Ed Oliver 5th year option

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane confirmed what many of us @Simon have been saying all year which is that they viewed Oliver as their most consistent d lineman in 2021.

It's probably damning him with faint praise but I think that statement holds true for 2020 as well.

• Agree 1

Of course they should retain Oliver, either by tagging or with a new contract.

It's Harrison Phillips I'm worried about.  He's an UFA and the rest of the league will have noticed his excellent play over the last half of the season.  I think he loves Buffalo but money talks.  He could leave.

But, if he does leave, that creates a problem/opportunity at DT.  Star has lost it and should be gone. If they lose Phillips and cut Star, they have a need and the cash for a monster DT to plug the middle.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

I'd argue that piking up the 5th year option occurs for 2 main reasons...

1. You value the player and want them back. Plan for a 2nd contract. 

2. You're uncertain and/or have an issue at the position. Basically a stopgap. 

I think #1 is Oliver and #2 is Edmunds. Edmunds is good at some things, but I suspect they would have brought in someone else there if they had the resources. The pandemic and subsequent salary cap drop really boned the Bills on the timing. Picking up Edmunds at that point was the best solution to keep the position at at least it's past skill level and allow Beane to focus dollars elsewhere to keep most of the team together or make improvements. 

It was really a masterstroke by Beane to keep as much of the team together in the circumstances. I suspect we'll see resources spent at LB this offseason where he has a bit more breathing room (even if they keep Edmunds). 

To keep this on Oliver though, I believe they value him and want to give him a 2nd contract. 

Really, they couldn’t find an equal to Edmonds lack luster play for $12.7M GUARANTEED?  That’s just non-sense.  Beane screwed the pooch and everyone with eyes can see it.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This board is unhinged for the most part and thinks pretty much every draft pick is a bust. Allen may be the only one you couldn't find someone on here saying he's a bust and that's really just come in the last 2 weeks. 

I dunno about "for the most part" but we definitely have our share of people with "different" views - some legitimately held, some apparently expressed for the purpose of ***** stirring

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's probably damning him with faint praise but I think that statement holds true for 2020 as well.

Hmmm I thought Ed struggled with consistency in 2020, and I am a big fan. His best moments were better than the rest of that defensive line group, even last year. But I thought he had too many lulls. This year he played with that motor play in and play out and he was a disruptive force. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Oli and Harrison worked well together.

Cant wait for star and obada to get cut

Obada is a free agent

Star is an interesting question.  McDermott is firmly wedded to his DL rotation.  Beane openly stated that Star played well and was very disruptive Week 2 to Week 9, but said that his bout with Covid really affected him and he got better, but was never again as disruptive as he'd been at the start of the season.  I thought that was very blunt speaking from Beane (and hopefully Lotulelei cleared him to share that information).  And, in addition to the 3 weeks he missed with Covid, he also missed 2 additional weeks for a toe injury and for "personal reasons" that were never explained - so we basically paid him $7.6M for an 11 game season.

Star is signed for 2 more years, and has a cap hit of $9.2M this season if we keep him, dead cap of $7.7M if we cut him.  The $1.5M we'd save by cutting him is barely enough to pay vet minimum to a 4-6 yr vet.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obada is a free agent

Star is an interesting question.  McDermott is firmly wedded to his DL rotation.  Beane openly stated that Star played well and was very disruptive Week 2 to Week 9, but said that his bout with Covid really affected him and he got better, but was never again as disruptive as he'd been at the start of the season.  I thought that was very blunt speaking from Beane (and hopefully Lotulelei cleared him to share that information).  And, in addition to the 3 weeks he missed with Covid, he also missed 2 additional weeks for a toe injury and for "personal reasons" that were never explained - so we basically paid him $7.6M for an 11 game season.

Star is signed for 2 more years, and has a cap hit of $9.2M this season if we keep him, dead cap of $7.7M if we cut him.  The $1.5M we'd save by cutting him is barely enough to pay vet minimum to a 4-6 yr vet.

If they designate him post 1 June they can save $4m on the 2022 cap and kick some of the can a year. I think it depends a lot with what happens to Harry. If they bring Harry back I think they will cut Star. If Harry walks I think Star will be here next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

This board is unhinged for the most part and thinks pretty much every draft pick is a bust. Allen may be the only one you couldn't find someone on here saying he's a bust and that's really just come in the last 2 weeks. 

…..BUT, there are still a bunch of folks who would still just have to say “but we should have taken Mahomes!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do people on this board still think that Ed Oliver is a bust?

No, but similar to Clowney he hasn't produced to the level most expected from his draft position. Still a player that continues to improve like he has is worth the investment.

No brainer on the 5th year option.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd say he is a very good player. He isn't great yet. That is true. But he is trending the right way.

Time will only tell. He is certainly someone I’d like to see on the Bills long term obviously. I think the only way he ascends into greatness is if he has better players around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Malazan said:

Pretty much agree. Viewing a game day thread confirms the bi-polar nature of the posters. One PLAY folks want Dabol/McD/Frazier FIRED. Next play they are HEROES. The same person(s). Just go back to any game day archive. It's comical. If you go back to Jaguar game thread, many posters wanted Josh replaced by Trubisky. (Permanently).          

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Really, they couldn’t find an equal to Edmonds lack luster play for $12.7M GUARANTEED?  That’s just non-sense.  Beane screwed the pooch and everyone with eyes can see it.

Name the player that would sign a 1 year deal for it that was available last offseason.

He seems like the perfect use of a 5th year option.  If I understand it correctly, he stands to make right at $10,000,000.  It’s definitely worth it for a one year deal, but the big question will be what do do with him long term.  He plays about 55% of the snaps, so you’ve got to include 2 salaries when deciding how much to allocate to his position.

28 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No, but similar to Clowney he hasn't produced to the level most expected from his draft position. Still a player that continues to improve like he has is worth the investment.

No brainer on the 5th year option.

The Clowney hype was MUCH greater, largely due to one play in college where he was completely unblocked and it made a good highlight. 

No question I’d rather have Oliver, especially at this point. It was amusing how Clowney thought every team in the league would be knocking on his door, and he just sat, and sat, and sat….before taking what he could get. 

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

He seems like the perfect use of a 5th year option.  If I understand it correctly, he stands to make right at $10,000,000.  It’s definitely worth it for a one year deal, but the big question will be what do do with him long term.  He plays about 55% of the snaps, so you’ve got to include 2 salaries when deciding how much to allocate to his position.

It’s how we roll with the deep rotation and a lot of guys to pay. We want to be sure our guys are fresh for the last 13 seconds of every game! 

I apologize, I am seeking help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.