Tremaine Edmunds contract comparison

Buffalo_Stampede

Absolutely!  $10m a year would represent value and a player that knows the system, makes an impact on how teams attack the defense.    I just don’t think the Bills will be able to get him at that rate.   I wouldn’t be surprised that he ends up somewhere at some point for around the $12m a year range

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's way too much money to pay a backup LB. Edmunds is not a player we should be looking to keep at any price as our starting MLB. He's a liability and a key part of a defense that couldnt stop KC when it mattered most.

He defines anti-clutch.

The other key part was Milano getting Mossed for the game winning TD. 

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

The other key part was Milano getting Mossed for the game winning TD. 

No excuse for him either, though at least he's played well during points of his career - often for long stretches where he looked like one of the best players on our defense. That's something I've never been able to say of Edmunds. Of the two, i definitely prefer Milano.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

We the fans, or we the Bills franchise?

We the fans.

I'm not going to say he hasn't done his role with the franchise.  Like I said, he's a monster in the middle of the field that makes QBs look elsewhere.  So he's done that job.  But being as big as he is, I still feel like he plays too soft.  I don't want to go too deep on it but basically my point is he's a against the pass LB and not an all around LB.

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

We the fans.

I'm not going to say he hasn't done his role with the franchise.  Like I said, he's a monster in the middle of the field that makes QBs look elsewhere.  So he's done that job.  But being as big as he is, I still feel like he plays too soft.  I don't want to go too deep on it but basically my point is he's a against the pass LB and not an all around LB.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Polarizing player indeed.

Edited by Dopey

Just now, The Wiz said:

Not sure if serious or actually ok with my thoughts???

No man, I'm serious. I like when someone can critique his game without the " he sucks"  dialogue. I will say, he has some issues like any other player, but I feel the tandem we have is one of the better tandems in the league. Remembering we play 2 linebackers a lot. If folks don't like the defense we run, that's one thing but they do the job and do it well. My Milano comment aside, I like him a lot. Now, if we ran a true 4-3 we might be able to find a better MLB. But this defense we run, I feel we'd be hard pressed to find a better option.  

One more thing(sorry for the long reply), I feel Edmunds gets blamed for things that aren't his doing. Please watch the long TD we gave up to NE in our 1st matchup. Hyde was the last line of defense. We all know this. But keep your eyes on Milano. Watch him from just prior to the snap through the cut back by the RB. If you can tell me how he ends up where he does, you would be the first. Just one example of the blame game gone wrong. Edmunds was not at fault there. Again, sorry for the long response.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It really is. Not only is the board split, but I think a number of us fight our own internal battles trying to get a real bead on his play.

I'll admit the Cover1 videos do a lot to help his image. A number of things I've bashed him for look a little less severe when put into the proper context of his true responsibilities and the amount this scheme asks of him to cover.

But every series of every game I say "Cmon Tremaine, we just need 1 play", and it literally never comes. So even if he is making the calls, and responsible for multiple gaps, and is clogging up passing lanes... I'm not seeing anything actually come of it. No big plays from him, nor really anyone directly around him.

Tough one.

You’re saying with your last sentence that you don’t see Milano making plays around him?  Mentioned on cover 1 was that edmunds is a good compliment to Milano. Edmunds can clean up plays from Milano aggressiveness. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't think Edmunds takes anything less than we gave Milano last year. 

Yep and if the light doesn't come on in year 5...........then see ya' Tremaine, IMO.

I don't care if he bulb doesn't spark until he is elsewhere in year 6..........like it did with Demario Davis..........ILB's who don't make plays are very replaceable and you can't pay that light bill before you get some juice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

De'Vondre Campbell was far more productive than Edmunds in 2021 so if we're making that comparison and paying for productivity, not some false hope of potential, then no.   3 yrs 28 would be best offer I would be okay with to extend him.

This thread might reach 80 pages and extend well into the season 😂 I would only entertain the idea of Edmunds at $10M/yr if our base defense was a 4-3 and he proved to be more impactful as a weakside OLB. I don’t like him at $10M/yr in his current nickel role, not enough return on a double digit million dollar contract.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I will say, he has some issues like any other player, but I feel the tandem we have is one of the better tandems in the league.

all due respect, but there's no way this is anywhere close to true. Last year PFF ranked us 14th, and I can't possibly see how we improved there. I think Edmunds was worse this year than he was in 2020.

37 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

all due respect, but there's no way this is anywhere close to true. Last year PFF ranked us 14th, and I can't possibly see how we improved there. I think Edmunds was worse this year than he was in 2020.

Again, polarizing. Will be watching to see what we do there.

Go BILLS!

Can we stop with the “but he is young” as a positive?  All it means is we have to pay more money for him to gain experience he could have gotten in college and for us to figure out who he really is. It doesn’t guarantee he will play longer nor does it guarantee he has more improvement to make. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.