Our main problem may be unfixable this year

oldmanfan

The three losses and the tough game last week show the main problem:  our O line simply isn’t strong.  And by that I mean actual physical strength.  Has nothing to do with blocking schemes (although how Williams lets that guy walk in unblocked the last series is a mystery), coaching, play calling.  It is simply that the guys on our O line do not have the physical strength to move guys in the run game not stand up to guys rushing.  

How many times have we seen guys just get pushed straight back by a D lineman?  I think I saw it every passing play this game, at least one lineman got blown up.  If your guys are physically weaker than their guys, there’s no quick fix.  It’s not like guys like Morse or Ike are going to suddenly get stronger.

At this point all you can do is put guys like Bates or the other rookie T in there and hope they can bear up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There were similar problems last year. By the Steelers Sunday night game, it was supposedly fixed. Chiefs brought it out but WRs were all limping besides Diggs who got mobbed. Three awful turnovers, Edmunds roughing the passer, and Dawkins belly flopping a guy when he was already on the ground. They looked hung over or sick or something. I think I had covid. It's sort of like how they acted. Healthy one day, sick the next, irritable and just mental blocks, like you know something but just can't think of it.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Williams is a big worry... 

he is.  But that’s the deck we’ve been dealt this year.  More often than not, Williams is exposed by the speed rush.  At least he won’t be on an island playing RG.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PaulieYayo said:

No running backs worth a damn on the roster doesnt help either 

At what point do you just say “listen fellas, you ain’t getting the job done. We’re gonna start giving other guys opportunities until someone steps up” 

I was never a fan of the Brieda sign but can it get an worse. We also have Williams who had a great game against Miami last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

We just need to hope brown coming back to RT and shifting Williams to RG will be enough.  

had a feeling this was going to happen.  OL, RBs and run game puts our passing game in jeopardy.

Brown wasn't even supposed to start this year. Beane did little to address the OL, and it is coming back to bite them. I think it will be the major area of concentration next off season. A good RB is also needed--- there is no ground game currently (other than Allen scrambles).

Edited by par73

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The three losses and the tough game last week show the main problem:  our O line simply isn’t strong.  And by that I mean actual physical strength.  Has nothing to do with blocking schemes (although how Williams lets that guy walk in unblocked the last series is a mystery), coaching, play calling.  It is simply that the guys on our O line do not have the physical strength to move guys in the run game not stand up to guys rushing.  

How many times have we seen guys just get pushed straight back by a D lineman?  I think I saw it every passing play this game, at least one lineman got blown up.  If your guys are physically weaker than their guys, there’s no quick fix.  It’s not like guys like Morse or Ike are going to suddenly get stronger.

At this point all you can do is put guys like Bates or the other rookie T in there and hope they can bear up.

Yeah this is completely true.  I wouldn’t say it’s the entire OL but definitely the two guards.  If you can fault Brandon Beane it’s not trying to upgrade from Cody Ford and John Feliciano.  Ford was injured, so maybe you can give him a pass.  Not really sure there was any reason to re-sign Feliciano who probably won’t be here in 2022.  

Morse is not the most physically imposing Center but he’s a good pass blocker and IMO is good enough at Center.  

21 minutes ago, BananaB said:

At what point do you just say “listen fellas, you ain’t getting the job done. We’re gonna start giving other guys opportunities until someone steps up” 

I was never a fan of the Brieda sign but can it get an worse. We also have Williams who had a great game against Miami last year. 

Brieda was activated for Moss during Week 1.  He didn’t fare any better because there was nowhere to run.  

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah this is completely true.  I wouldn’t say it’s the entire OL but definitely the two guards.  If you can fault Brandon Beane it’s not trying to upgrade from Cody Ford and John Feliciano.  Ford was injured, so maybe you can give him a pass.  Not really sure there was any reason to re-sign Feliciano who probably won’t be here in 2022.  

Morse is not the most physically imposing Center but he’s a good pass blocker and IMO is good enough at Center.  

Brieda was activated for Moss during Week 1.  He didn’t fare any better because there was nowhere to run.  

He got like 3 carries. 😂  They got their mind made up on him after 3 carries but can’t decide between Motor and Moss after a year and a half of mediocre play. 🤣 

They just combined for 20 yards against a 1-6 team. Believe me buddy, it can’t get any worse. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He got like 3 carries. 😂  They got their mind made up on him after 3 carries but can’t decide between Motor and Moss after a year and a half of mediocre play. 🤣 

They just combined for 20 yards against a 1-6 team. Believe me buddy, it can’t get any worse. 

Right, but how much of that 20 yards was the fault of the running backs versus the O-Line?  I am willing to bet it’s mostly the line which is why I don’t think Breida will make much of a difference 

5 minutes ago, BananaB said:

This is what I’m thinking, at least he has speed who knows maybe he gets lucky and breaks one. 

If my memory is correct, Singletary lead the league in yards per carry his rookie year.  In my mind, you don’t just lose this kind of ability.  I agree our line is grossly inadequate.  But I don’t like our running scheme - zone blocking.  I feel like it doesn’t fit our personnel. Any thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Right, but how much of that 20 yards was the fault of the running backs versus the O-Line?  I am willing to bet it’s mostly the line which is why I don’t think Breida will make much of a difference 

The oline is not the only problem in our run game, RBs are an issue as well.  Both units ain’t getting the job done, both units gotta get fixed.  We have made changes on the line but still get the same ***** production out of our RBs. Even with changes the oline is still a problem. But we continue to trot the same two ***** backs on the field every *****inh week

Edited by BananaB

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

We just need to hope brown coming back to RT and shifting Williams to RG will be enough.  

had a feeling this was going to happen.  OL, RBs and run game puts our passing game in jeopardy.

...not to mention Josh's life.  We wondered so long why Josh had to resort to hero ball. Today answered that question.  And Daboll has no clue how to fix it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The main problem is the Bills seem to have a lax attitude this year and seem to not be as well prepared, focused and in take care of business mode as they were last year.

Forget the OLine. There is ZERO excuse to ever lose to the Jags. They simply thought they could show up and win.

This is largely the same OL that gave Josh plenty of time last year to have a breakout season, and get paid a record setting contract. The only thing that's changed is Williams got paid and now he seems to have checked out.  

At this point we just kinda have to hope something clicks for this offense as a whole. Seems absolutely crazy to say about what was the #1 scoring offense going into today's debacle, but the whole thing is misfiring on all cylinders right now, not just the O Line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.