Jump to content

Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?


FireChans
 Share

Recommended Posts

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

 

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

 

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

 

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

 

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bone bruise cannot be trivialized. One cannot just take pain medicine and ignore the symptoms. Despite Roethlisberger’s ironman reputation, he can’t just play through it. Edema or swelling in the bone can lead to complications and articular cartilage loss if not careful. What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone. Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal. Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play

 

 

per dr david chao

  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

 

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

 

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

 

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

 

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

 

I cant really say about the injury.  No idea what kind of pain the guy was in.  I thought his illnesses were a little strange though.  Its like he was in one week practice out the next, in the next one.  Some weird stuff.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty ridiculous to question whether a player should play injured & risk further injury without an understanding of his medical condition.  Unless the OP is Lamar's doctor his opinion is pretty worthless.  

 

As far as the media goes, anyone who crushes any injured player in the media also has a pretty worthless opinion.  

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think it's pretty ridiculous to question whether a player should play injured & risk further injury without an understanding of his medical condition.  Unless the OP is Lamar's doctor his opinion is pretty worthless.  

 

As far as the media goes, anyone who crushes any injured player in the media also has a pretty worthless opinion.  

Listen, Lamar wasn’t put on IR. 
 

there aren’t even articles trying to figure the extent of the injury. Just moratorium. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

People who question injuries are usually worthless cancers to society. I mean, malingering is a thing, but this is stupid.

I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go. I wouldn’t hold it against him personally. He’s gotta look out for himself, look what happened to Baker. He played hurt and played himself out of a long term deal.

 

I think there may be more to the story because on its face it seems kinda odd and it seemed to me to not really be discussed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go. I wouldn’t hold it against him personally. He’s gotta look out for himself, look what happened to Baker. He played hurt and played himself out of a long term deal.

 

I think there may be more to the story because on its face it seems kinda odd and it seemed to me to not really be discussed. 

He was also sick 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I think black QBs who are gifted runners just face less scrutiny from the media than your traditional, semi-mobile, stand in the pocket, white QB.  Its almost like they're given a pass and that doesn't sit right with me.  

Agreed. 

  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's bizarre. And I think the Ravens are nuts if they pay him what we paid Allen this offseason.

 

You really do have to wonder if he's another flash in the pan.

The jury is out on that one.  I don’t think he’ll last another 10 years like you hope for a franchise QB.  He can make an impact the next five years and then will probably get beat up.

 

I don’t see Baltimore giving him $258 mil., but he’ll probably get a solid contract.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, it was a strange season for him: Illness, a mystery injury, a lot of time off ??? There is probably more going on than we know. For his sake, I hope it is nothing serious. Of course, when against the Bills, I have no sympathy for him. But he seems like a genuinely good person, and as I said, I do hope whatever it is can be put in the rearview mirror soon.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever you say about the injury (and who really knows?) the real point here is that there is NO DOUBT who is the best QB of the 2018 draft.  Lamar was a good move by Baltimore at the end of the 1st round but he's a far cry from Josh.  He's still probably the second best QB from that draft but with a huge gap to first.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Whatever you say about the injury (and who really knows?) the real point here is that there is NO DOUBT who is the best QB of the 2018 draft. 

Agreed. Josh Rosen is by far the best QB of that draft as I think it's pretty obvious.

  • Haha (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

He was hurt, man.  They covered it plenty.  Even showed video of him trying to practice through the pain.  Guy was out there and he could barely walk.  Nothing "more to the story" than that.


 

This ⬆️.

 

He is a highly skilled, mobile player.  A bone bruise of the heel basically eliminates 75% of his game and their game plan.

 

A QB that is a straight pocket guy like Brady or Ben - bouncing on their toes and just standing back there from shotgun is totally different than the multidimensional player and if Jackson could not be himself and Harbaugh felt it could hurt the team - let him sit.

 

I feel exactly the opposite about Baker - why did they keep trotting him out when week after week it was obvious the injuries were holding the team back and you paid good money for a back-up familiar with the system and the coaches.  That was a David Carr-esqe season for Mayfield that could potentially set him, the team, and that fan base back and force a re-boot.  
 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

This ⬆️.

 

He is a highly skilled, mobile player.  A bone bruise of the heel basically eliminates 75% of his game and their game plan.

 

A QB that is a straight pocket guy like Brady or Ben - bouncing on their toes and just standing back there from shotgun is totally different than the multidimensional player and if Jackson could not be himself and Harbaugh felt it could hurt the team - let him sit.

 

I feel exactly the opposite about Baker - why did they keep trotting him out when week after week it was obvious the injuries were holding the team back and you paid good money for a back-up familiar with the system and the coaches.  That was a David Carr-esqe season for Mayfield that could potentially set him, the team, and that fan base back and force a re-boot.  
 

 

 

Having had a bad bone bruise in my soccer career I know it is no trivial matter. 

 

I am sure if there was a way to get him out there Baltimore would have got him out there. I wonder a bit if Harbaugh looked around and thought "down both starting tackles, down both starting corners, down all 3 running backs, no point risking Lamar long term here for a team that is going to be 1 and done even if we get in"

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

 

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

 

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

 

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

 

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 


IDK I think Lamar was hurt pretty badly and probably should have been put on IR.  The way they handled his injury was pretty odd.  It was reported as though he could start the next week after being carted off, but he did not.  Then the footage from practice came out and he was walking with a bad limp.  He probably shouldn’t have even practice - which speaks again to the severity of the injury.  
 

I’m not sure they didn’t just shut him down.  But if he was able to play in Week 17 or 18, it wouldn’t surprise me for Baltimore err on the side of caution since they were basically out of the playoffs 

 

The other strange injury designation was the game he missed to due to a sickness.  No idea what that was about 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It amazes me that people STILL question when a player is injured how injured he actually is. They didn’t put him on IR because Lamar was trying every week to be out there. The the same narrative plus out about Lamar that people have questioned since he was drafted-they should definitely make the back up the full time starter, Lamar can’t play QB, etc. you think Lamar didn’t want to play that final week with the playoffs on the line?

 

Hasnt everyone learned yet that the old school way of thinking about injuries is the wrong way to think about injuries? Are there not enough older players who can’t walk, have head issues, have difficulty moving, don’t have enough money to cover all of their medical bills…people need to change their thinking on what the players should/could do WRT when they are injured 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...