Ravens QB situation

saundena

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Huntley is not the physical specimen that Lamar is. Lamar is special, although limited. If you are going to hitch your wagon to a an extremely talented and athletic limited QB, pick the most talented one.

Agree. Huntley is an athletic Quarterback. Lamar is the best athlete to have ever played the position. I like Huntley. I have liked him since the 2020 East-West Shrine game when I said he could end up a serviceable NFL backup in the right situation behind a mobile starter. But there is a drop off from Lamar Jackson to Tyler Huntley, as well he played last night that is just a fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think there's anybody that has watched Josh Allen play and Lamar Jackson play 

And think Lamar is the better quarterback

Most every Bills fan agrees 100%, but there are still a lot of Lamar fans in the press and he is one QB that when you take shots at him they can be misconstrued or one's motives questioned.

I think Jackson will be the Ravens QB going forward.  I think Hunley is mobile enough to serve as a backup in Roman Gabriel's scheme, but he also has a more rounded skill set that gives him upside as either a reliable backup or borderline starter in a more conventional offense.

15 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was thinking this today and last week. The drop off between Lamar and Huntley hasn’t been anywhere near the level that I expected. I’ve even found myself watching Huntley play and thinking “Lamar doesn’t make that throw”. 

Huntley is playing within that offense and making the smart throw. Lamar doesn't do that.

Just thinking out loud but what would field the better and more competitive team?

A) Lamar Jackson

B) Huntley + $35M(ish) cap space + the boatload of high draft picks some team would gladly fork over for Lamar.

Could easily see some team like Carolina, Washington, Detroit or even Seattle if they part ways with Wilson paying a hefty price to get Lamar.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The talk I have heard in area from Baltimore fans who hang out in that crowd (they have pictures of themselves and players at parties in MD) that they believe Ravens are masking some of his illnesses calling them other things

What does this even mean?  What are you implying?

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Most every Bills fan agrees 100%, but there are still a lot of Lamar fans in the press and he is one QB that when you take shots at him they can be misconstrued or one's motives questioned.

Mostly every single player coach and media person in the league agrees 

I'd like to hear one person's opinion today.. in the NFL circle.. that thinks Lamar is a better quarterback than Josh Allen

Not a runner or explosive athlete.. a better quarterback

I don't think you'll find one person

The issue here will be price. There’s no doubt his agent will begin negotiations by asking for him go be the highest paid QB in the league. Where they from there is anyone’s guess, but he may even end up getting more than Josh. QB contracts are not measured by skill, but rather when they sign them. They keep going higher and higher. And this could very well end up being a horrible contract for Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The issue here will be price. There’s no doubt his agent will begin negotiations by asking for him go be the highest paid QB in the league. Where they from there is anyone’s guess, but he may even end up getting more than Josh. QB contracts are not measured by skill, but rather when they sign them. They keep going higher and higher. And this could very well end up being a horrible contract for Baltimore. 

One would think they learned a bit from the Flacco contract 

20 hours ago, saundena said:

The Ravens have to make a decision on whether or not to pay Lamar.  He's obviously a very good player, limited in some respects- yes; but also talented enough to take over a game.  But do you give him what could be the biggest contract in league history knowing that he's a big injury and his running skills will deteriorate over time?

From what I've seen from Tyler Huntley, there doesn't seem to be a big drop off between him and Lamar.   I wonder if he can get even better with more time and reps.

I wonder if anybody in their front office thinks that the smart play might be to let Lamar walk if he asks for too much and hitch their wagon to Huntley instead.  They have very similar play styles and with how accommodating Greg Roman is, I think they'd be fine

youve completely missed on the actual substantial gap in talent between the two. Otherwise, spot on.

19 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’ve had this thought a lot recently… but that doesn’t mean it’s right. 

If you’re an NFL franchise and you’re not sure about paying your QB… don’t. Find a comparable player, albeit with some drop off, give him very little money and build a team around him. 

I’ve observed it with Lamar/Huntley and I think the same thing can be said for Baker/Mullens. Obviously Lamar and Baker are more talented… but if they can’t put it together why waste the money? 

In a vacuum, i think you are absolutely right. If the decision was based on a longer-view strategy than what it feels like most/all teams operate under (gm lifespans??).

And if other realities didnt exist of course, too. 

5 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Huntley is playing within that offense and making the smart throw. Lamar doesn't do that.

Just thinking out loud but what would field the better and more competitive team?

A) Lamar Jackson

B) Huntley + $35M(ish) cap space + the boatload of high draft picks some team would gladly fork over for Lamar.

Could easily see some team like Carolina, Washington, Detroit or even Seattle if they part ways with Wilson paying a hefty price to get Lamar.

I would take B all day everyday.  They easily get three 1st round picks for Lamar

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.