Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

This is fantastic news.  First of all, our OL is SET for this year!!!

Second of all, our OL has 3 out of 5 positions SET for years to come!!!

If you develop a player like Bates, you don't just let him go.  Glad Beane did this.  We'll have to find a replacement for Saffold next year and Morse a couple years down the line, but I think this is fantastic!

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

So looks like he'll only count an additional $2 million on our cap this year (give or take a couple hundred thousand). Not bad at all. We might not need any additional restructures to fit him in after all.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd heard potentially as much as $7-8m in 2022!

That may be, but if as was discussed the AAV is still around 4 million over 4 years you are talking 3 later years at less than 3 million per. 

Therefore you kick the can this year and get a great deal in years 2, 3, and 4 on him.

Beane had an AAV in mind and the way the Bears structure it has minimal impact if the AAV is in the acceptable range.

Teams no longer have the ability to truly poison pill a contract - teams have found ways to move money around with great effect.

They used to add contract statements making him the highest paid Lineman to discourage matching, but when the NFL blocked that and made the rule matching dollars - it has become easier to match these contracts.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

I wonder, did Beane overplay his hand with Bates at all?  He probably could have offered him less, and he would have been happy to sign a contract, knowing that he was was returning. But he let Bates go out and find another team to draw up a contract for him.  It looks as though the Bears structured a deal they didn't think the Bills would match.  Glad he is back, but wondering if this is one of those few times where Beane got a little too cocky.

Edited by Buftex
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

At this point I'd be surprised if our 1st round pick is anything other than CB or WR. That seems to be where the need will match the value.

Yes.  

And there's something I keep thinking about that I think people don't see.  Beane professes to be, and I believe he is, strictly BPA in the first round.  He will take the BPA on his board, every time, in the first round.   However, that doesn't mean that he isn't thinking need.   Need is what causes him to trade picks.   If the BPA at his first-round pick is seriously someone he doesn't need, he won't take the BPA, and he won't take someone else.   He'll trade out of that pick.  

So, what I said about corner applies equally to WR.   I think what we'll see is Beane trade up in the first round to a place where the BPA also happens to be a position of need.  That is, he'll trade up for a corner or a receiver.   Maybe 25 to 20.   Trade a third or a fourth with the first to move up.  If he does that, we're all going to bed happy on the first night of the draft, because there's going to be a stud receiver or corner joining the team.  

One of the reasons he'll do this is that there aren't going to be many rookies making this team, so trading a pick or two is a smart move - why save a pick that will be used on a guy who's going to get cut instead of trading that pick to make it possible to move up for a player you want?   Also, of course, if you trade up, you help you cap situation, because it also means your likely to have fewer rookies eating cap.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I bet they knew they’d match right away, but wanted to make the Bears wait to address the position for trying to snag our guys. 

Likely more a case first deciding whether to match and where they could come up with the money, then since have been working on actually re-doing other deals to free up money.  Unless the offer was much lower than expected, highly unlikely they'd have been able to sign him without freeing up money elsewhere and that takes time.

12 minutes ago, Success said:

I see some trades on draft day - we have too many picks for this year.

Either move up if there is a CB they really like, or accumulate some picks in future drafts.  I can't remember ever feeling like we had so few holes heading into a draft.

Agree though many thought that last year too, but didn't happen.  Realistically think they'd want to keep their first four picks, maybe a little moving up or down depending on a certain player, but nothing drastic.   Now you're down to low value picks.  Think I looked last week and we could package our two sixths to move up to late 5th, or a 5th and 6th to move up closer to top of 5th.  But not likely much else can be done with the lower picks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Therefore you kick the can this year and get a great deal in years 2, 3, and 4 on him.

Isn’t this the opposite to “kick the can”?

They are paying him now.. not later..

Not a 100 percent sure though as it’s a saying I don’t hear where I am from…

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

This would be excellent news if this holds up.

I mentioned it earlier but the sample size doesn’t worry as much as other posters.  Bates performed at a high level against key opponents.  His pass protection was nearly elite and his run blocking wasn’t too shabby either.

Very mobile with heavy hands, I think at the end of the day the Bills will have found a reliable starter for the next few years at a good price for what I believe will end up being a quality starter. 

One less hole to fill, now we just got to get that quality veteran DB, and serviceable swing tackle to compete against Doyle and the Bills are set going into the draft.

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I wonder, did Beane overplay his hand with Bates at all?  He probably could have offered him less, and he would have been happy to sign a contract, knowing that he was was returning. But he let Bates go out and find another team to draw up a contract for him.  It looks as though the Bears structured a deal they didn't think the Bills would match.  Glad he is back, but wondering if this is one of those few times where Beane got a little too cocky.

I think he let him set his own market given the lack of game film 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

So you’re telling me you don’t think Beane ever approached Bates and his agent to discuss a contract extension? 

You think he just slapped an Original Round Tender on the guy and said “Well, let’s hope for the best.” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I think he miscalculated.  If he were to do it all over again he would have given him the 2nd round tender.  

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.