders still believe Mahomes is truly QB1 with a more steady hand over his career.

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the JA17 we saw in the playoffs carries over into this season than there's no disputing this.

But I think there are probably still doubts he can play at that level consistently and why many NFL insiders still believe Mahomes is truly QB1 with a more steady hand over his career.

First they said he can't improve his accuracy.  Then they said that no crowds helped him.  Now it's Daboll is gone.  He just keeps on rolling.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re insufferable……

Drafting Jordan love was insanely stupid 

can sum up how they had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers for 30 years and only have 2 SBs

28 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mahomes has had an offensive guru and better offensive talent around him 

not to mention his play has peaked … Having watched his last 40 starts I don’t see any more progress 

Josh is still on the incline while pat has peaked.. Mahomes is great but he’s not evolving as a quarterback

I think it’s clear to the people in the NFL that Josh is on that level and also getting better

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

can sum up how they had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers for 30 years and only have 2 SBs

Don’t talk legit facts in this convo.  You’re supposed to make up facts to prove your point….. like Tee Higgins definitely wouldn’t have made a difference.  

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

not to mention his play has peaked … Having watched his last 40 starts I don’t see any more progress 

Josh is still on the incline while pat has peaked.. Mahomes is great but he’s not evolving as a quarterback

I think it’s clear to the people in the NFL that Josh is on that level and also getting better

Allen presents more problems than Mahomes or anyone else at QB ever has

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Love was a bad pick, but it was in response to Rodgers having two consecutive down years (for him) after coming back from a broken collarbone. In hindsight the only tangible benefit was stoking the “prove them wrong” fire in Rodgers. A skill player at another position would have been a much better choice there. 

AJ Dillon is an entirely separate matter. They run a two back system and their power back (Jamaal Williams) was in the final year of his contract. Dillan was drafted to upgrade that role, not take over for Jones who can also line up at WR to exploit matchups. Jones also gets banged up frequently, so taking load off is crucial towards his health late in the season. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree that JA17 is likely still in ascent, but I don't agree that Mahomes is necessarily a finished product.

I think we'll find out the answer to both questions this year though as KC's offense is going to look very different with Hill gone and Kelce likely being taken out of the gameplan by opposing teams (not too mention he's getting up there in years to begin with) and Mahomes will need to find other guys more.

41 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I agree that JA17 is likely still in ascent, but I don't agree that Mahomes is necessarily a finished product.

I think we'll find out the answer to both questions this year though as KC's offense is going to look very different with Hill gone and Kelce likely being taken out of the gameplan by opposing teams (not too mention he's getting up there in years to begin with) and Mahomes will need to find other guys more.

Kelce has posted 6 straight 1,000+ yard seasons and 2 100+ catch seasons. As a Tight End. That's freaking ridiculous.

He is 32...Gronk was retired by this age...selfishly I hope he follows suit soon. Dude is a monster.

Edited by Big Turk

On 7/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Imagine Bills fans getting angry because someone says Aaron Rodgers is better than Josh Allen?

The good thing is Josh is actually in that conversation. People can make legitimate arguments why Josh is better.

But I’m sorry, he’s not better than Aaron Rodgers, yet.

I think the question was top scariest to defend in 2022. To me, it’s Allen, Mahomes, and then Rodgers. 

Allen is ascending, which is scary enough… and literally can do it ALL.  He played a perfect game against NE in the playoffs, and he was a one-man machine against KC (not to take anything away from Gabe Davis).  

Mahomes is incredible… but you throw a 7 yard in route to Tyreek Hill, and watch him go. Or let Kelce do his thing to defenses. Point being, compared to Allen, I don’t think Mahomes has to do as much himself for his team to win…. But it’s close. 

Rodgers is a beast and maybe throws the best ball in football, but he’s not as multidimensional as Allen… and Rodgers’ best days MAY be behind him, while I believe Allen’s are ahead. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.