11/7/21 Bills @ Jaguars Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

13 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Offense was brutally bad today.  No one escapes criticism.   Line was.  OTs were slow and acted liked turnstiles.  RBs were MIA.   Allen was rushed and he reverted to hero mode often.  WRs could not get open which is shocking due to the amount of blitzing Jacksonville did.  The Bills, post bye week, has played one good quarter of offense out of eight.  That is a top down problem.  Dabol has to go back to the drawing board.  Allen has to make better choices.  Overall the talent in the O line is not what they thought it was.  The Bills will make the play offs but the weak O line will thwart Super Bowl dreams.

I largely agree with this with the exception that the O-line is way worse then we thought it was.  Its not NFL caliber.  This calls for a complete reworking of the O-line and offensive game plan to include, IF Brown can't go this week, the following:

*  Start the other rookie at RT and move Williams to guard. 

*  Activate Bridda at RB.  We need the speed.

*  Put #41 and #89 (assuming Knox can't go) in the backfield to provide max protection. 

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

With a few sobering hours to reflect....I'm more and more cool on Daboll. He had a pretty crappy gameplan, but worse a bad ability to adapt in game. 

Man ...in a tight game there is just no need to structure the offense with high risk stuff with the 2020 defense. If we would have had some juicier QB runs, more heavy looks, toss sweeps, jet sweeps, we would have won. Play calling has to match the tempo of a game, especially adjustments. 

But who do we put in to run a "heavy" look?  A third string practice squad TE and an experimental FB?  And our RB's are not built to execute a heavy run package. They made the assumption that the O-line would at least be competent and that Allen and the WR's would carve people up.  The problem is that at best this year the O-line has been below average and today it was way below the NFL minimum for a functional unit.  It really was that bad.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Nitro said:

The Bills will make the play offs but the weak O line will thwart Super Bowl dreams.

That's a little bold at this point. I think we need to show we can still win some games before we start talking about playoffs.

Edited by galept

The one thing I cant understand about Daboll is why he doesnt recognize the obvious reality of having a terrible offensive line and no running attack by using a different focus during the days preceding a game or adjusting with different playcalls in game. This never seems to happen. Daboll had to know that Dawson Knox being out has really hurt the game plan the past couple of games and that his replacements are just not up to it.  Its the same thing with Beane not even trying to fix this on the trade deadline by bringing in somebody else in, either a lineman or a RB. What is with the paralysis in the decision making? If there was nobody out there to bring in then fine, thats the Bills bad luck, but at least tweak the game plan to play to the strengths of your Oline and running game and not to their weaknesses. Running those plays with that line today was just dumb. Especially when it became apparent pretty early on that the Jags were having an easy time pressuring Josh and stopping the run. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 97bills said:

Win you can rush 4 and get that much pressure and drop everyone it’s not hard. Oh and don’t worry about the running game at all. I think one of the announcers even said it during the game the defense pays no attention to the running backs on the way to hit Allen. 

That's not good when teams don't respect your run game. 

45 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Offense was brutally bad today.  No one escapes criticism.   Line was.  OTs were slow and acted liked turnstiles.  RBs were MIA.   Allen was rushed and he reverted to hero mode often.  WRs could not get open which is shocking due to the amount of blitzing Jacksonville did.  The Bills, post bye week, has played one good quarter of offense out of eight.  That is a top down problem.  Dabol has to go back to the drawing board.  Allen has to make better choices.  Overall the talent in the O line is not what they thought it was.  The Bills will make the play offs but the weak O line will thwart Super Bowl dreams.

Well said.

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The one thing I cant understand about Daboll is why he doesnt recognize the obvious reality of having a terrible offensive line and no running attack by using a different focus during the days preceding a game or adjusting with different playcalls in game. This never seems to happen. Daboll had to know that Dawson Knox being out has really hurt the game plan the past couple of games and that his replacements are just not up to it.  Its the same thing with Beane not even trying to fix this on the trade deadline by bringing in somebody else in, either a lineman or a RB. What is with the paralysis in the decision making? If there was nobody out there to bring in then fine, thats the Bills bad luck, but at least tweak the game plan to play to the strengths of your Oline and running game and not to their weaknesses. Running those plays with that line today was just dumb. Especially when it became apparent pretty early on that the Jags were having an easy time pressuring Josh and stopping the run. 

We need gailey. I am kidding but seriously he found ways to produce with awful OL. 

29 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I largely agree with this with the exception that the O-line is way worse then we thought it was.  Its not NFL caliber.  This calls for a complete reworking of the O-line and offensive game plan to include, IF Brown can't go this week, the following:

*  Start the other rookie at RT and move Williams to guard. 

*  Activate Bridda at RB.  We need the speed.

*  Put #41 and #89 (assuming Knox can't go) in the backfield to provide max protection. 

Changes need to be made. I'm not sure this whole sale changes in mid season are the answer. Your season has some validity but it doesn't seem to be the Bills offenaive strengths or identity.

I’m going to get criticized for this but I don’t care.

Our d-line sucks at collapsing the pocket and getting pressure. Groot is decent against the run but he’s invisible at actually getting pressure off the edge. He gets coverage sacks and that’s really it.

Epenesa had a great preseason and was unblockable. Well, that’s because he was going against our o-line. He’s another guy who is largely invisible every week. 

We used a 2nd round pick on Boogie just for him to be a healthy scratch almost every week. Not that I think he’s going to be a great lad rusher either but it just goes to the point that it’s a poor use of resources. 

Our offense needs a complete makeover. Our RBs are just guys. The interior of offensive line needs a complete overhaul. Two of our top 3 WRs are on the wrong side of 30 with one of them only here on a 1 year deal. 

It’s a copy cat league and teams are seeing that all it takes is to just send 4 rushers and play 2 high safeties to essentially eliminate every big and explosive play. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Bean sucks.   Running game sucked last year, still sucks.  OL sucks last year, no material changes made. 

JA can’t throw and our backup RB’s can run behind this awful OL 

We have not beat a team with a winning record (unless KC now has one?). 

52 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

With a few sobering hours to reflect....I'm more and more cool on Daboll. He had a pretty crappy gameplan, but worse a bad ability to adapt in game. 

Man ...in a tight game there is just no need to structure the offense with high risk stuff with the 2020 defense. If we would have had some juicier QB runs, more heavy looks, toss sweeps, jet sweeps, we would have won. Play calling has to match the tempo of a game, especially adjustments. 

MCD also sucks in game 

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Our d-line sucks at collapsing the pocket and getting pressure. Groot is decent against the run but he’s invisible at actually getting pressure off the edge. He gets coverage sacks and that’s really it.

Epenesa had a great preseason and was unblockable. Well, that’s because he was going against our o-line. He’s another guy who is largely invisible every week. 

We used a 2nd round pick on Boogie just for him to be a healthy scratch almost every week. Not that I think he’s going to be a great lad rusher either but it just goes to the point that it’s a poor use of resources. 

Our offense needs a complete makeover. Our RBs are just guys. The interior of offensive line needs a complete overhaul. Two of our top 3 WRs are on the wrong side of 30 with one of them only here on a 1 year deal. 

It’s a copy cat league and teams are seeing that all it takes is to just send 4 rushers and play 2 high safeties to essentially eliminate every big and explosive play. 

I don't agree with everything you posted but it is a fair take.  Another poster noted that we're sitting three D-linemen who would likely make the D-line rotation on a lot of NFL teams every week while putting O-linemen on the field who wouldn't play for most teams.  That is a waste of resources. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Bean is overrated.  Basham is inactive while OL Humphrey is an all pro per PFF.  Groot is just as you said.  He is Lawson 2.0.   W have zero elite talent on the OL or DL.  I cant think of a SB caliber team without an elite player at either spot.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don't understand the lack of D-Line pressure no matter who we play.  It's almost like it's a scheme or coaching issue, we have this huge rotation of players but Addison still plays 60% of snaps.  

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

No criticism here. Your points are valid. The Bills weaknesses are being exposed. The game is mostly won on both side of the lines. Currently, the Bills Oline is clearly not a strong suit. Can they improve? Will they have enough to contribute to a super bowl run? It's a week to week game. After this week, it's hard to feel confident about the Bills chances to hoist the Lombardi trophy. Fortunately, the Bills have time to make adjustments and improvements. The coaches and players will be tested and challenged. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Bean is overrated.  Basham is inactive while OL Humphrey is an all pro per PFF.  Groot is just as you said.  He is Lawson 2.0.   W have zero elite talent on the OL or DL.  I cant think of a SB caliber team without an elite player at either spot.  

I have hope that Groote can develop into an elite D lineman and if Oliver keeps getting better he can become an elite defensive tackle.  But your observation is spot on - there is not currently an elite lineman on either side of the ball playing for the Bills.  And while the D-line has a lot of solid talent you could argue that the best Bill's O-lineman is only average - and maybe not even that.  This is why it's critical that Brown develop into a top flight tackle.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I have hope that Groote can develop into an elite D lineman and if Oliver keeps getting better he can become an elite defensive tackle.  But your observation is spot on - there is not currently an elite lineman on either side of the ball playing for the Bills.  And while the D-line has a lot of solid talent you could argue that the best Bill's O-lineman is only average - and maybe not even that.  This is why it's critical that Brown develop into a top flight tackle.

great reply.  totally agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't understand the lack of D-Line pressure no matter who we play.  It's almost like it's a scheme or coaching issue, we have this huge rotation of players but Addison still plays 60% of snaps.  

The defense gave up 9 points today. Come on this loss was on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a lot more to say about this mess, but will add that Dawkins noticeably stuck out to me today as being horrendous. It felt like there were multiple plays in a row where he got completely embarrassed. Something seemed off with him, I've never seen him play that consistently awful. He looked gassed.

If Moss is ok, I’d like to see Motor sit next week. Despite all the off season talk, he’s still the same guy he was last year. Go with Brieda and Moss. Get more speed on the field. Praying Brown and Knox are back next week. I’d cut Ford and either raid a PS olineman from another team or activate Stevenson. Ford is done here. 

Edited by TheProcess

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I'm not implying it isn't, but the fact that our D-Line doesn't really get sacks is kind of a head scratcher.

The O-Line is obviously the biggest issue moving forward, as it's limiting the whole offense.  I just want to see a more dominating front from the D-Line, they definitely move people off their mark but they need to get home more.  

• Like (+1) 2

Seeing a lot of Breida chatter which I get, but keep in mind that he hasn't seen an end zone since he was in San Francisco, and even that year he only saw it twice. He really hasn't done anything at RB in two years. I don't think Matt Breida is going to be the savior, unfortunately. I'd rather do anything possible to improve the line.

Edited by Nelius

Just now, newcam2012 said:

That's true, today's loss falls squarely on the O.  But that shouldn't blind us to the fact that there have been some issues with the Bills base 4 man pass rush.  We never really made Lawrence uncomfortable forcing him into a bad throw for an INT.  And the Jags had a couple of drives that went on to long and chewed up time robbing the offense of a possession or two.

TN rolled our D up in part because we couldn't pressure Tannehill. 

I think these comments are arising from the off season choice to go all in on improving the D-line and then keeping 11 D-linemen on the roster.  This was a conscious decision that limited what we could do at RB & O line.  So the question becomes is the D line doing enough?  We seem to blitz our safeties and LB's a lot to generate a pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm really not worried about the Bills defense. They are improved from last year. For Christ sake, they gave up 9 points today ams many want to criticize them. Really? I believe the Bills defense is good enough to win  games and make a nice run to the super bowl. For me, the huge concern is the Bills Oline, lack of run game, and Allen playing hero ball. With that said, the Bills offense does have an elite QB and excellent wide receivers. Perhaps, this game will be a wake up call for the Bills? Sometimes a terrible loss ends up being a valuable experience.

With that said, today was a depressing game to watch. Was I the only one that still thought the Bills would win the game? After every failed offensive drive I still thought the Bills would score and win. Saying to myself good teams know how to win...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

Love the work Beane and McD have done overall but they seem to not value size on the lines.

Told Epenesa to slim down. Mentioned that Rousseau might need to slim down. Feliciano goes on the Brady diet. 

There's a pattern, and I think it's costing us on the line. 

Today our OL we're getting knocked aside like bowling pins

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's true, today's loss falls squarely on the O.  But that shouldn't blind us to the fact that there have been some issues with the Bills base 4 man pass rush.  We never really made Lawrence uncomfortable forcing him into a bad throw for an INT.  And the Jags had a couple of drives that went on to long and chewed up time robbing the offense of a possession or two.

TN rolled our D up in part because we couldn't pressure Tannehill. 

I think these comments are arising from the off season choice to go all in on improving the D-line and then keeping 11 D-linemen on the roster.  This was a conscious decision that limited what we could do at RB & O line.  So the question becomes is the D line doing enough?  We seem to blitz our safeties and LB's a lot to generate a pass rush.

That's fair enough. Time will tell if the defense is good enough. After the KC game we all thought the Bills defense was fantastic. Opinions and match ups change week to week in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Seeing a lot of Breida chatter which I get, but keep in mind that he hasn't seen an end zone since he was in San Francisco, and even that year he only saw it twice. I'm increasingly thinking that was a ST pick-up, he just hasn't done anything at RB in 2 years. I don't think Matt Breida is going to be the savior, unfortunately. I'd rather do anything possible to improve the line.

Agree the line gotta improve, but so does the RBs. If your switching guys around to help the run game giving other RBs an opportunity to carry the ball also has to be an option. I don’t believe Motor or Moss have done anything to secure their rolls. Motor looked solid his rookie year as a change of pace back for Gore, but has not proved anything since in my opinion.  I don’t know. I wasn’t comfortable heading into the season with these guys and I’m super frustrated watching them now. Give Williams a shot, just do something to switch something up. 

You can add predictable play calling to the list of what is holding this team back. On that first drive we passed the ball all the way to the 4 yard line and they trot Moss out on the field, I’m sure every Bills fan knew what play was gonna be called, hard to believe the Jags didn’t. 

It’s just bad. I agree a lot of it’s the line but the RBs hold some blame as well. And if you keep making changes with the line and the RBs are showing no progress it’s time to start switching the backs.  This ***** ain’t new, we have struggled with the run game since last year. Maybe it’s the rotation, maybe giving one guy the lead back roll and try to get one of them in better rhythm.  Just do something 

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm really not worried about the Bills defense. They are improved from last year. For Christ sake, they gave up 9 points today ams many want to criticize them. Really? I believe the Bills defense is good enough to win  games and make a nice run to the super bowl. For me, the huge concern is the Bills Oline, lack of run game, and Allen playing hero ball. With that said, the Bills offense does have an elite QB and excellent wide receivers. Perhaps, this game will be a wake up call for the Bills? Sometimes a terrible loss ends up being a valuable experience.

With that said, today was a depressing game to watch. Was I the only one that still thought the Bills would win the game? After every failed offensive drive I still thought the Bills would score and win. Saying to myself good teams know how to win...

My concern is with the offense and not the defense.  BUT, did the Bills make a strategic error in addressing their perceived defensive short comings at the expense of the offense? Because it was the offense that got us to the Championship game last season.  In the off season we focused on the D and it's playing great though I wouldn't say at a Super Bowl level - the let down against TN was a red flag for me.

So while we can defenselessly dominate weak to average offenses we haven't shown we can dominate good to great offense.

And by ignoring RB, the O-line and TE did we miss an opportunity to create an elite offense? We caught a break with Knox improving as much as he did so standing pat at TE worked out but it clearly hasn't worked out for the O-line and RB's.

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Agree the line gotta improve, but so does the RBs. If your switching guys around to help the run game giving other RBs an opportunity to carry the ball also has to be an option. I don’t believe Motor or Moss have done anything to secure their rolls. Motor looked solid his rookie year as a change of pace back for Gore, but has not proved anything since in my opinion.  I don’t know. I wasn’t comfortable heading into the season with these guys and I’m super frustrated watching them now. Give Williams a shot, just do something to switch something up. 

You can add predictable play calling to the list of what is holding this team back. On that first drive we passed the ball all the way to the 4 yard line and they trot Moss out on the field, I’m sure every Bills fan knew what play was gonna be called, hard to believe the Jags didn’t. 

It’s just bad. I agree a lot of it’s the line but the RBs hold some blame as well. And if you keep making changes with the line and the RBs are showing no progress it’s time to start switching the backs.  This ***** ain’t new, we have struggled with the run game since last year. Maybe it’s the rotation, maybe giving one guy the lead back roll and try to get one of them in better rhythm.  Just do something 

Give me one reason why Singletary isn't a decent back.  He works like any RB would here.  Give him carries and he produces.  Give him 6 carries a game and the production is going to be limited.  Even with a terrible line the guy pops off good runs often enough that with more than a handful of carries and chances are he'll break you off some good runs. The less we run the ball the worse the offense looks.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Give me one reason why Singletary isn't a decent back.  He works like any RB would here.  Give him carries and he produces.  Give him 6 carries a game and the production is going to be limited.  Even with a terrible line the guy pops off good runs often enough that with more than a handful of carries and chances are he'll break you off some good runs. The less we run the ball the worse the offense looks.

We don’t run the ball because we are terrible at it.  If we could run the ball we would. 

With the work Singletary has got over the past 2.5 years he has got 5 TDs on the ground. If I do my math correctly that’s 1 every 8 games…. Kid just isn’t a threat. Teams are backing off selling out on covering the pass and we still can’t run. Sure he has a nice run here and there but he has a lot of negative ones as well.  

I’m all for giving one guy more carries trying to get them in better rhythms. Just start changing things up because what we are doing is not ***** working. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty sure losing against the Titans was a terrible loss. If they didn’t wake up from that loss then don’t hold your breath.  

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

Pretty sure losing against the Titans was a terrible loss. If they didn’t wake up from that loss then don’t hold your breath.  

I was stunned by the general ho-hum reaction to the Titans loss as well. Everybody made excuses for it because they naturally thought there was 1 or 2 that would get away, so whatever right, we're elite and in the driver's seat. People acted almost as if we needed to get that one out of the way, when in reality we should have just trusted our elite kicker. Now we're acting like they're the superior team, despite having no Derrick Henry and their #1 TE being 7th round pick Geoff Swaim. How quickly things change in a few weeks.

That was an awful loss and we've looked wrong since then. 

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I need Allen to dirt the ball there. Brady has made a living throwing at guys’ feet when it’s obvious the play is busted from the start. I don’t know what play he thought he was gonna make there, just throw it at the feet of the WR running up the seam and live for the next play.

I'm not understanding this argument at all. The way you describe it you would think Brady never gets sacked. The simplest answer is the correct one - the RT missed the snap and his guy ran by him untouched. That is a sack 99% of the time. QBs in that situation are taught to just hug the ball and go down. It is a total fluke play and there is nothing Allen could have done. There is no reason he should have been prepared for an unblocked defender over his RT.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And if we had dangerous RB's and TE's this approach would work well.  But with Knox out and a pair of RB's that can't outrun LB's  or make safeties miss a tackle, the dump off passes are at best good for a couple of yards. 

And I would say there were a number of te and rb available this offseason and at the deadline. Or the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

My concern is with the offense and not the defense.  BUT, did the Bills make a strategic error in addressing their perceived defensive short comings at the expense of the offense? Because it was the offense that got us to the Championship game last season.  In the off season we focused on the D and it's playing great though I wouldn't say at a Super Bowl level - the let down against TN was a red flag for me.

So while we can defenselessly dominate weak to average offenses we haven't shown we can dominate good to great offense.

And by ignoring RB, the O-line and TE did we miss an opportunity to create an elite offense? We caught a break with Knox improving as much as he did so standing pat at TE worked out but it clearly hasn't worked out for the O-line and RB's.

Fair points. The Bills really needed to improve their pass rush. That's pretty much a given. Also, the Bills we're fully prepared to give KC a run. We all know how Tampa beat KC.  Did they over do it? Perhaps. The team upgraded the wide receiver position with Sanders. I'm assuming they thought younger guys on the Oline and RB Moss would develop and be serviceable. Perhaps they still will? The team is built around Allen's arm, legs, and play making ability. Today, he under preformed under severe duress. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that. That's what leaders do. 

Second guessing is what fans do. We are no exception to this. I trust Beane's processing and decisions more than others. How many questioned the Allen draft pick? Bills brass had/has to make difficult decisions under many variables that are know and unknown. 

Go Bills! Keep the faith, its a long season and we still should win the AFC east. Hope the team peaks at the right time...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.