Baldy's breakdown of the week 8 squishing

JÂy RÛßeÒ

As they put Beasley back into this offense, it will open up Diggs, as well. Diggs has been double-covered all season. But I think teams have also figured out that "Keep Allen in the Pocket" is not a game-winning strategy, and we're going to see more blitzes against Allen. I also feel like McD/Daboll have been working to develop the run game this season, and naturally it's come at the expense of the receivers. But the more teams blitz, the more McD/Daboll are going to need to open up the short-yardage crossing routes-- Beasley's wheelhouse. And the more teams have to respect that, the more opportunities will also open up for Diggs/Sanders/Davis. 

I do hope They continue to develop the Bills run game-- it seems to me there has been some incremental improvement from last season. (And, I think we really missed Spencer Brown in that regard) I think we're starting to reach the appropriate balance for this team. (But if I see any more of the old, Dick Jauron-style RRPP offense (run, run, pass, punt) like we did in the first quarter, I might start to lose my hair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

As they put Beasley back into this offense, it will open up Diggs, as well. Diggs has been double-covered all season. But I think teams have also figured out that "Keep Allen in the Pocket" is not a game-winning strategy, and we're going to see more blitzes against Allen. I also feel like McD/Daboll have been working to develop the run game this season, and naturally it's come at the expense of the receivers. But the more teams blitz, the more McD/Daboll are going to need to open up the short-yardage crossing routes-- Beasley's wheelhouse. And the more teams have to respect that, the more opportunities will also open up for Diggs/Sanders/Davis. 

I do hope They continue to develop the Bills run game-- it seems to me there has been some incremental improvement from last season. (And, I think we really missed Spencer Brown in that regard) I think we're starting to reach the appropriate balance for this team. (But if I see any more of the old, Dick Jauron-style RRPP offense (run, run, pass, punt) like we did in the first quarter, I might start to lose my hair.

I have suspected that the Bills coaches are confident enough to continue working on our run game when playing inferior teams, so as to work out the glitches, and are likely to continue to do so against teams they feel they can handily beat. It should help in the long run/post season.  Sure hope the run game becomes a bit more cohesive soon…, 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I have suspected that the Bills coaches are confident enough to continue working on our run game when playing inferior teams, so as to work out the glitches, and are likely to continue to do so against teams they feel they can handily beat. It should help in the long run/post season.  Sure hope the run game becomes a bit more cohesive soon…, 

Go Bills!!!

I was thinking along these lines myself, although one might prefer they rack the score up first, and then start with the developmental plays.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Blitzing is not a winning strategy against Allen either.

It really depends on the strength of the defense. If they're strong at the line, don't blitz. If they're weak at the line, blitz at opportune times. Basically.

Most defenses just don't have the horses up front.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Blitzing is not a winning strategy against Allen either.

It really depends on the strength of the defense. If they're strong at the line, don't blitz. If they're weak at the line, blitz at opportune times. Basically.

Most defenses just don't have the horses up front.

That is certainly true. But the Phins did have a certain amount of success in the first half rushing five, with the FS often putting Allen on the move. As dangerous as Allen is outside the pocket-- leave him flat-footed in the pocket and his receivers will get open, and he will carve the defense up. Remember last season when pundits were saying "keep Allen in the pocket?" I don't think anyone is saying that anymore, and for good reason. 

But, you're right. The game is "won in the trenches," as they say. Our O-line is not terrible, but they do have their weaknesses. Consistency seems to be an issue. There were a few too many plays where the interior seemed to just open up, and in ran Holland, or Wilkins, or some fifth defender. I think also they may struggle a bit against a base 3-4 D in general. And I don't think it's any one linesman. I know a lot of people on here have been bashing Mongo lately, but I'm not sure it isn't a question of scheme. Even Mitch Morse looked out of position at times in the first half. Boettger, too. Is it harder for them to manage a 3-4 in their zone blocking? I don't really know any of this-- I'm just spitballing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

That is certainly true. But the Phins did have a certain amount of success in the first half rushing five, with the FS often putting Allen on the move. As dangerous as Allen is outside the pocket-- leave him flat-footed in the pocket and his receivers will get open, and he will carve the defense up. Remember last season when pundits were saying "keep Allen in the pocket?" I don't think anyone is saying that anymore, and for good reason. 

But, you're right. The game is "won in the trenches," as they say. Our O-line is not terrible, but they do have their weaknesses. Consistency seems to be an issue. There were a few too many plays where the interior seemed to just open up, and in ran Holland, or Wilkins, or some fifth defender. I think also they may struggle a bit against a base 3-4 D in general. And I don't think it's any one linesman. I know a lot of people on here have been bashing Mongo lately, but I'm not sure it isn't a question of scheme. Even Mitch Morse looked out of position at times in the first half. Boettger, too. Is it harder for them to manage a 3-4 in their zone blocking? I don't really know any of this-- I'm just spitballing.

In the 3-4 it's generally easier to disguise who's rushing, depending on personnel. So I'd say it's usually harder to manage for the QB/oline. That could be a thing for this OL. I think we've seen some really crappy communication between them at times, but I'm not sure how much worse they are than other teams in that area.

48 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

But, you're right. The game is "won in the trenches," as they say. Our O-line is not terrible, but they do have their weaknesses. Consistency seems to be an issue. There were a few too many plays where the interior seemed to just open up, and in ran Holland, or Wilkins, or some fifth defender. I think also they may struggle a bit against a base 3-4 D in general. And I don't think it's any one linesman. I know a lot of people on here have been bashing Mongo lately, but I'm not sure it isn't a question of scheme. Even Mitch Morse looked out of position at times in the first half. Boettger, too. Is it harder for them to manage a 3-4 in their zone blocking?
I don't really know any of this-- I'm just spitballing.

Your post encapsulated.

• Haha (+1) 1

When teams are going soft 2-deep zone to keep Josh from breaking off big plays Beasley (esp when Knox is out) is going to have to get 10+ targets. When you have to take what the defense is giving you Beasley is going to have to be one of if not the top target for Josh. 

Beasley is able to eat soft defenses lunch underneath and that is able to chip away at defenses. Glad to see Beasley "back" with that huge game. 

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

I remember bringing this up before preseason. I wanted to see if it looked like the Team had worked on fixing the run game. Since they didn’t change the roster or coaching staff in the off season I knew it all would come down to scheming and play calling. It clearly hasn’t worked, or they never actually worked on it. The run game looks just like last year. The RB ends up facing a scrum of humanity where a hole should be. 

49 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I remember bringing this up before preseason. I wanted to see if it looked like the Team had worked on fixing the run game. Since they didn’t change the roster or coaching staff in the off season I knew it all would come down to scheming and play calling. It clearly hasn’t worked, or they never actually worked on it. The run game looks just like last year. The RB ends up facing a scrum of humanity where a hole should be. 

I don't think this is entirely true. I think there has been some incremental improvements in run blocking, and I also think that Spencer Brown has an aptitude for it. There have been multiple plays where Brown has been responsible for Motor, of Moss (I'll say, especially Moss, who has had more of the power back role) getting an additional three yards, or so. Not to say that our run game is anything above middling, but last season, defenses could effective ignore the run, and still end up stuffing our RBs, on the off chance that Allen actually handed it off.

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Hopefully they blitz more. The way to beat Allen is to drop into coverage and have your line contain him in the pocket, making him take the underneath stuff. Allen shreds the blitz.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Beasley showed a great attitude about it post-game, saying whether they're yelling Bease or Boos they're making a lot of noise and he likes it.

I'm thinking McDermott had a nice talk with Beasley that has clearly manifested into a change of attitude.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Sure does look that way a lot of the time, it’s amazing that Singletary is averaging over 5YPC, just imagine if our blocking schemes actually worked and the QB, OL, and RBs we’re all on the same page…, it makes ya wonder what the results would be, 

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Sure does look that way a lot of the time, it’s amazing that Singletary is averaging over 5YPC, just imagine if our blocking schemes actually worked and the QB, OL, and RBs we’re all on the same page…, it makes ya wonder what the results would be, 

Agreed! Half the time it reminds me of a guy jumping into a big snow pile like when I grew up in WNY! 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

The run defense of Miami was pretty rock solid.

51 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The run defense of Miami was pretty rock solid.

True enough, and maybe that’s why they were using this as an opportunity to gage our run game plan, it could happen… 👍

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

'any other williams out there? any other brother out there? from the stands? FAMILY MEMBERS?!' 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

’They should put this drill at the combine’ was pure gold. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.