A few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

49 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Please don’t underestimate the game Rousseau played yesterday. Not only did he have the sack and interception, he took away the Chiefs screen plays to the RB on a couple of occasions. Great draft pick by Beane & Co

Spencer Brown handled Frank Clark pretty dang good for a rookie in his 2nd start. Although I’m not sure how safe it is, it is fun to watch Brown literally ram our running backs from behind for a few extra yards. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

At one point after 2 or 3 flagless plays, the laundry flew and Al sarcastically said that we were due another flag...

Hard to argue with him. The Refs unnecessarily inserted themselves into the game and ruined the entertainment value and the flow with ticky-tacky phantom calls all over the field. The Bills had some amazing runs called back on the weakest of holding calls - who calls a hold on a center away from the play? Not only that, but Morse did his initial punch to the chest of the defender then just settled into his pass-pro stance.

That was it - I nearly choked when Collingsworth started babbling about when you grab a jersey during the replay of what was clearly a phantom call... Was wondering what the hell kind of hallucinogen is was tripping on.

They were effectively ruining the product - I cannot imagine that is what the NFL wants.

Then, he also stated something like that he himself could hold (legally) the shoulder pads all day and be able block everyone.  I was absolutely astounded by that!  Maybe I just misunderstood him?

4 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Then, he also stated something like that he himself could hold (legally) the shoulder pads all day and be able block everyone.  I was absolutely astounded by that!  Maybe I just misunderstood him?

Yeah he said if he could get inside the chest plate of a DL he could hold them all day.

Although that is something you are taught in pop Warner, I am pretty sure any DL player would rag doll him and toss him aside. 

Delusional glory days rambling of a retiree.

Great post, thanks as always!

Just finished the re-watch...Spencer Brown was impressive. He got beat inside by Nick Bolton on a run blitz for a TFL and he allowed a QB hit to Frank Clark, but outside of those two plays, he was really solid in run blocking and in pass pro. Love the way he gets behind the RBs and pushes the pile for a couple extra yards. Also love that he protects his guys and plays with that edge. Was giving Mathieu the business after he knocked the ball out of Josh's hands on his early TD run. I think we might have our RT for the next decade guys!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Their RB got folded in half the wrong way. Kelce got KO'd. Broke an Olinemans hand. Woman beater got injured. Winning the game was great. Beating the ever loving ***** out of them was all encompassing. And doing it in the face of that ***** stain announcer and their crooked ass refs was really just fantastic. Great game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

What a week , two thoughts posts, for  the same game. Again great job on these.

In your pre game thoughts, my response to your post began,

"Oh ye of little faith", and though I completely understand why you felt that way, this is a different year, a better team, and a team that has been trending upwards since our loss in the conference championship game last year (except for the hiccup in week 1 against Pitt).

The transformation has been almost biblical, so what we saw last night was just Sunday school for the Chiefs.

Instead of the former teacher (Reid), his star pupil lead the class.

My thoughts completely out of order:

( 7 and10) Mc D and company schooled the Chiefs with a very well composed and well executed defensive game plan. The defensive line all played well, with Groot the standout. The pressure, rushing 4, was relentless all game on Mahomes and allowed the 2 deep zone to dominate the Chiefs receivers on passing downs. They were stout against the run and contained Mahomes all night. Edmonds, again played at a Pro Bowl level, taking away the short middle, flying around the field like a man possessed. Props to Klein and Neal (8)who filled in great for Milano in coverage. The secondary (6) were again phenomenal, even when Mahomes had 4 -5 seconds in the pocket they stayed true in their zones and took most of his targets away. Finally they all tackled well, no near misses, and if a tackle was missed there was always another Bill to clean it up, so a superb performance by the defense.

On offense, continueing the Sunday school theme, Mc D and the team were reading from the book of Josh. (5)Allen showed everyone why he is a potential MVP candidate. His determination while running was just the attitude that was needed, he would not be denied. I am always amazed at his arm talent, even though I've seen it again and again, the throws this kid makes I still come away thinking that's incredible.

The throws to Sanders, and Diggs (9) were outstanding. When they weren't targeted, and on running plays, all the receivers blocked well, carrying forward the " team " mentality. My only knock against Josh was the grounding play, and if he would of had another second I believe it would of been a completion to Diggs, as he was coming open. Josh falling down, he  just couldn't get it there, or across the line of scrimmage, which would of negated the grounding call.

As I said in your pregame thread, "Knox is our Kelce"(3). All I can say is " Wow" when I see him make these catches. 5 TDs in 5 games, sure hands, and great blocking, where has this guy been for the Bills, forever.

(1) As far as Beane goes, what he has done putting this roster together is nothing less than ledgendary. I don't think it has just been dumb luck, the man knows his business. If he continues like he has, over his next few contracts with the Bills, his career will be HOF worthy. I hope he sticks around for a long time.

(2) the drive is what stuck the knife in the Chiefs, and I was glad too see it. When the Bills scored, you could see the frustration on the KC sidelines, the momentum was set , and that the deal was sealed.

Refereeing and broadcasters:

I feel your frustration, on both counts. There were bad calls and no calls all night, and not just on the Bills. My personal bias aside, the Chiefs were screwed over too. It's hard to believe this is one of the so called best officiating teams in the NFL, because they just plain out sucked.

This broadcast team is the worst in football. Al Michael's needs to retire and I never have liked Collingsworth, even in his playing days. He is a smug, condescending jack azz, and always has been.

On to Tennessee, Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Please don’t underestimate the game Rousseau played yesterday. Not only did he have the sack and interception, he took away the Chiefs screen plays to the RB on a couple of occasions. Great draft pick by Beane & Co

you forgot the TFL.  come on!!

best individual performance by a Bills DL player in a while.  

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Spencer Brown handled Frank Clark pretty dang good for a rookie in his 2nd start. Although I’m not sure how safe it is, it is fun to watch Brown literally ram our running backs from behind for a few extra yards. 

I love Brown ramming the RB’s.  Not sure how they like it.  haha. 

Brown was also a great pick. 

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Great post, thanks as always!

Just finished the re-watch...Spencer Brown was impressive. He got beat inside by Nick Bolton on a run blitz for a TFL and he allowed a QB hit to Frank Clark, but outside of those two plays, he was really solid in run blocking and in pass pro. Love the way he gets behind the RBs and pushes the pile for a couple extra yards. Also love that he protects his guys and plays with that edge. Was giving Mathieu the business after he knocked the ball out of Josh's hands on his early TD run. I think we might have our RT for the next decade guys!

I love his nastyness.  It’s in control and perfect. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Success said:

Agree on Collinsworth.  I normally like him and don't mind him like some other fans do, but his "the thing they're going to be talking about around the water cooler" remark was ridiculous. For starters, that defender DID drive Josh into the ground. It was borderline, but it was no phantom call.

And it felt like the 1st call that went the Bills way all night. I realize that's a homer take, but the Chiefs were bailed out on 3rd down all night, and that call against Dawkins WAS a phantom call.  

Anyway, great write-up.  What a win.  We may have the best team in the NFL.

I think it was 97 who also piled on Allen’s legs while he was down.  If they’re going to call RTP on Oliver, then they have to call it there (on Clark, but frankly the later hit was deserving as well), too. 

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

When we made our first two picks in this years draft, it was clear with the selection of Groot and Boogie that the Chiefs were on our mind.  Some, including myself, were skeptical about drafting the same position twice, but Beane (in all his wizardy) proved why he gets paid the big bucks.  Boogie surprised me with as much as he was on the field, but absolutely made an impact.  He didn't get a sack, but he disrupted the offensive line from almost every position and didn't let Mahomes get comfortable.  On the other side, Groot justified his selection on the tip and pick.  His size, athleticism, and overall awareness on the field is astounding considering how little NCAA and NFL experience he has.

We build our d-line based on depth, not on top end talent. In a way that's how Beane has built the whole roster. But especially on the d-line.

Look at Washington's starting front 4 compared to ours:

Sweat - Allen - Payne - Young

Hughes - Oliver - Lotulelei - Rousseau

You would take any one of Washington's starting front 4 over his counterpart on the Bills, let alone the whole group. Yet our d-line is vastly outperforming them this year. That's a testament to the depth and coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Folks are not talking enough about (i) last night’s likely implications for home field in the playoffs, and (ii) what beating a prime opponent in prime time on the road will do for the confidence of this team in its quest to go win a Super Bowl.

Last night’s win was a huge milestone for McBeane’s program, aka “the Process.”

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, appoo said:

Regarding #8 Siran Neal deserves a ton of credit here. McDermott used 2 players to replace a single Milano. While Klein got more snaps than Neal, it wasn’t by much. On plays where the Bills predicted Pass, Siran Neal essentially played the Will in coverage, and considering how little usage Kelce got, was darn good in coverage.

Edmunds deserved a lot more praise coming out of this game. For me, he was the defensive MVP. We had a game plan designed to let the chiefs run their crossers and short stuff against Edmunds, and they got barely anything out of it. Sure Hill had a nice game with 7 catches and a TD, but he average less than 10 yards a catch and his long was 17, while Kelce wasn’t a factor.

Edmunds erased huge parts of the field like he was a lock down corner. You can NOT play that scheme against that QB and WRs without an all pro performance from Edmunds 

he was fairly handsy as well

+1.   Edmunds was simply outstanding.    Last year, when going against this team, he was still not 100% after that shoulder injury.  Today he was flying all over the place

8 hours ago, In Summary said:

No problem.  I wouldn't be able to explain the finer mechanics, but I get your follow-through point.  I think he got away with some throws with poor mechanics against Houston and Miami.  They sailed as you said but receivers were way open or he got a little lucky.  I was concerned he wouldn't aggressively correct this and a better defense would make him pay.   I didn't see that last night.  

Well certainly no one would consider the KC defense as a 'better defense' .

6 hours ago, Motor26 said:

It must be getting coached, can’t imagine a rookie doing something consistently in a game that the staff doesn’t want him doing. 

10 hours ago, In Summary said:
  • For Buffalo not to reestablish it's defensive identity would actually be surprising for a McDermott team.  I enjoy a smothering defense as much as I enjoy the 300+ yard passing performances.

This point makes me wonder: does defensive dominance LOOK different in 2021 than it has previously?

The Bills defense is absolutely shutting teams down (and yes, holding the Chiefs to 20 at home qualifies). But they're not doing it with a ferocity or physicality or schematic aggressiveness that iconic defenses have historically displayed. Maybe 2021 defensive dominance involves putting "a lid" on explosive offenses and playing disciplined and opportunistic defense underneath? 

• Like (+1) 1

Great write up OP! With you on the DL depth we have now—given the relative difference in TOP (w/o looking it up, did they basically double us in # of plays?) one of the things I was worried about was our D getting gassed and giving up chunk plays—yet that never happened! We looked as fresh and dialed in, perhaps even more so, in the 4th as we did in the 1st—not sure how the rain delay affected that, but still, another pleasant surprise on the night! 

6 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

What a week , two thoughts posts, for  the same game. Again great job on these.

In your pre game thoughts, my response to your post began,

"Oh ye of little faith", and though I completely understand why you felt that way, this is a different year, a better team, and a team that has been trending upwards since our loss in the conference championship game last year (except for the hiccup in week 1 against Pitt).

The transformation has been almost biblical, so what we saw last night was just Sunday school for the Chiefs.

Instead of the former teacher (Reid), his star pupil lead the class.

My thoughts completely out of order:

( 7 and10) Mc D and company schooled the Chiefs with a very well composed and well executed defensive game plan. The defensive line all played well, with Groot the standout. The pressure, rushing 4, was relentless all game on Mahomes and allowed the 2 deep zone to dominate the Chiefs receivers on passing downs. They were stout against the run and contained Mahomes all night. Edmonds, again played at a Pro Bowl level, taking away the short middle, flying around the field like a man possessed. Props to Klein and Neal (8)who filled in great for Milano in coverage. The secondary (6) were again phenomenal, even when Mahomes had 4 -5 seconds in the pocket they stayed true in their zones and took most of his targets away. Finally they all tackled well, no near misses, and if a tackle was missed there was always another Bill to clean it up, so a superb performance by the defense.

On offense, continueing the Sunday school theme, Mc D and the team were reading from the book of Josh. (5)Allen showed everyone why he is a potential MVP candidate. His determination while running was just the attitude that was needed, he would not be denied. I am always amazed at his arm talent, even though I've seen it again and again, the throws this kid makes I still come away thinking that's incredible.

The throws to Sanders, and Diggs (9) were outstanding. When they weren't targeted, and on running plays, all the receivers blocked well, carrying forward the " team " mentality. My only knock against Josh was the grounding play, and if he would of had another second I believe it would of been a completion to Diggs, as he was coming open. Josh falling down, he  just couldn't get it there, or across the line of scrimmage, which would of negated the grounding call.

As I said in your pregame thread, "Knox is our Kelce"(3). All I can say is " Wow" when I see him make these catches. 5 TDs in 5 games, sure hands, and great blocking, where has this guy been for the Bills, forever.

(1) As far as Beane goes, what he has done putting this roster together is nothing less than ledgendary. I don't think it has just been dumb luck, the man knows his business. If he continues like he has, over his next few contracts with the Bills, his career will be HOF worthy. I hope he sticks around for a long time.

(2) the drive is what stuck the knife in the Chiefs, and I was glad too see it. When the Bills scored, you could see the frustration on the KC sidelines, the momentum was set , and that the deal was sealed.

Refereeing and broadcasters:

I feel your frustration, on both counts. There were bad calls and no calls all night, and not just on the Bills. My personal bias aside, the Chiefs were screwed over too. It's hard to believe this is one of the so called best officiating teams in the NFL, because they just plain out sucked.

This broadcast team is the worst in football. Al Michael's needs to retire and I never have liked Collingsworth, even in his playing days. He is a smug, condescending jack azz, and always has been.

On to Tennessee, Go Bills!

Outstanding post as well as Virgil's. All I can say is how impressed I was with the Bill's performance. It was a complete win from coaching to players on down to management. The preparation, focus, and execution was nearly flawless. So many players were outstanding.

Side note, I was happily wrong about my assessment of this game. That game was so much fun to watch. I know it's just one game; but that was more than one game in my eyes. My skepticism has turned to optimism. Go Bills!

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - Receivers - Besides Sanders, the Chiefs effectively took Beasley and Diggs out of the game.  We brought in Davis and Kumerow on running plays, which were a bit obvious at times (until the Sanders second TD).  Diggs was concerning to me as it seemed like he was just locked up in single coverage against a relatively unknown defensive back.  Beasley was seen frustrated on the sideline as his usage seemed very low.  To score 38 points without most of our receivers contributing is even more amazing and shows everyone that we are truly multi-dimensional.  I am not worried about any of our receivers bouncing back.

Overall good write up...but...

Too much is being made about this above by some.  No player had more than 3 receptions on the day.  Its just the way the game went, dont think there was anything concerning at all by anyones play at WR.  It was a result of spreading the ball around, big plays, short fields from turnovers, and Chiefs having a higher TOP.  We just didnt run nearly as many plays either.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Frazier - I've been very critical of the defensive game plans we ran against the Chiefs last year.  However, we almost ran the same scheme against them this game and saw an entirely different result.  What a difference talent and one year makes!.  We didn't send a fifth blitzer during the entire game and gave up everything underneath.  Last year, CEH torched us or Hill/Kelce racked up insane YAC.  This year, our heavy line of Star, Boogie, Groot, and Oliver were making arm tackles as the halfbacks tried to sneak through holes.  Our defense was absolutely swarming to all plays within 10.  We let them catch it, but that was all they got.  I can't count how many gang tackles this team made.  Edmunds was decisive again and shut down multiple runs or plays to the outside.  With that, I formally apologize for my criticism of the game plan last year, as clearly it was a solid one.  There were countless plays were you could see Mahomes first, second, or even third reads be covered and he had to make things happen on the fly.  He was never comfortable and it showed. 

I had high hopes that an improved pass rush would  impact on our pass defense.  The Bills didn’t blitz once during the game, yet PM was hurried most of the game causing him to miss open receivers and make hurried throws.  The pass rush allowed our Dbacks to focus on defending the pass instead of having to worry about RB’s getting past the LOS and into the secondary.

I was most impressed with the tackling.  I don’t remember a missed tackle all night.  The defense was swarming, getting to where the ball was quickly.  Tackling at the LOS was impressive also.  It seemed as soon as a run was made or pass was completed, that player was engulfed by multiple defenders.  Was an impressive defensive showing.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.