A few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

5 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

I loved that exchange between AM and CC.

AM: He hinished 2nd in MVP last year, he seems to be the leader this year...

CC: Yeah, yeah, he's been pretty good but...

AM: 2nd down and 6 off the fake, Josh Allen throws, touchdown!

CC: OK, he's the MVP.

While his predetermined narrative had been collapsing around him all night, that was the moment even Collinsworth could no longer defend it and finally gave up. 

It was beautiful. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This game meant a lot to the Bills. They had to slay their dragon and establish themselves as the top dogs. However the Bills were impressive on both sides of the ball.

Offensively outside of the third quarter they dominated the game moving the ball at will. Defensively they had an effective game plan and executed it perfectly and the special teams were solid.

The Bills are playing like a well oiled machine and it came out in the score winning by not two but three possessions. What impressed me more was coming back after a hour half time delay. That type of delay can cause a shift in momentum and the Bills just crushed it afterwards. 

KC didn’t have Jones and were banged up slightly but the Bills outright dominated and showcased they are for real. Another measuring stick game with big AFC implications on the road against the Titans. Hoping to see another instance of dominance and revenge.

• Like (+1) 2

Agree on Collinsworth.  I normally like him and don't mind him like some other fans do, but his "the thing they're going to be talking about around the water cooler" remark was ridiculous. For starters, that defender DID drive Josh into the ground. It was borderline, but it was no phantom call.

And it felt like the 1st call that went the Bills way all night. I realize that's a homer take, but the Chiefs were bailed out on 3rd down all night, and that call against Dawkins WAS a phantom call.  

Anyway, great write-up.  What a win.  We may have the best team in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

For those who've read these for a while, you'll know that I typically try to let some time pass after each game before writing these.  My goal is to let the emotions, positive or negative, simmer down before attempting to put objective thoughts out there.  However, as some of you may know, I couldn't relax heading into this game and had to put a few thoughts out there for a pre-game.  While only week 5, as all the players reminded us after the game, I knew what was on the line for our confidence and one seed.  I didn't know what to expect, but I know it wasn't the complete domination that was put on display.  If ever there was a game that silenced every single doubt I had about our team, this was it.  If you are hear for negative thoughts at all, please keep scrolling.  In fact, I have more notes for this game than anything I've ever written, so be prepared for some generic headers.  Additionally, everything went so well, that the no particular order will be in full effect this game

1 - Beane - When we made our first two picks in this years draft, it was clear with the selection of Groot and Boogie that the Chiefs were on our mind.  Some, including myself, were skeptical about drafting the same position twice, but Beane (in all his wizardy) proved why he gets paid the big buts.  Boogie surprised me with as much as he was on the field, but absolutely made an impact.  He didn't get a sack, but he disrupted the offensive line from almost every position and didn't let Mahomes get comfortable.  On the other side, Groot justified his selection on the tip and pick.  His size, athleticism, and overall awareness on the field is astounding considering how little NCAA and NFL experience he has.  Both guys were difference makers and you have to credit the plan all the way back in April by Beane.

2 - The Drive - There are so many plays to highlight in this game, but the last touchdown drive was by far the biggest standout to me that encompassed everything in this game.  Up by 11 and coming off a Chiefs touchdown, the 

Secondly, if the Chiefs did well, it's because Mahomes and Reid are amazing.  If the Chiefs did bad, it's because the Chiefs made a mistake.  According to Collinsworth, the Bills had zero to do with the outcome of this game and simply showed up.  You could see the Chiefs thong CC was wearing at times and I'm glad we don't have to hear from him again anytime soon.

The Bills control their destiny to the 1 seed and have a very forgiving schedule coming up.  Let's not have a letdown against the Titans and continue to roll.

Go Bills!!!!

Bah can't edit the part of your post i want to quote.

The big difference in this game imho, is the Bills are a team that has a franchise QB thats an alpha DAWG. He leads the team to play as a pack of dogs after a bone. KC's franchise QB is just a glory hound that we now see is not an alpha male but a whiney little female dog. The post game interviews the contrast is clear.  Sure Mahomes is repeating  the standard losing team rhetoric but it is kinda evident he's only mouthing words he doesn't really believe.  He stresses it take a team to win and they will figure things out.... goes on to awkwardly point out the great players they  brought in and they are great players brought in who have been good  in other places.  Thats plain to see he doesn't believe they are great players based on their current play.  Can't fault him for seeing their stars aren't pulling their weight but a leader gets everybody on the same page. A glory hound who deflects blame and won't shoulder his part  in the losses.  At least not really believing the cliches he's spouting to explain away the loss and lack of team success.  Josh even in victory it seems its always more credit to the We than any concern about the I.  He makes sure the other players get their share of the praise.  The way Patrick seemed to awkwardly try to acknowledge talent on the Chiefs not named Mahomes seemed almost like he couldn't even name the players they brought just using the we brought in great players who are proven in other places.  During the game you tell he knew he couldn't match Allen.  We have a leader who can depend on his teammates and they have a player that needs to depend on gimmicks like shovel passes or no look passes to keep a defense on its heels more than on his talent or teammates.  Without those splash plays he's not really all that great of a qb.  He's never needed to add to his bag of tricks. Well everyone sees the qb behind the curtain now.  Its not surprising the Lombardi isn't in Kansas City anymore.  Even Mother Nature chimed in her opinion dousing Mahomes like the bucket of water took out the wicked witch of the west.  

Edited by AuntieEm
Corrections
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Actually (and this is not intended to argue), I think Josh is still throwing off his back foot at times, but pulling through the throwing motion with his upper body. I am wondering if that is key the adjustment he made. In younger days, I was a college pitcher and pay attention to (albeit different) throwing motions. The second half throw to Knox is where is was most apparent to me. Maybe (I have inadequate knowledge here) his problem was not throwing off his back foot, but not following though, allowing the ball to softly sail. I could easily be wrong on this.

No problem.  I wouldn't be able to explain the finer mechanics, but I get your follow-through point.  I think he got away with some throws with poor mechanics against Houston and Miami.  They sailed as you said but receivers were way open or he got a little lucky.  I was concerned he wouldn't aggressively correct this and a better defense would make him pay.   I didn't see that last night.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Collinsworth also called Josh Allen mediocre in his first 2 seasons.  Inconsistent, jumpy, exciteable, sure, but he has never been mediocre while in a Buffalo uniform

That grinds my gears more than people saying he's not elite now 🤣 that bills team joshs rookie year had zero playmakers on offense besides josh and he straight up carried the team to a .500 record in his starts...people just look at the td/int ratio and completion percentage and assume he was bad it's super lazy analysis.  We had no running game other than Josh and our wrs could not get open and if somehow they were open they'd drop the pass half the time lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

Actually (and this is not intended to argue), I think Josh is still throwing off his back foot at times, but pulling through the throwing motion with his upper body. I am wondering if that is key the adjustment he made. In younger days, I was a college pitcher and pay attention to (albeit different) throwing motions. The second half throw to Knox is where is was most apparent to me. Maybe (I have inadequate knowledge here) his problem was not throwing off his back foot, but not following though, allowing the ball to softly sail. I could easily be wrong on this.

On the bomb to Diggs, under little pressure, Allen didn't have his feet base set and he underthrow the ball to Diggs.  Diggs had to slow down just enough to allow the DB to catch him.  Had Allen with his rocket arm had gotten the ball there on time I think the was an easy TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Collinsworth also called Josh Allen mediocre in his first 2 seasons.  Inconsistent, jumpy, exciteable, sure, but he has never been mediocre while in a Buffalo uniform

That seems to be a common take from people who only look at his stats his 1st 2 seasons & weren't watching him play.  Cowherd has said the same nonsense in the past.  They think they're praising his improvement but i reality, they're showing their own ignorance.  Yesterday someone posted a SI column by a guy who said Josh was approaching being a bust after 2 seasons.  I went nuts on the thread because there was nothing after season 2 to think Josh was a bust.  

• Like (+1) 2

I got blasted early for criticizing Allen for that one play on our first possession when he ran backwards 20 yards and the intentional grounding. 

When I see a bad play it is just that - a bad play and I think Allen just misjudged the defenders speed on that play, BUT what separated that play from years past is the growth and maturity of Allen.

In years past he probably would have dwelt on that and tried to do too much to compensate which would lead to trouble. KC message boards were awash with "here is the Allen we all love..." with laugh emojis galore - Allen quickly shut that down.

It is a bit of a privilege to watch the maturation of Allen into one of the top NFL QB's before our eyes.

Allen shook off that early miscue and just went to work taking apart the KC defense with his arm and his legs. I have always thought that if he could just hit some of those under routes, dumps, and screens he would unleash so much more of his potential that teams have worked to counter by taking away his bread & butter intermediate routes around the sticks and he is doing just that. The chains keep moving and teams have no choice but to start to gamble and creep up a bit which opens things up.

I was a bit worried early that he was not sliding enough on his scrambles, but when he bowled over the KC defenders to score a TD with a wall of blockers in front of him on a designed run, I had to remind myself that this is who Josh Allen is and he is not some fragile piece of glass out there. His ability to run for the sticks causes the safeties to hesitate and cheat towards the LOS and then he is able to unleash absolute bombs to guys that get behind them. It is a necessary element to this offense.

The bombs do not happen if Allen does not have the time and space to either step up or outside the pocket. The Bills are on to something with this OL combination - guys sometimes gave up ground to rushers, but they were fighting the whole way and Allen had room to slide around and side-step those battles. I did not see the jail breaks with O-Linemen standing around looking sheepish. They blocked fantastic and had push when they wanted to exert their will and run the ball.

For Allen and this offense to get closer to their potential we needed to block better, but also we needed to run and be able to get our RBs and TEs more involved as pass receiving weapons out of play action. I was getting annoyed at the number of well-thrown but dropped passes our RBs had early, but they eventually warmed up to the task and Knox is a bonified receiving threat that will open things up for the rest of our receivers.

Those passes to Sanders on a rope were just sick - loved Sanders saying he had to shake off his own Josh "fan-boy" moment:)

Posters come here and try to stir stuff up by talking about how Bills fans were hating on this player or that player and perhaps that happens, but I think for the most part that is misleading LAMP material. Wanting our players to play better in areas is not hating on them. I wanted Knox to become that consistent reliable target that does not put the ball on the ground - that does not mean I hate the player... just wanted to see that growth. He has shown that and I could not be happier for him or my Bills.

I also wanted Edmunds to get better at reading plays, taking the right angles, shedding blocks, and coming up to make stops. This is not hating on Edmunds either, but wanting that complete player we need at MIKE. Most of us have a good idea what he does very well for this defense and where he has struggled. In a recent interview Allen said something to the effect that Edmunds has been playing smarter reading offensive plays and is making it more difficult to practice against him. 

I think that sometimes physically gifted players have a longer football learning curve as they may have more of a history leaning on that superior athleticism and really do not need to become students of the game as much as others players. Edmunds seems to have a better understanding of his own assignments this year and is more decisive - admittedly having an effective rotation of Star and Zim in front of him manning the middle of the DL keeping him clean does not hurt either.

Dabs got a bit predictable in the 3rd quarter. I am not for abandoning the run or the desire to keep the clock running with Mahomes cooling his heels on the sideline, but if you consistently show a pattern of running on 1st down when the opposing team is selling out on run blitzes on 1st down you are effectively throwing away that very play action benefit you worked to create. He needed to let Allen do more play action on 1st downs and unleash passes behind all those defenders selling out... we got a bit predictable and stagnant and I think their self-scouting will show that.

Other than that, I thought it was a solid game. Gone were the missed tackles, instead I saw our secondary coming up and laying the wood on their receivers and everyone flying to the ball gang tacking. Hill may not have alligator-armed that pass that went into Hyde's hands if he had not been hit as often or as hard as he had been.

For a defense that had played on its heels too often last year I like the change in this squad and the injection of young talent along the DL that Beane found. Big test of the run defense coming up against Henry who is a beast, but I like our odds on offense pulling away making it more difficult for the Titans to remain run-centric.

Last year the Titans went away form the man/blitz defenses teams were using against Allen and introduced the double-high safety looks to our beat up squad and our offense sputtered trying to move the the chains against that. Since then Allen has seen it over and over and he has had to work hard to learn what is needed to beat those looks. Good time for a rematch.

Sorry for the long post, but in a weird zombie-tired and wired zone.... like a lot of us I suppose.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, In Summary said:
  • Virgil's day after posts have a nice tone and tenor.  Thanks.
  • For Buffalo not to reestablish it's defensive identity would actually be surprising for a McDermott team.  I enjoy a smothering defense as much as I enjoy the 300+ yard passing performances.

I love the defense a notch MORE. It’s just so damn fun to watch good defense just absolutely wreck what the other team is trying to do. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

On the bomb to Diggs, under little pressure, Allen didn't have his feet base set and he underthrow the ball to Diggs.  Diggs had to slow down just enough to allow the DB to catch him.  Had Allen with his rocket arm had gotten the ball there on time I think the was an easy TD.

Agreed..  Diggs had to kind of come back for the ball and in doing so he turned fully and then had a misstep which allowed the DB to catch up with him.  If that ball was thrown in stride like the earlier ball to Sanders, that is a walk in TD.  

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding #8 Siran Neal deserves a ton of credit here. McDermott used 2 players to replace a single Milano. While Klein got more snaps than Neal, it wasn’t by much. On plays where the Bills predicted Pass, Siran Neal essentially played the Will in coverage, and considering how little usage Kelce got, was darn good in coverage.

Edmunds deserved a lot more praise coming out of this game. For me, he was the defensive MVP. We had a game plan designed to let the chiefs run their crossers and short stuff against Edmunds, and they got barely anything out of it. Sure Hill had a nice game with 7 catches and a TD, but he average less than 10 yards a catch and his long was 17, while Kelce wasn’t a factor.

Edmunds erased huge parts of the field like he was a lock down corner. You can NOT play that scheme against that QB and WRs without an all pro performance from Edmunds 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Diggs play against that relatively unknown CB is the only thing that concerned me a bit.  That said, who knows if that CB was getting safety help with Diggs or what.  Impossible to tell on TV.  

he was fairly handsy as well

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

For those who've read these for a while, you'll know that I typically try to let some time pass after each game before writing these.  My goal is to let the emotions, positive or negative, simmer down before attempting to put objective thoughts out there.  However, as some of you may know, I couldn't relax heading into this game and had to put a few thoughts out there for a pre-game.  While only week 5, as all the players reminded us after the game, I knew what was on the line for our confidence and one seed.  I didn't know what to expect, but I know it wasn't the complete domination that was put on display.  If ever there was a game that silenced every single doubt I had about our team, this was it.  If you are hear for negative thoughts at all, please keep scrolling.  In fact, I have more notes for this game than anything I've ever written, so be prepared for some generic headers.  Additionally, everything went so well, that the no particular order will be in full effect this game

1 - Beane - When we made our first two picks in this years draft, it was clear with the selection of Groot and Boogie that the Chiefs were on our mind.  Some, including myself, were skeptical about drafting the same position twice, but Beane (in all his wizardy) proved why he gets paid the big bucks.  Boogie surprised me with as much as he was on the field, but absolutely made an impact.  He didn't get a sack, but he disrupted the offensive line from almost every position and didn't let Mahomes get comfortable.  On the other side, Groot justified his selection on the tip and pick.  His size, athleticism, and overall awareness on the field is astounding considering how little NCAA and NFL experience he has.  Both guys were difference makers and you have to credit the plan all the way back in April by Beane.

2 - The Drive - There are so many plays to highlight in this game, but the last touchdown drive was by far the biggest standout to me that encompassed everything in this game.  Up by 11 and coming off a Chiefs touchdown, the Bills needed to kill some clock and drive the dagger into the Chiefs soul.  The Chiefs were prepared for the run and unleashed the blitzes.  Almost as if he had their playbook, Daboll called a masterful set of plays to counter anything being thrown at him.  If they blitzed, we called a quick pass to the opposing side.  If they stacked the box, we ran to the outside.  The icing on the cake was on first down inside the 20 when everyone assumed run, but Josh threw an absolute dart into a tight window to Sanders for a touchdown.  Not only was the play calling great, but the execution was perfect.  The Chiefs stacked 10 in the box at times and we were still able to run right through them.  When's the last time we could say that?  The drive was all about the Bills as an organization imposing their will against the reigning AFC champions on prime time to put everyone on notice.

3 - Knox - Cheers to the first tight end since the early nineties to break one hundred yards and score a touchdown.  Just a great game where Knox got open deep, made contested catches, and blocked like a champion all game.  While I've liked Knox since his angry run days, his hands and overall performance made me consider Ertz and Hollister to take the job.  Knox has been nothing short of spectacular this season as a tight end and the relationship between him and Allen is immeasurable.  His awareness on the touchdown pass to follow Allen across the field, make the catch and score from 60 yards out is just another weapon teams now have to plan for.  Knox on wood, but I'd say he's earned himself a drop or two without players calling for his job.

4 - I seem to recognize your face
Haunting familiar, yet I can't seem to place it
Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
Lifetimes are catching up with me
All these changes taking place
I wish I'd seen the place
But no one's ever taken me

5 - Allen - As you know, I don't google or reference stats when writing these, so please save your corrections for the comments.  I believe Allen broke 300 yards on only 15 passing plays and averaged over 15 yards per completion?  At one point, he was 4 for 4 for 185 yards on passes over 15 yards.  I was worried about sugar high or 2022 Josh showing up for this game, but instead got "go ***** yourself" Josh.  He was accurate downfield with huge arm strength.  The first touchdown pass to Sanders was jaw dropping.  No man should be able to make that pass with so little arc and perfectly into a receivers hands from that far out.  It's unfair.  He ran with power and decisiveness.   His first rushing touchdown probably hurt the defenders more than himself.  On "The Drive," he slid after a decent rushing gain and the Honeybadger was standing over him with his arms on his hips, clearly frustrated as if saying "what else can we do?!"  Josh was the best quarterback on the field and it wasn't close to me.  For those who want to complain about his intentional grounding call, Diggs was 10 yards away from his grounded ball and even while laying out sideways, is a throw he can make.  Allen earned every single penny of that 43 million in this game and even hurdled a defender to celebrate!

6 - Hyde's Pick 6 - While Hyde was all over the field and played great, the pick 6 was such a great play that it needs it's own spot.  The Chiefs ran this play before in the game, where Hill went in motion and Tre followed him.  It's a drag route that almost utilizes a pick.  The first time they ran it, Hill got roughly 15 yards.  On this play, which even I saw coming, Hyde picked it up and broke on the pass quickly.  Chris "Chiefs Homer" Collinsworth put the pick on Hill, but I argue that the play of Tre and Hyde created that turnover and put the lead at 18.  Hyde can say it's only game 5, but he was balling tonight and was a main reason why Hill was overall ineffective in this game.  Also, the crushing hit against Kelce by Poyer and removing of Hills helmet might indicate we were a little hyped up and sent a message 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 - Frazier - I've been very critical of the defensive game plans we ran against the Chiefs last year.  However, we almost ran the same scheme against them this game and saw an entirely different result.  What a difference talent and one year makes!.  We didn't send a fifth blitzer during the entire game and gave up everything underneath.  Last year, CEH torched us or Hill/Kelce racked up insane YAC.  This year, our heavy line of Star, Boogie, Groot, and Oliver were making arm tackles as the halfbacks tried to sneak through holes.  Our defense was absolutely swarming to all plays within 10.  We let them catch it, but that was all they got.  I can't count how many gang tackles this team made.  Edmunds was decisive again and shut down multiple runs or plays to the outside.  With that, I formally apologize for my criticism of the game plan last year, as clearly it was a solid one.  There were countless plays were you could see Mahomes first, second, or even third reads be covered and he had to make things happen on the fly.  He was never comfortable and it showed. 

8 - The replacements, part 2 - Milano being out was a big concern heading into this game, as Kelce is such a threat (not tonight).  Klein stepped up in a big way and was very active on the field.  We didn't get to see him blitz, but he definitely wasn't a liability in coverage.  I also liked to see him and Milano talking on the sideline (just another strong relationship that translates on the field).  Additionally, Neal had a great game on defense and special teams.  He laid the thunder to cause a turnover against the Chiefs during a kickoff.  Additionally, he was assigned to cover Kelce and Tyreek a few times, doing a great job.  In a next man up culture, it was on display and both guys showed up solid.

9 - Receivers - Besides Sanders, the Chiefs effectively took Beasley and Diggs out of the game.  We brought in Davis and Kumerow on running plays, which were a bit obvious at times (until the Sanders second TD).  Diggs was concerning to me as it seemed like he was just locked up in single coverage against a relatively unknown defensive back.  Beasley was seen frustrated on the sideline as his usage seemed very low.  To score 38 points without most of our receivers contributing is even more amazing and shows everyone that we are truly multi-dimensional.  I am not worried about any of our receivers bouncing back.

10 - McD - McD thanked Reid for firing him as a defensive coordinator by frustrating him in front of his fans during Prime Time.  I know they have a good relationship and I don't have any issues with Reid.  But anyone telling you this wasn't a chip on McD's shoulder is lying to themselves.  This was a huge win and McD had his team more prepared and executed at a higher lever.  The thing that kept this game close was my fear and Chiefs reputation.  If you watched this game with no knowledge of either team, you would probably pick the Bills to win 9 times out of ten.  Everything, from coaching to players to execution worked in this game, and when that happens, you have to tip your cap to the head coach.

The sullied - I didn't want to disgrace the top 10 by mentioning either of these things, so here's my opportunity.  Also, I apologize to anyone who doesn't know me as I write this as it may leave a bad taste in your mouth about me.  With that, ***** the refs and ***** Chris Collinsworth.  Some calls went against the Chiefs, but my god were they inconsistent.  The phantom hold against Morse should result in a fine.  I understand that a physical game was played, but there was just no excuse for the amount of flags thrown.  Secondly, if the Chiefs did well, it's because Mahomes and Reid are amazing.  If the Chiefs did bad, it's because the Chiefs made a mistake.  According to Collinsworth, the Bills had zero to do with the outcome of this game and simply showed up.  You could see the Chiefs thong CC was wearing at times and I'm glad we don't have to hear from him again anytime soon.

The Bills control their destiny to the 1 seed and have a very forgiving schedule coming up.  Let's not have a letdown against the Titans and continue to roll.

Go Bills!!!!

You should turn this into a blog.  Maybe call it something like ‘The Virgil Vibe’?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.