Hyde & Poyer via Cover 1 with preface from Belichek

Chandler#81

Love this analysis.  These guys are the strength of the backend of the Bills defense. Tre is the best single player but he does not make the defense the way these guys do.  If the Bills are now able to get consistent pressure up front with their line changes (Miller being key) the defense has the chance to be a monster.

• Like (+1) 4

Excellent illustration of just how interchangeable Hyde and Poyer are.

2 different teams, same route, same result. Just that against the Cheats, it's Hyde with the interception, and against the Jest, it's Poyer. :)

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Love this analysis.  These guys are the strength of the backend of the Bills defense. Tre is the best single player but he does not make the defense the way these guys do.  If the Bills are now able to get consistent pressure up front with their line changes (Miller being key) the defense has the chance to be a monster.

I keep wondering 

If Tre we’re in the playoff game 

would that busted play with less than 13 seconds to go have been stopped.  

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Best safety duo in the league. 

Not disputable.

😝 you sure?  

Ya might want to ask Scott Law ;);) 😝 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean they had plenty of time to think of the defense considering they used TOs to situate the defense before each of those two plays happened to get them in FG range…. 

that doesn’t change the question at hand 

What IF Tre had been on the field?  

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

What IF Tre had been on the field?  

The simple answer is re-watch the AFC championship game from 2020 where Hill ate up Tre White.    Below is Tyreek Hills performance from that game.   4 minutes of Hill abusing Bills CB's........and quite notably, Tre White.  

The first play and 1:48 mark where Hill runs by White like he's standing still and the play after that where White just concedes a 3rd and 5 with a ridiculously scared cushion.     The problem in both of those games was a lack of finishing pass rush.......not the CB play.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The simple answer is re-watch the AFC championship game from 2020 where Hill ate up Tre White.    Below is Tyreek Hills performance from that game.   4 minutes of Hill abusing Bills CB's........and quite notably, Tre White.  

The first play and 1:48 mark where Hill runs by White like he's standing still and the play after that where White just concedes a 3rd and 5 with a ridiculously scared cushion.     The problem in both of those games was a lack of finishing pass rush.......not the CB play.     

Hyde & Poyer couldn’t stay with Hill either, even with correct angles given their position on the field. 
Newsflash: some people possess world class speed.

• Like (+1) 1

As great as Tre White is, he’s not a freakish athlete, he wins because his technique and knowledge of the game are supreme. When he goes up against physical freaks like Hill or DK Metcalf, they can beat him up for the better part of the game. Then again those freakish level WRs beat up just about every CB in today’s league.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

As great as Tre White is, he’s not a freakish athlete, he wins because his technique and knowledge of the game are supreme. When he goes up against physical freaks like Hill or DK Metcalf, they can beat him up for the better part of the game. Then again those freakish level WRs beat up just about every CB in today’s league.

Isn't it great that Hill is no longer on the Chiefs, and they replaced him with JuJu Smith-Schuster!

• Like (+1) 1

Even better, we have much more experience -albeit tough experience- playing Hill than Miami has seen so we know what can be expected. The Dolphins don’t. I expect them to add more receivers on the field in attempt to get him single covered. At least we know what to expect from him. We’ll continue to see him at least 2X every year going forward.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Isn't it great that Hill is no longer on the Chiefs, and they replaced him with JuJu Smith-Schuster!

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yeah, except now the Bills get him twice a year.  

The bad news is that there are a few great players in the league, and they're going to give you trouble.  Hill is one.  Donald is one   I'd guess that there are about ten all told. 

The really good news is that two of the ten are named Allen and Miller.   

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Even better, we have much more experience -albeit tough experience- playing Hill than Miami has seen so we know what can be expected. The Dolphins don’t. I expect them to add more receivers on the field in attempt to get him single covered. At least we know what to expect from him. We’ll continue to see him at least 2X every year going forward.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, except now the Bills get him twice a year.  

The bad news is that there are a few great players in the league, and they're going to give you trouble.  Hill is one.  Donald is one   I'd guess that there are about ten all told. 

The really good news is that two of the ten are named Allen and Miller.   

With the Division leaders playing each other and the Bills playing the Chiefs in the playoffs I still think the trade of Hill benefited Buffalo.

35 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hyde & Poyer couldn’t stay with Hill either, even with correct angles given their position on the field. 
Newsflash: some people possess world class speed.

Exactly.    

And if you give Mahomes and Hill time..........it doesn't matter who was at CB........they were getting beaten that day.

This idea that Tre White would have been the difference in that game is thoroughly unsupported............they simply didn't make the plays in the front 7 that day that would have made the secondary effective enough to change the results.  

Funny how Bills fans know this is the case with Allen and Diggs versus, say,  JC Jackson.

But oh no.........Tre White can cover Tyreek Hill for 4 seconds snap after snap for 4+ quarters.

Right. 

Jalen Ramsey is about as good as it gets actually matched up against receivers in the NFL and he got famously burned REPEATEDLY  in the playoffs and Super Bowl too.

Elite offense done right is a handful..........which makes over-investing in defense a suspect approach.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wow that's the most i've ever heard BB say at a news conference & it's all about our guys so that's got to tell us all something from a respect issue i ope we can string together as many years of being his daddy for a pay back of sorts but it's nice to here him say good things about our team that's got to hurt him a bit !! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, T master said:

Wow that's the most i've ever heard BB say at a news conference & it's all about our guys so that's got to tell us all something from a respect issue i ope we can string together as many years of being his daddy for a pay back of sorts but it's nice to here him say good things about our team that's got to hurt him a bit !! 

It’s not often BB gives the time of day to reporters questions, but when he does; Pure Gold

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

While I don't disagree with the above the Bills played White noticeably differently in the regular season game. He gave up very little cushion and played more physical while they flooded the intermediate zones more. I thought they had nailed their anti-KC plan. Without Tre they reverted somewhat to that AFCCG plan. They didn't trust their other corners and I believe that was the moment that made their draft minds up for them.

Not that I disagree with you on finishing pass rush mind you. If you have been flying that plane for 2 years I have at worst been first officer. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean they had plenty of time to think of the defense considering they used TOs to situate the defense before each of those two plays happened to get them in FG range…. 

plus Kelce called out the play.

twice.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

While I don't disagree with the above the Bills played White noticeably differently in the regular season game. He gave up very little cushion and played more physical while they flooded the intermediate zones more. I thought they had nailed their anti-KC plan. Without Tre they reverted somewhat to that AFCCG plan. They didn't trust their other corners and I believe that was the moment that made their draft minds up for them.

Not that I disagree with you on finishing pass rush mind you. If you have been flying that plane for 2 years I have at worst been first officer. 

Yeah, they could afford to play White tighter because the front 7 was making plays.    They actually started the AFCCG with White pressing Hill but without the front 7 getting to Mahomes, he was soon playing upwards of 10 yards off the ball at times.

The other thing about that first game last season in KC...........KC spent much of the rest of the season playing against similar defensive gameplans and after a month or so of obstinence about taking what they were being given.......they got better against it.    As great as we all felt after that first win against KC........seeing Tennessee obliterate them and clearly lesser teams forcing them to turn the ball over repeatedly put in perspective just how out of sorts the KC offense was at the time.

That said........if the front 7 was as effective in the second meeting as they had been in the regular season contest.......and granted, it's not every game you will get a one-handed interception at the LOS by a DE like Rousseau..........then  it would have been a W.    Tre White or not.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, they could afford to play White tighter because the front 7 was making plays.    They actually started the AFCCG with White pressing Hill but without the front 7 getting to Mahomes, he was soon playing upwards of 10 yards off the ball at times.

The other thing about that first game last season in KC...........KC spent much of the rest of the season playing against similar defensive gameplans and after a month or so of obstinence about taking what they were being given.......they got better against it.    As great as we all felt after that first win against KC........seeing Tennessee obliterate them and clearly lesser teams forcing them to turn the ball over repeatedly put in perspective just how out of sorts the KC offense was at the time.

That said........if the front 7 was as effective in the second meeting as they had been in the regular season contest.......and granted, it's not every game you will get a one-handed interception at the LOS by a DE like Rousseau..........then  it would have been a W.    Tre White or not.   

I don't disagree because we were 1 play away. But that one play COULD have been made by Tre. Or it COULD have been made by a pass rusher. When it is one play asking "what if our best defensive player was put there?" is not unreasonable. 

And sure KC were not at their best when we beat them. But they were not at their best in the playoffs either. Mahomes stunk against Cincy - it was the main reason they lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree because we were 1 play away. But that one play COULD have been made by Tre. Or it COULD have been made by a pass rusher. When it is one play asking "what if our best defensive player was put there?" is not unreasonable. 

And sure KC were not at their best when we beat them. But they were not at their best in the playoffs either. Mahomes stunk against Cincy - it was the main reason they lost. 

I think you are mis-remembering.

KC scored 42 points versus Pitt.......42 points versus Buffalo(570 yards offense).......and 21 points in the first two quarters versus Cinci.

One of the most dynamic stretches of offensive football in the playoffs in NFL history.

Then it all fell apart when Mahomes had brain lock at the goal line in the closing seconds of the half in the AFCCG as they appeared all but certain to put up their 4th TD of that half.

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

More evidence that BB is softening up/opening up as opposed to his smug old self. The locker room compliments to Allen followed by this complimentary analysis of a division rivals players is refreshing to hear. There was never any doubt that he is one of the smartest coaches ever but i dont recall him praising an opponent's player with regularity (besides the standard pre-game "they are a tough opponent" rote line)

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you are mis-remembering.

KC scored 42 points versus Pitt.......42 points versus Buffalo(570 yards offense).......and 21 points in the first two quarters versus Cinci.

One of the most dynamic stretches of offensive football in the playoffs in NFL history.

Then it all fell apart when Mahomes had brain lock at the goal line in the closing seconds of the half in the AFCCG as they appeared all but certain to put up their 4th TD of that half.

I think Bengals changed there defense in second half to more 3 pass rushers with a QB spy. But could be wrong. Haven't went back to see details after days day after Bengals and chiefs game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I like the addition of Kair Elam to the Bills' defensive backfield.  He has the best speed and length of all the Bills' defensive backs, except maybe Nick McCloud.  He's had some lapses in his on field work at Florida, but Buffalo is good at coaching up their young DBs.  If Elam can develop to his potential, they Bills might be better able to match up with big athletic receivers like DK Metcalf than they have in the past. That has been a hole in the Bills' defense for a while.  But, of course, that's why they drafted him.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I think Bengals changed there defense in second half to more 3 pass rushers with a QB spy. But could be wrong. Haven't went back to see details after days day after Bengals and chiefs game.

They did but I was responding to GB saying the Chiefs were not at their best offensively in the playoffs.

They were probably the hottest post-merger offense the NFL has ever seen thru the first 10 quarters(and a possession) of a playoff season.

They were on pace to score 42-44 points per game until the wheels came off at the Bengals goal line in the closing seconds of the half in that AFCCG.  

They had eschewed the field goal opportunity and Mahomes inexplicably ran out the clock when they were trying to punch in their 4th TD of the half.

I think the NFL record average was 42 points per game in a playoff run.......also 3 games........by the 85' Bears and 89' Niners..........both of those padded by huge SB blowouts(and defensive touchdowns) against overmatched AFC opponents.........but I haven't combed each playoff season. 

After that bonehead play Mahomes went into a coma on the field.   I give the Bengals a lot of credit,  and especially LB Logan Wilson for not getting worked over like a camp body the way Tremaine Edmunds was by Mahomes...........but Mahomes just flat-out got the yips and was missing throws he never missed in his entire career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

KC scored 42 points versus Pitt

That's after they got stopped on 5 consecutive drives to start the game, one of which ended with a pick, another of which ended with a fumble returned for a TD. The issue in that game is that Pittsburgh's offense did nothing with the gift handed to them by the defense and once KC starting scoring their will was broken. Imagine if our defense had stopped them on 5 drives in the entire game, let alone 5 consecutive drives to start the game. It would have been a Bills blowout.

You're not going to convince anyone that the absence of our best defensive player, one of our three elite players last year, had no impact on a one score game that ended on an admitted mistake from the #2 CB. You can use literally any argument or any numbers you want. I don't care about a different game from the prior season. The premise on the face of it is absurd and you know this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I like the addition of Kair Elam to the Bills' defensive backfield.  He has the best speed and length of all the Bills' defensive backs, except maybe Nick McCloud.  He's had some lapses in his on field work at Florida, but Buffalo is good at coaching up their young DBs.  If Elam can develop to his potential, they Bills might be better able to match up with big athletic receivers like DK Metcalf than they have in the past. That has been a hole in the Bills' defense for a while.  But, of course, that's why they drafted him.

Adding Elam HAS to make the defense better.

Between signing the best pass rusher money could buy this offseason........ and having a DL loaded with 4 of their own recent first and second round picks plus several free agents they have paid starting money to in order try to have the deepest DT position in the NFL............and having 6 of their back 7 playing in long term contracts that they signed with the team..........And NOW the 7th member of that back end being a first round pick in Elam..........on paper this ought to be the best defense in team history(relative to the league of that time).

They NEED to be awesome or they've made an error investing so heavily into that side of the ball.

As I'm sure some of you know by now.........my preference was to add to the offense and try to become the first NFL team to average 38 points per game in a season.   If that meant the defense regressing back to middle of the league, as it was in 2020........so be it.    They got farther in 2020 than they did in 2021(when they had a top ranked D).

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's after they got stopped on 5 consecutive drives to start the game, one of which ended with a pick, another of which ended with a fumble returned for a TD. The issue in that game is that Pittsburgh's offense did nothing with the gift handed to them by the defense and once KC starting scoring their will was broken. Imagine if our defense had stopped them on 5 drives in the entire game, let alone 5 consecutive drives to start the game. It would have been a Bills blowout.

You're not going to convince anyone that the absence of our best defensive player, one of our three elite players last year, had no impact on a one score game that ended on an admitted mistake from the #2 CB. You can use literally any argument or any numbers you want. I don't care about a different game from the prior season. The premise on the face of it is absurd and you know this.

Don't give me some "5 drives" bullsh*t.

The Chiefs averaged 35.4 points in their last 5 regular season games.......they were tearing defenses up down the stretch.........and then they averaged 36 in the playoffs despite their second half collapse in the AFCCG.

Both of those figures would have blown away the league's leading scoring team(31.2)..........and 8 f*cking games isn't some small sample size it's damn near half a regular season.    

But you are telling me the Chiefs weren't playing very well offensively in the playoffs?

GTFOH.:lol:

They torched the Bills defense without Tre White in January 2022 just like they had with him in the AFCCG in January 2021.

I argue with facts and give statistical evidence to back it up..........you guys argue with your hearts.

The Chiefs played almost the entire divisional round game without Tyrann Mathieu...........does anyone here say that maybe having an All Pro safety might have helped the Chiefs in that game?   Of course not.  :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

Don't give me some "5 drives" bullsh*t.

The Chiefs averaged 35.4 points in their last 5 regular season games.......they were tearing defenses up down the stretch.........and then they averaged 36 in the playoffs despite their second half collapse in the AFCCG.

Both of those figures would have blown away the league's leading scoring team(31.2)..........and 8 f*cking games isn't some small sample size it's damn near half a regular season.    

But you are telling me the Chiefs weren't playing very well offensively in the playoffs?

GTFOH.:lol:

They torched the Bills defense without Tre White in January 2022 just like they had with him in the AFCCG in January 2021.

I argue with facts and give statistical evidence to back it up..........you guys argue with your hearts.

The Chiefs played almost the entire divisional round game without Tyrann Mathieu...........does anyone here say that maybe having an All Pro safety might have helped the Chiefs in that game?   Of course not.  :rolleyes:

CTFD! Who the hell died and made you Jesus?!? You are informed but by no means the end-all authority you tell the mirror you are.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 2021 Tre was covering Kelce most of the time. Kelce caught the pass that set up the FG. It's not crazy to wonder if Tre could of stopped that play from happening.

59 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

In 2021 Tre was covering Kelce most of the time. Kelce caught the pass that set up the FG. It's not crazy to wonder if Tre could of stopped that play from happening.

Well the clip I posted above disproves that.   

Hill owned him.........83% completion and rating well over 100 that day.............and that is WITH a huge, wide open drop by Hill after he burned White in press coverage for what  should have been another 30 yard completion in the first clip in the video.    

The one play where Hill takes the short pass in front of White at minute 1:48.....probably the worst looking play of Tre Whites' NFL career.

He takes a bad angle,  looking like he is running in cement compared to Hill,  and gives up the sideline......looking exactly like what happened to the Bills DB's late in the divisional game.   Only that time the safety help minimized the gash and saved Tre from being near the top of Hill's all-time career highlight reel.    

He was truly awful that day...........but as I've said..........any DB was going to struggle with the inability of the Bills front 7 to make plays in either of those games.

The biggest difference between the secondary play in the divisional loss versus the AFCCG loss?    The fact that the defense had to play 25% more snaps.    They totally fell apart AFTER they got gassed,  instead of in the first half as they did in the AFCCG.

An otherwise modestly improved effort on defense in the divisional round turned into a repeat performance of ineptitude in those last 15 snaps or so.

But the Chiefs can make the same argument.   Bills got hot late........got back in the game.......briefly held the lead.    If they had Mathieu I am sure they think they win that game by a couple scores in regulation.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

We've been really spoiled as fans with this safety combo. We have 1-2 yrs more of it. They make this Defense work.

Hoping some of the young guys can leech every bit of knowledge from Poyer and Hyde. I would not be surprised to see either or both be coaches after. VEry smart players with just enough physical talent left (both over 30) to make teams pay.

I was surprised Buffalo didn't draft a top 5-10 S prospect in what was a deep S class, so they could learn, and in worse case scenario play with one of the the S.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.