Is it Zero Depth or Bad Coaching?

BuffaloBaumer

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Players need to execute and hold onto to the ball. The coaches can only do so much.

I think you're right on the depth perspective. We need better space eaters at DT. The offensive line needs to revamped and I hope they address it in free agency.

We need someone who can play NOW. 

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The trenches of this team are lacking. I fully expect Beane to go all out this off-season.

We need to pump these guys up with steroids, growth hormone, hyperbaric oxegen and prp asap !!!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Too many excuses!  It's a 17 game season and all teams have injuries on the way through that.  I don't believe Edmunds or Star would have flipped the game.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not excusing their poor play or the poor coaching.  We lost to a very poor Jags team which we should have beaten, even with backups.  Against the Colts we needed to be at 100% to stand a chance at matching up against them.  

Perhaps good coaching creates the depth? 49ers, Ravens, Browns, Pats Titans would force Edmund and Star to start. Thanksgiving, Pats 2x and Jets, that's the season.

This game, just like Jags, turnovers. Allen 2 INTs, McKenzie's fumble. 21 points.

Let me go thru the lineup and you make your own call. 

QB - great depth.  Maybe top in league 

WR - great depth.  Top 5 or so in league.  

That's where the good ends. 

Oline - starting 5 likely wouldn't start on most teams outside Moarse.  0 depth.  

TE - 0 depth

Dline - lots of depth but starting 5 is meh at best. Star goes down they suck.  

Linebacker - 0 depth.  Klein as 3rd is decent but behind that nothing. 

Safety - good starters.  Behind that.  Meh

Corners - 0 depth.  2 good starters 1 serviceable.  Nada beyond that.  

We have not much depth unfortunately.  Every injury hurts but when you take star Edmunds and brown out its a big problem because their back ups aren't close. 

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Oline - starting 5 likely wouldn't start on most teams outside Moarse.  0 depth.  

TE - 0 depth

We have not much depth unfortunately.  Every injury hurts but when you take star Edmunds and brown out its a big problem because their back ups aren't close. 

I’d love to see your research on the Bengals 4th CB and how he compares to Dane Jackson.

Lol

11 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

TE - 0 depth

Disagree about the Secondary

All we've found out is the depth we thought we had on oline and dline was basically guys that at one point in a game may have played good once.  

The D line rotation is rotating in old or bad for decent and the rookies.  Is AJ alive?

The oline depth is non existent.   

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Disagree about the Secondary

All we've found out is the depth we thought we had on oline and dline was basically guys that at one point in a game may have played good once.  

The D line rotation is rotating in old or bad for decent and the rookies.  Is AJ alive?

The oline depth is non existent.   

I think the coaches told Epenesa to lose another 20 pounds.  We’re not allowed to be physical on either side of the ball.  

42 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Zero Depth.  Bean has stacked average picks upon average picks.    The D line rotation scares no one, and the OL is awful.  

You hit it perfectly.  Our lines are lousy.  The best player is a 3rd round rookie from Northern Iowa.  And what has he played 4 games maybe?   Football is a game of physicality.  On the lines you need toughness and fight.  Team is not constructed to play physical Northern football.  Losing to anyone 41-15 is unacceptable.  We have beaten the dregs of the NFL for the most part this year.  It will be a chore to get to 10 wins this year if it does not get fixed this week.  The wheels can fall off real quick.  Not a team of tough old veterans.  Josh looked beaten down, confused and almost disinterested at times.  Although his physical ability is ridiculous-case in point the 2 pt run in the 4th qtr.  The vibe of this years team has been lousy since the week 1 against Pittsburgh.  Very disappointing.  Need a fairly big overhaul in the offseason.  McDermott needs to certainly look at what he is doing right and wrong.  Because we were not prepared today for the slugfest that Indy brought to the party.  

How about we start by bringing a physical RB that can hit a hole?  My god Fred Jackson was much more physical then these jokers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

First of all, the colts are a very good team and a super bowl contender. I thought this before the game.

Having said that, when you get beat that bad, it's everything. Yes, we missed four important players and lack depth but no one played well for us and the coaches and Agamemnon let the team down. I don't think our RBs are good for anything. We should waive them at the end of the season.. they are not nfl backs and shame on Beane for completely ignoring Athletic scoring here. They're not athletic enough. Two wasted third round picks! Plus that second on Ford and only four blue chippers on the roster in Allen, Diggs, White and Bass. IDK, go through the roster to look for value and it is hard to find.... Poyer And Hyde, yes. The 2017 draft, yes.... We had all better hope Epenesa, Groot and Boogie are for real. They're flashing but young. We need impact from them though....

There is more than a lousy guard play wrong with our offense. Whether Allen is a slow learner or our weapons are not as good as we think, the offense is just f***ed up.

The D is good not great. It needs an impact pass rusher, I hope one of the three hit or at least all three are very good. A very good defensive line has two guys that you have to game plan for, we have none.

and omg we are dependent on an old man (Star) to play DT. How'd that happen? We're missing Zimmer as well.

We need Tremaine whenever we have to play a good RB, sad to say.

Yes, Beane does deserve some ***** the way the roster looks now....

The Bills needs from big need to lesser needs: DT, G, G/C, RB, CB, TE, WR....

The Bills need a second good all around TE to run some 12 offense and run the ball (behind our new line and to our new RBs.)

The Bills also need an upgrade over Sanders (and Davis). A big, very fast WR like every team in the NFL seems to have. How do we have none? Someone to change the way safeties play us.

Get the DT and the guards is just the first important step. We should have money by letting go of Addison, Sanders and Hughes plus we have 9 picks. If Beane can draft better, make every single pick count, we have a chance.

A lot of F***ing work to do..... A lot.

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

You hit it perfectly.  Our lines are lousy.  The best player is a 3rd round rookie from Northern Iowa.  And what has he played 4 games maybe?   Football is a game of physicality.  On the lines you need toughness and fight.  Team is not constructed to play physical Northern football.  Losing to anyone 41-15 is unacceptable.  We have beaten the dregs of the NFL for the most part this year.  It will be a chore to get to 10 wins this year if it does not get fixed this week.  The wheels can fall off real quick.  Not a team of tough old veterans.  Josh looked beaten down, confused and almost disinterested at times.  Although his physical ability is ridiculous-case in point the 2 pt run in the 4th qtr.  The vibe of this years team has been lousy since the week 1 against Pittsburgh.  Very disappointing.  Need a fairly big overhaul in the offseason.  McDermott needs to certainly look at what he is doing right and wrong.  Because we were not prepared today for the slugfest that Indy brought to the party.  

How about we start by bringing a physical RB that can hit a hole?  My god Fred Jackson was much more physical then these jokers.

Spencer Brown has been the top rated Rookie Tackle with Rashawn Slater.  We don’t need to keep saying “Rookie 3rd Rounder”… He’s good, and has an unlimited ceiling.  

That said, your vibe comment is so on point.  Allen loses his cool on the Ford false start.   Team visibly looks shaken at times.  Obvious frustration late hit on the 3rd down conversion out of half.   They don’t look to be in a good place mentally.   

Also, beyond this defense getting smoked, the constant long drives in some of these games are an absolute vibe killer.  Defense gets tired, Offense can’t get a rhythm and time just drips off the clock.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Its definitely poor depth but coaches aren't adapting to the players we have. When ford is in there we need to run more and go with more 22 personnel, like we did last week.

Defense should go more 43 against physical teams or 52 if you dont have the LBs, lord knows we have enough Dlineman.

Agree when we play run heavy teams. We should get out of nickle D.  Taylor was running with purpose and putting Dodson in couldn't hurt.

All those "fresh legs" on the DL sure didn't help today.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Cleveland is 6-5

SF is 5-5

Ravens are 7-3

Buffalo is 6-4

I'm not seeing your point here. Only one team in OP's post has a better record and only by 1 game.

They don't have anything more figured out than Buffalo does at this point

All of those teams have had way worse injuries including multiple weeks at quarterback.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Evian said:

This team is soft. That is all on the coaching staff and GM. How do you build a soft team to play in Buffalo? It looks like a Miami or Los Angeles team, not a Buffalo team. This team looked like a team that wanted no part of playing in the cold  with wind and rain.

It is like they are short of true leaders , guys who wouldn’t let the team lose.  Here they just “ don’t get too up or too down “ , it’s the 24 hour rule or one game only philosophy that is prevalent.  It’s like a win or a  loss means nothing as it’s “ only one game “ !  Where are guys like Talley, Jim, Thurman, Bruce, Hull, and of course , Levy!?  It’s an emotionless brand of football. No pride when you keep getting pounded AT HOME!  I’m sorry , but the league has quickly caught up to this one dimensional offensive philosophy and when it starts to go bad, there are no older vocal vets to depend on for experience or guidance.  Josh is a great person , good qb, but too young to really have developed leadership skills that can will the team to a win. He has shown he starts to push, his sideline demeanor is dramatically different when things start going bad.  I dont blame him, this is on Mcd who has preached team so much it seems he has coached individuality out of the teams psyche.   This was a performance AFTER. A players only meeting!  Who is holding anyone accountable?  

Why is Daboll not accountable for lack of creativity finding ways to get Brieda the ball  until game 9 of the season despite terrible production by Moss ( who lacks focus with at least one drop a game)  ?  The offense looks unfocused,,,no semblance of last years successful passing game !  Of course, Mcd and Beane are responsible for this horrible o line along with Johnson.   All the money on the d line yet we produce NO SAcks. !  We have talent like horrible Harry who is indeed horrible!  How many times did we see him driven backwards today? So you have a talent  deficit, coupled with a lack of true leaders on the team.  Hyde and Poyer  are good leaders but I don’t see much past that, and don’t most teams have their d leaders on the line or LB positions? White is a good player , but not a very vocal leader. Edmunds is becoming better but again , kind of a reserved leader.  On O , other than when Josh is playing well, who is SERIOUS and holds guys accountable ,,,,Diggs?   Morse is another cerebral , yet soft spoken leader. When is a receiver a prominent leader on a team, and BTW, SANDERS HAS become MIA. THEY WERE THE BIckering BILLs, but Kelly , Reed, Thurman played with passion and were not hesitant to call each other out.  This is such a PC TEAM, we don’t see anything like that on this team because they have had passion coached out for mcds business like approach. You don’t see excitement ( passion) on this teams sideline like we used too when they were arguably less talented. Now they look at it as just “ one game” and it’s just one of so many with no sense that these losses mean anything as they almost “ expect “ to go on a run like they did last year.   Yet there is little creativity in the game plans from week to week ! 

The big losses keep piling up , as each year we see at least one or two of a typical blowout , where the team gets spanked in mcds tenure.  Pretty unusual when you supposedly have so much talent and you are in year 5 of your coaching plan. If you watched the recent Pats game, that d plays with passion and they actually hit the qb!  Our d was tough against bottom feeders but so far teams with some talent have breezed thru us.  KC looks much better now,  because they adjusted! We knew Taylor was coming and wentz was perhaps their weak link, yet Frazier and Mcd kept with our nickel and the result was.a 5 touchdown performance from Taylor.  Would Belicheck allow Taylor to single handedly take over the game,,,,,not usually his style as his players talk about the constant changing game plans.  Perhaps we are seeing why Daboll and Frazier are not getting offered head jobs !?  This has been a season of bad game planning by Daboll except against the lowly jets.  Yet don’t forget his O scored ZERO TDS against the jags!  Look at the passion of Frank reich who obviously didn’t forget that tight loss to the Bills last year. He has turned the team around after a slow start , as has Belicheck !  What are we seeing from Mcd and Frazier;  no creativity , same D  and Daboll is  ALLOWED to ignore or destroy our run game. ( and seeing brieda , perform today , it doesn’t look impossible to be able to run, they just keep returning with bad performances by moss as acceptable).  

Leadership, passion on this team seems deficient and it starts at the top.  Hate, call me an idiot , etc but the old axiom is true; you are what your record is !  Their goal was home field playoff games this year.  How sad is it to be behind a mediocre qb in Jones , and right now to be the last qualifying team for the playoffs !?  So far this is one of the poorest coaching performances I can remember watching as other teams continue to overcome and pass us by.  This O looks progressively worse, and our d scares no one!  Frazier could not slow down Taylor and Daboll remains one dimensional and can’t coach Josh out of taking bad sacks when in fg range. We also continue to kill drive after drive with horrible penalties. Let’s not forget our special  teams  who can’t run a return without a flag and mckenzie has one more critical fumble than any great returns!  

We are 6-4 , behind the pats , and it’s looking a lot like another.wasted year losing 3 of 4 as SB aspirations seem very distant. Not many wild card teams get that far , esp with a lack of leaders who spout cliches after every mounting loss.  Love the Bills; hate this type of play where all we hear is platitudes.  Will gladly apologize if Mcd turns this around but let’s see how we play the Bucs and pats, and if we can ever win two in a row ( or even beat the saints). The jags game was supposed to be our galvanizing game; who knew it would be more of an accurate assessment of our true direction!  This team looks directionless., and devoid if oasdion.  They are definitely humble , but I don’t see the hunger they once had ! Once this team gets more than a one possession deficit , it is getting a reputation for imploding! Coaching and leadership are deficient at this point, based on this past month of results! Where are some true impact  players on our heavily invested D line?   Writing this as I watch the Steelers show what talent and passion can produce! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.