Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, 716er said:

They were not forced to forego the Rooney rule lol

I understand the problems with the rule, but to claim they were forced to forego the rule is silly.

But... they really were.  That's the point of the rule.  They have to interview a minority coach for the position.

It could have been Brian Daboll, Jim Harbaugh and the Special Team Coordinator for the Arizona Wildcats (I'm assuming he's a minority in this situation) as the only people that wanted the job and they would have had to by rule to interview him.

Edited by The Wiz

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

It's terrible precisely because it causes things like this.  A saying comes to mind, "the road to H e double hockey sticks is made with good intentions". 

It does?  How many other times has this suit been brought over the years?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

And so what if it was? They were FORCED to proceed with the sham. It’s the NFL and people like to work with people they know and get along with. Kind of like political appointees. Do you think those are pretty well pre determined ? It’s how the world works. 

In the academic world, most of the open positions posted are not actually genuine. Institutions are required by law to put them out there, but the vast majority already have someone or a select few in mind. Schools admission policies routinely select against more qualified Asian students and hardly anyone cares. In this particular case, Flores would have been more admirable if he had outed Ross and quit rather than waiting to use it as an Ace when he doesn't like the hand he's been dealt.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players. Not coaches or front office.

So you agree there is systemic racism in the player selection.  Coaching is close to the racial breakdown of the general population.  Minoritys are 500% over represented among players.  The only possible explanation is systemic racism.  Please don't try to tell me the NFL selects its player on merit not race. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, that's an issue as well. If true, Flores had all this happen and continued to work for Ross. Collected paychecks and kept it all to himself while happily continuing to coach for the team? Seems like and odd time to grow morals now.

Actually, you make a great point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Rooney Rule by definition forces teams to put a list together of the best "black candidates", separate from the "best candidates". And unless one of their top-3 guys is black, it will always result in a fake interview to satisfy the rule. The rule was never going to work. I wonder what happens when a black candidate asks in the interview "is this interview just to satisfy the Rooney Rule?". Teams obviously can't admit it, but both parties know that often times it is exactly that.

Frazier hasn't been looked over because of his skin color, it's because he wasn't good in previous HC experience, and his defensive philosophy is considered old school or antiquated by many.

Bienemy was a hot name for a while, but he reportedly has interviewed poorly when given a shot, and teams are wary of his actual involvement in Reid's offense. Nobody is passing on him based on race.

• Agree 3

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Bills texts don’t have dates in the screenshot I saw lol so I wasn’t sure 

Right I looked too.  

Frazier was on the 22nd(Saturday).  Daboll was on the 24th (Monday).  Then the text saying he heard you got it was after that and before the Thursday (27th) interview with flores.

I think I have my timeline pretty straight on this but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Wow this offseason already getting great, cant wait for more to come out.

If Flores is wrong, his is done in the NFL.

He's done in the NFL anyway.  

The whole system is a sham.  The Giants clearly wanted Daboll because of his proposed skill set in developing QBs.   They picked from the Belichick tree in Judge and that didn't pan out.  So I think the decision to hire Daboll had little to do with race.  The Rooney rule forced them to look at alternative candidates...specifically minorities.   It's understandable that Flores was upset at not getting a real interview.   He was also handed a raw deal by Miami.  

In some instances, GMs know who they want to hire.  The hot coordinators are always at the top of everyone's lists.  Coaches have ideas who they want as coordinators.  The Bills selected Dorsey because of continuity with the system.  He was no less qualified than the other minority candidates they did interview, but he had the advantage of being already a part of the Bills system. 

If minorities are being considered only for the sake of the Rooney rule, then it is clearly not doing what it is intended to do.  If you look at incumbent coordinators, you see some who are minorities that are being considered, I think legitimately.  The majority of coordinators, however, are not minorities.  It's a matter of getting hot at the right time.  

I don't think you can really paint a single broad-brush stroke on this matter.  It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It would be in a lot of cases for these Rooney rule guys that would never get the job in the first place.  You’re just wasting their time. 

It's not a waste of time though, maybe you don't have a shot but you're putting your name out there to people that make these decisions, not much else you can do.

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

GIF by Team Coco

Are there no heinous criminals that still play in the NFL?  Is this news? You want Mixon dating a daughter or sister? How about Tyreek? Hunt? Willie Gay? You letting Barkevious Mingo baby-sit? Our own Tyrel Dodson? Roethlisberger getting all sorts of clout, we'll miss you BigBen...... should I continue?

Edited by BillsShredder83

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.