Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, but the key to the deal was always AAV.  The Bills are up against it, but they still have moves to free up money if they want.

I think the Bills would of found a way to match even if it had been 8 million this year (rather than 1st 2 years) - they would of just had to do more moving this year of contracts.

The only way the Bears win out in this is if the offer had been at an AAV that put Bates close to where Williams was 8-10 AAV for limited work.  

A deal with huge upfront costs hurts the Bills a bit, but gives them flexibility later in the contract.

This is what I think happened:

• Beane tendered Bates at the lowest level cuz he didn't think he'd attract all that much attention - this turned out to be be incorrect.
  • Beane should have put the 2nd round tender on him.  It would have cost a bit more than the $2m lower level tender but would have dissuaded other clubs from attempting to sign him 'cuz nobody's giving up a 2nd rounder for him.
  • In the end Beane pays a bit more this year for Bates than he wanted, but the good thing is they get him for 4 years at a reasonable contract instead of 1 year (having to go through this all again in a year).
  • Contrary to what some have said here, I think he did grade out very well in his starts at LG.  Singletary took off around the same time Bates got in the lineup.  Big Q is can he play RG as well as he did LG?  Personally, I have more concern with Brown at LT than i have with Bates at LG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think we need to get a guard and center in house this year. I am not sure Morse plays 2024. $11.5M cap and $2.5M dead dead money. Not that I don't think he is great, and he certainly isn't old. But his eggs are pretty scrambled with 5 concussions. He could (rightfully) decide to bow out at any time or the decision may be taken out of his hands completely. 

People were saying all of 2021 that Morse was going to retire at the end of last season….I think some underestimate this guy

When did Morse have his last concussion?

I recall that people have been talking about his concussions since he got here  but he has seemed pretty durable to me these past couple of years..

However…I don’t think he will be here either come 2024…particular at those numbers …but the concussion thing probably won’t be the reason… 

I don’t think Center is a need now this season… I would roll the dice and push it out to next year… Assume Bates is the backup C in 2022…

• Agree 1

• Simon changed the title to Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

There is no debating that our OL turned a big corner when Bates entered the starting lineup last year, its as significantly improved.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and moving Bates into the starting lineup stabilized the whole line.  

With Saffold and Bates at the guard spots, Dawkins and Brown on the edges and Morse manning the middle I think we can expect good things from the line this year, especially with the major upgrade in terms OL Coaching they will receive.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Oh...and no ability to restructure?

Correct - can't restructure it until next year.  I really like this signing - I didn't think we'd match and he was really really good last year.  He's got a lot of quick in his game and Kromer will utilize this - a lot of pulling, probably a lot of zone blocking.  Bates and the new LG we signed are really athletic. The guys we cut free, Feliciano and Williams were not.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

This is what I think happened:

• Beane tendered Bates at the lowest level cuz he didn't think he'd attract all that much attention - this turned out to be be incorrect.
  • Beane should have put the 2nd round tender on him.  It would have cost a bit more than the $2m lower level tender but would have dissuaded other clubs from attempting to sign him 'cuz nobody's giving up a 2nd rounder for him.
  • In the end Beane pays a bit more this year for Bates than he wanted, but the good thing is they get him for 4 years at a reasonable contract instead of 1 year (having to go through this all again in a year).
  • Contrary to what some have said here, I think he did grade out very well in his starts at LG.  Singletary took off around the same time Bates got in the lineup.  Big Q is can he play RG as well as he did LG?  Personally, I have more concern with Brown at LT than i have with Bates at LG

I don’t think so, but without Beane here - I can not prove it.

I think the Bills wanted a long term deal and Bates and company wanted to hit FA - so they would not want a long term deal without testing the market.  

I think Beane knew if he tendered him at the 2nd round and no one bit - Bates would be cheaper this year, but now you have a full years tape and his cost would have been significantly higher going forward - so that was the worse option.

Using the right to match - allowed Bates to go out and create a deal that he felt comfortable agreeing to long term and if the AAV was right - Beane could match and the work was done.  

If he garnered little attention - you could offer up a longer term deal and if he did get offer sheeted - you can see how it fits.

I think Beane played it right and makes Bates happier because he got a longer term deal and more at market value and Beane got him locked in before the tape and Kroger make him better.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

7-8M is pretty nuts for a guy like Bates. He’s started 5 games and didn’t grade out very well.

When the Bills first put the low tender on Bates I thought the intention was to basically get him to negotiate his own long term deal instead of the 1-and-done or big against yourself options.   

Beane got poled by Poles........but just the tip.

I think they were probably hoping for 2 years $7M or 3 years $10M and were probably prepared to do a 3 year $12M deal..........basically the 2nd round tender times 3........... but Poles went to 4 years(not a big deterrent, IMO) and the extra $250K per year(the tip).  

There was some speculation on here by those who would draft a guard in round 1 that the deal was going to be $5M-$6.5M aav........but that was NONSENSE!.........nobody pays an RFA that much above the second round tender.     Poles would've looked like an idiot if he had offered that.

This situation brought back memories of the Jauron/Levy Bills signing big DL Israel Idonije and G Reggie Wells to offer sheets in 2006 only to have Chicago and Arizona gladly match and thank those dumbassbills for negotiating the deals for them.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is no debating that our OL turned a big corner when Bates entered the starting lineup last year, its as significantly improved.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and moving Bates into the starting lineup stabilized the whole line.  

With Saffold and Bates at the guard spots, Dawkins and Brown on the edges and Morse manning the middle I think we can expect good things from the line this year, especially with the major upgrade in terms OL Coaching they will receive.

The only caveat is that he was on the left side last year..

From what I have read Saffold is LG leaving an inexperienced pairing of Bates and Brown on the right….

Anyway… it’s obvious they like both of them so onwards and upwards..

8 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Oh...and no ability to restructure?

I believe he has to play out year 1 on the deal signed.  I believe if they want to restructure it can not happen until next year.

My guess is after year 1 the Bills are happy with the contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree. Brown needs to improve at RT this year, and i think he will.  Asking a 3rd round pick to start at RT as a rookie (especially one from a small program) is asking a lot.  He struggled a ton, which would be expected, but Josh bailed him out a lot.  Josh had one of the highest pressure rates in the NFL.  It's one of  the subtle differences between a Josh Allen and Joe Burrow.  You pressure Josh and more often than not he escape; you pressure Burrow and more often than not he's sacked.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think so, but without Beane here - I can not prove it.

I think the Bills wanted a long term deal and Bates and company wanted to hit FA - so they would not want a long term deal without testing the market.  

I think Beane knew if he tendered him at the 2nd round and no one bit - Bates would be cheaper this year, but now you have a full years tape and his cost would have been significantly higher going forward - so that was the worse option.

Using the right to match - allowed Bates to go out and create a deal that he felt comfortable agreeing to long term and if the AAV was right - Beane could match and the work was done.  

If he garnered little attention - you could offer up a longer term deal and if he did get offer sheeted - you can see how it fits.

I think Beane played it right and makes Baes happier because he got a longer term deal and more at market value and Beane got him locked in before the tape and Kroger make him better.

good theory - quite possible

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Edit: it wasn’t me. But you know who you are

Excellent uses of Sunny meme - stevewin approves

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve been very vocal all offseason about how stretchy cap space is but I have no idea where this cap space is coming from unless some moves haven’t been announced yet.

🤷‍♂️

Clearly we are trading Josh Allen for Baker Mayfield. 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's $4.25M a year for 4 years.

Bates/his agent(s) probably came to the Bills with an ask higher than what the 2nd round tender was so Beane had him find his true market value.  He got it and matched.

Maybe, maybe not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.