What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?

WhoTom

52 minutes ago, muppy said:

don't ***** where you eat.

lol

consider the Source!

wooooooooooooooooooooo lol

m

First one was my old man's favorite!

His father/my grandfather's favorite:

"If the hound didn't stop to take a *****,  it would have got the fox."

Pretty simple, but kinda deep too! 😆 

Also... My father (died in 2019) probably couldn't find the escape key on a keyboard but since day one knew:

"Facebook is nothing more than front porch gossip."

😆... He was blind the last 20 years of his life, lived on NPR.  😲😯😉 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't think with your dick.

aka do your thinking with the right head.....sounds about right.

how about "Nothing good ever happens after midnight" Bo Schembechler 

I like this one: Dance like no one is looking" !~!~!!!!~!

CONCUR:  Some people emit negative fumes, while others vibrate POSITIVE ENERGY. Stay close to the Positive ones; otherwise you will be smoked to death. 

lol this next one is not directed at anyone,..its succinct, it gets its point across, and when I say it....... HUBBY LISTENS...what is this wisdom?

STFU

lol it works 🙂 if its gotten to that point he knows to segueway fast lol- m

I have a bunch of friends in AA. These guys ften have these great one liners that stick with me. AA would seem like the kind of place where the old timers have heard every excuse, and a ton of b.s. Here are 2:

1) "Being bitter at someone and dwelling on it is like me drinking poison and waiting for you to die."

This makes total sense imo. The person that you are so angry at either doesn't care or is glad that you are tearing yourself apart.

2) "No matter where you go, there YOU are." 

Another great line. Many folks think that all they have to do is move and they will completely change. Sometimes I consider moving to NC. I might do it some day too but if I do, I will not think that I will instantly transform into a different person with completely different thoughts and habits.

OK, here is one more from an old police chief who was getting ready to retire. On the previous night, he had to go out to Long Island and suspend a NYC cop who was involved in a dispute with his wife. This man was a GREAT guy and hated to do this but it was his job. The next day he came to a precinct and delivered a speech to the 4x12 shift.

He said that when you get off at 12AM, go home! He said that if you go out to bars and screw around it is only a short matter of time before your wife finds out and you will lose your house, kids, and pension. He said to go to a 7-11, buy a six pack, take it home, drink it, and watch reruns of Star Trek. Then he said, "your wife will probably still hate you, but at least she will know where you are."

I hope that big bosses like him still exist.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

"everything in moderation, even moderation itself " Oscar Wilde

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw

"Guests like fish begin to stink after 3 days" Benjamin Franklin

"noone can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

On 2/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, Steve O said:

Stop working for money, let money work for you.

Man, I've thought about that. Seen several TikToks where people will buy laundry mats, car washes, storage units, etc, and once they get the business in a good spot, it's just collecting $$$, with little work needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

If you think you can make something idiot-proof, you have severely underestimated the ingenuity of an idiot.

reminded me of this one..."You Can't make sense out of nonsense" Dr Phil McGraw

Get the extended warranty 

2 years ago I bought a Samsung Refrigerator w/Freeze  on bottom

Paid $200 - 300 for the warranty 

the ice maker had issues where it had a leak feeding the Ice Maker and the ice tray froze over.  

4 service calls later it was deemed as unrepairable.  

a freaking leak ! 
I just got a buy back offer

check is in the mail

Purchase price plus taxes paid.  

i also get to keep the fridge.  

it will now go into the garage (where there isn’t a water source) to replace the crappy GE I replaced at the time cuz it had issues after 10 years 

$200 - 300 for the warranty = $2500 for a new and a 2 year old  unit. 

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the ice maker had issues where it had a leak feeding the Ice Maker and the ice tray froze over.  

a freaking leak ! 

check is in the mail

it will now go into the garage (where there isn’t a water source) to replace the crappy GE I replaced at the time cuz it had issues after 10 years 

It’s nice when it works out! 

My advice? Never fall for the home warranty when you buy a house. We bought a house with an older AC unit I knew would fail. I argued to get the sales price down, and for a variety of reasons caved and accepted a home warranty instead. HOT GARBAGE! There was like a $200 deductible every time they showed up to top it off with Freon. They would top it off until the end of time, like several times a week, but it was clear there would NEVER be a replacement in my future. 

Here’s your NEW best advice: Never count on a home warranty to do you any good. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, gdabillsfan said:

Puff, puff, pass.

… Daddy he once told me,
"Son, you be hard workin' man"
And momma she once told me,
"Son you do the best you can"
But then one day I met a man,
He came to me and said,
"I work good and I work fine,
But first take care of head

10 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s nice when it works out! 

My advice? Never fall for the home warranty when you buy a house. We bought a house with an older AC unit I knew would fail. I argued to get the sales price down, and for a variety of reasons caved and accepted a home warranty instead. HOT GARBAGE! There was like a $200 deductible every time they showed up to top it off with Freon. They would top it off until the end of time, like several times a week, but it was clear there would NEVER be a replacement in my future. 

Here’s your NEW best advice: Never count on a home warranty to do you any good. 

I’ve  “owned” 4 houses.  
NY, FLA, TX and VA. 

All of them new builds.

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I’ve  “owned” 4 houses.  
NY, FLA, TX and VA. 

All of them new builds.

We are 7 houses in, NONE were new builds. My dream is to build exactly what we want one day, but then I look at all the decisions in just a kitchen or bath remodel…..and I have second thoughts. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

a freaking leak ! 

check is in the mail

There's a whole FB group about those Samsung fridges.  People are always asking in a Costco group I read what they think about Samsung appliances, and over 90% of the response are to stay away. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.