Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont understand how any of this works.....my math is broken

We won’t know until we see the entire contract, but the idea is that the Bears had a little over 8.8 million for the first 2 years - so if split evenly- 4.4 in year 1 would be his cost.

Currently the Bills had to save a placeholder for his Tendered money of 2.8 million in the salary cap. 

So they new deal would only add the difference between 4.4 (new cost) and 2.8 already accounted for.  

So an increase of around 2 million depending upon the final contract numbers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

We won’t know until we see the entire contract, but the idea is that the Bears had a little over 8.8 million for the first 2 years - so if split evenly- 4.4 in year 1 would be his cost.

Currently the Bills had to save a placeholder for his Tendered money of 2.4 million in the salary cap. 

So they new deal would only add the difference between 4.4 (new cost) and 2.4 already accounted for.  

So an increase of around 2 million depending upon the final contract numbers.

FYP.

Just now, finn said:

What would the Bills be paying him if they had offered him a second-round tender? Just wondering if that was just a flat-out mistake not to. 

$3.98M for 1 year. 

Then he'd be a UFA next season with a good chance he gets a bigger deal than he did here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

At this point I'd be surprised if our 1st round pick is anything other than CB or WR. That seems to be where the need will match the value.

Yep, fill the CB void, add a solid new/cheap guy to the WR room…….and move to the NFC and we have NAILED the off-season!   :)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, finn said:

What would the Bills be paying him if they had offered him a second-round tender? Just wondering if that was just a flat-out mistake not to. 

I believe the figure was $3.9M.

Beane lost the battle........that shouldn't be contested..........but if Bates pans out he will have won the war. 

My big issue with letting Bates walk is that it's so often lamented that even early drafted OL stink for the first few years in the league............so losing Bates on the cheap only to have to replace him with an early pick after you spent all that time seasoning him would have been a SMH situation.

(Actual footage of Bates being seasoned)

seasoning.gif

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Final grades on this situation will be pending the contract details, but I have to say it looks like a minor mistake on Beane's part to not go for the 2nd rd tender. 

It will be interesting. IF he plays really good this year we'll have him locked in for a bit.

Still, def a gamble and something that could backfire.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.