Ed Oliver 5th year option

YoloinOhio

5th year option costs for 2019 1st rounders including Ed who sits at $10,753,000 which seems like a no-brainer given how he played this year. As stated above Beane is going to exercise this but in case you were interested in the number as well as the numbers for the other first rounders from that draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/07/fifth-year-option-salaries-set-for-2019-first-round-picks/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

5th year option costs for 2019 1st rounders including Ed who sits at $10,753,000 which seems like a no-brainer given how he played this year. As stated above Beane is going to exercise this but in case you were interested in the number as well as the numbers for the other first rounders from that draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/07/fifth-year-option-salaries-set-for-2019-first-round-picks/

A bargain for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Big Ed is developing quite well

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mark Vader said:

Do people on this board still think that Ed Oliver is a bust?

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall many people labeling him a bust. I think many including myself have posted he has not lived up to his draft position.  He has improved to the point of being a solid starter just not a star player. 

Ford is a bust. I think they keep him and see what he does with Kromer in camp. But ultimately they will likely either cut him or trade him for a 7th round conditional pick. And Epenesa is getting close to being a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mark Vader said:

Do people on this board still think that Ed Oliver is a bust?

So far just NMU is alone in his utterly replaceable fandom…, 

😁

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall many people labeling him a bust. I think many including myself have posted he has not lived up to his draft position.  He has improved to the point of being a solid starter just not a star player. 

Ford is a bust. I think they keep him and see what he does with Kromer in camp. But ultimately they will likely either cut him or trade him for a 7th round conditional pick. And Epenesa is getting close to being a bust. 

I think plenty of people have called him a bust in relation to his draft position. They didn’t say he wasn’t adequate, but that he wasn’t worth where he was drafted. Pretty sure about that one. 

Semantics? 

He’s played well enough that I want to see him stick around, for sure! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Eh. I recall quite a few folks writing him off, so to speak. But my recollection can be shabby. 

I also think he's markedly better than a "solid starter."

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, Malazan said:

I'd argue that piking up the 5th year option occurs for 2 main reasons...

1. You value the player and want them back. Plan for a 2nd contract. 

2. You're uncertain and/or have an issue at the position. Basically a stopgap. 

I think #1 is Oliver and #2 is Edmunds. Edmunds is good at some things, but I suspect they would have brought in someone else there if they had the resources. The pandemic and subsequent salary cap drop really boned the Bills on the timing. Picking up Edmunds at that point was the best solution to keep the position at at least it's past skill level and allow Beane to focus dollars elsewhere to keep most of the team together or make improvements. 

It was really a masterstroke by Beane to keep as much of the team together in the circumstances. I suspect we'll see resources spent at LB this offseason where he has a bit more breathing room (even if they keep Edmunds). 

To keep this on Oliver though, I believe they value him and want to give him a 2nd contract. 

Oliver will get and deserves a 2nd contract. Tremaine doesn't. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There were quite a few people here who were calling him a bust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I think plenty of people have called him a bust in relation to his draft position. They didn’t say he wasn’t adequate, but that he wasn’t worth where he was drafted. Pretty sure about that one. 

Semantics? 

But do we keep him @ 16M-17M aav?  The top 5 are getting 18-22.  He’s not quite that, but only bump him down just a mill or two based on being next up getting a bump up.

There’s a chance Kyler or Lamar gets more than josh and Mahomes.  Certainly no LT better, but they’re next up.  

i love me some Ed so I’d like to keep him long term but I really hope to see a full season like we saw the last 1/3 of the season. 

The dude is coming into his own, if he can show another year of progression he will be a probowl caliber player.

He's definitely on a good trajectory and truthfully I think it's a matter of confidence.  He is now beginning to believe he can dominate and that is what he did in the 2nd half of the year.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Semantics? 

Well stated.  The detractors just think that because of where he was drafted, he should be Aaron Donald by now.  I on the other hand, like you, enjoy watching him play and hope he signs his second deal with the Bills.  I personally believe he is nowhere near his ceiling yet, which is why I hope he sticks around.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Well stated.  The detractors just think that because of where he was drafted, he should be Aaron Donald by now.  I on the other hand, like you, enjoy watching him play and hope he signs his second deal with the Bills.  I personally believe he is nowhere near his ceiling yet, which is why I hope he sticks around.  

There is only one Aaron Donald. And I don’t mean just last season. He is an all-time great who is a HOF lock. Let’s have reasonable expectations. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, Malazan said:

I'd argue that piking up the 5th year option occurs for 2 main reasons...

1. You value the player and want them back. Plan for a 2nd contract. 

2. You're uncertain and/or have an issue at the position. Basically a stopgap. 

I think #1 is Oliver and #2 is Edmunds. Edmunds is good at some things, but I suspect they would have brought in someone else there if they had the resources. The pandemic and subsequent salary cap drop really boned the Bills on the timing. Picking up Edmunds at that point was the best solution to keep the position at at least it's past skill level and allow Beane to focus dollars elsewhere to keep most of the team together or make improvements. 

It was really a masterstroke by Beane to keep as much of the team together in the circumstances. I suspect we'll see resources spent at LB this offseason where he has a bit more breathing room (even if they keep Edmunds). 

To keep this on Oliver though, I believe they value him and want to give him a 2nd contract. 

There was no reason to pick up Edmunds, worst case they had a tag option, now you are stuck w a fully guaranteed contract for about 6M more than he’s worth.  Could have transitioned him for marginally more.  It was a bad move, anything else is just trying to justify a bad move.  Beane is not perfect, contrary to what a lot of homers believe.

• Eyeroll 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.