Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The difference is Lamar’s injury wasn’t talked about much at all. The guy is a superstar, on a playoff team (which was recently the 1 seed in the AFC), and it didn’t dominate the news cycle. Which is unusual, IMO

Nope - I asked you what you think the REASON is.  Answer the question and stop playing games.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Well even though this post is about big ben, it illustrates the seriousness of a bone bruise. Now there's possibility that Ben's breeze wasn't considered as bad. Also Ben is pretty much mobile to begin with. There's also a good possibility that it affected the power over velocity of which he couldn't throw his balls because he couldn't set maybe as well.  Also as far as the franchise was concerned they knew it was his last year in the league we probably weren't especially worried about his health. Now you jump to Lamar and this is a  guy that relies on his legs and may be the future of your franchise so you're not going to take the same risks with him and the risks are also far greater than they were with Ben

My confusion comes from this posts heading being -

"Does Anyone Think the Lamar Jackson Situation This Year was Strange" ???

42 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Did you stop following mainstream sports media after 2019?   Of course the media loved Jackson in 2019 when he won the MVP and the Ravens went 14-2, but in the last two years that statement has simply been untrue -- and especially in the second half of 2021.      Moreover, claiming that the media doesn't criticize Kyler Murray only underscores your ignorance.  He's been called out repeatedly on sports media in the second half of the season as the Cardinals collapsed.  In fact, following the debacle in the wild card round, several commentators have crucified him, questioning if he shouldn't give up football to go play pro baseball.

You are generous.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  Jackson only played 11 full games and his team was 7-4 in those games.   He was injured in the 12th game after making only 4 passing attempts.

The OP basically accused of Lamar Jackson hiding behind an injury based on nothing of substance on Jackson's part.   I think I'd call that "making stuff up" which is pretty malicious IMO.  

If anybody is going to question anything about Baltimore's 2021 season, then he or she should be questioning Harbaugh and the rest of the Ravens' brain trust.  Harbaugh deliberately declined to go to OT twice by going for 2-point conversions after his team got to within 1 point of their opponents.   If the Ravens win one of those games, they make the playoffs.  It was the Ravens' decision not to put Jackson on IR which was entirely reasonable but it surely wasn't Jackson's call.

I never claimed the media didn’t criticize Kyler so idk what you’re smoking my dude.

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nope - I asked you what you think the REASON is.  Answer the question and stop playing games.

Maybe Lamar has a larger injury, or other health issues that are an open secret, or at least heavily speculated on in the NFL that are going under reported.

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I never claimed the media didn’t criticize Kyler so idk what you’re smoking my dude.

Maybe Lamar has a larger injury, or other health issues that are an open secret, or at least heavily speculated on in the NFL that are going under reported.

Unfounded rumors have been circulating about Lamar and Crohn's disease.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/19/2022 at 1:03 AM, Comebackkid said:

A bone bruise cannot be trivialized. One cannot just take pain medicine and ignore the symptoms. Despite Roethlisberger’s ironman reputation, he can’t just play through it. Edema or swelling in the bone can lead to complications and articular cartilage loss if not careful. What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone. Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal. Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play

per dr david chao

I bruised my hip bone when I was young and couldn't walk for 2 months. It sure as hell cannot be trivialized

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is what you wrote: 

"I do think Lamar has gotten more love in the media than Josh even tho I believe that Josh is better but that’s the extent of my bias against him.

Besides the fact, if what you said was true AT ALL, why wouldn’t I pick the easier target of Kyler Murray? Way more topical and relevant. Or was that a part of my insidious plan to throw you  off the scent?? "

The media "love" for Jackson ran high at the beginning of the 2020 season because Jackson was coming off his MVP season after leading Baltimore to a 14-2 record while Allen was coming off a sophomore campaign in which he showed significant improvement and showed flashes of what he could become.   During the course of the 2020 season, the media's view of Allen changed dramatically in response to his great performance while Jackson's standing with the media stayed static.  Allen was touted for MVP by some media members.  During 2021, Allen has been lionized by the media, Jackson not so much even before he was injured.

Your statement about Jackson vs Allen was only valid until the beginning of the 2020 when Allen rewrote the narrative with his play during the season.  Today, I doubt that any media members outside of Baltimore  believe that Jackson is a better QB than Allen.

Your statement about Murray implies that the media gives him a pass.  Maybe they did last season but they surely haven't done that this year.

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This is what you wrote: 

"I do think Lamar has gotten more love in the media than Josh even tho I believe that Josh is better but that’s the extent of my bias against him.

Besides the fact, if what you said was true AT ALL, why wouldn’t I pick the easier target of Kyler Murray? Way more topical and relevant. Or was that a part of my insidious plan to throw you  off the scent?? "

The media "love" for Jackson ran high at the beginning of the 2020 season because Jackson was coming off his MVP season after leading Baltimore to a 14-2 record while Allen was coming off a sophomore campaign in which he showed significant improvement and showed flashes of what he could become.   During the course of the 2020 season, the media's view of Allen changed dramatically in response to his great performance while Jackson's standing with the media stayed static.  Allen was touted for MVP by some media members.  During 2021, Allen has been lionized by the media, Jackson not so much even before he was injured.

Your statement about Jackson vs Allen was only valid until the beginning of the 2020 when Allen rewrote the narrative with his play during the season.  Today, I doubt that any media members outside of Baltimore  believe that Jackson is a better QB than Allen.

Your statement about Murray implies that the media gives him a pass.  Maybe they did last season but they surely haven't done that this year.

I’m not talking about Kyler Murray because I DON’T think that. You got the intent of the statement backwards.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:02 AM, Mat68 said:

I think just as many kids like 17.  You get a little bit of both. 

I agree the Era of 17 is coming, I just feel like it's gonna be a year or so (barring an exciting super biwl win). I travel alot for work, and I'm yet to see a 17 jersey outside of NY and fresno, but I know the day is coming. I'm sure nickelodeon is wishing they had the bills game last week, that was a fun game to watch even for non football fans.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, colin said:

well, if he was being soft (doubtful) then you don't want him as your long term big dollar qb.

if he was actually hurt, it raises the specter of him being an injury magnet in the future, which also casts doubt on him being the long term big dollar qb.

all that aside, he was mvp and has been a touch down machine throughout his starting career, and baltimore doesn't have anyone lined up to replace him, has a team built around lamar, and has a pretty solid roster otherwise.  so i think he gets big dollars this offseason, the only question is what protection can they build into the contract?  i think they ink him up w a contract that gives them an out in years 2 or 3.  i don't think he gets less than 40 per year tho.

I think they’ll trade him and move on. It’s gotta happen sooner than later or he’ll get Harbough fired. 

They took the experiment as far as it could go. Time to rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree the Era of 17 is coming, I just feel like it's gonna be a year or so (barring an exciting super biwl win). I travel alot for work, and I'm yet to see a 17 jersey outside of NY and fresno, but I know the day is coming. I'm sure nickelodeon is wishing they had the bills game last week, that was a fun game to watch even for non football fans.

🤔 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, SoTier said:

Did you stop following mainstream sports media after 2019?   Of course the media loved Jackson in 2019 when he won the MVP and the Ravens went 14-2, but in the last two years that statement has simply been untrue -- and especially in the second half of 2021.      Moreover, claiming that the media doesn't criticize Kyler Murray only underscores your ignorance.  He's been called out repeatedly on sports media in the second half of the season as the Cardinals collapsed.  In fact, following the debacle in the wild card round, several commentators have crucified him, questioning if he shouldn't give up football to go play pro baseball.

You are generous.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  Jackson only played 11 full games and his team was 7-4 in those games.   He was injured in the 12th game after making only 4 passing attempts.

The OP basically accused of Lamar Jackson hiding behind an injury based on nothing of substance on Jackson's part.   I think I'd call that "making stuff up" which is pretty malicious IMO.  

If anybody is going to question anything about Baltimore's 2021 season, then he or she should be questioning Harbaugh and the rest of the Ravens' brain trust.  Harbaugh deliberately declined to go to OT twice by going for 2-point conversions after his team got to within 1 point of their opponents.   If the Ravens win one of those games, they make the playoffs.  It was the Ravens' decision not to put Jackson on IR which was entirely reasonable but it surely wasn't Jackson's call.

Curious how Andrews did in the games LJ was out.

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Curious how Andrews did in the games LJ was out.

Andrews led the Ravens to a record of 1-3, he completed 64.9 of his passes for 1081 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs.  82.6 QB rating.    The three losses were by 1 point to the Packers, 1 point to the Rams, and 3 points to the Steelers in OT.   The loss to the Packers resulted from Harbaugh deciding to go for a 2 point conversion to win the game rather than kick for a tie to go to OT.

The Ravens biggest loss was a 21-41 thrashing by the Bengals when both Jackson and Huntley were out.  I think this was a covid game.

At the extreme end of ‘bone bruise’ is Avascular Necrosis, which means that part of the bone dies due to lack of blood supply.

Example -> Bo Jackson’s hip - which ended his athletic career.

I wouldn’t pooh-pooh Lamar’s bone bruise.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hemma said:

At the extreme end of ‘bone bruise’ is Avascular Necrosis, which means that part of the bone dies due to lack of blood supply.

Example -> Bo Jackson’s hip - which ended his athletic career.

I wouldn’t pooh-pooh Lamar’s bone bruise.

The folks who are questioning the extent of his injury have never heard of vascular necrosis, let alone know what it is.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.