Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We need corners so bad we probably should take 2 in the first four rounds.  Thats how bare our cupboard is at CB right now.  If we dont take one in the first, then I its practically 100% we take one in the 2nd.  And if we shockingly pass on a CB again, I bet we take 2 in a row in 3rd and 4th.

Beane does love taking the BPA, so when we take one I am sure has a lot to do with how the draft falls too.  But I think the most likely pick in the first is a CB for obvious reasons.  And I do expect at least 2 taken in the draft.

Now if we sign someone or trade for someone ahead of the draft, that would obviously change things.

I seriously expect a CB signing before the draft. It’s how Beane rolls. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We need corners so bad we probably should take 2 in the first four rounds.  Thats how bare our cupboard is at CB right now.  If we dont take one in the first, then I its practically 100% we take one in the 2nd.  And if we shockingly pass on a CB again, I bet we take 2 in a row in 3rd and 4th.

Beane does love taking the BPA, so when we take one I am sure has a lot to do with how the draft falls too.  But I think the most likely pick in the first is a CB for obvious reasons.  And I do expect at least 2 taken in the draft.

Now if we sign someone or trade for someone ahead of the draft, that would obviously change things.

Taron Johnson and Siran Neal are locks for SCB1 and SCB2...........and Tre White and Dane Jackson are the starters outside...........so your 3rd and 4th outside CB's BOTH have to be first round or day 2 picks or your cupboard is bare??    In a zone based system?

If the cupboard is bare at CB what does that make the OL cupboard with the only backup not yet proven to be trash is Tommy Doyle........and HIS stat line was 1 snap and 1 sack allowed at LT last season?:lol:

Or how about the WR cupboard where outside WR3 is the 30 year old undrafted journeyman Jake Kumerow?

There is a lack of quality depth behind starters at several positions...........CB has been the one position of those that the Bills have proven to be best at getting quality play out of low pedigree draft talent...........but bad OL and bad WR play have been catastrophic at times during the McD era.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

We have too many picks already - I'd be thrilled if they traded up to get the top CB on their board.

I agree we have too many picks but it’s gonna take premium picks to get higher in the first round and I don’t want to lost them. Move up in the 3rd or 4th. Sure spend those later picks. But moving up in the first is gonna cost more than I want to give up

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So then what if it’s the 6th best cb when the Bills pick? Do you still HAVE to take a cb? 

No! 

5 hours ago, Vickveto said:

I don’t believe that at all Tariq Woolen finished with a perfect RAS score and great senior bowl. I love Jalen Pitre  straight playmaker. Kalon Barnes legit 4.2 speed we could use him against Miami. Lastly I don’t think booth is a 1 round lock he has injury concerns. He could go as late as the middle of the second.

If your 40 time made you a good football player the radiers would have more rings than the pats right now.

Trading up for Stingley or Sauce is inticing…

but how about moving up for Thibodeaux instead. He is a game wrecker. Von and him along with Rousseau rotating is an extremely good Edge group.  That kind of consistent pressure helps your secondary.

Draft a CB like Alontae Taylor in mid rounds to be coached up behind a UFA Vet this year

This regime has shown they can take a Undrafted CB and make him into a decent player….

they may not hold a premium value on the position like many fans think they should

Edited by Warriorspikes51

So, let’s say the Jets draft Sauce at #5. That would free up Brandin Echols or Bryce Hall which would make sense as a #2 CB in a trade for maybe a 2nd or ideally a 3rd. I could support a move like this, or similar.

what say you?

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Taron Johnson and Siran Neal are locks for SCB1 and SCB2...........and Tre White and Dane Jackson are the starters outside...........so your 3rd and 4th outside CB's BOTH have to be first round or day 2 picks or your cupboard is bare??    In a zone based system?

If the cupboard is bare at CB what does that make the OL cupboard with the only backup not yet proven to be trash is Tommy Doyle........and HIS stat line was 1 snap and 1 sack allowed at LT last season?:lol:

Or how about the WR cupboard where outside WR3 is the 30 year old undrafted journeyman Jake Kumerow?

There is a lack of quality depth behind starters at several positions...........CB has been the one position of those that the Bills have proven to be best at getting quality play out of low pedigree draft talent...........but bad OL and bad WR play have been catastrophic at times during the McD era.

First of all, Tre is not back and we don’t know when he will be back.  And once he’s back, he may not get back to form for a while, maybe the whole year.  

Second, Dane filled in ok, but to bank on him as a starter, and possibly the number 1 starter if Tre misses part of the season, is a lot to ask.

Maybe you missed it, but Dolphins have probably the fastest offense in the NFL right now and are in our division.  The AFC west is loaded.  Titans and Colts made moves.  Bengals and Ravens are tough.

To enter the season with ONE starting corner, one whose been solid but not great, is going to be a problem.  

Bottom line…if you don’t think CB is our current biggest need on this team then you don’t really know much about this team.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First of all, Tre is not back and we don’t know when he will be back.  And once he’s back, he may not get back to form for a while, maybe the whole year.  

Second, Dane filled in ok, but to bank on him as a starter, and possibly the number 1 starter if Tre misses part of the season, is a lot to ask.

Maybe you missed it, but Dolphins have probably the fastest offense in the NFL right now and are in our division.  The AFC west is loaded.  Titans and Colts made moves.  Bengals and Ravens are tough.

To enter the season with ONE starting corner, one whose been solid but not great, is going to be a problem.  

Bottom line…if you don’t think CB is our current biggest need on this team then you don’t really know much about this team.  

The #1 objective of any franchise should be to protect and support up their franchise QB...........if they get hurt or underperform.......nothing else really matters.......you aren't winning.

The Bills defense was #1 last season.......on the strength of pass defense............and that was with UDFA Levi Wallace starting at one position and without Von Miller, Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips.  

The Bills offensive line meanwhile.........allowed 125 combined pressures and sacks..........they were arguably the worst pass blocking unit in the league.........and they did not improve their personnel in that aspect in trading out Daryl Williams for Rodger Saffold.   Saffold did not grade out well in pass pro.

And during their mid-season slump one GLARING need that was evident was a fast receiver who could get YAC..........the Bills ranked LAST in the NFL in YAC and have subtracted from their WR corps and haven't added any notable YAC talent.

So while your opinion is that the Bills defense can't possibly defend well enough without better CB play than they had last season............that doesn't jive with the facts that we know about this team.

So while you think you can see the future........... clearly I know more facts about this team than you.

Like most people I expect the Bills to address the CB position with a veteran who will probably be better than Levi Wallace was.    I also expect them to draft one in the first 3 rounds to develop.........not necessarily expecting them to play every snap like a 1st rounder would be expected to.    I also expect one of Lewis, McCloud and Griffin to stick and one or both of the others to be on the PS and to be able to step in and provide adequate play behind a good pass rush.   This has always happened under McDermott.

So while CB is definitely a position they need more depth at.........that has literally been said every year since McDermott arrived and it hasn't proven to be at the top of their weaknesses in ANY of those seasons.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The #1 objective of any franchise should be to protect and support up their franchise QB...........if they get hurt or underperform.......nothing else really matters.......you aren't winning.

The Bills defense was #1 last season.......on the strength of pass defense............and that was with UDFA Levi Wallace starting at one position and without Von Miller, Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips.  

The Bills offensive line meanwhile.........allowed 125 combined pressures and sacks..........they were arguably the worst pass blocking unit in the league.........and they did not improve their personnel in that aspect in trading out Daryl Williams for Rodger Saffold.   Saffold did not grade out well in pass pro.

And during their mid-season slump one GLARING need that was evident was a fast receiver who could get YAC..........the Bills ranked LAST in the NFL in YAC and have subtracted from their WR corps and haven't added any notable YAC talent.

So while your opinion is that the Bills defense can't possibly defend well enough without better CB play than they had last season............that doesn't jive with the facts that we know about this team.

So while you think you can see the future........... clearly I know more facts about this team than you.

Like most people I expect the Bills to address the CB position with a veteran who will probably be better than Levi Wallace was.    I also expect them to draft one in the first 3 rounds to develop.........not necessarily expecting them to play every snap like a 1st rounder would be expected to.    I also expect one of Lewis, McCloud and Griffin to stick and one or both of the others to be on the PS and to be able to step in and provide adequate play behind a good pass rush.   This has always happened under McDermott.

So while CB is definitely a position they need more depth at.........that has literally been said every year since McDermott arrived and it hasn't proven to be at the top of their weaknesses in ANY of those seasons.  

I agree that the Bills still have needs on the offensive side of the ball - most notably on OL as well as needing to continue to take shots in the draft at improving our receiving corps.  (I think the mid-season slump wasn't caused by lack of a YAC WR and wouldn't have been fixed by one dropping in from the sky, but Another Day, Another Discussion)

That said, while I'm No Way a fan of a big trade up that costs us draft picks, a cogent argument can be made that while the Bills defense has been good enough to win enough regular season games with the CB play we have had...it hasn't been good enough to CLINCH THE DEAL against some of the better teams and in the playoffs.

Yes, McDermott runs a DB-friendly system, and it's been able to handle plugging in a lesser player at CB #2.  That said, when we had two lesser players on the field in Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson, it didn't work well enough to stop KC in the divisional round or even slow them down too much.  And expect new Miami coach Mike McDaniel to be power-studying that film.   It doesn't seem too arguable that better pass rush alone won't seal the deal against teams that have both a run and a pass threat, and that employ the quick passing game to get the ball out before the best pass rush can get there.

The bottom line is that McDermott's defenses have historically been very good, but not Good Enough.  Sure, we need to protect and support the QB...but Championship teams do need a defense as well.

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

Bradberry is still too expensive once NYG keeps his bonus and restructure as dead cap. Even then would need to give Bills a good draft pick to take his salary.   jmo 

$13,400,000 base salary ,  $3M bonus , $5,363,889 restructure

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/james-bradberry-19011/

But the rumor was the Giants would eat half the salary in a trade.  We would give up a lower draft pick and maybe a recent rookie who is on a cheap contract (Epenesa or Moss) - this would be big cost saving moves for the Giants.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm fine with a cb in the first - but not if its some... 2nd/3rd round talent we have to reach for.  I think oline is a huge need though.  Boettger stinks, ford really stinks, and bates has barely played LG let alone RG where he's now the starter.  Brown played alright at times, but he gets penalties, and shouldn't just be plugged right in at RT without some competition.  I don't even know who the swing tackle is behind them, doyle?  Great..  Our backup Center very likely sucks - i've never seen him play but... i don't see why I'd count on him as anything other than roster fodder.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills have tried the veteran WR route the last few seasons, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, and those guys are broke down by the end of the year. 

I think Crowder is going to be the same way, most likely he's declining. 

This team needs more playmakers at WR. 

I think McKenzie has potential, but this Coaching staff has never made getting him the ball consistently a priority. 

Yes, Gabe should move into the #2 role right now, but again, this Coaching staff has been reluctant to put him on the field, even last year when it was obvious Emmanuel Sanders was out of gas after Week 8. 

Also, the Bills don't seem to be learning at RB either, again signing washed up veterans. Tolbert, Ivory, Gore, Yeldon, Breida, McKissic and now Duke Johnson. It's over for Zack Moss, leaving just Singletary as any sort of reliable player. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

I think Booth is the likely pick at 25 if he is there. Personally, I would trade up to try and secure Jameson Williams. I am fairly certain KC and GB will be thinking about it among other teams. If we go CB in the first, we better be prepared to trade up in the second to get Pickens, Skyy Moore, or Christian Watson if he somehow falls into the second. Strengthening the Oline remains a concern as well, but I like the idea of adding a wr that combines top line speed who is developed enough already to not be a complete project to the arsenal available to Josh Allen. We should try to emulate the kind of pressure and stress Mahomes with Kelce and Hill was able to bring to every game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’m not opposed to a good OL in the first, but generally you want a T in the 1st not G.  I don’t think that any of the top OTs will be around at 25.  Would you stretch for Tyler Smith who can play G and then maybe challenge Spencer Brown next year?  Do you take Green or Johnson?  Greek played some T in college (I think), but he doesn’t look to me like he is capable of doing that in the NFL.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.