Jerry Hughes’ Last Regular Season Home Game?

Coach Tuesday

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I certainly hope Jerry has a chance to retire as a Bill. Maybe he comes back in a more limited role on a lower contract. Hard to say because he would have to agree that the time for this has come. He has had his bumps in the road but no doubt he has been a great Bill. Talk about a winning trade for Buffalo. I wish Jerry nothing but the best in his upcoming days and decisions.

Can see this happening.  The Bills drafted 3 DE early the past two seasons, so they are coming back.  Think they'd like to resign Obada, could see a 5th DE signed in Hughes at a much lower contract number.  McD likes the idea of a vet presence, considering the rest of their D-line are all pretty young. could see him coming back for one more season in this role before turning the keys over to likely Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1

Despite his relative struggles in the regular season, Hughes shows up in the playoffs.

In 5 playoff games for the Bills, Jerry has 6 sacks, including his impressive performance against Houston where he had 3 sacks, 4 combined tackles and 4 QB hits. He had 2 sacks in the Baltimore game where the defense put on one of their most memorable performances to date.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He won’t be back next year he’s barely hanging on as is right now 

Are you crazy???  He is the ONLY reason they held things down....the rooks have been less than satisfying and Jerry and Mario have played well in their absence......

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Are you crazy???  He is the ONLY reason they held things down....the rooks have been less than satisfying and Jerry and Mario have played well in their absence......

Maybe it's just me but I feel Groot has been much better then "less than satisfying". 

I have no clue how good Hughes is doing this season. So I have no idea if they will bring him back. To my eye test Hughes hasn't had too much of an impact PFF grades him out well and he had a few decent grades from All 22 earlier in the season. But from watching the games especially the back half of the season it looks like Hughes hasn't made much of an impact. The Bills have an interesting choice to make. Both Addision and Hughes are free agents and there isn't a proven option behind them. Behind Addision and Hughes you have Groot who flashed as a rookie and is a high round pick then you have Boogie and AJ two recent second round picks who haven't done too much. 

I think the front office brings back one of either Hughes or Addision just to have a proven vet DE but which one is the more productive of the two?

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Gonna guess your pickup truck has a sticker of Calvin peeing.

I'm guessing that you live in your mom's basement and that you played Madden once or twice so you think you know about football.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pretty amazing to see him mature. When he first got here, he would commit like at least 2-3 super dumb penalties per game. Was a bit of a hot head. 

Seems like he really matured and became a true process guy.

BTW, i saw Kelvin Sheppard the other day on TV— he is an assistant coach for the Lions.

He has most certainly matured and become a leader for the Bills.

I do tend to wonder if the same “Crazy” which let Hughes physically dominate, led him to be hot-headed and if in dialing back to “leader” and “contained” he also dialed back the over-the-top physical effort that made him a sack-master.

Or it could just be “Father Time”

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Hughes has always given non stop effort, and for that he has been one of my favorite players.

It will seem weird if he's not on the roster going into next year. I fondly remember the annual reports of Jerry tearing it up in training camp.

Not only effort, but consistency. 

He has played here for 10 years and missed 1 game (last year). 

i actually think the Bills May sign him to another 1-year deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He's always played with so much passion, that I always forgave him his occasional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. A fierce competitor, always.

He was also a member of what I consider to be a legendary front four: the '14 D-line of Williams, Williams, Darius, and Hughes, which recorded 40 sacks with the fewest number of blitzes by any team that season. (Hughes had 10).

(Which reminds me: in the not-unlikely event we lose Leslie Frazier during the offseason, I would love to see a return of Jim Schwarz as DC. He fits, imo.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's possible he's gone after the season.  It's been a case of diminishing returns.  The Bills have to decide how much he's worth, and Hughes has to decide what he'll accept in a contract.  It might be tough for Hughes and the Bills to find common ground.  I'd be happy to have him in a reduced role at a decent price though.  I think he's a good locker room guy and team mate.

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

sure am not. It’s possible to state how good he was and also admit he’s done and won’t be back next year. I’d like him to occasionally  sack the QB for a guy making the type of money he has. Addison , who has been a whipping boy here, has outsacked Hughes this year and last despite being older . It’s okay tho you can throw out the vaunted pressure rate to me about why he’s still good

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.