Breaking News: Odell Beckham is set to be released

Protocal69

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

He and his father posted videos that show him wide open and Baker Mayfield refuses to throw to him. Basically why he is disgruntled.

The thing is... the Browns use a timing scheme where a receiver needs to be at a certain spot on the field at a particular time...and Beckham never is. Meanwhile blaming the QB for not getting him the ball more often. 

Stevie Johnson anyone?

No thanks...

Not accurate imo.  Ive seen multiple breakdowns weeks ago breaking down OBJ and Mayfield.  Play designs vs coverages.  Odell is running the defense beater route.  He is open for a big play and Mayfield looks at the wrong side of the field.  Multiple times in multiple games.  My father is a Browns fan so I watch them more than any other team.  Its a weird situation.  

OBJ would thrive with Buffalos offense and Allen as a qb.  He is probably 10 to 15% less than what his peak was.  He still would be by far the second best wr on the team.  Buffalo is pass first and Beckham would have a opportunity to make plays.   

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Don't count on it. People said the same thing when they picked up Lev Bell. Shady McCoy. Kelvin Benjamin was just "misused" and about to ignite KC...remember that? Josh Gordon this year.

Andy Reid...this is what he does. He picks up players that are about done and tries to squeeze something out of them and it rarely works out well. None of those players mentioned above were key components to win the Chiefs SB. When Beckham is released everyone will see that the dude is living off name recognition right now.

Those guys are not on the same level,  if he goes the Chiefs he will have space playing with Hill & Kelce

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Diggs wasn’t a problem but for a short period.  Beckham has been a problem almost constantly.  

He doesn’t see how the browns will take him to the promised land, so he manufactured his release.  Browns and him are altering his contract to give the browns relief when released.  Does that mean it will be backloaded and continues to be a tough contract for someone to grab him on waivers?  If he does become a UFA, I see him looking at a team that has the chance to go all the way.  Rams, tb?.  

Don’t see him as a fit for the Bills.  Would rather not have him and his issues on this team.

Beckham’s issue’s are a problem but Incognito’s wasn’t 🤦🏽

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

We don’t need him.  He’d take throws away from Diggs and Sanders.

Wouldn’t that be ideal? Who would teams focus on during games?

1 hour ago, bahamasbills said:

Do we really?  Diggs isn't even getting enough targets.  Beasley has games where he isn't targeted.  Gabe Davis isn't getting much burn at all and it isnt because of lack of talent.  Where are these footballs that are left to catch?

I feel they will be there.  It's a long season, and a rotation of WRs may keep them all with "legs" come playoff time.  It's also a hedge against a catastrophic injury.  An injury to Diggs and/or Beasley would be a big problem.    I like Gabe Davis but he's still learning. I like Emanuel Sanders, but those legs have run a lot of routes.  

4 minutes ago, benderbender said:

This may have already been answered, but why didn’t the Browns rework his contract and trade him? His hissy fit happened before the deadline, they had time to make their cap hit minimal AND dump him

off on another team. At least they would have gotten something back in return for him.

That's a really good question.  Perhaps Beckham didn't want to go to any of the teams who enquired about a trade so his reps dragged their feet on the renegotiation?

15 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Those guys are not on the same level,  if he goes the Chiefs he will have space playing with Hill & Kelce

Same level as what? He's guy who made a name for himself years ago, never lived up to what his rep became and has spent years racking up more injuries than TDs. Yea, he's on that level.

Even that video his daddy put our shows his flaws. Time and again you see "he's open" however the reason he was "open" was the play happened on the other side of the field. There are multiple routes they show that he was "open" down the field while Baker was running for his life. Did Beckham do what smart WRs do and work back to the QB? Nah, just ran his route. Never attempted to help his guys out because that would hurt his YPC...right?

Not shown in his daddy's video: The horrendous drops (which is likely a reason Mayfield lost confidence throwing to him) and the fact that a stiff wind puts the guy out for 2 games. 

He's exactly who he looks to be right now. KC getting him would be a moot point. 

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the "something else" the team needs is 1) better OL play 2) an upgrade at RB 3) Josh Allen to set his mind on "take what the defense gives you" at the start of the game.

I think number 3 will benefit 1 and 2 greatly. And really the only way we can relieve the pressure off the OL mid season at this point. 

17 minutes ago, benderbender said:

This may have already been answered, but why didn’t the Browns rework his contract and trade him? His hissy fit happened before the deadline, they had time to make their cap hit minimal AND dump him

off on another team. At least they would have gotten something back in return for him.

Why would he? He needs to get his numbers up this season and play for a deal in the off season. He had no more guaranteed money in his deal. His best move is to to a winner not a team desperate for a guy.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And no team runs more 3-4 WR's then the Bills. 

It probably comes down to a couple factors if they're even talking about OBJ. Are they comfortable with Davis and do they believe Knox is truly a weapon.

I'm interested to see if they're even interested.

I don't think anyone would trade for his contract.

I'm not against OBJ because he would be the best 4th WR in the league.  

I think we are very good at WR so I would take a chance on OBJ....he slips once and just get rid of him quickly.

I’m curious if he clears waivers or if someone claims him off waivers to make sure they get him.  

I bet he clears waivers though.  I think the most likely landing spots (in no particular order) are going to be:

KC (so desperate for a WR they signed Gordon)

Saints (only team to at least inquire about a trade before deadline for OBJ)

Raiders (just lost Ruggs)

Ravens (Still need more help at WR)

Patriots (Need better receiving weapon)

Packers (obvious need at WR).

Outside chance teams:  Niners, Colts, Bills, Eagles.

If I had to place a bet, I think it’s the Packers.  He wants to win, they want to go all in on Rodgers likely last season in GB, and they are a clear favorite in the NFC.  Not only do they need a WR, but they just their starting TE for the season in Tonyan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.