Pass Interference in the NFL is a complete joke

muppy

5 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

The ones that piss me off the most are when they are borderline calls because our DBs time it well and then it overturns an INT. If it is that close don't call it because not only did you negate a turnover you tacked on yards for the opposing team. That is a pretty big swing in game play.

The others are like the few that were not called when WFT defenders were draped all over our receivers well before the ball and right near the goal line with no one else near. I think one happened with Reggie Gilliam, I believe there were a few more. You know that there are two Back Judges and a Field Judge and it is happening right in front of them yet they just swallowed the whistles.

Edited by WideNine
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No they wouldn’t.

They Absolutely would 

If a CB was ever beat bad he would just tackle the wide receiver... Better to lose 15 yards and save a touchdown 

I

4 hours ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

I have to disagree.  College doesn't give a spot foul for this penalty

And college corners tackle wide receivers to take a penalty and save a touchdown 

Happens a fairly good amount

Cuz it's only 15 yards

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They Absolutely would 

If a CB was ever beat bad he would just tackle the wide receiver... Better to lose 15 yards and save a touchdown 

I

And college corners tackle wide receivers to take a penalty and save a touchdown 

Happens a fairly good amount

Cuz it's only 15 yards

It doesn’t happen a good amount. You’re not thinking this through.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It doesn’t happen a good amount.

I disagree

Throughout all the division 1 conferences.. from the MAC to the SEC, it happens weekly

It doesn't mean every game is a tackling fest downfield... But when a corner gets burned and has a chance to tackle a wide receiver and save a touchdown it happens

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I disagree

Throughout all the division 1 conferences.. from the MAC to the SEC, happens weekly

It doesn't mean every game is a tackling fest downfield... But when a corner gets burned and has a chance to tackle a wide receiver and save a touchdown it happens

It’s very rare. The reason it rarely happens is because if you’re close enough to touch a wr then you’re close enough to make a play on the ball.

CBs beaten badly will hold early in the route. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen so many plays this year where the receiver is open, about to catch a pass,  and the DB arrives a split second early and hits him from behind.  From the naked eye the ref sees perfect timing and a clean pass breakup, but from slo-mo replay, it's clear the receiver was nailed early which causes a 0% chance to catch the ball.  Those are frustrating and should be challengeable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s very rare. The reason it rarely happens is because if you’re close enough to touch a wr then you’re close enough to make a play on the ball.

CBs beaten badly will hold early in the route. 

The difference between college-level cornerbacks and NFL quarterbacks is vast 

Lots of college level cornerbacks can't even turn around their head to make a play on the ball... Zero ball skills.. NFL corners don't even turn their head

So no if they're two steps away, a lot of college cbs are in no position to play the ball...  But they can stop the wide receiver from catching it 

It is Absolutely coached in college to do this in certain situations

Again I never said this happens in every single game.. if you watched 75 college football games(FBS FCS) throughout a week you would see it happen a few times

Edited by Buffalo716

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The difference between college-level cornerbacks and NFL quarterbacks is vast 

Lots of college level cornerbacks can't even turn around their head to make a play on the ball... Zero ball skills.. NFL corners don't even turn their head

So no if they're two steps away, a lot of college cbs are in no position to play the ball...  But they can stop the wide receiver from catching it 

It is Absolutely coached in college to do this in certain situations

Again I never said this happens in every single game.. if you watched 75 college football games(FBS FCS) throughout a week you would see it happen a few times

It’s not an issue in college football. It wouldn’t be an issue in the nfl. I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s not an issue in college football. It wouldn’t be an issue in the nfl. I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. 

My only point was that cornerbacks in the NFL would certainly take advantage of that 15-yard penalty rule

They blatantly interfere now with spot fouls and don't care.. so they absolutely would love the college rules

Not that the NFL is changing it

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

Poor Refereeing has wrecked the NFL since inception? You just have to hope your team is not too bad of a victim when an important game is being played.  Luckily, us Bills fans never had to worry much as we seldom play important games. Things are different right now but I suggest you focus on something else.

The Bills have a long list of improvements needed before the playoffs arrive and they are focusing on that.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

The ones that piss me off the most are when they are borderline calls because our DBs time it well and then it overturns an INT. If it is that close don't call it because not only did you negate a turnover you tacked on yards for the opposing team. That is a pretty big swing in game play.

The others are like the few that were not called when WFT defenders were draped all over our receivers well before the ball and right near the goal line with no one else near. I think one happened with Reggie Gilliam, I believe there were a few more. You know that there are two Back Judges and a Field Judge and it is happening right in front of them yet they just swallowed the whistles.

I hate to beat a dead horse but the replays aren't being shown on a lot of these calls too. #Phantomreplay we commented in the GDT several times..

I like the discussion its great to bounce things offa y'all

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is a never ending argument Ive

read since I jumped on TBD years ago.  I’m out have fun ranting.  Some very true, some not.

thats cool man peace out. Im not as prolific a poster as many here but I enjoy reading you all greatly. Lots of threads to pick and choose

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Muppy said:

I hate to beat a dead horse but the replays aren't being shown on a lot of these calls too. #Phantomreplay we commented in the GDT several times..

I like the discussion its great to bounce things offa y'all

Yup, on those questionable calls I want to see it because more times than not it's either a bad call or bad non-call. Makes me wonder if they do that because they don't want to bring as much attention to some of the poor officiating. IDK

• Agree 1

Absolutely needs to be a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul.

Watching some of the older QBs, like Rodgers and Brady, they don't even throw deep balls to get catches - they throw them to draw DPI, and now you have WRs flopping rather than trying to catch a ball for that purpose. 

Needs to be a 15 yard foul. It works perfectly in college. No one wants to intentionally give up 15 yards

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

In my opinion we are in a time when DB are very penalized by DPI, in order to get back to a fair game:

- Don't allow the WR/TE to push (extending the arms) to get separation at the top of the route, call OPI damn it! [in the rules but rarely called]

- Allow the DB to play through the receiver if DB is playing the ball. Of course DB cannot HIT before the ball arrives, but some contact (basketball style) must be allowed. This will allow DB to defend taller and heavier TEs on curl routes. [update the rules]

- Allow the DB to defend his position  [in the rules, but sometimes DPI is called when contact occurs]

- Don't call DPI if offender initiates contact and DB is not playing the ball (the infamous call on Levi in Steelers game) [I think it is in the rules, but most of the times it goes the other way]

- Allow the DB to guard the offender without playing the ball and without initiating contact [it's in the rules, but sometimes DPI is called]

- Don't call DPI if ball cannot be received [it's in the rules, but very rarely applied]

- Allow hand-checking and hand-fighting, call DPI only if DB grab the jersey and/or lock the arm, and/or block the receiver (one block is allowed no more than 5 yards downfield) [I think rules are not clear]

- LB are allowed to hit the receveivers less than 5 yds downfield (usually on crossing patterns) ? Time ago was a big part of the game. I want to see this again.

I think you only have to do two things:

1) Make it legal for a DB to cut off a guys route again.

2) Make the arm bar legal again

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

On deep passes, what is stopping a defender from tackling a WR while the pass is on its way?

If the WR has his man beat, and the ball is thrown on target, the defender can't lay a finger on the WR. The way it should be.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

My only point was that cornerbacks in the NFL would certainly take advantage of that 15-yard penalty rule

They blatantly interfere now with spot fouls and don't care.. so they absolutely would love the college rules

Not that the NFL is changing it

They won’t. I don’t know if you’re thinking this through. Why would a CB tackle a wr instead of play the ball?

Where we see CBs get beat badly is early in the route and it’s called holding. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They won’t. I don’t know if you’re thinking this through. Why would a CB tackle a wr instead of play the ball?

Where we see CBs get beat badly is early in the route and it’s called holding. 

Did you ever watch Seattle's Legion of Boom during their heyday?  They were often not playing the ball.  Instead,  they took advantage of lax PI enforcement and mauled opposing receivers.  The NFL tightened PI rules as a result of that style of play.

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

Did you ever watch Seattle's Legion of Boom during their heyday?  They were often not playing the ball.  Instead,  they took advantage of lax PI enforcement and mauled opposing receivers.  The NFL tightened PI rules as a result of that style of play.

Another example that's more recent is AFCCG against KC. Bills WR's got held a lot

8 hours ago, BisonMan said:

Not that I'm upset about it but...the Hail Mary play at the end of the Chiefs-Chargers game was some of the worst officiating I've seen when it comes to pass interference. The Chiefs' players were being completely mugged as the ball came down with no attempt to play the ball on the play. 

Interesting. The Cardinals didn’t seem to have a problem with any of this last year 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

It'd be tough for it not to be a spot foul.  WRs would be getting tackled early on every pass over 15 yards (assuming the penalty would be a 15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul). 

I expect missed PI calls to happen in every game.  It's only the egregious ones that piss me off.

This doesn't really happen that much in college and its not a spot foul there.

I think refs should only throw the flag if it's egregious, and that goes for DPI and OPI. Let them fight a little. If the DB clearly mugs the receiver or tackles him well before the ball gets there that's different. Like I don't mind that St Juste didn't get called on DPI when he wrapped Diggs' legs a little early. I'll tip my cap to a good defensive play. But sometimes that is called DPI and it's the inconsistency that's frustrating. How can DBs practice technique if every officiating crew calls it differently?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think refs should only throw the flag if it's egregious, and that goes for DPI and OPI. Let them fight a little. If the DB clearly mugs the receiver or tackles him well before the ball gets there that's different. Like I don't mind that St Juste didn't get called on DPI when he wrapped Diggs' legs a little early. I'll tip my cap to a good defensive play. But sometimes that is called DPI and it's the inconsistency that's frustrating. How can DBs practice technique if every officiating crew calls it differently?

I agree with 90% are the egregious ones but missing egregious ones while calling touchy ones is annoying. The one they gave to Diggs was terrible but then they miss the real one later. But I do generally wish they would not call anything unless it is real bad 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, prissythecat said:

CBs got away with a lot more before that. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

CBs got away with a lot more before that. 

So then the question is why would we want a return to that type of football?   If PI was turned into say a 10 or 15 yard penalty instead of a spot foul,  wouldn't there be a huge incentive for the CB to tackle the receiver if they are about to be badly beaten?

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

So then the question is why would we want a return to that type of football?   If PI was turned into say a 10 or 15 yard penalty instead of a spot foul,  wouldn't there be a huge incentive for the CB to tackle the receiver if they are about to be badly beaten?

It won’t. Lol. Imagine if the Bills had a CB taking 15 yard PI’s every game. He’d be cut. It just wouldn’t happen. 

Plus It’s very hard to do because most of the time CBs don’t know the ball is coming.

They don’t need to change the rules. They just need to change how the refs call it. For example, the intent behind Intentional Grounding is to keep a QB from just dumping a ball with no INTENT to complete a pass. That’s not how it’s called anymore and it’s become a joke. It’s now just about whether he threw the ball somewhere close to a receiver or close to the line of scrimmage. Neither is the intent of the rule. With pass interference it’s much the same. The intent of the rule is NOT whether the DB touched the WR. The intent is whether he INTERFERED with the receivers ability to catch the pass. There’s a difference. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

CONSISTENCY IS KEY

I would be more than happy let the chips fall as they may with calls IF there were some consensus on what IS acceptable and what will be called. The players adjust. The fans decide that the game will never be perfect but at least its consistent as best Humanly possible.

the contact allowed varied from regular season to playoffs ... wether or not refs are going to allow SOME contact or let them play ....

I just think some revisiting by the NFL and referees could mandate a change which would help the game not seem so ridiculous at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, BTB said:

Easy to say the refs blew a call when you get to watch it in super duper slo-mo from 10 different camera angles.  

I don't think the complaint is in regards to close calls but the lack of  consistency among the officials and what is called. The one call that benefitted Diggs was terrible, nothing happened but later when he would of caught the ball most likely except the defender grabbed him was not called. For example watch AFCCG last year and then super bowl, no standards.

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, Muppy said:

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

The problem is re: uncatchable balls, its very subjective.  You also can't call illegal contact or holding if the ball is in the air.  

I don't mind the idea of an upstairs ref in communication with everyone, but football happens pretty fast.  I just like the idea that they can watch a replay of the call maybe once in real time and determine if its good or not.  

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I don't think the complaint is in regards to close calls but the lack of  consistency among the officials and what is called. The one call that benefitted Diggs was terrible, nothing happened but later when he would of caught the ball most likely except the defender grabbed him was not called. For example watch AFCCG last year and then super bowl, no standards.

The old "let em play mantra".  The exact thing happens in hockey, then in the cup finals it seems like they call stuff again.  

It was some solid justice to see their offense and defense just get thrashed with holding calls in the super bowl though.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Thing is that most calls can be easily reversed by watching on replays.

But when challenging the PI was a thing, the refs simply refused to overturn the calls.

And referees who refused with visible evidence should have been fined, suspended or (with repeated occurrences) fired with cause.

6 hours ago, Muppy said:

CONSISTENCY IS KEY

I would be more than happy let the chips fall as they may with calls IF there were some consensus on what IS acceptable and what will be called. The players adjust. The fans decide that the game will never be perfect but at least its consistent as best Humanly possible.

the contact allowed varied from regular season to playoffs ... wether or not refs are going to allow SOME contact or let them play ....

I just think some revisiting by the NFL and referees could mandate a change which would help the game not seem so ridiculous at times.

Teams need to push boundaries to see where boundaries are in game.

PI is a tough call for the refs as it is inherently subjective and every ref and fan interprets the rule differently. I would say that it is good that it is challengeable call but it hardly gets overturned due to the massive burden of proof needed to overturn it. Overall I think PI is just one of those subjective calls that everyone will hate for as long as humans ref the game of football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Did you see the DPI in Raiders-Chargers MNF?

Carr threw very high on purpose, receiver got back to the ball, DB was caught in the middle between the ball and the player, involuntary contact happened -> DPI.

In NBA they are now punishing players making moves just to get the foul, in NFL they must be do the same for this stupid DPIs.

Maybe they should make it a penalty when the receiver gets up and makes a motion for a flag to be thrown.     It happens so often it is crying wolf and it likely makes the refs second guess themselves all the time.     We have all seen situations where there should be no penalty called, but the receiver makes the flag motion, the fans boo and 4 seconds later out comes the flag for pass interference.

Should be unsportsmanlike conduct on the receiver.     

Let the refs call it.   Weed out the refs who suck at calling obvious ones.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Did you see the DPI in Raiders-Chargers MNF?

Carr threw very high on purpose, receiver got back to the ball, DB was caught in the middle between the ball and the player, involuntary contact happened -> DPI.

In NBA they are now punishing players making moves just to get the foul, in NFL they must be do the same for this stupid DPIs.

Incidental contact is allowed like when both the DB and WR are going after the ball and they trip over each other.  But if the DB impedes the player from getting to the ball like in the situation you cite,  that should always get a DPI as per the NFL rule book

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/what-is-the-pass-interference-rule-in-the-nfl

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.