McKenzie Talks 13 seconds

cv05

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McKenzie is a bad practice player who hasn't seemed to be able to learn how to elevate his game.     

Belichick needs to add speed to his offense but it's really hard to envision a bad practice player who then comes into games and makes mental errors is going to be a priority add for BB. 

What is the source of this info?  I'm not questioning its veracity, just wanting to know where it came from.

Because I have heard Diggs and McDermott and others talk about how hard McKenzie works.  Now I get that "practice doesn't make perfect, the right practice makes perfect", but usually someone willing to work hard and good practice go together.

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

He may have been by some, but there were some that didn't it seemed. I just recall seeing something along the lines of he had trouble learning the offense or was slow learning it, something like that. Think I remember something about he and Brady were not on the same page many times too. 

And was other stuff like he would never be like he was with Bengals because he struggled to learn new systems...something along those lines. Anyways, obviously I don't know for sure, just a little something I remember

There was an ex-Patriot player who reamed Ocho out when he said something about how the Pats offense seemed like Magic.  Told him it seems like magic to you because you don't know the playbook, you're not in the playbook.  Get in the playbook, or stuff to that effect.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean he's not smart, but "not smart" and "too lazy" can contribute to the same effect.

Edit: found it.  It was Bruschi.

"Just waking up after a late arrival,I've never seen a machine operate like that n person,to see video game numbers put up n person was WOW," Ochocinco tweeted.

Appearing on WEEI-AM a short time later, Bruschi unloaded on the receiver, reported Comcast SportsNet New England.

"Drop the awe factor, OK, Ocho, Chad, drop the awe factor," Bruschi began. "You're not a fan, all right. You're not someone who's on another team or watching TV. You're not an analyst. You're a part of it. They want you to be a part of it. So get with the program because obviously you're not getting it and you're tweeting because you're saying, 'It's amazing to see'? It's amazing to see because you don't understand it! You still don't understand it and it's amazing to you because you can't get it.

"Stop tweeting and get in your playbook," Bruschi went on. "Wake up! If you're just waking up now -- I don't know when this was, six minutes ago? -- get out your bed and get to the stadium and watch some film if you still think it's amazing. If you're in it and you know what you're doing and you execute out there you don't think it's amazing. You know why? Because it's what you're supposed to do."

Ochocinco apparently admitted as much:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/24/chad-ochocinco-admitted-he-never-grasped-patriots-playbook/

A Dolphins source told Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe that Ochocinco admitted as much when he met with the team.

“The guy did all but admit that it was a struggle for him mentally, the playbook, all that stuff,’’ the source told Bedard. “He didn’t deny that it was a problem for him, learning it up there.’’

Again, maybe he couldn't get it because he was smart enough but didn't put in the grind.  But it doesn't speak well to his "smarts"

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He had to leave UGA due to grades. 
McKenzie is an ok player. There is absolutely no reason to believe Stevenson can’t be the same type of player. 

Have you.seen the guy run? He's of the most upright runners I think I've ever seen, he may be fast but doesn't seem quick from what I have seen. McKenzie is a very quick guy with the ball in his hands from what I have seen from Stephenson he is not and takes awhile to build up speed.

• Like (+1) 2

I actually think that McKenzie has a good head on his shoulders. Unlike a lot of people, he actually is preparing for life after football and opened up a BBQ place down here in Miami that is getting rave reviews. See below. He did not pour millions in a recording studio or some other ridiculous thing.

He also is well liked by his teammates and we have seen that he can be a special player.  I honestly don't understand some of the criticism.

Miami New Times rated his BBQ restaurant (La Traila) as the best BBQ restaurant in Miami:

Miami barbecue hit a home run with La Traila, a former pop-up that transitioned to a brick-and-mortar location earlier this year. Founded by Austin native and pit master Mel Rodriguez and Miami native/Buffalo Bills wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie, the Miami Lakes restaurant offers up 305-inspired craft barbecue at its finest. Meats are available by the pound, from smoked pulled pork and the house jalapeño cheddar sausage to "dino" beef ribs and Texas-style brisket. Latin twists come into focus in specialty items like the pork spare rib croquettes and dishes that nod to Rodriguez's Mexican heritage. In particular, the Tex-Mex-inspired Brisket y Queso empanadas and Texas Frito Pie are not to be missed. But the most alluring menu item might be the Brisket Sundae, a fair-food-and-taco-stand mashup presented as a cup layered with mac and cheese, baked beans, and creamed corn, then topped with smoked brisket, cotija cheese, crema, and house sauce. Vegans will enjoy the All Natural — smoked pulled jackfruit finished with pickles and onions and tossed in a house-made barbecue sauce. Up early? La Traila's breakfast tacos will start your day right.

Miami New Times

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

He may have been by some, but there were some that didn't it seemed. I just recall seeing something along the lines of he had trouble learning the offense or was slow learning it, something like that. Think I remember something about he and Brady were not on the same page many times too. 

And was other stuff like he would never be like he was with Bengals because he struggled to learn new systems...something along those lines. Anyways, obviously I don't know for sure, just a little something I remember

Yep, he couldn't handle the Patriots offense and didn't last long.

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

I actually think that McKenzie has a good head on his shoulders. Unlike a lot of people, he actually is preparing for life after football and opened up a BBQ place down here in Miami that is getting rave reviews. See below. He did not pour millions in a recording studio or some other ridiculous thing.

He also is well liked by his teammates and we have seen that he can be a special player.  I honestly don't understand some of the criticism.

Miami New Times rated his BBQ restaurant (La Traila) as the best BBQ restaurant in Miami:

Miami New Times

He has proven he can be a "special" player?

Where the f*ck is THAT proof?

He is 5 years into the league with like 900 career receiving yards and never averaged as much as 10 yards per reception in any season.

He is too careless with the football to keep a return job.

I'm not saying that he can't do better with more chances if he has an elite QB like Josh Allen...........but he hasn't proven he can be special..........he's proven he can be a useful gadget player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t necessarily agree.  He’s had a lot of success in the slot and his makes him dangerous gadget player on offense.  Do fans overvalue him?  Maybe but I also don’t feel he was ever utilized properly.  Whether he’s back or not, the Bills need more speed at WR 

a lot of success? I’ll buy “he’s shown a few flashes” but the dude is under 100 catches in 5 years for 9 yards a pop. 

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is 5 years into the league with like 900 career receiving yards and never averaged as much as 10 yards per reception in any season.

He is too careless with the football to keep a return job.

I'm not saying that he can't do better with more chances if he has an elite QB like Josh Allen...........but he hasn't proven he can be special..........he's proven he can be a useful gadget player.

ha - great minds, great timing. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Watch the game against NE at NE.  He showed what he is capable of doing. That is the f*cking proof. He was given an extended chance, and he was damn good.  

Don't listen to me. Ask Josh what he thinks of McKenzie.

P.S. My original quote, which you misstated: ". . . we have seen that he can be a special player."

Edited by Peter

4 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

When I think that all it would have taken was lining someone up in Tyreek and Kelce's face and tackle them at their release take the 5 yard penalty and burn 6-7 seconds I then begin to realize these coaches are given too much credit of how smart they actually are.  Even Romo made this comment "you can't score in 13 seconds..that just..that doesn't happen in real life".  Man it's going to be a long off season especially if K.C. ends up winning it all.

Time does not run off clock on defense penalty.  I think that rule was put in due to Billicheat.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Watch the game against NE at NE.  He showed what he is capable of doing. That is the f*cking proof. He was given an extended chance, and he was damn good.  

Don't listen to me. Ask Josh what he thinks of McKenzie.

P.S. My original quote, which you misstated: ". . . we have seen that he can be a special player."

I guess we need your seasonal statistical definition of "special" Petey.........and how much they should pay him per year?

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess we need your seasonal statistical definition of "special" Petey.........and how much they should pay him per year?

As I said in the original post: "We have seen that he can be a special player." If you don't think that he played well and was a special player that day then good for you.

P.S. By special, I mean a Beasley type receiver who also has high end speed. He also has shown he can run the ball on sweeps.

P.P.S. I will leave it Beane to decide what to pay him if anything.

Edited by Peter

Just now, Peter said:

As I said in the original post: "We have seen that he can be a special player." If you don't think that he played well and was a special player that day then good for you.

P.S. By special, I mean a Beasley type receiver with high end speed. He also has shown he can run the ball on sweeps.

P.P.S. I will leave it Beane to decide what to pay him if anything.

Beasley has averaged 812 yards per season in Buffalo..........more than thrice Beasley's best season.......closer to his 5 year career total..........so no he hasn't proven he can do that.

Duke Williams had a 100+ yard game in 2019........did he show us he could be a special player that day?  

I could give you a LONG list of ex-Bills who had one or a handful of huge games and clearly weren't special.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beasley has averaged 812 yards per season in Buffalo..........more than thrice Beasley's best season.......closer to his 5 year career total..........so no he hasn't proven he can do that.

Duke Williams had a 100+ yard game in 2019........did he show us he could be a special player that day?  

I could give you a LONG list of ex-Bills who had one or a handful of huge games and clearly weren't special.

I take it that English is not your first language. 

Please show me where in my original post I used the word "proven."  I will wait.

P.S. Actually, I am not going to wait. Spoiler alert: it is not there.

Edited by Peter
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ive listened to these pretty much every week and referenced in the thread where I don’t think he’s returning - he made a lot of comments all year about things he doesn’t like. Personally, I think it’s time he look at some other options if he has them. 

Besides not playing more what doesnt he like?

would be a shame to lose him, he has excelled when given the opportunity.

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

P.S. By special, I mean a Beasley type receiver who also has high end speed. He also has shown he can run the ball on sweeps.

So I think it's worth commenting on this a bit more.

I don't think anyone would argue that Isaiah McKenzie played well and was "That Guy" for us in the 2nd Patriots game where we were missing Cole and Davis to Covid and Sanders was strapping himself up and playing on a bum knee.

The question is: does that represent his true capabilities as a slot receiver, or does it represent the fact that the Patriots were suddenly facing the Bills #5 WR in targets, yards, and receptions?  Because we've seen guys have one great game (Duke Williams) or some great receptions (Jake Kumerow), then when there's video out there to study, they're easily neutralized.

The Patriots were playing man, and McKenzie was simply able to run away from it.

Beasley thrives in zone coverage, and excels at knowing where the gaps will be and being able to sit in them.

This isn't just me saying this, Taron Johnson was interviewed earlier this season and said that practicing against Beasley was a "cheat code" to make him a better nickel corner.  Asked about McKenzie, he said "his thing is mainly speed".

Now speed is to be feared.  Speed kills.  But speed doesn't make McKenzie able to do what Beasley does, to be a zone-beater who can almost always get open in the slot unless you double him.  Speed can open different plays though - I thought it was interesting that the Bills started using McKenzie on some of the outside runs they'd tried with Brieda.

Here's the problem: once again, McKenzie kind of washed out as a KR/PR - he actually fumbled on the first KR vs KC, though it went out of bounds;  he muffed or misjudged enough PR that he lost that job.  And this was his third chance.

McKenzie has shown flashes, but I don't know that they've flashed enough that the Bills are ready to say "Move along now Beas, we're giving your job to McKenzie"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I think it's worth commenting on this a bit more.

I don't think anyone would argue that Isaiah McKenzie played well and was "That Guy" for us in the 2nd Patriots game where we were missing Cole and Davis to Covid and Sanders was strapping himself up and playing on a bum knee.

The question is: does that represent his true capabilities as a slot receiver, or does it represent the fact that the Patriots were suddenly facing the Bills #5 WR in targets, yards, and receptions?  Because we've seen guys have one great game (Duke Williams) or some great receptions (Jake Kumerow), then when there's video out there to study, they're easily neutralized.

The Patriots were playing man, and McKenzie was simply able to run away from it.

Beasley thrives in zone coverage, and excels at knowing where the gaps will be and being able to sit in them.

This isn't just me saying this, Taron Johnson was interviewed earlier this season and said that practicing against Beasley was a "cheat code" to make him a better nickel corner.  Asked about McKenzie, he said "his thing is mainly speed".

Now speed is to be feared.  Speed kills.  But speed doesn't make McKenzie able to do what Beasley does, to be a zone-beater who can almost always get open in the slot unless you double him.

My posts on the subject were not intended to be a McKenzie v. Beasley comment. I would love both of them to be on the team next year.

It just so happened, when he played an entire game when Beasley was out, McKenzie exhibited what he is capable of doing. It just so happens, McKenzie had about as good a day any of our WRs had this year (with the exception of Gabriel Davis this past week).

Another point, I used the phrase Beasley type of receiver in contradistinction to an outside receiver. 

In any event, I stand by my comment that McKenzie showed what he is capable of in the NE game there. 

10 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm not not one to usually hit the panic button, but if I.K TRULY doesn't know what happened. When he is the "Adam S." of team news, then that tells me there is probably a lot of guys that don't know. 

Things could go south quickly next season if things don't fall a certain way. 

maybe being on offense he didn't get the details but no way "nobody" knows, im not buying it.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Forget speed.

Im more concerned that McDermott has not given the players any explanation for what occurred on Sunday.

That is deeply disappointing.

the defense knows, there is no way that they dont and Lorenzo Alexander said the same thing today on the extra point show.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Somebody knows.

For one thing, Erik Turner's comment on Ty Dunne/Isaiah McKenzie's show:

McKenzie is full of s#!t  he has a reputation for being a jokester and whining about being benched, I cant trust if what he says saying here is true or not. He just maybe useing this as a jab at McDermott before he leaves.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I take it that English is not your first language. 

Please show me where in my original post I used the word "proven."  I will wait.

P.S. Actually, I am not going to wait. Spoiler alert: it is not there.

He has neither "shown" nor "proven" that he can be a Beasley type(but with speed!).

He's "shown" that he can get you 175-285 yards a season and frustrate his coaching staff enough to not give him a lot more chances.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

To be fair, he said he slept in and missed McDermott's final address to the players.  Maybe Sean discussed it then, but I doubt it.  

If he said that then he really has no idea and his whole spiel was just a hot take directed at McDermott. Someone who sleeps in over going to the final meeting is not dedicate to this team or football.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, beebe said:

Most interesting part of the chat was definitely on the subject of communication. He essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing: "McDermott is details, details, details. All offseason. Spring and summer. All the time. Obsessive. We spend time going over these things. Communication is always stressed. And then, 13 seconds left, it all breaks down. And nobody knows what we are doing. Nobody knows why this happened." 

That's why I was so confident that we had the game won because I didn't think we were dealing with Wade Phillips here.  I even thought kicking the extra point was risky because if they blocked it and returned if for two the game they'd tie the game.  The disconnect between what we know about McDermott and what happened at the end of the game will forever stand out to me.  The special teams miscommunication was weird and maybe Bass forgot his hearing aids (I kid).  Then McDermott and Frazier played scared not wanting to be beat over the top.  The Chiefs meanwhile had to have perfect execution and they did.  Unless we win a Super Bowl, the 13 seconds will haunt McDermott and Bills fans the rest of our lives. 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mahomes led the NFL in yards gained on throws at or behind the LOS.  Allen was like third.  So we do pretty well at this too.

I saw a stat, I don't know the provenance, that indicated Mahomes had a huge YAC percentage of yards and that Allen had few. Maybe that's not true, but it sure seems like most of our yardage through the air is point to point without a lot of YAC.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have one lol!

Who was that running back who ran for like a million yards against Miami in what was a playoff game iirc?  Before that game 3 yards was a long gain for him, or so it seemed.. He looked very strong but he seemed to never gain yardage. Never.

21 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Allen and the Bills by proxy made him a lot of money this year 

I believe that will be the biggest reason he won't come back MONEY which is what the NFL is all about . I don't think Sanders will be back i would like to see McKenzie come back if they could take some of the money they gave Sanders but i think Mac will go for  lot more so i think he's gone !

But Beane does his thing every year & finds those guys to fill the gaps but if Mckenzie puts himself out there & doesn't consider coming back i think Bill will pay him like he has done in the past with a couple of other good Bills players .

Idk I like McKenzie but I see him and an easily replaceable cog in the machine. He’s a gadget guy who stepped up one big game for us when needed. The question is, do we think he can do that consistently? I don’t think so. Some team will throw more money at him than we are going to want to spend on a guy who can be replaced. He’s not a Cole replacement, he’s a completely different type of player. Beasley will be here another year prob with a contract extension/revision to clear up some cap room. We can get another speed/gadget guy to try and develop either through FA or the draft.

57 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Gonna be hard to replace a guy that has had a couple good games and a few random catches and runs over 3 and half years. 

Exactly. I think fans loved his antics more than his play. I fell for his heroics to at the NE game, but there’s a reason he is where he is in the depth chart. He’ll never be WR2. 

He’s replaceable. Moving on. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ive listened to these pretty much every week and referenced in the thread where I don’t think he’s returning - he made a lot of comments all year about things he doesn’t like. Personally, I think it’s time he look at some other options if he has them. 

It’s funny I think this is where Beane steps in and says… better younger player for less money. We keep McKenzie and let Beasley and Sanders walk. I think the starting WR are Diggs, Davis and McKenzie. Stephenson and Isiah Hodgkins 4 and 5

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

McKenzie is full of s#!t  he has a reputation for being a jokester and whining about being benched, I cant trust if what he says saying here is true or not. He just maybe useing this as a jab at McDermott before he leaves.

What part of that show was McKenzie full of *****?   Not saying that I disagree, I'd like to understand that as a response to what I posted.  That said ....Yolo posted upthread that McKenzie said he slept through McDermott's address to the team on Monday am so there's that.  I didn't hear it in the show, but I could have missed it.

Benched: He made a couple twitter/insta posts, but his teammates said he came in high energy and worked hard as always.  Is it the couple of instagram posts "Hurts" and "Damn!" that constitute whining?

McKenzie definitely has a reputation as a jokester and for stirring the ***** with trash talk.  Said he got on the plane and right away called out the defense.  Well, they needed to be called out.

32 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Exactly. I think fans loved his antics more than his play. I fell for his heroics to at the NE game, but there’s a reason he is where he is in the depth chart. He’ll never be WR2. 

He’s replaceable. Moving on. 

Oh, I loved his play.  Remember it's not just the NE game, but the final game vs Miami last season.  He had a couple ST TDs in other games called back for penalties, too.  But he had his chance to show he could be the full-time KR/PR, and he muffed it.  He wants his chance to show he can be the full time slot guy, and he'll probably get it - but I'm not sure he'll get it here.

My feeling is that McKenzie is a guy who is holding himself back with the same hard-headedness that got him this far.   He's had to "tune out the noise" of people telling him he wasn't good enough and couldn't do it, to believe in himself and keep grinding.  But that also means tuning out people who are trying to coach you to improve and help you reach another level sometimes.  I thought that came out pretty clearly between the lines of what he said during the show.  The coaches are telling him stuff he needs to work on and he's not arguing, maybe even nodding, but inside he's "yeah yeah, we'll see."

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Idk I like McKenzie but I see him and an easily replaceable cog in the machine.

What's not easily replaceable about McKenzie is his speed and quickness.  He's that Fast Guy who has shown he can actually develop into a football player, though it took him a couple years.  He can block now, surprisingly well for a small guy.  He can run actual routes and make moves now.  He's starting to be used out of the backfield.

But he still has flaws, and maybe they're fatal flaws to him taking the next step.  Ball security is the biggy.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

the defense knows, there is no way that they dont and Lorenzo Alexander said the same thing today on the extra point show.

What show is this?  I'd like to listen, do you have a linky or point me at where to find it online?

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He has neither "shown" nor "proven" that he can be a Beasley type(but with speed!).

He's "shown" that he can get you 175-285 yards a season and frustrate his coaching staff enough to not give him a lot more chances.

The guy seized the opportunity he was given. He showed what he could do.

How? Because he did it.

Sure, go ahead and try to take it away from him. Let's all pretend that he did not perform the way he did when he was given the chance to play an extensive role.

I am glad that you (unintentionally) admitted that you misstated my original point and are now backtracking. I also know you like to argue and get the last word in so I will let you get the last word in. I really don't care. 

God bless.

Edited by Peter

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Great guy, but unfortunately McD did him dirty and I don’t expect him to return to the team. 

You know, that untouched fumble in the Colts game was something a lot of coaches would bench a guy for

If it's true that McKenzie was fumbling or muffing punts in practice as well, he really deserved to be benched (I don't know if it's true, I keep asking for a source on this rumor and getting blanked)

McKenzie did himself dirty if true

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Not that episode (it's from Dec 30th) but it might be one of the shows listed here:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/the-extra-point-with-sal-capaccio-20270

I can't get them to play for me, though, tried 2 different browsers.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

The guy seized the opportunity he was given. He showed what he could do.

How? Because he did it.

Sure, go ahead and try to take it away from him. Let's all pretend that he did not perform the way he did when he was given the chance to play an extensive role.

I am glad that you (unintentionally) admitted that you misstated my original point and are now backtracking. I also know you like to argue and get the last word in so I will let you get the last word in. I really don't care. 

God bless.

There is no difference between shown and proven in this instance...........you are cowering behind the vagueness.

Isaiah McKenzie put up 177 yards receiving on the season...........and after his "Duke Williams" game with both Beasley and Davis out in New England he put up just 6 receptions for 63 yards in his last 4 games while getting that more "extensive" role.     That's another sub 300 yard season pace.

You have irrational faith in Isaiah McKenzie like some had with Duke Williams..........you aren't going to own it........you'd rather look ignorant by making statements like he's shown he can be a faster version of Cole Beasley(who has proven he could take a high volume beating and keep producing for a decade).

I like McKenzie too............I'd keep him on a cheap contract again and continue to use him as a gadget player...........but if you think he is going to put up 800 yards receiving for the next many years you should probably contact draft kings and put some coin down because nobody in their right mind thinks that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.