A few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree about Diggs - thought he had his worst game as a Bill.  On the deep pass he could’ve scored but he somehow forgot(?) there was a defender chasing him and slowed down.  He dropped a pass on third down and otherwise had trouble separating.  Just not sure what was going on with him.

Not sure what happened on that long catch. I think he just lost his bearings. He ran a great route on that play, but agree otherwise the Chiefs seem to have found a way to shut him down somewhat. That is 3 games he hasn't really popped against them. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure what happened on that long catch. I think he just lost his bearings. He ran a great route on that play, but agree otherwise the Chiefs seem to have found a way to shut him down somewhat. That is 3 games he hasn't really popped against them. 

Shutting him down somewhat involved the DB grabbing or knocking his arm on two seperate occasions, just as he was about to get his hands on the football, either of which could have been called for PI, but weren't. One should have been, imho, but the other was a very cute play by the DB, and was more visible on the TV, from their angle, than from the Zebras angle tbh.

I thought offensively, Daboll came up with a terrific gameplan. We almost reversed what the Chiefs did to us last year. Hurt them deep regularly, and utilised our TE very effectively, while not getting away from running the football either. I think that the early Allen rushes, really kept the KC D 'on their heels', until such time as they simply had to start bringing more to try and get pressure. By which time it was too late. And Allen still hurt them even when they did try and get after him more.

Good to see the DBs etc. being a lot more physical with the Chiefs WRs/TE, preventing them from getting the quick hitters they use to keep the chains moving. Was there holding in that? - For sure, but as they say 'what goes around, comes around', and it wasn't as though the Chiefs DBs weren't still trying to do it either.

If you are going to play any sort of 'bend but don't break D', you need to have either a whole heap of incredibly fit and athletic guys, or you need to be able to rotate guys in and out to keep them fresh. Hence the 8 D-Linemen. You need to be able to do this, as inevitably there will be some drives that take up a fair bit of time by the opposition offense. It looks like that McDermott and Frazier (ably assisted by Beane), have found just about the right blend of youth and experience, combined with a fair bit of talent, for exactly whatever gameplan they come up with. And that's before you look at he DBs, who seem to be universally blessed with what can best be described as 'football smarts'.

As a side note, I was very pleased to see the extension for Taron Johnson. Develop and pay your own, and the kid makes too many plays in this D to let him walk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Shutting him down somewhat involved the DB grabbing or knocking his arm on two seperate occasions, just as he was about to get his hands on the football, either of which could have been called for PI, but weren't. One should have been, imho, but the other was a very cute play by the DB, and was more visible on the TV, from their angle, than from the Zebras angle tbh.

I was okay with both of those non-calls to be honest. They could have been called, especially the second one, and for a crew that is so flag happy generally slightly surprising it wasn't, but I didn't think either was a clear penalty. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was okay with both of those non-calls to be honest. They could have been called, especially the second one, and for a crew that is so flag happy generally slightly surprising it wasn't, but I didn't think either was a clear penalty. 

Yea in the context on the game, with some of the other calls, I found it odd the flag didn't come out but generally ok with them when they are none calls. 

• Like (+1) 1

That last no call on Diggs was a terrible call.  I’m generally all for letting the players play by not calling the ticky tack penalties but that last play the defender clearly held his arm which directly impacted Diggs ability to get both hands on the ball. 

That was a clear impacting penalty, unlike many of the ones called on the Bills.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As I said, the one was a very cute play, and difficult to pick up - I have no problem with that. The other one was more obvious, and to me, it's the act of grabbing the arm that does it, it's deliberate and in no way counts as 'hand fighting' for example, or just contact when both players are going for the football.

No sleep being lost over it though. ;)

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I had high hopes that an improved pass rush would  impact on our pass defense.  The Bills didn’t blitz once during the game, yet PM was hurried most of the game causing him to miss open receivers and make hurried throws.  The pass rush allowed our Dbacks to focus on defending the pass instead of having to worry about RB’s getting past the LOS and into the secondary.

I was most impressed with the tackling.  I don’t remember a missed tackle all night.  The defense was swarming, getting to where the ball was quickly.  Tackling at the LOS was impressive also.  It seemed as soon as a run was made or pass was completed, that player was engulfed by multiple defenders.  Was an impressive defensive showing.  

The defensive game plan was snatched right from Tampa's super bowl game. I wasn't sure if they Bills had the personnel to successfully execute the plan. Poor did they ever.  In many ways, the Bills mimicked the Bucs. It was a sight to see. Locking down a Chiefs offense screams "elite" to me. I'm sold. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

Actually (and this is not intended to argue), I think Josh is still throwing off his back foot at times, but pulling through the throwing motion with his upper body. I am wondering if that is key the adjustment he made. In younger days, I was a college pitcher and pay attention to (albeit different) throwing motions. The second half throw to Knox is where is was most apparent to me. Maybe (I have inadequate knowledge here) his problem was not throwing off his back foot, but not following though, allowing the ball to softly sail. I could easily be wrong on this.

On a few throws in the game he didn't have much of a choice other than throwing a bit flat footed and it really didn't matter.  Look at the (very) deep throw to Diggs and Knox's 3rd catch.  Allen barely stepped into those throws at all and it just didn't matter.  His arm strength is absolutely incredible and honestly it looks like it has gotten stronger.

I think the appropriate comment about broadcasters like Collingsworth/ Michaels is: LAZY! When you are supposed to be the 2021 pre-eminent NFL pair (actually not anymore with any two involving Tony Romo), then don’t rest on your laurels!

If you thought Allen was mediocre, inaccurate and indecisive in his initial year- 2018, well he WAS! Now, the questions to be asked, should have been KNOWN by Collingsworth are the following:

1) Was Allen by nature an inaccurate throwing QB?

2) Was Allen hampered by a highly conservative, locked down, game plan, as McD evaluated his talents!

3) (Most importantly) Was Josh hampered by the cast offs and stiffs from the Sunday Beer League?

Bills fans knew then the dead certainty of 2 & 3!
Aaaand, we saw the morph in 2019, as the Bills upgraded the Receiving corps.

And in 2020? After all the Receiving pieces were set (with a final change) to come, where we saw a dynamic, record setting, MVP candidate of a QB! Able to leap tall corner backs with a single bound, rifle 40 yard strikes while rolling to the sidelines and just outmuscling defenders on Run plays to the marker or the Goal Line!

TRANSFORMATIVE!

Any of us, knew and saw that transpire. How lazy do you have to be, as a prime time broadcaster(s) to not know that about the biggest star on one team? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree about Diggs - thought he had his worst game as a Bill.  On the deep pass he could’ve scored but he somehow forgot(?) there was a defender chasing him and slowed down.  He dropped a pass on third down and otherwise had trouble separating.  Just not sure what was going on with him.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mentioned in the other thread... I think Diggs simply didnt realize he was THAT wide open, and was expecting to get hit as he caught the ball, and when he didnt it took him a sec to get his feet back under him and running down field. It's typical Diggs to make a deep catch and go down before the Safeties lay a lick on him (and a smart move). Kinda bit him this time, but oh well.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mentioned in the other thread... I think Diggs simply didnt realize he was THAT wide open, and was expecting to get hit as he caught the ball, and when he didnt it took him a sec to get his feet back under him and running down field. It's typical Diggs to make a deep catch and go down before the Safeties lay a lick on him (and a smart move). Kinda bit him this time, but oh well.

Yea that was what I thought initially. I think his first priority was "protect the ball" and he expected Sorenson to hit him from behind, when he then didn't get hit and looked to his right and saw Sorenson was still running through treacle trying to get to him he tried to take off again. 

OTHER comments:

1) The weather appeared to favour the Bills. Nobody can discount the 4 turnovers, nor the mediocre performance by former MVP Paddy! I may of missed it, but did either Collingsworth or Michaels mention how many passes Mahomes spiked the ground with? (Hmmm... where did we hear that criticism before? 😂)

Mahomes was flat out off! He was mediocre, his Receivers couldn’t catch balls and WE all suspect that part of that, was Frazier’s scheme to smack any Receiver good- which happened to that loudmouth, smug clown Kelce!

2) Frazier did have a great game. I think, that the Bills think... hey time to take advantage of our status of being a SB elite team, rather than the league loser doormat and let’s play like... the Patsies! We are gonna bump, grind, yank and hold every Receiver we can- especially in certain situations. And because we are elite, we’re rarely gonna be called on it.

3) Allen, because of his running abilities, has DCs terrified. They are never sure whether he is gonna act like a 6-4 RB and bull his way through or OVER for First Downs & TDs or rifle bombs. They don’t know what to do, anymore. 

4) Speaking of the WRs & TEs, I’ve been watching the Bills and live (notthisyearbecauseican’tgetacrossthefreakingborder🙄) since the early 80s. Maybe it’s old age, but I just cannot recall so many Receivers, in so many games, being wide, wide open, by at least 5 yards! This is a testimony to themselves and to Allen who creates these situations, finds and hits them!

5) The Refs were TERRIBLE! Abominable. Clearly, obviously the terrible RTP call on Allen was strict evening off for that eye rolling Holding call previously on Morse! Of course, NO mention of both in the same sentence by the Announcers. Nor a critical Q2 play, where Rousseau’s jersey was yanked off when he was 2 feet from sacking Mahomes at the 20! Obvious, in plain view, missed or ignored by the Refs and never commented on by Chiefs’ Pom Pom Boy- Collingsworth! 

All tolled, it was Allen’s, McDs, Frazier’s & Knox & Moss’s finest hours!

Mahomes does not play well when he has to be patient. Teams have figured out if you can contain Hill, you can make them dink and dunk and Mahomes gets ansty. Hes not getting the highlight throws (he loves to be on ESPN) so he gets lazy with his feet and makes poor throws 

The chiefs know that if Hill can't run wild, they dont have an offense. Its why they signed Josh Gordon. Desperate for another deep threat

Couple that with a bad defense and the chiefs are very beatable. Last week they gave up 32 points to the Eagles. This team is in trouble if Mahomes cant figure out how not to be looking for highlight reels and just play QB. Josh had the same issue (hero ball) and now that hes figured that out, he is the best QB in the AFC 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Remember when we were worried about Josh Allen being able to play at a high level in front of crowds?

Remember when we were worried about Josh Allen being able to play at a high level in weather?

Remember when we were worried about Josh Allen trying too hard against Patrick Mahomes?

Josh with a rowdy home crowd - CHECK

Josh with a rowdy away crowd - CHECK

Josh in heavy winds - CHECK

Josh in rain - CHECK

Josh vs Pat - CHECK

He might not have the cleanest completion percentage right now, but he has erased any (slight) worry I had of him coming into the season.  

Absolute stud, and I think he's the best QB in the league - and still has an insanely high ceiling that we haven't seen yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, beavis said:

The throws to Moss out of the backfield, those are really nice. QB is starting to play a complete game.

Moss was absolutely fantastic with RAC when Josh did target him as well.   

Hopefully we see more of that, because with the aerial assault of deep balls Josh put on film against KC, you have to imagine teams are going to play Safeties deep against us quite a bit.  

Moss/Singletary out of the backfield and some well timed QB draws will shake them out of it real quick.  

Edited by SCBills

I havent seen people mention it, or maybe I just missed it, but I thought a big part of Mahomes being off was how many times our guys were able to hit him. Even when he was running, it seemed every time he was touched he was whining to the refs. I think this impacted him a bunch. So it wasnt just pressure and sacks, but the hits that added up.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.